GDT: Oilers at Red Wings 7:00 EST

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I just think that pinning one's hope on the outcome of a lottery is not a veery smart strategy.
I don't know that anyone is pinning their hopes solely on the lottery. Certainly the Wings management aren't.

But the reality is that the Wings are bereft of top end talent. One of the ways to acquire that talent is through the draft. It's not the only tool, but it's one of them. And if you want to win a Cup these days you pretty much have to get elite talent through the draft so you have enough cap space left to build a team around them.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I want to compliment how good Nyquist has looked. My man is driving possession on his line and making a lot of smart passes.

He looks about as comfortable as I've ever seen him look in a Wings uniform. He's always been a playmaker first and foremost and I'm happy to see things finally clicking for him.

I wonder if its the transition from the Wings being historically small up front to now being possibly one of the bigger teams (not sure where they rank). Seemed like there was always a lot of pressure on all the Wings forwards to go the net because they only had a couple guys on the forward roster overall who could do so without really being punished. Lots of lines over the years with no one above 5'11 on them. Now its as if Nyquist is the midget up front and there's always a guy or two on his line who is not only prepared to go to the net but is going to be much more effective at it. He can sit back and set up office while one of Ras, Mantha, Bert, Abby, DLR, or even Larkin and AA handle those duties. The fact that scoring is up and goaltending equipment is more form fitting only helps.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
yeah I thought nyquist was lowkey one of our best players last season and that he had his best season since his explosive rookie year

this year he looks to continue his trend of awesome play, but he's putting up more points than he did last season which is nice. Trade bait.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He looks about as comfortable as I've ever seen him look in a Wings uniform. He's always been a playmaker first and foremost and I'm happy to see things finally clicking for him.

I wonder if its the transition from the Wings being historically small up front to now being possibly one of the bigger teams (not sure where they rank). Seemed like there was always a lot of pressure on all the Wings forwards to go the net because they only had a couple guys on the forward roster overall who could do so without really being punished. Lots of lines over the years with no one above 5'11 on them. Now its as if Nyquist is the midget up front and there's always a guy or two on his line who is not only prepared to go to the net but is going to be much more effective at it. He can sit back and set up office while one of Ras, Mantha, Bert, Abby, DLR, or even Larkin and AA handle those duties. The fact that scoring is up and goaltending equipment is more form fitting only helps.

Yep I agree, I think the way he is playing could mean another first round pick at the draft this year. I'm hope that he doesnt block trades to most teams like Green did though. I think he gets a first and Daley could get anoither 2nd even

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
I don't know that anyone is pinning their hopes solely on the lottery. Certainly the Wings management aren't.

But the reality is that the Wings are bereft of top end talent. One of the ways to acquire that talent is through the draft. It's not the only tool, but it's one of them. And if you want to win a Cup these days you pretty much have to get elite talent through the draft so you have enough cap space left to build a team around them.
Well, last year, we wanted to tank to get Dahlin. This year, there is a lot of tank talk for Hughes or whoever. This is what I am basing my comments on. If there was no lottery and the worst team in the standings got to pick first, I'd be OK with this. But to intentionally suck and lose games all year and to then end up picking sixth or seventh, that just does not make sense. I am OK with them not winning, but I want to see a team that tries and fights, and does its best. I live in Orlando, and we have had the Magic here, and they have been so awful that, before every game, you pretty much know they won't even try. I don't want that for the Red Wings.

Reactions: KJoe88

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Looking through possession and scoring chance metrics, daley and abdelkader have been BY FAR the worst players on the team. Its not even remotely close.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Here's to getting a first round pick for him :thumbu:

So many folks here are so quick on wanting to trade him. I feel like if we lose him and Veleno isn't ready next year, who's going to take his place on making good passes? Outside of him, Cholowski Green and Larkin, passing ability in our line up isn't that good and Cholo and Green are both on the back end.... I also wouldn't want to give up AA and Nielsen would be extremely hard to move. Vanek coming off the books at the years end helps open 1 spot so, if reasonable enough contract, I'd be looking to re-sign Nyquist. I think moving him puts to much tilt on guys who can grind and shoot but not much in terms of shipping the puck to them.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
What if I told you we could trade Nyquist and re-sign Nyquist?

I'd rather take the pick for the future than be worried about filling his spot in another "lost" season.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
*says every single fan, every time they are trading away their player on an expiring contract*
When the argument for keeping an expiring contract is to resign the player then yea, I think it's a good time to remind them.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
What if I told you we could trade Nyquist and re-sign Nyquist?

If I'd rather take the pick for the future than be worried about filling his spot in another "lost" season.
It's a possibility but going in the blind, unless we're getting a ridiculously high pick for Nyquist, I'd rather hang on to him. At the end of the day, I don't see him being problematic cap-wise in the near future and odds of us at getting as a good a player as him in the draft is ultimately unlikely. He's a very good player IMO.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So many folks here are so quick on wanting to trade him. I feel like if we lose him and Veleno isn't ready next year, who's going to take his place on making good passes? Outside of him, Cholowski Green and Larkin, passing ability in our line up isn't that good and Cholo and Green are both on the back end.... I also wouldn't want to give up AA and Nielsen would be extremely hard to move. Vanek coming off the books at the years end helps open 1 spot so, if reasonable enough contract, I'd be looking to re-sign Nyquist. I think moving him puts to much tilt on guys who can grind and shoot but not much in terms of shipping the puck to them.

Here's a funny idea: I wonder if we could work a deal with Tampa at some point around Nyquist for Callahan, Killorn, and a pick. They are going to need cap space this summer to re-sign Point. We could afford to eat Callahan's contract for a year, especially if we get the right pick back, and Killorn injects some more talent into our top9. Maybe it's stupid, but that's my "left field" idea.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Here's a funny idea: I wonder if we could work a deal with Tampa at some point around Nyquist for Callahan, Killorn, and a pick. They are going to need cap space this summer to re-sign Point. We could afford to eat Callahan's contract for a year, especially if we get the right pick back, and Killorn injects some more talent into our top9. Maybe it's stupid, but that's my "left field" idea.

Not sure I'm a fan of having Detroit being the dumping ground just to gain picks. I think we're seeing plenty of light at the end of the tunnel already. This is essentially a Nyquist for Killorn and we take a pick to put up with Callahan's contract for a year? (He certainly doesn't add much of what we have.) I think I'd probably just want to keep Nyquist. I doubt thats a 1st rounder we'd be getting, (If Tampa would even be willing to do this.)

Reactions: Winger98

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's a possibility but going in the blind, unless we're getting a ridiculously high pick for Nyquist, I'd rather hang on to him. At the end of the day, I don't see him being problematic cap-wise in the near future and odds of us at getting as a good a player as him in the draft is ultimately unlikely. He's a very good player IMO.
When you say ridiculously high does that include a late first?

Doesn't matter if the pick is better than him. The pick needs to be more conducive to our rebuild. Nyquist in 4 years isn't that helpful, imo.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Doesn't matter if the pick is better than him. The pick needs to be more conducive to our rebuild. Nyquist in 4 years isn't that helpful, imo.
Yup, in 4 years Nyq will be 33. He's already slowing down, and while he seems to have a decent personality, he isn't really a leader. It's time to let contracts expire instead of signing players out of loyalty. Rebuild, not re-sign.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

I still think it's a good idea to trade him for picks, even if we can't scoop him up again later. If this rebuild is going to be accelerated, we need all the 1st and 2nd round picks we can get asap.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Trade Nyquist for late 1st...absolutely. Resign 50/50...sign contingent on Manhta/AA/Bert all scoring < 50pts+ each. So far only Bert is on pace. We need some secondary scoring & Zadina/Veleno are 1 or more years away & unknowns. Vanek will be gone, Nielsen & Helm older, Ras improving, Abby is a buy-out candidate already. Nyquist @ 4.9x3 yrs may be worth considering. He is our 2nd best playmaking F, 3rd overall.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

I actually don’t want him traded and want him resigned.

I think even when the Wings are competitive again, he’d be older, but he’ll still be valuable to the team. Him and Larkin play well together. He still has a good 4-5 years left in him. And because he’s been here a while I think he’s a valued vet here. And he’d be good for Larkin to have around; Always thought as Gus as good potential assistant captain too.

Why should we go out and sign a vet a few years from now when we can still have Nyquist on maybe a modest deal? If he wants to leave for a Cup, then that’s cool, but if he’s willing to stay throughout the rebuild then that’s cool too. He’ll still be a good 40P winger who contribute down the line.

He finally seems to be comfortable as a player and knows his role now.

We’re not in a huge shortage of picks either...

Reactions: Invictus12

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Yup, in 4 years Nyq will be 33. He's already slowing down, and while he seems to have a decent personality, he isn't really a leader. It's time to let contracts expire instead of signing players out of loyalty. Rebuild, not re-sign.
Slowing down?

Have you watched him? This year? Or even last year (not a contract year fwiw)? Arguably his best years since his crazy debut.

And you saying he really isn’t a leader is a bunch of malarkey. Based on interviews and such he seems to be a good locker room guy. Quiet and always seems to be humble.

I don’t understand this mindset of giving him up. This fascination with picks is ridiculous sometimes. The pick we gain from him even if it’s a late first in my view will not accelerate the rebuild more than it already set to. That player we draft more than likely won’t be able to do what Nyquist can do for three to four years and won’t be an NHL’er for at least two to three.

Nyquist has been good since his off year a few years back when he seemed to struggle in every aspect. He probably was low key our second best forward last year behind Larkin - He’s easily our second or third best player this year and could remain that for a couple years longer.

Sometimes keeping guys like Nyquist is more valuable than to give them up. I’ve always believed he’d be a 60P guy on good Wings teams.

Also here’s a hot take. You can resign AND rebuild at the same time. I know, crazy sentiment.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I have time and can see the reasoning behind re-signing Nyquist.

However, it's really hard to get fully signed off behind it for a few reasons and he absolutely needs to be dealt at the deadline regardless. Nyquist should be looking for a long-term contract in the 5+ range. He is that kind of player in this league, but realistically we shouldn't be looking long-term with him or players of his station in terms of importance and locking in longer deals. This is especially true with Abdelkader, Nielsen and DeKeyser already on the roster long-term. I am not with everyone that you cannot be competitive with them around but you cannot gamble on anymore contracts that are of a similar ilk. We cannot really offer Gus more than four years and that shouldn't be the kind of contract he is looking for.

I have time for big game hunting. We will have the space to go aggressively after big guys, but should we fail it isn't time for stop gaps and filler players. Especially not for the next couple off-seasons. If a big ticket item signs that is fine, we should be in on and better be in on high caliber franchise changers like Karlsson, Trouba, heck Bobrovsky would interest me and goalies scare me but if we already knew we struck Jack Hughes gold entering June, I could wrap my head around a Bob pursuit. Nyquist as we know isn't that tier of player, always wonder where his connection with Franzen would have gone had Johan stayed healthy but alas it didn't happen.

We don't line up at this point and time. Gus should go to a playoff team, have a shot at the cup and to up his value. He has done well to start the season and show that value around the league. I like the adjustments he has made to his forecheck the last couple years and he is pretty consistent in terms of what he brings game to game. He should have value and he can make a case for even more of it on a new team as well this year. He should want to hear his offers and not accept a three or four year deal from Detroit. If nothing is better out there we can talk on July 1 about the shorter term he was probably hoping he wouldn't have to take. But you still send him packing for a couple months and Gus should want that as well.

I actually sort of want Gus' fate to be that he is in a better situation next year on a good team. I have always liked him a lot as a player, I really hope he has great success when he leaves. It would be big for his value if it is right away but either way I want him to get a nice contract and play well. As long as it isn't the Leafs I am good with him catching on and doing well somewhere else in the league. I will root for him regardless at this point, just not when he plays us.

Last edited:
Reactions: avssuc and Winger98

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York

No, more like a mid first or earlier. Late first wouldn't be ridiculous at all IMO. I would certainly not right him off when he's still in his early 30s and weighting that against a pick, where the odds are it turns to nothing, I'd rather have Nyquist. If nothing else, from where we are looking ahead, I think we actually have a need for him and no one to pick up the slack as of yet. Even if Veleno does turn out well and is here next year, I still think we could use Nyquist and perhaps another player that can actually make a good pass. Mantha isn't a playmaker, neither is Rasmussen or Bertuzzi or Athanasiou. I don't think I need to mention other guys either... We actually have a need for the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad