Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Jets 1

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Man watching the game I could guarantee this post from you was coming. lol.

Did you note on the first shift Yak wasn't on that line the line got scored on with Korpikoski on it? Or that they got hemmed in frequently in the game?

C'mon. Yak made a perfect feed to McDavid who got stoned on a breakaway. Eberle, McDavid, Yak all got stoned countless times in the game on good shots that often go in.

Meanwhile Korpi gets a gift rebound into an open net and he's scoring nirvana.

I actually thought Yak was having a alright game. Never said once that he played bad.

The Yak Mc Ebs line got hemmed in for 6 straight shifts. I knew TM was going to switch things up. You either take Ebs off or Yak, either one of them, just make a switch. That being said im not in denial why Ebs stayed there and not Yak.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Pretty much this. I didn't really interpret it as much of a demotion for Yak as more that the third line needed a spark. I think the idea that was thrown around here of spreading out the offence was the case; I thought Yak was having a pretty decent game until the line swap occurred anyways.

Yeah, the only discernible reason last night that Yak could get benched or demoted was taking a penalty, a penalty in defensive end getting a bit aggressive trying to control a puck carrier. In a game in which he was physically engaged all night. I'll take that penalty over a stupid offensive zone penalty or somebody being unengaged physically all night.

Yak yesterday got stoned by Pavelec twice. Something that happened to all the Oilers (why go glove hand, why, why, why,...;)) he also setup McDavid for the breakaway on a perfect pass. On most days this means pts.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Putting McDavid with Korpikoski is dumb.

Really happy with Talbot's play as I'm sure we all are.

**** sakes about Davidson. Probably out for the year from what I understand. He'll be back next year though, hope it's nothing too major.

yaaaaa so dumb, Korp will never score with McDavid, Yak would score like 30 with him..... wait Korp scored the game winner ???:help:
Im confused isn't yak better ... are u telling me Korp scored when yak couldn't

wait a min yak should play with Hall and Drai , he'll def be good there ... hmmm Maroon has more points in 3 games than yak had in a whole month , that can't be Yak is soooooo good

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
???

No wonder you're not going to stay and argue that faulty logic. Why state it?

We won the game because of Talbot. This was a pretty similar game to the Columbus game with the only difference being Talbot continuing to make hilite reel saves. He's the biggest reason we won the game.

Maybe I was getting a little carried away lol

Ill prob agree with you here.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Pretty much this. I didn't really interpret it as much of a demotion for Yak as more that the third line needed a spark. I think the idea that was thrown around here of spreading out the offence was the case; I thought Yak was having a pretty decent game until the line swap occurred anyways.

It wasn't about the third line. Coming from McLellan himself.

We were in a tight game and I thought that line was giving up far too many opportunities against, and Korpi was playing hard on the walls-this team pinches a lot, they do some heavy board work- and Korpi was real strong on the boards, so it was more a defensive maneuver on our behalf.

I do think Yak was having a fine game but I still sense that Eberle is going to be giving premium minutes for an offseason trade.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I actually thought Yak was having a alright game. Never said once that he played bad.

The Yak Mc Ebs line got hemmed in for 6 straight shifts. I knew TM was going to switch things up. You either take Ebs off or Yak, either one of them, just make a switch. That being said im not in denial why Ebs stayed there and not Yak.

Thanks for the reply. Thing is the line continued to get hemmed in and physically dominated after the switch and no one more than Eberle. So I do agree some different looks could have occurred.

But a lot of the looks this team continues with are strange at best. We load up first unit PP with everything we got and then put Letestu, Kass, Yak on 2nd PP unit. This made it easy for Jets and other clubs to just shutdown the one unit which we overload, and then the next one doesn't have a QB or playmaker. These are elemental assignments that McLellan is getting wrong. Theres no way Drai, and McDavid, our two capable Centers, should be on the same PP unit, or same line, anytime.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
haha

kudos on the sodium reduction today. ;)

At least we're winning the odd game and have a legit starting goalie

progress....:D

Yea Talbot really really starting to grow on me. I wasnt totally convinced in December if he was a legit starter. Im alot closer now though.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Jordan "Schultz" Eberle with 2 goals in his last 12 games. He's given up on the team and he's given up on his teammates. Time to start packing your bags, Jordan; and not for golf.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Exactly like everyone has stated. Yak was having a good game and being physical. Then he finds himself on the fourth line. What does that say to Yak?

Wait, who cares right? If I"M reading this right, that means that Yak won't be moved next season. Best way to get Yak moved is to showcase him alongside McDavid.

Does that mean Eberle is being showcased?

At this point I don't even care. Unless TM has had talks with Yak about his lack of role, and Yak understands, then I guess we're ok. But still, Yak was doing so well with McDavid, and then suddenly he's gone.

The Korp/McDavid/Eberle was a steaming hot pile of garbage all night. They couldn't even get anything going offensively and they were hemmed all night in the defensive zone.

Trollmark*

Ebs and Yak are both gone in the offseason. Not a single reason to keep any of them.

Just worried about the return...

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Both goalies were excellent disguising two teams making countless defensive breakdowns belying why they are in the positions they are in the standings.

The Oilers just got a whole lot worse after Davidson went down. Looked like a Jets PP a lot of the time.

Fair enough. My post was just a response to those that want to put the win solely on Talbot's shoulders. I thought each team played equally well/poor, and a close one goal win by Edmonton was not an unreasonable result.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If only this team had a PP.

McDavid has 2 PP points in the last 16 games. Eberle has 1.

It looked like they were going to be able to overcome Woodcroft in McDavid's first couple of games back, but he has prevailed.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
If only this team had a PP.

McDavid has 2 PP points in the last 16 games. Eberle has 1.

It looked like they were going to be able to overcome Woodcroft in McDavid's first couple of games back, but he has prevailed.

Find me a top 10 pp, ill find you a top offensive dman anchroing it.

Woodcroft cant blast point shots from the point. Its really that simple.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Fair enough. My post was just a response to those that want to put the win solely on Talbot's shoulders. I thought each team played equally well/poor, and a close one goal win by Edmonton was not an unreasonable result.

Oh yeah, despite Jets having the run of play they had Pavelec making sensational saves. How many times in a game do you see Eberle, McDavid robbed multiple times close in?

When Jets broke down they were giving up 5 bell scoring chances.

This Jets team is really bad. I think like the Flames they just had a year last year that disguised a lot of their lineup issues. This is just not a very good team. Not a very talented team.

At least as an Oiler fan I can feel things are getting better. The Jets are gravitating to being a really bad club. Its going to be interesting to see how that market forgives that.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
On the Lowetide show this morning they speculated that Yak being taken off the first line wasnt a demotion. They were saying how the third line with Korpse was getting killed, but when they put Yak on that line it started playing much more effective hockey. Yak was put on that line to get it going.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Exactly like everyone has stated. Yak was having a good game and being physical. Then he finds himself on the fourth line. What does that say to Yak?

Wait, who cares right? If I"M reading this right, that means that Yak won't be moved next season. Best way to get Yak moved is to showcase him alongside McDavid.

Does that mean Eberle is being showcased?

At this point I don't even care. Unless TM has had talks with Yak about his lack of role, and Yak understands, then I guess we're ok. But still, Yak was doing so well with McDavid, and then suddenly he's gone.

The Korp/McDavid/Eberle was a steaming hot pile of garbage all night. They couldn't even get anything going offensively and they were hemmed all night in the defensive zone.

I think its cause Eberle cant really play "third line hockey". Yak crashes bodies and hustles hard and that fits well on a third line. Eberle is a skill player who needs to play with skill.

McDeathbyCheerios*

On the Lowetide show this morning they speculated that Yak being taken off the first line wasnt a demotion. They were saying how the third line with Korpse was getting killed, but when they put Yak on that line it started playing much more effective hockey. Yak was put on that line to get it going.
It makes sense. Between that and i believe the want in that game to get a crash and banger with McDavid.

Pavelec was making great stops. I think the idea was to get a guy like Korpse to bang in rebounds and crash the net. Which he did to success.

It wasn't a slight on Yak.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
Jordan "Schultz" Eberle with 2 goals in his last 12 games. He's given up on the team and he's given up on his teammates. Time to start packing your bags, Jordan; and not for golf.

Just wondering why you went back 12 games? Pretty convenient to cut out his hattrick game, no? Go back one more and he has 5 goals 7 assists for 12 points in his last 13 games.

But I agree with your narrative, 2 goals in 12 games with McDavid is bordering on Yakupov like production :naughty:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I'd settle for something in the 10-20 range even.

There has to be some teams in there with no one better than a guy like Sekera on the point.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I thought Yak going to the 3rd line was more McLellan 'protecting Yak' more than a demotion. If anything, keeping Eberle up might just be a pump and dump thing in the offseason

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

They did have a top PP under Renney, Krueger and Nelson without that top offensive Dman.

What they are missing is net front presence. Don't underestimate how important Horcoff was to the Oilers PP and believe it or not, Lander late last season. Those two knew how to play in front of the net. Otherwise, you're hoping for a perfect shot or a perfect cross ice pass which most times, don't work. Need to get some greasy goals.
They obviously need a PP QB but lack of net front presence is just as big an issue.

I'm not sure why they haven't tried Maroon on the first unit instead of having both Drai and McDavid on the first unit. Big physical and good hands, he'd be perfect for that role. Defensemen would have a whale of a time moving him off that spot.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
They did have a top PP under Renney, Krueger and Nelson without that top offensive Dman.

What they are missing is net front presence. Don't underestimate how important Horcoff was to the Oilers PP and believe it or not, Lander late last season. Those two knew how to play in front of the net. Otherwise, you're hoping for a perfect shot or a perfect cross ice pass which most times, don't work. Need to get some greasy goals.
They obviously need a PP QB but lack of net front presence is just as big an issue.

I'm not sure why they haven't tried Maroon on the first unit instead of having both Drai and McDavid on the first unit. Big physical and good hands, he'd be perfect for that role. Defensemen would have a whale of a time moving him off that spot.

We need to get Potter back! He was the key.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad