GDT: Oilers at Red Wings 7:00 EST

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If we finish last place the lowest we can pick is #4. It's not completely based on luck,, bad teams are protected
And this is the part that sometimes gets lost in the debate.

A lot can change, but thus far the 2019 class is shaping up to have at least 3-4 wonderful prospects at the top, who are a cut above the rest. And that top group includes some centers and a defenseman to boot.

I don't want Detroit to go winless from here on out. But as long as the kids continue to hang in there and learn, I absolutely would rather they finish dead last and stay in the top 4, versus winning another 5-10 games, and maybe pick in the 6-8 range.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

A lot can change, but thus far the 2019 class is shaping up to have at least 3-4 wonderful prospects at the top, who are a cut above the rest. And that top group includes some centers and a defenseman to boot.

I don't want Detroit to go winless from here on out. But as long as the kids continue to hang in there and learn, I absolutely would rather they finish dead last and stay in the top 4, versus winning another 5-10 games, and maybe pick in the 6-8 range.

Petterson was a #6 pick, look what he’s doing.

Dach and Cozens are #3 and #4 for me, but there’s a lot of hockey left to be played. One of those guys could end up making it to 6-8.

Plus you have Turcotte who is hurt but is a top 5 talent IMO. I would love to get Hughes and top pick top 4, but we can only control so much... luckily I see a lot of good scenarios that could play out.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Y'all still think that scorched earth tanking is the road to success? I have said this here before and I will say it again: Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona. Have they won anything lately? Intentional mediocrity breeds a culture of mediocrity, from which it is very hard to get out. In every area of life, not just in sports.

The only team out of that group that was bad intentionally is Buffalo.

I’m not sure it matters if we are bad on purpose or not at this point. Our “winning culture” isn’t really a thing anymore (only lasts so long, sorry we’re human). Plus I watched Buffalo for years and it doesn’t really look that different than what I am seeing this year. Puck is in our end 2/3 of the game, lots of bad body language, etc.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I don't know why anyone is stressing over placement this early. The best thing from a rebuilding standpoint would be that the team does pretty well for 30-40 games at least so players have decent numbers. After that we can start losing so we're firmly in selling-mode at the TDL and post-TDL we can do like last season and lose 90% of games.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Dach and Cozens are #3 and #4 for me, but there’s a lot of hockey left to be played. One of those guys could end up making it to 6-8.

Plus you have Turcotte who is hurt but is a top 5 talent IMO. I would love to get Hughes and top pick top 4, but we can only control so much... luckily I see a lot of good scenarios that could play out.
True, but you can only deal with what's in front of you. Yes, picks outside the top 3-5 can and do surprise all the time. But it doesn't make it any less ideal to want the best resources available when drafting. And being last in the standings makes your 2nd/3rd round picks a few slots higher as well.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't know why anyone is stressing over placement this early. The best thing from a rebuilding standpoint would be that the team does pretty well for 30-40 games at least so players have decent numbers. After that we can start losing so we're firmly in selling-mode at the TDL and post-TDL we can do like last season and lose 90% of games.
I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm definitely not stressing about it. Certainly not in November. It's just the concept that maximizing the odds is better to me than winning a few more games. (And I've been happy about wins where the kids looked good, because I acknowledge that the next core growing and succeeding is what it's all about to begin with. I'm just making the point that it's not mutually exclusive to want the kids to play well, and to want to finish at the bottom.)

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Green is by far the worst player on the ice tonight

I didn't watch the game, I just watched the expanded highlights... but man, is Dekeyser bad at hockey.

-He was responsible for the Oils 1st goal. Someone mentioned he was giving the Wings another passing option, but you don't leave your nuts showing by playing 'above your ability' with McDavid out there. Gotta at least make one of the best players in the league work for his points.

-With 7 and change left in the 2nd Danny-Dumps-Alot handcuffed Cholo with a pathetic pass wrapped along the boards that gave the Oils a great scoring chance. 2 mins later, DDA does the same crap and the Oils cashed in.

-1:40 left in the 2nd, Dekeyser plays the puck like a mite at center, gives up a quality SC.

-35 seconds left in the 2nd, the hockey gods take pitty on Dekeyser as he manages to dump one on net. Dude gets a deflection off the goalie, off the end boards, off the goalie for a goal? His points need asterisks after them.

-Kassian manhandled him on the Oils 4th, but DDA is a feeble weakling, so can't really say he made any mistake on that one.

So either the guy that put together the highlights (for every game the past 2 years) hates Dekeyser as much as I do, or he flat sucks.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

just couple month ago we didn't expect that Islanders will get Wahlstrom and Dobson at 11 and 12.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008

Pettersson went 5 I think. I don't think we fans expected him to go before Vilardi and Middlestadt. Glass was a riser too if I remember right. Things can change, if only a little.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
just couple month ago we didn't expect that Islanders will get Wahlstrom and Dobson at 11 and 12.
Again, anecdotes happen. It doesn't change the math.

Five years from now, maybe Wahlstrom and Dobson are the best players in the league. Or maybe one or both don't pan out at all. But that's a different discussion than the topic of picking earlier, when you have more choices on the table, versus the cost of losing those regular season games.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pettersson went 5 I think. I don't think we fans expected him to go before Vilardi and Middlestadt. Glass was a riser too if I remember right. Things can change, if only a little.

You’re right, he went 5th. Believe I had him ranked 6th. If I remember right he had a lot of buzz that last month or two before the draft.

I think this draft is still very much TBD after the #2 spot. I also think someone is going to luck out and get Turcotte later than they should.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
You’re right, he went 5th. Believe I had him ranked 6th. If I remember right he had a lot of buzz that last month or two before the draft.

I think this draft is still very much TBD after the #2 spot. I also think someone is going to luck out and get Turcotte later than they should.
He definitely had a pretty amazing highlight reel. He just looked like he was 120 lbs. Looking at him, and Cholowski too, I would give a lot of consideration to the younger and under developed physically. At this point in his draft year Cholowski was like 5'8" I think. Meanwhile, guys like Vilardi, Chychrun, and Tippett were pretty much done growing, physically and otherwise. (I know I am mixing draft classes) There's endless variables in drafting kids at 17/18...it is such guess work on development curves.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Apparently Vegas had a deal worked out to move up a spot to take Glass at 5 but then a Vancouver beat writer outed that they had Pettersson ranked there anyway and Vegas didn't waste a move.

I'm not going to root for losses when I know this team is going to lose a lot. I don't care about tankathon.com position until march, tracking it now is basically useless.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Yeah, and so is getting screwed by lottery odds if the team gets there.

Can’t fathom to see what happens if a team like Chicago gets Hughes because of being screwed over.

It’s why I DESPISE banking on tanking for success. Because that bull**** is absolutely based on luck.
Guaranteed at worst 4th isn't luck. And it's worth more than these meaningless wins for a team going absolutely nowhere. I'm not rooting for them to lose but if they do lose it is actually better for them in the long run.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
The only team out of that group that was bad intentionally is Buffalo.

I’m not sure it matters if we are bad on purpose or not at this point. Our “winning culture” isn’t really a thing anymore (only lasts so long, sorry we’re human). Plus I watched Buffalo for years and it doesn’t really look that different than what I am seeing this year. Puck is in our end 2/3 of the game, lots of bad body language, etc.
I just think that pinning one's hope on the outcome of a lottery is not a veery smart strategy.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
I just think that pinning one's hope on the outcome of a lottery is not a veery smart strategy.

What is a better strategy for a team that sucks? Should we try for some UFAs? Trade?

Why are we arguing about this anyways... This team sucks and will lose hockey games because they suck, not because some fan on some forum is rooting for them to lose. My buddy thinks he is responsible for the Dodgers losing the World Series because he missed one of the games, we fans don't factor in to the win/loss equation.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I didn't watch the game, I just watched the expanded highlights... but man, is Dekeyser bad at hockey.

So either the guy that put together the highlights (for every game the past 2 years) hates Dekeyser as much as I do, or he flat sucks.

DeKeyser is Red Wings TOP3 defencemen in every statistical category you want to pick...

- Scoring chances For/Against relative
- Goals For/Against relative
- HD goals/corsi For/against relative
etc.

Somehow he manages to be better than others in all stat categories. I think you (or the highlight maker) are just nitpicking his mistakes and forget/forgive anybody elses.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I want to compliment how good Nyquist has looked. My man is driving possession on his line and making a lot of smart passes.

he really stepped up, i think he has been out second/third best player this year. I didn't really like him in the years past, but las year and this season he plays a bit tougher, isn't as scared anymore and plays some good defense

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I remember some far more dependable advanced MLB stats saying Johnny Peralta was one of the top defensive shortstops in the game a few years ago, too.

Reactions: avssuc

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
DeKeyser is Red Wings TOP3 defencemen in every statistical.....

I'm assuming "Red Wings top 3" implies negative +/-, turnovers, fewest body checks, time on IR, least amount of time in the gym, and most family members in the stands.

In all seriousness tho, the entire back line is hot garbage, several aren't even NHL worthy. Ericsson is twice the player Dekeyser is... as sad as that sounds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad