Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 BRUINS 2 F/OT

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Amen friend, despise a team sport being determined by a one on one skills competition.

I dunno, I was just never a fan who had issues if/when a game ended in a tie

For me, the shoot-out was put in place for the paying fan, the guy plunking down in some cases serious dough to watch the game in the building. It wasn't really for the guy sitting on his couch at home watching for essentially peanuts.

If I dropped $200 plus on a seat to a NHL game to witness a tie I'd be rotted.

Reactions: lopey

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Had the game on a separate monitor last night while watching the Sox game, but I noticed Backes looks atrocious. I notice no difference from the 2nd half of last season. Call up JFK and give him a shot at 3C, give the kids a chance as your third line, they can still run their gritty 4th line. Cassidy usually spreads the icetime out anyways.

This will probably be hated by a lot of people but I really feel it's time to at least try splitting up the big 3 to improve the scoring depth. They can always go back to it.

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Donato-JFK-Heinen
Acciari-Kuraly-Backes
Nordstrom/Wagner

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
That third line is atrocious. I'd prefer they go with youth instead and leave Backes on the bench, and Nord/Kuraly on the 4th line.
That entire bottom 6 is ugly.

I kind of wonder if they told Stempniak to hang around until after this trip. If 2 of Heinen, Bjork or Donato haven’t shown enough to stay on the big club there’s going to be a roster spot open.

He’d be a cheap filler with some experience. You’d know what you’re getting each night too which all coaches love

Reactions: LSCII

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think I would hate him as much at 3rd line C as I did a few weeks ago.

if you utilize kuraly and another player as a 3A/3B set-up for the 3rd and 4th lines,
i'm ok with him in that "role". i don't think we have that guy right now. but as a legit 3C,
i just don't see it. if the bruins are going to be a legitimate cup threat, they need to fill
that hole with a guy that can handle both ends of the ice. and i expect sweeney knows
this and either frederic/JFK steps up, or a trade is made.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I kind of wonder if they told Stempniak to hang around until after this trip. If 2 of Heinen, Bjork or Donato haven’t shown enough to stay on the big club there’s going to be a roster spot open.

He’d be a cheap filler with some experience. You’d know what you’re getting each night too which all coaches love

Wasn't there a report the other day that they told Stempniak they aren't signing him?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Wasn't there a report the other day that they told Stempniak they aren't signing him?
I thought it was a ‘at that time’ sort of thing.

I could be wrong. Might’ve been a Haggerty story so I probably read a bit of it while rolling it in a ball to use as poop paper

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
they should, but the PA will never approve more hockey for same pay.

Not to mention 3 on 3 is hard on the players. Some have said it themselves during All-star weekend since the format change. You have a lot of ice to cover with just 3 guys out there, it's basically skate-skate-skate for your entire shift.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Had the game on a separate monitor last night while watching the Sox game, but I noticed Backes looks atrocious. I notice no difference from the 2nd half of last season. Call up JFK and give him a shot at 3C, give the kids a chance as your third line, they can still run their gritty 4th line. Cassidy usually spreads the icetime out anyways.

This will probably be hated by a lot of people but I really feel it's time to at least try splitting up the big 3 to improve the scoring depth. They can always go back to it.

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Donato-JFK-Heinen
Acciari-Kuraly-Backes
Nordstrom/Wagner
I really want to see what Heinen can do on Krejci's wing for a few games. If it doesn't work out something like what you posted looks good but first I'd like to see if Heinen can be a solution. I also think Donato should get a few games in the AHL, maybe let Cehlarik get a chance although it would be tough to assess where the issue is if the line didn't work with two new players on it.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Shoulda coulda woulda won that game MAYBE if the refs had a better look at that puck that Nurse batted out. If you dont remember or never seen game, it was seconds before 1st period ended. Pasta made pass to Marchand who shot puck that was stopped by Talbut but it trickled behind him. Marchand went sort of between Talbot and corner of net and shot it in. The puck trickled up Nurses stick and he gloved it out, making swap at the puck with his glove. I had game DVR'd and put it on slow motion, stopping it every fraction of a second. When the puck went up Nurses stick, it hit the inside of the post. I paused it at the perfect time. Puck was definitely in the net. As the puck made it's way back down, that's when Nurse batted it away with his glove. Nurse DID NOT throw the puck out when the puck was going up in the air, it was when the puck was coming down. Therefore it HAD to hit something and it wasnt the post, it was definitely Just inside the crossbar..Who know, may of changed the outcome.
But Bruins played a good game. Oilers are playing much better beating Jets a couple days ago plus those back to backs are tough to play. I thought our 2nd line had it's best game all season and I was thinking that before Krejci scored. Backes played much better when he returned...Decent overall effort.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I thought the Debrusk-Krejci-heinen line played very well tonight. I would let them stick together and try and build some chemistry. At this point just need to try and fix the 3rd line.

Reactions: LouJersey

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
I thought the Debrusk-Krejci-heinen line played very well tonight. I would let them stick together and try and build some chemistry. At this point just need to try and fix the 3rd line.
Agreed, chemistry comes with time and as long as Heinen plays like he did last night it may well work. The third line is actually getting fourth line minutes, but it really does need a major overhaul, scary every time they are on the ice.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Not to mention 3 on 3 is hard on the players. Some have said it themselves during All-star weekend since the format change. You have a lot of ice to cover with just 3 guys out there, it's basically skate-skate-skate for your entire shift.

yeah, it is more work for sure. i'd personally like to see them bump it to 6 minutes.
small change but it'd create less shootouts, and not enough of a bump in playing time
to be that big a deal to the PA (although can't imagine what fehr would ask for in
return - probably no cap :laugh:)

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
Slotting the Bruins forwards 1-3 are the best in the league right now and 10-11-12-13 are a very good 4th line and extra Forward. I guess #4 as Debrusk I might say he could be a #6. I am not sold on Krecij as #4 anymore and there really is no 6-7-8-9 guys on the team at this point.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

i don't have any issues with the 4th line. IMO, they have done a nice job. the middle 6
has been a mess. krejci was pretty good the last few games but debrusk looks lost (aside
from detroit when he has the 2 G), donato/bjork are learning on the job, and heinen
had a slow start (i liked his game last night). backes is fine as a defensive center but you're
paying him to do more than just that.

Reactions: bwunderlich

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
yeah, it is more work for sure. i'd personally like to see them bump it to 6 minutes.
small change but it'd create less shootouts, and not enough of a bump in playing time
to be that big a deal to the PA (although can't imagine what fehr would ask for in
return - probably no cap :laugh:)

I hate it Nugs.Its benefits some teams way more then others.Edmonton is prime example.They gained 2 full pts their last 2 games with it not being 1 pt for a tie.I remember Bruins missing playoffs because of it with more wins then Flyers and Wings.Between that and the soft calls with powerplays steady I am amazed I stick with this league to be quite honest.Must love the Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad