Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 BRUINS 2 F/OT

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Why not give McAvoy a shot on PP1 he has way more skill than Gryz

Grzelyck looks lost on the PP

Really would love to see the top line split...”put them together in 3rd if trailing” to get more balance even though the 2nd line contributed tonight

My ideal top 6 would be

Marchand Bergeron Heinen
DeBrusk Krejci Pastrnak

Roll the top 6 18-20mins a night

Nordstrom/Wagner Kuraly Acciari

Be the shut down 4th line play all the hard Dzone minutes

Than find a way to make a 3rd line of Wagner/Nordstrom Backes Donato Bjork “Providence player”

Try whatever till it clicks

If we balance things out we can have a lethal top 6 a great 4th line than we just need to figure out the 3rd line

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
What is with the NPCs that are Oilers "fans"?

Sitting around stiff as a board with those stupid towels around their necks, dead silent all night, except when there is a goal or a play they think is a penalty?

It is bad enough to only have talent because you have sucked long enough to acrue pitty draft picks, but I thought this was a major hockey market? Sure, the stands are full, but these people are robots with their volume turned to 1.

Yuck.

Ugh, just browsing around here..

But you are so right.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Why not give McAvoy a shot on PP1 he has way more skill than Gryz

Grzelyck looks lost on the PP

Really would love to see the top line split...”put them together in 3rd if trailing” to get more balance even though the 2nd line contributed tonight

My ideal top 6 would be

Marchand Bergeron Heinen
DeBrusk Krejci Pastrnak

Roll the top 6 18-20mins a night

Nordstrom/Wagner Kuraly Acciari

Be the shut down 4th line play all the hard Dzone minutes

Than find a way to make a 3rd line of Wagner/Nordstrom Backes Donato Bjork “Providence player”

Try whatever till it clicks

If we balance things out we can have a lethal top 6 a great 4th line than we just need to figure out the 3rd line
There must be a reason to not split the first line.

That said, i think the actual second line will be fine.

I beleive there is a problem with the third line... and Riley Nash hasn't been replace might be a part of what differs from last year

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I actually managed to stay awake, but that was mostly because I was flipping between the Bruins and Sox. Few thoughts....

- Marchand seems off. I know the guy is currently on pace for 140 points, but right now he just seems sloppy and making piss poor decisions with the puck.

- The PP has been atrocious. They are forcing way to many passes through the slot and teams are knocking them down easily. Also, as much as people like to complain about Krejci, the guy can at least get zone. Far to many times have Pasta/Marchand skated full blast up the ice with no support and failed to obtain the zone.

- We've gotten away from what makes us a good team and that is those short supporting passes. Every time Boston start to play like crap you'll notice guys are spread all over the ice. When the B's are on, if someone gets in trouble, there is a teammate within 5-10 feet to take a pass. As the boys in the both say "layers"

- McAvoy has had a rough start to the season. It seems more and more that he's getting beat on a nightly basis. I'm confident he'll turn things around, but its still frustrating because we lean on he and Chara a lot

- We're struggling to get production from lines 2-4, everyone knows this. My gripe though is Cassidy continuously is moving guys in, out, up and down. Outside of the 1st line, no one really gets a chance to build any chemistry. Oh and stop leaving one of Donato/Heinen/Bjork out of the line-up. A guy like Acciari can be replaced with Wagner. I like what Acciari brings physically, but that's really all he brings.

- Lastly (and this one pains me), Boston needs to play the hot hand in net. I'm a big Rask fan, but right now the team just looks better in front of Halak. Now maybe that because his starts have been against BUF/EDM, but the team seems more in control with him in net. I'll admit, I'm getting to a point with Rask where anytime the puck is thrown at the net I think "how is this one going to find its way in".

Last edited:

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Well I'm glad the second line looked alright, hopefully they stay together and can become a solid second line. I think that's a line that should have been put together last year and could work really well so hopefully they can be a solid second line. I think it is a lot easier to focus on fixing the third line than worrying about the entire middle six. Hopefully one of our young centers has a great weekend in Providence and justifies a chance centering the third, I also think it might be a good idea to send Donato down and maybe give Cehlarik a chance.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i thought krech and heinen had good games - heinen especially looked engaged and
made a lot of nice, smart plays. bad circumstance for the b's - oilers home opener,
they are pissed from last week's game, i'll take the point and gotta go to vancouver
and get a W with pettersson out. overall bruins played well tonight - night and day
from that slopfest in calgary.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
i thought krech and heinen had good games - heinen especially looked engaged and
made a lot of nice, smart plays. bad circumstance for the b's - oilers home opener,
they are pissed from last week's game, i'll take the point and gotta go to vancouver
and get a W with pettersson out. overall bruins played well tonight - night and day
from that slopfest in calgary.

Agreed with all this. Thought the team played pretty well in a home opener. Krejci's big asset this year is outchancing his opponent by a decent margin, they need to start cashing in, hopefully Heinen solidifies that right side.

I would send Donato down when they get home, call up Cehlarik and put him on Backes and Bjork's line. If Backes is ok of course. I don't want to see anymore fourth liners in the top 9 (cue Backes jokes)

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Kampfer did not look bad in the pre-season, he can fill in for Miller easily. They have a day off unless Miller was sent home. Marshy tried a bad Flutie flick, other way around, Bergy gets it to Marchand. Should have used the boards to angle it to Bergy not straight up the middle. Chara has looked great this year the Diet has made a difference. I mean he is playing simple and smart and not over handling the puck.

Mac may never be Doughty, we need to come down to reality he is settling to what he always was. Krug is sadly missed, he is like a 4th winger at times and pushes the pace more then any of the dee we have. He would surely help the other lines get the puck when skating at speed. Maybe Winnik and Stemp should have stuck around for awhile in the minors, wish one was a center, 3rd line is dying without Riley Nash.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
Im in the minority, but i thought gryz looked ok on the pp. marchand tries way to hard to feed bergy in the middle on the pp and teams know it.. it was a little bit better than the calgary game, but this team still feels off. when they are in the o-zone it looks like there is zero idea of what to do.. just quick rash decisions that lead to mucking in the corner, then one of the players will work hard to get some space and have no where to go with it.. it looked like the center of the zone was available the whole game but was never exploited..some times i feel like having the easy teams at the beginning of the schedule hurts your more than the points are worth..might take a streak of losing to teams for them to wake up.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
It's a gimmick just like the stupid shoot out. Hate both of them.

It’s intention was to stop the game from going to a shootout with a boring 5 minutes of 4-4 keep away

It’s done that, and I take solace in the fact it’ll likely never happen in the playoffs where overtime’s really matter. But it does suck to watch your team lose with the wide open pond hockey type play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad