Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 BRUINS 2 F/OT

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
i don't have any issues with the 4th line. IMO, they have done a nice job. the middle 6
has been a mess. krejci was pretty good the last few games but debrusk looks lost (aside
from detroit when he has the 2 G), donato/bjork are learning on the job, and heinen
had a slow start (i liked his game last night). backes is fine as a defensive center but you're
paying him to do more than just that.

Mngt has to look at the Division and decide now or future. Seems to me Bruins are straddling with one foot in recent past/present and one foot hopeful of futures.

Who does Krejci match up best against . . . Tavares or Mathews or neither. And for gods sake, Backes lined up against Kadri? Can he really help to shut down Kadri's line? And the way the Habs have started, 3rd place isn't a lock. This is a descent to good team, but Tampa and Leafs are deep.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
The 4th line has been fine. They're out there banging bodies and fore checking. The third line is pee-wee level, maybe worse.
Think it might be asking a lot of Backes to centre two guys who for all intents are still rookies in the league.

Especially now with the injuries piling up.

Debrusk I’m not worried about. Think he’ll figure out things on his own. It’s finding a right winger for that line that seems to be the one thing Sweeney just can’t come up with.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Think it might be asking a lot of Backes to centre two guys who for all intents are still rookies in the league.

Especially now with the injuries piling up.

Debrusk I’m not worried about. Think he’ll figure out things on his own. It’s finding a right winger for that line that seems to be the one thing Sweeney just can’t come up with.
I don’t think that’s really the case to be honest. He has completely lost his legs, and is clearly 2-3 steps behind. He’s just absolutely abysmal out there.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I don’t think that’s really the case to be honest. He has completely lost his legs, and is clearly 2-3 steps behind. He’s just absolutely abysmal out there.
Wait, Debrusk or Backes lol?

Debrusk hustles. Think he’s been ok there.

Backes I think we all see is on the 17th hole now. Unless something miraculous happens

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Wait, Debrusk or Backes lol?

Debrusk hustles. Think he’s been ok there.

Backes I think we all see is on the 17th hole now. Unless something miraculous happens
Backes, lol. DeBrusk has been fine.

Backes is the old dude at the course who takes 15 practice swings, drives the ball 36 yards and takes 14 to get to the green on a routine par 4.

Reactions: Blowfish

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Backes, lol. DeBrusk has been fine.

Backes is the old dude at the course who takes 15 practice swings, drives the ball 36 yards and takes 14 to get to the green on a routine par 4.
Lol wish it was just old dudes doing that.

My swing has fallen apart so badly I don’t even go anymore.

If I want to be mad for 6 hours I’ll just work.

Reactions: Dr Hook

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Woke up today all I saw McDAVID McDAVID McDAVID ..I WAS A COACH HE WOULD GET IT GOOD . fark that skinning us bullshit I would fix him free wheeling ,

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Woke up today all I saw McDAVID McDAVID McDAVID ..I WAS A COACH HE WOULD GET IT GOOD . fark that skinning us bull**** I would fix him free wheeling ,

It must be tough living in a hockey market like that- I feel for all B's fans that have to live in Canada where there are teams. Local folks don't even cover the Stars where I live and even in Dallas it's all Cowboys all the time, so the media environment is pretty kind for hockey players relatively speaking.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Glad we got a point.

Thank god we only see McDavid twice a year.

Backes is a dead body on skates.

McAvoy was dust.

On to Vancouver.

Backes has not looked good at all. He had a decent game at center his first time up. And he's still an intelligent player. But the game looks too quick for him more often than not.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Backes has not looked good at all. He had a decent game at center his first time up. And he's still an intelligent player. But the game looks too quick for him more often than not.

Well, I have pretty much come around to the idea that he is on his last legs as an NHLer based on last season and the start of this one. But, he is smart as you say, and is a good guy to have out there on the PK when it gets static, and on defensive zone draws. In situations where the pace of the game isn't a factor he still looks decent.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Wasn't there a report the other day that they told Stempniak they aren't signing him?
Need to Know: Bruins at Flames

Stempniak Won't Be Signed

NHL.com Oct 16th
Veteran forward Lee Stempniak, who was on a professional tryout agreement during training camp, has been skating with the Bruins this week but will not be signed at this point, according to Cassidy.
"[Bruins GM Don Sweeney] had a conversation with him; we're gonna stick with what we have right now, so he won't be signed," said Cassidy. "Where that goes from here - he might want to stay in the area and skate. I don't know from there what his decision will be, I don't know what his other options are.
"But we had said to this point, once we go on the trip we want to give him an answer and be up front with him. Right now we're not gonna sign him, that's the answer today.
"Who knows what happens in two weeks if he's still available? But we like the work he did, it's just we're gonna stick with what we have."

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Need to Know: Bruins at Flames

Stempniak Won't Be Signed

NHL.com Oct 16th
Veteran forward Lee Stempniak, who was on a professional tryout agreement during training camp, has been skating with the Bruins this week but will not be signed at this point, according to Cassidy.
"[Bruins GM Don Sweeney] had a conversation with him; we're gonna stick with what we have right now, so he won't be signed," said Cassidy. "Where that goes from here - he might want to stay in the area and skate. I don't know from there what his decision will be, I don't know what his other options are.
"But we had said to this point, once we go on the trip we want to give him an answer and be up front with him. Right now we're not gonna sign him, that's the answer today.
"Who knows what happens in two weeks if he's still available? But we like the work he did, it's just we're gonna stick with what we have."

What a bummer :sarcasm:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
At the end of the quote to me it seems that the door is still open. Who knows how it will unfold, hopefully someone from the AHL starts to separate themselves from the pack.

Yeah unfortunately it wasn't an unequivocal "no." But you're right, moves will be coming if the secondary scoring doesn't improve. Stemp at least would be good for 15 goals.

Reactions: FanSince72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad