Oil Lose for Matthews

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
Just once it would be nice to not be coming up with slogans for drafting another 1st overall. In December FFS.

Dont care if we get #1 overall; trade the damn pick for a top pairing dman. Enough with collecting fancy toe dragging youth.

SaskOilers

Jan 6, 2009
Just once it would be nice to not be coming up with slogans for drafting another 1st overall. In December FFS.

Dont care if we get #1 overall; trade the damn pick for a top pairing dman. Enough with collecting fancy toe dragging youth.

No doubt, unfortunately we can't escape it.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Matthews and McDavid = Malkin and Crosby

Nolan Patrick is projected to go First Overall in 2017 and Matthews is light years better than him.

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I see two scenarios where we trade the pick:
  1. In the very unlikely situation an elite defenseman becomes available during the season, it could be included as part of the trade package. This would put greater priority on this season being seen as building towards the playoffs next season (playoffs are pretty much done already this season).
  2. The more likely situation is Chiarelli trades the pick right before or at the draft when the pick has its greatest value. A top-pairing defender would be more likely to be moved at that point. Or, if we win the lottery again, trade down a spot or two to grab Chychrun and other assets.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Would people even be excited if we got the first overall pick?
And if we did get the first overall pick, does that mean that Hopkins, Eberle and Yakupov would without a doubt be out of the door?

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
How about a season ending Ditch Run for Chychrun!

I'm getting a t-shirt.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If we're moving Nuge and Eberle for dmen as many want, then we'd better pick another forward.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If we're moving Nuge and Eberle for dmen as many want, then we'd better pick another forward.

Assuming we can't trade those players until summer, we will know what we have as the draft lottery will have long passed. Getting Matthews makes Nuge and Ebs more expendable.

Matthews is bigger, and can start off on McDavid's wing.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Assuming we can't trade those players until summer, we will know what we have as the draft lottery will have long passed. Getting Matthews makes Nuge and Ebs more expendable.

Matthews is bigger, and can start off on McDavid's wing.

The new shiny toy.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That new shiny toy is a better fit long-term if we want to build a western conference contender.

That said, I would still trade him.

Like Many, my current core is McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, and Nurse

In a couple years, when the shine comes off Drai, Chia can move him to the Bruins for Louie Erickson.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
In a couple years, when the shine comes off Drai, Chia can move him to the Bruins for Louie Erickson.

Your argument has to nothing to with what I'm suggesting for 2 reasons.

1) I'm talking about the size of a team we need in the west. Everyone wants Nuge and Ebs traded for the same reason. We are too soft.

2) Thank you for taking the liberty of trying to make your 'point' by making up complete ******** about my expected returns on these players.

Oct 15, 2008
Yup, their fault the D has been trash and the goalies can't stop a beachball. I heard it was their idea to hire Eakins too. :shakehead

They aren't scoring and aren't bringing anything else to the table so they are a big part of the problem. Nilsson has been playing pretty well really. Take the beer goggles off for a better view.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad