Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 BRUINS 2 F/OT

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It’s intention was to stop the game from going to a shootout with a boring 5 minutes of 4-4 keep away

It’s done that, and I take solace in the fact it’ll likely never happen in the playoffs where overtime’s really matter. But it does suck to watch your team lose with the wide open pond hockey type play

It's not hockey. It's video game hockey. Same thing with the shootout. If I wanted to watch f***ing soccer, I'd watch soccer. I don't because that game sucks. Just like the shootout. :laugh:

Reactions: BMC

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Kampfer did not look bad in the pre-season, he can fill in for Miller easily. They have a day off unless Miller was sent home. Marshy tried a bad Flutie flick, other way around, Bergy gets it to Marchand. Should have used the boards to angle it to Bergy not straight up the middle. Chara has looked great this year the Diet has made a difference. I mean he is playing simple and smart and not over handling the puck.

Mac may never be Doughty, we need to come down to reality he is settling to what he always was. Krug is sadly missed, he is like a 4th winger at times and pushes the pace more then any of the dee we have. He would surely help the other lines get the puck when skating at speed. Maybe Winnik and Stemp should have stuck around for awhile in the minors, wish one was a center, 3rd line is dying without Riley Nash.

I've noticed you saying this about McAvoy....People needing to settle down on him, come back to reality, etc. etc. The kid has already proven he's a top pairing defenseman at the age of 20 years old. He has yet to actually hit the 82 NHL game mark (sits at 70). He isn't even close to hitting that golden 200+ NHL game mark yet. There's no reason why people should simmer down on their expectations for how good he can be. He is still growing as a player, and has all the potential to be a top echelon NHL defenseman. While he's not playing overly well right now, he's still producing points. 6P in 7GP while playing 20+ a night and against the opposing team's top players.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
It's not hockey. It's video game hockey. Same thing with the shootout. If I wanted to watch ****ing soccer, I'd watch soccer. I don't because that game sucks. Just like the shootout. :laugh:

Ya it totally is and I don’t like it either. But I *think* I like scoreless 5 minutes of keep away and then a prolonged shootout even less. The casual fan definitely does.

But there’s nothing like 5-5 20 min sudden death playoff hockey, so hopefully that is never touched

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think the 3 on 3 is pretty entertaining, but I can’t stand the shootout, but I don’t think it’s going anywhere.

If I were to tweak something about the system now, it would be to remove the OT wins from the tiebreaker. As much as I like the 3v3, it’s a gimmick. The tiebreaker should be RW, not ROW.

If I were to really blow it up, something like:

3pts for a regulation win.

2pts for an OT win.

After OT, if tied, that’s how it ends, each team gets a point.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I think the 3 on 3 is pretty entertaining, but I can’t stand the shootout, but I don’t think it’s going anywhere.

If I were to tweak something about the system now, it would be to remove the OT wins from the tiebreaker. As much as I like the 3v3, it’s a gimmick. The tiebreaker should be RW, not ROW.

If I were to really blow it up, something like:

3pts for a regulation win.

2pts for an OT win.

After OT, if tied, that’s how it ends, each team gets a point.

I would tweak OT tie to half a point each team. Otherwise this is very good.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
another 2 goal game.
Our offense clearly needs an upgrade here.
We cant finish and our only threat is that first line.

2 Nites in a row where we easily couldve been up by a couple if we could finish.

If we continue to struggle offensively like this we have to break apart that first line.
Can Debrusk play RW?

I think Cehlarik needs a shot at second line LW. Put him with Krejci and Pasta.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Happy to take a point in the back to back game. Unhappy with the fact that we got 1 of a possible 4 points. I really hope Rask can bounce back and the team plays well in front of him the next time he is in the net or we will have a full on goaltender controversy on our hands...

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Why not give McAvoy a shot on PP1 he has way more skill than Gryz

Grzelyck looks lost on the PP

Really would love to see the top line split...”put them together in 3rd if trailing” to get more balance even though the 2nd line contributed tonight

My ideal top 6 would be

Marchand Bergeron Heinen
DeBrusk Krejci Pastrnak

Roll the top 6 18-20mins a night

Nordstrom/Wagner Kuraly Acciari

Be the shut down 4th line play all the hard Dzone minutes

Than find a way to make a 3rd line of Wagner/Nordstrom Backes Donato Bjork “Providence player”

Try whatever till it clicks

If we balance things out we can have a lethal top 6 a great 4th line than we just need to figure out the 3rd line
1. No. Keep the top line... You don't separate the best line on earth.

2. Dangle Bjork, Donato, whoever in a trade with some picks for a top 6 wing.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Why not give McAvoy a shot on PP1 he has way more skill than Gryz

Grzelyck looks lost on the PP

Really would love to see the top line split...”put them together in 3rd if trailing” to get more balance even though the 2nd line contributed tonight

My ideal top 6 would be

Marchand Bergeron Heinen
DeBrusk Krejci Pastrnak

Roll the top 6 18-20mins a night

Nordstrom/Wagner Kuraly Acciari

Be the shut down 4th line play all the hard Dzone minutes

Than find a way to make a 3rd line of Wagner/Nordstrom Backes Donato Bjork “Providence player”

Try whatever till it clicks

If we balance things out we can have a lethal top 6 a great 4th line than we just need to figure out the 3rd line

I'm shocked they didn't at least LOOK at Krejci + Pasta in the preseason.

Old George

Sep 16, 2018
1. No. Keep the top line... You don't separate the best line on earth.

2. Dangle Bjork, Donato, whoever in a trade with some picks for a top 6 wing.
I'm with you on the keeping the top line together, i would much rather spend on upgrading on our #2 center spot.

sportsvg

Dec 24, 2014
Ontario
Got a point and I think they played worse than the Edmonton game. PP struggled again getting set-up, don't like Donato as the net front guy, doesn't dig out enough pucks and isn't a big enough threat to force them to leave the Bergeron one timer open. When Krug gets back you may have the option of running 3 forwards and 2 D on the first unit and put Marchand as the net guy, I think he would be better at knowing when to jump in and out down low, there are lots of options in that position when you get the puck and I think he would fit well there, McAvoy or Grizz could be on the wall with Krug up top. Another option that works right away is Krejci as the wall guy and Marchand down low and move Donato to the 2nd unit since it's a mess anyway.

Nordstrom I thought looked good, was strong on the puck, McAvoy had a tough one but should learn something from this game. Loved Carlo's game tonight, feel very confident he can be a long term Chara replacement as the shutdown/PK guy.

Last edited:

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Bruins forwards 4-9 need to start generating some pressure and chances. 46 played better last night but his wingers, ooffff. JD74 is ok, but there is a huge fall off after that.

Reactions: BBruins

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
At this point Donato needs to sit or head to Providence for some seasoning, maybe Bjork also. Cassidy said before the game he changed lines and hoped to get some physicality out of the 3rd line last night. Backes got hurt early in the game which took him out of it, Wagner had 8 hits last night himself, Donato none. I know being physical isn't his game but he hasn't hit anyone in 7 games, zero hits. You have to be willing to get involved physically in this game it just doesn't seem that he is willing to pay a price to get his offense going. On top of that, last night they played an Edmonton team that loves to play a tough game he needed to be involved in that. We all know Backes isn't going anywhere for now but he can't stay in the middle on the 3rd line, he has to move to a wing. If he is hurt, call up Cehlarik, move Bjork to 3rd RW and our Cehlarik on 4th.

Pasta-Bergy-March
Heinen-Krec-Derbusk
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Backes
Bjork-Acciari-Wagner

Reactions: BBruins

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
At this point Donato needs to sit or head to Providence for some seasoning, maybe Bjork also. Cassidy said before the game he changed lines and hoped to get some physicality out of the 3rd line last night. Backes got hurt early in the game which took him out of it, Wagner had 8 hits last night himself, Donato none. I know being physical isn't his game but he hasn't hit anyone in 7 games, zero hits. You have to be willing to get involved physically in this game it just doesn't seem that he is willing to pay a price to get his offense going. On top of that, last night they played an Edmonton team that loves to play a tough game he needed to be involved in that. We all know Backes isn't going anywhere for now but he can't stay in the middle on the 3rd line, he has to move to a wing. If he is hurt, call up Cehlarik, move Bjork to 3rd RW and our Cehlarik on 4th.

Pasta-Bergy-March
Heinen-Krec-Derbusk
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Backes
Bjork-Acciari-Wagner

That third line is atrocious. I'd prefer they go with youth instead and leave Backes on the bench, and Nord/Kuraly on the 4th line.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's not hockey. It's video game hockey. Same thing with the shootout. If I wanted to watch ****ing soccer, I'd watch soccer. I don't because that game sucks. Just like the shootout. :laugh:
Amen friend, despise a team sport being determined by a one on one skills competition.

I dunno, I was just never a fan who had issues if/when a game ended in a tie

Reactions: LSCII and BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad