Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Jets 1

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
They did have a top PP under Renney, Krueger and Nelson without that top offensive Dman.

What they are missing is net front presence. Don't underestimate how important Horcoff was to the Oilers PP and believe it or not, Lander late last season. Those two knew how to play in front of the net. Otherwise, you're hoping for a perfect shot or a perfect cross ice pass which most times, don't work. Need to get some greasy goals.
They obviously need a PP QB but lack of net front presence is just as big an issue.

I'm not sure why they haven't tried Maroon on the first unit instead of having both Drai and McDavid on the first unit. Big physical and good hands, he'd be perfect for that role. Defensemen would have a whale of a time moving him off that spot.

I hate to say it but Jultz could actually use to be able to anchor the PP.

I dont want to get slaughtered saying that, but its true, look at the nose dive since hes been gone. Not that he was great on it this year but better than what we have.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
They did have a top PP under Renney, Krueger and Nelson without that top offensive Dman.

What they are missing is net front presence. Don't underestimate how important Horcoff was to the Oilers PP and believe it or not, Lander late last season. Those two knew how to play in front of the net. Otherwise, you're hoping for a perfect shot or a perfect cross ice pass which most times, don't work. Need to get some greasy goals.
They obviously need a PP QB but lack of net front presence is just as big an issue.

I'm not sure why they haven't tried Maroon on the first unit instead of having both Drai and McDavid on the first unit. Big physical and good hands, he'd be perfect for that role. Defensemen would have a whale of a time moving him off that spot.

If I remember right our first unit the last couple games was Hall-Drai-McDavid-Eberle-Sekera.

I hate it. Just hate it. Every single one of those guys is pass first.

Hall-McDavid-Maroon-Yakupov-Sekera,

Kassian-Draisaitl-Eberle-Lander-Clendening. (based on current personnel)

Shouldn't be this hard, Woodcroft.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Just wondering why you went back 12 games? Pretty convenient to cut out his hattrick game, no? Go back one more and he has 5 goals 7 assists for 12 points in his last 13 games.

But I agree with your narrative, 2 goals in 12 games with McDavid is bordering on Yakupov like production :naughty:

From the Columbus game (when McDavid came back) to the Leafs game, Eberle had 7 goals in 6 games. Since then, he has 2 in his last 12. Which stretch is the more telling? The one where he lit up a couple of crappy teams for multiple goals or the longer stretch where he's gone mostly goalless against relatively good teams?

It is Yakupov-like production, but even when Yak's not scoring, he does a whole lot more than Eberle, and at half the cap-hit.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I hate to say it but Jultz could actually use to be able to anchor the PP.

I dont want to get slaughtered saying that, but its true, look at the nose dive since hes been gone. Not that he was great on it this year but better than what we have.

On the right club he could be used in that capacity. On this team, with forwards that have not respected the puck properly and are prone to making ill advised plays that results in shorty chances Schultz is the wrong guy.

That said this is also the wrong conference for Schultz.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
We need to get Potter back! He was the key.

They just need any defenseman that is a threat to score with a hard shot on the PP. They are running the PP through McDavid on the left half-boards (good choice) with his primary passing options being Sekera (point), Hall (down low on the strong side), and Eberle (cross-ice on the weak-side). The deadly PPs, like Washington, have one-timer scoring threats where Sekera (Carlson) and Eberle (Ovechkin) play because over-playing the PP quarterback creates quality scoring chances. As of now, team PKing against the Oilers are not worried about pressuring McDavid because Sekera's and Eberle's one-timers are not significant threats.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If I remember right our first unit the last couple games was Hall-Drai-McDavid-Eberle-Sekera.

Yep, just plain bad allotment. Before this PP ever gets on the ice its screwed. We have a loaded up first unit PP containing our 2 gifted Centers and a 2nd unit PP without a QB.

Net result being we have a talent loaded first unit trying to pass the puck into the net and a 2nd unit that can't pass to save their lives..

Who would configure these PP units?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
They just need any defenseman that is a threat to score with a hard shot on the PP. They are running the PP through McDavid on the left half-boards (good choice) with his primary passing options being Sekera (point), Hall (down low on the strong side), and Eberle (cross-ice on the weak-side). The deadly PPs, like Washington, have one-timer scoring threats where Sekera (Carlson) and Eberle (Ovechkin) play because over-playing the PP quarterback creates quality scoring chances. As of now, team PKing against the Oilers are not worried about pressuring McDavid because Sekera's and Eberle's one-timers are not significant threats.

I agree with this, though I think Eberle could work in that spot if we replaced Sekera with a bigger shot. I would've said Davidson until he got hurt :(. Eberle can work there if there's a big shot to pull coverage away from him so he can sneak forward to shoot. As is, he just gets smothered as the only real threat, since Sekera always has to sneak in alongside the boards to get a shot off and it almost never works, so we get stuck passing back and forth.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Eberle has 3 points in his last 5 games. 7 in his last 10.

He is sure sucking offensively

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Agreed all around. The 1st unit personnel baffles me especially when you have 2 guys like Maroon and Kassian who would be a perfect balance to all the skill on the unit.

Drai and McDavid on the 1st unit makes no sense either and then putting Drai in the slot and thus negating all his playmaking skills? I don't get it, at all. It's like when they had both Nuge and Drai on the same unit, those guys are supposed to be drivers of separate units, not complementing each other on the same unit.

And finally, Sekera ahead of Davidson on the 1st unit. Another baffling move. Sekera has a hard shot but Davidson's is far more accurate although it doesn't matter now that Davidson is gone. :cry:

The personnel is lacking on the blueline but this should at the very least be a borderline top 10 PP even without a top PP QB especially now that they have some big boys to park in front of the net. Use your personnel Woodcroft and stop loading up on one unit.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yep, just plain bad allotment. Before this PP ever gets on the ice its screwed. We have a loaded up first unit PP containing our 2 gifted Centers and a 2nd unit PP without a QB.

Net result being we have a talent loaded first unit trying to pass the puck into the net and a 2nd unit that can't pass to save their lives..

Who would configure these PP units?
The balanced approach wasn't exactly working wonders.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The balanced approach wasn't exactly working wonders.

Its not the only thing wrong with this PP coaching. The team is advocating a dump first PP approach on a club with 4 #1 draft picks and a plethora of talented forwards.

its the exact opposite PP entry approach for this teams lineup. Chia has redressed that with obtaining Kass and Maroon but still a dump first PP has been shown to be statistically less effective than a carry in PP.

I have no answers on why the team is running the PP this way.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
I think Maroon definitely will be on the 1st PP unit in the next couple of games. He joined this team on the road and they haven't really had any practices for him to get up to speed...although one has to wonder if your assignment is "get in front of the net and get rebounds"...do you even need practice?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Its not the only thing wrong with this PP coaching. The team is advocating a dump first PP approach on a club with 4 #1 draft picks and a plethora of talented forwards.

its the exact opposite PP entry approach for this teams lineup. Chia has redressed that with obtaining Kass and Maroon but still a dump first PP has been shown to be statistically less effective than a carry in PP.

I have no answers on why the team is running the PP this way.

They're go to entry is the neutral zone drop pass to the streaking blueliner. Entries aren't the main problem though. The lack of net presence and lack of quality point shots are what's killing our pp.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
imo we played better in this game than we did against Columbus. It was definitely not all on Talbot. Brossoit played badly in that Columbus game but the team was also allowing a ton of 2 on 1s and grade A chances, particularly right after we scored a goal. Also even though Talbot was great, Pavelec was almost as good. He didn't have to save low percentage shots either. He was saving a lot of in close shots by pretty great players.

We definitely deserved to win this one vs the Jets, Talbot or not. We even were playing on the road with one less defenseman, and that D was Davidson of all players! Not to mention there is no comparison in how depleted our lineup is generally compared to the Jets.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Eberle has 3 points in his last 5 games. 7 in his last 10.

He is sure sucking offensively

Anyone can put up points with Mcdavid, Eberle is on that line to score goals.

Or at least that's the argument I've heard about Yak's ppg stretch earlier in the season when it's dismissed on account that he only had 2 goals.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
They're go to entry is the neutral zone drop pass to the streaking blueliner. Entries aren't the main problem though. The lack of net presence and lack of quality point shots are what's killing our pp.

I wouldn't agree with this at all. I've seen a lot of PP shifts where we don't even get set once in the offensive zone. We're just dumping pucks in and retrieving pucks from our own end. When this team gets set on PP they generally look dangerous.

I do agree though that more net presence is a key. Davidson was hammering a lot of well placed shots but those were being spotted by the goalies. Screen those and they go in.
Which adds to my last point its a myth that NHL D exist that simply hammer the puck home from the blueline. Todays goalies stop those long shots in their sleep. Unless, of course, they are screened.

So screening is the key as much as an elite shot like Bufyglien.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Anyone can put up points with Mcdavid, Eberle is on that line to score goals.

Or at least that's the argument I've heard about Yak's ppg stretch earlier in the season when it's dismissed on account that he only had 2 goals.
I have used that argument myself when people tell me Yak is a sniper.

But stats only matter in context.

To me when an entire team is struggling offensively then low point count is expected. If the team is doing well offensively and you still have a low recent point count then there is a problem

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hopefully when RNH comes back, Yak can get the last 15 games with either him or McDavid. Itll shut everyone up as hell get time with a skilled forward, but not a generational one. If he cant produce there, then its trouble. Howevr all parties get what they want

Trollmark*

Hopefully when RNH comes back, Yak can get the last 15 games with either him or McDavid. Itll shut everyone up as hell get time with a skilled forward, but not a generational one. If he cant produce there, then its trouble. Howevr all parties get what they want

Why does a "skilled" 1st overall need a 1st overall centre to succeed?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Why does a "skilled" 1st overall need a 1st overall centre to succeed?

Because players need good linemates to succeed? Show me a great player who succeeds with bottom line talent. Not every player is a line driver, some good players need good linemates. Seguin didnt do anything until he started with Benn

Yakupov seems like the runt of the lottery pick litter. While every single one gets another skilled guy or quality 2nd line forward to work with, Yak keeps getting shafted to bottom lines. Hall, Eberle, RNH, LD get to have their fill out the milk while Yak gets whats ever left on the floor. The odd time hell get a spot.

Whether he deserves it or not is another argument, but I see zero benefit to questioning why a 1st overall needs a skilled linemate. Players are affected by teammates

Give him a shot and let him prove it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad