GDT: Oilers at Red Wings 7:00 EST

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Larkin seems like he is trying too hard without direction

The big difference I see between him and McDavid is that CMD floats a lot more. Larkin is that Parise- like superhero playing everywhere... McDavid glides for lengths waiting to explode into the play or up ice. Larkin has tremendous heart but trying to go like that with top energy for 82 games isn't sustainable.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
The big difference I see between him and McDavid is that CMD floats a lot more. Larkin is that Parise- like superhero playing everywhere... McDavid glides for lengths waiting to explode into the play or up ice. Larkin has tremendous heart but trying to go like that with top energy for 82 games isn't sustainable.

McDavid can also get away with that because he’s the most talented and best player in the world, haha.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
McDavid isnt "getting away" with anything. He's just very efficient with his skating and that comes down to positioning and IQ, and yeah talent too. Larkin is full motor 100% of the time, wastes a lot of energy.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
McDavid can also get away with that because he’s the most talented and best player in the world, haha.

Yeah there's some types that have the IQ to sit back and anticipate when it's called for. Kane also does it a lot. I'd think all the stars want space like that to roam but it takes strong teammates to be successful.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Mindset of the fan has no impact on how a team performs. Support the tank? I don't care. Support winning? I don't care. To each his own.

I support the tank and want a chance at Hughes. Historical playoff data was discussed on NHL Radio earlier in the week. Teams out of the playoff standings as early as November already face an overwhelming odds against making the playoffs.

The wheels have been coming off for years. Holland blew an opportunity to get in on the McEichel and Matthews sweepstakes to keep limping into the playoffs to pad a streak. There's a chance to land another generational prospect. Might as well take some lumps now and see if we cannot gain a great building piece for the future.

My thoughts on this will have no impact on what actually plays out but it's not like there's no logic behind what we want to see happen.

If we lose, fine. Cool by me.

But to actively cheer for a team to lose that we supposedly love is lamesauce.

Would Hughes be nice? Yeah, and if it comes down to that then great. But we should all cheer and hope for success no matter if the team is bad.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Would Hughes be nice? Yeah, and if it comes down to that then great. But we should all cheer and hope for success no matter if the team is bad.
Why are you always so obsessed with trying to tell people how to fan?

Reactions: odin1981

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

It’s more than that though. Some are actively pissy about wins. Honestly. This team was going to win some hockey games this year. They will also lose more than their fair share. How about we just root for them to do well but not be crushed when they lose?

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
How nice.

You and I have completely different mindsets. You’re on the other side of what I believe, and clearly negative based on how you replied to me.

In my view, we’re not getting Hughes. Florida and LA seem to be actually worse than us with Vegas - not shockingly after their fluke season following suit.

And to reply to your other post, why are you and so many others obsessed with trying to spew such negativity? Goes both ways.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

One cheers for the short term future, one cheers for the long term future. Don’t see a problem with either.

Oct 18, 2006
Not a great game. Nice to see some kids score.

Larkin's worst game for the season, and a while before that. Felt like he didn't have the puck on his stick for more than 30 seconds all night.

Green started out looking as bad as anyone I've seen this season, including Sulak and Hronek and Hicketts. Awful.

Reactions: TheMule93

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
These post game interviews are so painful. the reporters talk so much asking their question that the player doesn't have much left to say other than "yes."
I like Kronner in the post game pressers this season, so succinct, brutally honest, self-accountability etc. Also looked like he wanted to strangle HSJ a few times. He was a calm intensity about him, nerves of steel.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I'm glad Bernier is looking better, at least he looks like an NHL goalie again. Pretty cool that DLR got his first as a Wing. Shame they couldn't get it into OT, I thought this was a winnable game.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
It’s more than that though. Some are actively pissy about wins. Honestly. This team was going to win some hockey games this year. They will also lose more than their fair share. How about we just root for them to do well but not be crushed when they lose?

This sums up my expectation of the team. Really there's only 1 or 2 who are genuinely disturbed by a win, but look out if the Wings were to slowly climb the standings! This place will be a shitshow lol.

My belief is ice the best team you can and let nature take its course.

Reactions: ealong59 and KJoe88

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Losing is success with this team

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

Of course, but that's inevitable. The only chance the Wings have of winning is out-hustling other teams, and the book is already out on that. As Shaman said the entire 2nd line is gone yet it has no effect either way. We might be better without? Almost every player is replaceable. Our best call up for the rest of the season is Wade Megan. If I could say it all in one word- Bernier.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

Yeah, and so is getting screwed by lottery odds if the team gets there.

Can’t fathom to see what happens if a team like Chicago gets Hughes because of being screwed over.

It’s why I DESPISE banking on tanking for success. Because that bull**** is absolutely based on luck.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

Can’t fathom to see what happens if a team like Chicago gets Hughes because of being screwed over.

It’s why I DESPISE banking on tanking for success. Because that bull**** is absolutely based on luck.

If we finish last place the lowest we can pick is #4. It's not completely based on luck,, bad teams are protected

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Wait - do some people actually think that Detroit is tanking?

Reactions: taylorjonl

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

I think you're mistaking floating with positional play. Ovie floats. AA floats. Franzen would float. McDavid is almost always in good position. Like they showed on the Wings feed Larkin over committing and McDavid's response that set up a goal. Hes the same in his end, he may not be playing the boards every shift, he's definitely on his man, and making good defensive plays. While not nearly the same, it would be like saying Lidstrom floated.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015

Y'all still think that scorched earth tanking is the road to success? I have said this here before and I will say it again: Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona. Have they won anything lately? Intentional mediocrity breeds a culture of mediocrity, from which it is very hard to get out. In every area of life, not just in sports.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Y'all still think that scorched earth tanking is the road to success? I have said this here before and I will say it again: Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona. Have they won anything lately? Intentional mediocrity breeds a culture of mediocrity, from which it is very hard to get out. In every area of life, not just in sports.

Bad organizations with bad coaches and bad managers and bad players lose games.

Arizona is a bad example, they have had 2 top 3 draft picks in 15 years, exactly like Toronto and both teams have made it to the playoffs 3 of the last 10 seasons.
Edmonton is a shit team that has been horribly run for over a decade. Trading away a guy who goes on to win the Hart trophy right away is just one example of that.

I do agree that mediocrity is no good, but that is not what anyone is advocating. We are advocating outright suckage. Being in the bottom 10 is no good, you have to be worst. Get some consecutive picks in the top 3 that you can build around, get rid of bad contracts so you can use some cap space in those years with good players on rookie deals. It is not going to work for a bad team, but a team with good management will make it work, like Pittsburgh, like Chicago, like Los Angeles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad