Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Jets 1

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Shows how garbage these boards have become. I make a thread about Talbot in the mains . I get a message saying it can be discussed on the oilers board lol.

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
Postgame tmac spoke of the mcdavid line giving up too much defensively so he switched yak off, and I agree, kid has no idea what to do defensively.

Not much better offensively IQ wise either. There was the play where mcdavid made the move behind the net (on stafford I think?) and centered the puck perfectly for yak - except he moved from the spot, can't even put home tap ins on amazing plays like that.

He had a nice rush in to the zone with good puck control, makes a play and then gets open and completely whiffs the one-timer. Guy just isn't very good. And the yak-mcd-eberle line has no size to get the puck along the boards/in the corners, nevermind how much time is wasted in their zone trying to get the puck back.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Postgame tmac spoke of the mcdavid line giving up too much defensively so he switched yak off, and I agree, kid has no idea what to do defensively.

Not much better offensively IQ wise either. There was the play where mcdavid made the move behind the net (on stafford I think?) and centered the puck perfectly for yak - except he moved from the spot, can't even put home tap ins on amazing plays like that.

He had a nice rush in to the zone with good puck control, makes a play and then gets open and completely whiffs the one-timer. Guy just isn't very good. And the yak-mcd-eberle line has no size to get the puck along the boards/in the corners, nevermind how much time is wasted in their zone trying to get the puck back.

After he switched Yak off the line, it became worst. They were bleeding chances against and couldn't contain anything offensively. The goal scored was the one chance they got all night with the new line.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I guess I just didn't understand why Eberle, who killed the play all night for McDavid's line wasn't asked to go carry a line on his own. Yak didn't bury his chances, but he was involved in 3 high danger scoring chances in the first period and a half, just unlucky I guess that none of them went in.

I think it comes down to predictability. Eberle might frustrate us but I rarely see him beat in a way that leaves me totally shocked. It's frustrating to see him let his man go, or not go hard on the boards, but you know what you WILL get defensively: decent positioning and the threat of a scoring chance to keep the opposition honest.

Yakupov can go a full shift of solid defensive work, good board work, get a shot off and then skate to totally the wrong spot and let a man get a break. I think that's why he's the one to get taken off McDavids line. The flipside is he's more likely to change the tone of the third line too because of his quality of work imo. Either way, I think McLellan has made some solid progress with yak this year in making him more predictable and I hope this growth continues into next year. And that Yak practices his one timer all summer.

I also think that all of the Yaks time is up business is more the fans and the media than the organization. I think we've all talked about him so long we think things have come to a head, while I honestly think Chiarelli, McLellan and Yakupov all are looking at this season as a fresh start. He's certainly looked different to my eye.

I Like Foolish Posts

Apr 25, 2012
After he switched Yak off the line, it became worst. They were bleeding chances against and couldn't contain anything offensively. The goal scored was the one chance they got all night with the new line.

Yeah, if you want to improve a line defensively, you don't add Korpi who is a terrible 5 vs 5 player who can't maintain possession. I REALLY want to see Eberle with Hall and Drai, and Maroon and Yak with McDavid. Or Hall-McDavid-Yak and Maroon-Drai-Ebs

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Pavelec had some great saves on point blank shots as well, especially in the first two periods. It was a close game that could have went either way. A close 2-1 win by the Oilers wasn't the most unjust result.

I agree with this. I didn't find the game to be all Talbot or a lucky win on our part either. The Goalies were the stars either way, but we played fairly competitive hockey against a very heavy team - dominated the first, and kept up with them otherwise. For sure Talbot was our star but I'm not nearly as demoralized by the quality of the win as I am with yet another injury to an important player, lol.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
I like Pardy so far, Clendening not so much (still better than Nikitin lol).

Cracknell seems alright and I LOVE Maroon so far (always liked him on Anaheim).

Oilers after 68 in 2014-15: 18-39-11, 47 points (-77 GD)
Oilers after 68 in 2015-16: 26-35-7, 59 points (-34 GD)
http://lowetide.ca/2016/03/07/as-cold-as-the-clay/

12 more points after 68 games, 2 more wins and within 3 points of last years total with 14 games remaining. Seems Chia/TMac have gotten quite a bit of improvement with an injury filled lineup, looking forward to a few big additions on the blueline this summer.

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
Pavelec had some great saves on point blank shots as well, especially in the first two periods. It was a close game that could have went either way. A close 2-1 win by the Oilers wasn't the most unjust result.
I don't understand how people see anything else other than this. The Oilers had just as many chances as the Jets, and probably better quality chances. It was a close game that could have gone either way. The Oilers were fine, and Talbot was great, but Pavalec was probably even better.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Came to ask what others thought too... I have been cringing a lot lately when he is on the ice. Has been struggling for a while, but there is no other option really.

Talbot was once again unreal last night. Has won the Oils a lot of games and has kept them in a lot of games. Honestly I thought Jets should have won but I give all credit to Talbot.

Also its so strange to me how some games Oilers are such a fun and exciting team to watch offensively, but then a lot of games are a complete snoozefest!!!... I love Oilers and Jets youth and was hoping for a fun game, but majority of game I was bored out of my mind.

Either way, a win is a win and Talbot gets all the credit with this one. Seems like some games you just know he isn't letting anything in

Oilers and Tm really dont play that exciting of a style unless its against a loose defensive team. Seems he coaches to other teams style. If its Anahiem/LA/Winny then theyll play tight and boring. If its Philly/NYI/Toronto then theyll play loose and free flowing

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Talbot tho

Oh my god.

Hes been unreal for the past 6 games, and really good the entire season.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
This game could have been 7-5 if not for the great goaltending on both ends. McDavid had a breakaway and didn't score! Same with Hall. And Yak had a few close snipes.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Talbot tho

Oh my god.

Hes been unreal for the past 6 games, and really good the entire season.

His play makes me just snap at all the "come on you guys, Dubnyk, Scrivens, no support, wreck goalies, blah blah blah" bull**** garbage.

The Oilers have needed real goaltending for years, and are finally getting it. There are still problems on the team, but the goaltending isn't one of them anymore

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I like Pardy so far, Clendening not so much (still better than Nikitin lol).

Cracknell seems alright and I LOVE Maroon so far (always liked him on Anaheim).

http://lowetide.ca/2016/03/07/as-cold-as-the-clay/

12 more points after 68 games, 2 more wins and within 3 points of last years total with 14 games remaining. Seems Chia/TMac have gotten quite a bit of improvement with an injury filled lineup, looking forward to a few big additions on the blueline this summer.

an outside shot at 35 wins with all the injuries that we've had to deal with? I wouldn't go so far as to say its an accomplishment, but I'd say a ten point increase on last year is a reasonable goal.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This game could have been 7-5 if not for the great goaltending on both ends. McDavid had a breakaway and didn't score! Same with Hall. And Yak had a few close snipes.

We always make guys like Pavelec look like Hasek, then turn around and chase Carey Price pretty much every time we play him. I don't get it.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

This is what I don't understand. Moved Yak off and not only did they spend even more time in their own zone, but the line was even less effective in the O-zone.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
As far as Yak being switched off that line. Once again just bull

Line is bad defensively? lets switch off Yak who was a betetr fit with McDavid. Not you Ebs, you can stay glued to McDavid no matter what you do

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Poor Yak omg I cant believe people feel sorry for him.

He got replaced last night with a guy with more goals and points on the year with him, the very next shift they score the game winner.

Great coaching last night.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Poor Yak omg I cant believe people feel sorry for him.

He got replaced last night with a guy with more goals and points on the year with him, the very next shift they score the game winner.

Great coaching last night.

What confuses me about this is is that I thought putting McD with talentless grinders was what people here wanted? :huh:

Only if it's the talentless grinders people actually like, I guess.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
As far as Yak being switched off that line. Once again just bull

Line is bad defensively? lets switch off Yak who was a betetr fit with McDavid. Not you Ebs, you can stay glued to McDavid no matter what you do

Also makes no sense why they put Korpikoski up. The guys bleeds chances against, and has pretty subpar offensive skills. I'd have rather seen Kassian, or Craknell or really anyone moved up over him.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I'm a Yak fan and I want him gone. I can't stand the short leash he's given in this organization. He created all night, makes a couple mistakes and is relegated to the 4th line. Every other player, Hall included is given tons of room to make mistakes. We just demote the kid. Had enough. Trade Yakupov, it's time he blew up somewhere else and plays with confidence.

Maybe they are not demoting him but needing him in other positions.

McClellan is trying to build a team with the pieces he is given.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Maybe they are not demoting him but needing him in other positions.

McClellan is trying to build a team with the pieces he is given.

Sounded like that line was struggling defensively and Korpikoski was having a good game so he mixed it up. The easy guy to take off that line was Yakupov and so they did.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I don't want to debate the merits of Yakupov vs. Korpikoski playing in the top 6, but I have to say that one-timer attempt by Korpikoski in the 3rd period was arguably the worst display of that skill I've ever seen. I literally thought he hurt himself in the attempt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad