Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Jets 1

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
That Davidson is a major bummer considering how good he was looking, but a slight blessing in disguise maybe if it means Reinhart/Osterle/Musil get auditions. Would not want Davidson injured but since it happened, might as well take advantage of open spot

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Poor Yak omg I cant believe people feel sorry for him.

He got replaced last night with a guy with more goals and points on the year with him, the very next shift they score the game winner.

Great coaching last night.

Well, I agree with you, but playing devil's advocate, I mean, it's more about stats. The thing is, Yak has actually looked pretty good the last few games with McDavid, he's been trying, he's been shooting well, pitching in defensively, he's found the back of the net, he's thrown a few hits, I mean, he's been noticeable, at least. Then, on the other side of the line, Eberle has been even more Eberle than usual. You can practically see the apathy rising off of him. No hustle, no heart, no effort. He hasn't even been doing the one thing he is supposed to do, provide offence. And yet it's Yak that has gotten dropped from the line. Where is the accountability for Eberle and his supremely lackluster play?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Well, I agree with you, but playing devil's advocate, I mean, it's more about stats. The thing is, Yak has actually looked pretty good the last few games with McDavid, he's been trying, he's been shooting well, pitching in defensively, he's found the back of the net, he's thrown a few hits, I mean, he's been noticeable, at least. Then, on the other side of the line, Eberle has been even more Eberle than usual. You can practically see the apathy rising off of him. No hustle, no heart, no effort. He hasn't even been doing the one thing he is supposed to do, provide offence. And yet it's Yak that has gotten dropped from the line. Where is the accountability for Eberle and his supremely lackluster play?

Tough to extract the most trade value possible out of someone when they are not playing alongside McDavid. Eberle will stay there all year and then buh bye.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Exactly my thinking. Yak is producing and playing hard on the line. Eberle isnt producing and isnt trying. Who should be taken off?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Postgame tmac spoke of the mcdavid line giving up too much defensively so he switched yak off, and I agree, kid has no idea what to do defensively.

Not much better offensively IQ wise either. There was the play where mcdavid made the move behind the net (on stafford I think?) and centered the puck perfectly for yak - except he moved from the spot, can't even put home tap ins on amazing plays like that.

He had a nice rush in to the zone with good puck control, makes a play and then gets open and completely whiffs the one-timer. Guy just isn't very good. And the yak-mcd-eberle line has no size to get the puck along the boards/in the corners, nevermind how much time is wasted in their zone trying to get the puck back.

I thought Yak had a pretty good game on the defensive side, he worked hard along the boards to get pucks out and made the simple play when pressured by the defenseman. Thought he had good positioning for the most part, played down the wall to the hash marks and broke up a few plays along the wall and in the slot. In the offensive zone he found himself in good positions and go some shots but like you mentioned he did have some hilariously bad whiffs on a couple shots. Just think the kid is so eager to score he's not loose, he's gripping his stick tight and he's throwing his timing off.

Overall that line isn't great defensively because McD is still inexperienced and gets lost at times in his coverage, Yak is finally learning where to be and working hard but he still makes mistakes and Eberle is just indifferent to that zone all together.

Hope they trade Eberle for a defenseman and pick up Eriksson

Eriksson - McD - Yak could be an unreal line with a strong veteran two way winger leading the way and mentoring them, their defensive game will improve and he's also got the offensive game to compliment both of them very well.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I like Pardy so far, Clendening not so much (still better than Nikitin lol).

Cracknell seems alright and I LOVE Maroon so far (always liked him on Anaheim).

http://lowetide.ca/2016/03/07/as-cold-as-the-clay/

12 more points after 68 games, 2 more wins and within 3 points of last years total with 14 games remaining. Seems Chia/TMac have gotten quite a bit of improvement with an injury filled lineup, looking forward to a few big additions on the blueline this summer.

The big thing for me is that from the 59 points, only 7 were loser points.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Yak has looked ok, but...... you could see before it happened why Yak was taken off that line. It was pretty obvious last night. Hemmed in their zone for 6 straight shifts. You could of took Eberle off that line but really if you were coach who would you rather have on the ice for a tie game with McDavid? A guy with 6 goals on the year or a guy with 20? Easy choice for me and easy choice for the coach.

Im not arguing all day on this, we won the game because we made the switch, pretty hard to argue about it IMO.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

He got replaced last night with a guy with more goals and points on the year with him, the very next shift they score the game winner.

While I'm not a Yak apologist [far from it...likewise with Eberle], you gig is getting obnoxious now.

With you, it's always Eberle vs Yak...you make it sound like Eberle had a play in the GWG when that's far from the truth.:laugh:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
While I'm not a Yak apologist [far from it...likewise with Eberle], you gig is getting obnoxious now.

With you, it's always Eberle vs Yak...you make it sound like Eberle had a play in the GWG when that's far from the truth.:laugh:

There are a long line of Posters, and Media guys, who will jump at driving this young Russian to the Airport when he's traded.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Faulty logic or truth?

All depends on what way you want to look at it I guess.

Trudeau became Prime Minister.
I ate toast on the day he became Prime Minister
Me eating toast is what made him Prime Minister.
Fauly logic or truth? All depends on what way you want to look at it I guess.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Trudeau became Prime Minister.
I ate toast on the day he became Prime Minister
Me eating toast is what made him Prime Minister.
Fauly logic or truth? All depends on what way you want to look at it I guess.

Dam you, you should of ate bacon and Eggs!

Its all your fault! :(

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yak has looked ok, but...... you could see before it happened why Yak was taken off that line. It was pretty obvious last night. Hemmed in their zone for 6 straight shifts. You could of took Eberle off that line but really if you were coach who would you rather have on the ice for a tie game with McDavid? A guy with 6 goals on the year or a guy with 20? Easy choice for me and easy choice for the coach.

Im not arguing all day on this, we won the game because we made the switch, pretty hard to argue about it IMO.

Yakupov scores GWG vs Philly, we win game. Yakupov is main cause. Eberle does nothing

Ifso facto, Yakupov is much better than Eberle.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yakupov scores GWG vs Philly, we win game. Yakupov is main cause. Eberle does nothing

Ifso facto, Yakupov is much better than Eberle.

But did Yakupov also eat toast that morning? These are the questions we need answers to.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Man watching the game I could guarantee this post from you was coming. lol.

Did you note on the first shift Yak wasn't on that line the line got scored on with Korpikoski on it? Or that they got hemmed in frequently in the game?

C'mon. Yak made a perfect feed to McDavid who got stoned on a breakaway. Eberle, McDavid, Yak all got stoned countless times in the game on good shots that often go in.

Meanwhile Korpi gets a gift rebound into an open net and he's scoring nirvana.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

???

No wonder you're not going to stay and argue that faulty logic. Why state it?

We won the game because of Talbot. This was a pretty similar game to the Columbus game with the only difference being Talbot continuing to make hilite reel saves. He's the biggest reason we won the game.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
Man watching the game I could guarantee this post from you was coming. lol.

Did you note on the first shift Yak wasn't on that line the line got scored on with Korpikoski on it? Or that they got hemmed in frequently in the game?

C'mon. Yak made a perfect feed to McDavid who got stoned on a breakaway. Eberle, McDavid, Yak all got stoned countless times in the game on good shots that often go in.

Meanwhile Korpi gets a gift rebound into an open net and he's scoring nirvana.

Pretty much this. I didn't really interpret it as much of a demotion for Yak as more that the third line needed a spark. I think the idea that was thrown around here of spreading out the offence was the case; I thought Yak was having a pretty decent game until the line swap occurred anyways.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Pavelec had some great saves on point blank shots as well, especially in the first two periods. It was a close game that could have went either way. A close 2-1 win by the Oilers wasn't the most unjust result.

Both goalies were excellent disguising two teams making countless defensive breakdowns belying why they are in the positions they are in the standings.

The Oilers just got a whole lot worse after Davidson went down. Looked like a Jets PP a lot of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad