Oil Lose for Matthews

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Yup, their fault the D has been trash and the goalies can't stop a beachball. I heard it was their idea to hire Eakins too. :shakehead

Our D is the best it's been since 2009. (Yes still needs to be a lot better) Nilsson has an incredible saves percentage over the last 6 games.

It's our lack of scoring that is killing us. Our inability to maintain pressure in the offensive zone is killing us. Our 2nd line unable to win a single board battle is killing us.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
They aren't scoring and aren't bringing anything else to the table so they are a big part of the problem. Nilsson has been playing pretty well really. Take the beer goggles off for a better view.

Nilsson has been good, but the goaltending was poor early on. the D has been more down than up and production from the bottom six has been mostly non-existent. Given all that, singling out two players who have been historically strong producers for this club for blame after a handful of bad games is downright silly.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
They aren't scoring and aren't bringing anything else to the table so they are a big part of the problem. Nilsson has been playing pretty well really. Take the beer goggles off for a better view.

That is the biggest problem for me. Even when Hall/Draisaitl aren't scoring, theyre creating chances. Theyre spending time controlling the puck in the offensive zone, creating momentum.

Most importantly, you aren't getting scored on if your tilting the ice the other way, even if you can't score.

I don't care what people say about 'shiny new toy'. I have time for the size and Pedigree of Matthews.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
I see Eichel and Matthews as very similar. If you look at how Eichel has played this season, if that's what's to be expected of Matthews next season that won't really be helping the Oilers much at all.

Maybe in a couple of seasons when Matthews is starting to emerge and Draisaitl goes through a rough patch of games, we can drive Draisaitl out of town like the fan base is doing with RNH right now.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Our D is the best it's been since 2009. (Yes still needs to be a lot better) Nilsson has an incredible saves percentage over the last 6 games.

It's our lack of scoring that is killing us. Our inability to maintain pressure in the offensive zone is killing us. Our 2nd line unable to win a single board battle is killing us.

No one is denying that Eberle and Nuge haven't been their best over this stretch. But if we traded every player who had a **** 10 game stretch, Hall would have been gone a long time ago and Drai wouldn't have seen the light of day after he looked lost for most of his 37 games last season.

Oct 15, 2008
Nilsson has been good, but the goaltending was poor early on. the D has been more down than up and production from the bottom six has been mostly non-existent. Given all that, singling out two players who have been historically strong producers for this club for blame after a handful of bad games is downright silly.

Its not silly if it is true which it absolutely is. Watching the game last night both players have never looked worse. It is quite alarming especially after being called out in the media by the coach. Stick a fork in em. If Chia can find someone gullible enough to take their soft ***** and inflated salaries he will. Let's hope we don't have to take a Purcell type in return.

It's looking like the dman coming back will be more Luke Schenn than Seth Jones.

Oct 15, 2008
That is the biggest problem for me. Even when Hall/Draisaitl aren't scoring, theyre creating chances. Theyre spending time controlling the puck in the offensive zone, creating momentum.

Most importantly, you aren't getting scored on if your tilting the ice the other way, even if you can't score.

I don't care what people say about 'shiny new toy'. I have time for the size and Pedigree of Matthews.

Hall and Drai go to the dirty areas. The other two don't/won't. They have perfected the turnaround buttonhook. Works 6% of the time all the time.

Oct 15, 2008
I see Eichel and Matthews as very similar. If you look at how Eichel has played this season, if that's what's to be expected of Matthews next season that won't really be helping the Oilers much at all.

Maybe in a couple of seasons when Matthews is starting to emerge and Draisaitl goes through a rough patch of games, we can drive Draisaitl out of town like the fan base is doing with RNH right now.

Zero chance of that unless Draisaitl somehow decides he isn't going to go to the hard areas anymore. And if he does he will deserve any heat he gets.

McDeathbyCheerios*

People have always had an issue with RNH being soft and more of the same.

He is a high skilled player who is easily knocked off the puck.

We aren't pushing him out of town cause he sucks or cause of a small stretch, we acknowledge that he is a valuable asset and if Drai and McDavid continue, RNH is our best trade piece to move away to get a great defender. You gotta give to get.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
What do we complain about not having year in and year out? Defense, gritty power forwards and a #1 goalie. Do we go out and search for the RNH's and Eberle's of the world? No. For those wanting to keep RNH is still hoping he will break out into a Datsyuk. The truth is he's looking more like Gagner these days. Ask yourself, do you think he's worth 8M down the road when we have guys like Hall, McDavid, Drai taking up a lot of the salary? Trade him while his value can bring back someone like Jones. Wait any longer, Jones value will eclipse RNH easily. Good luck then

Draft a power forward please. As mentioned, I have all kind of patience for a skilled power forward like Patrik Laine.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Its not silly if it is true which it absolutely is. Watching the game last night both players have never looked worse. It is quite alarming especially after being called out in the media by the coach. Stick a fork in em. If Chia can find someone gullible enough to take their soft ***** and inflated salaries he will. Let's hope we don't have to take a Purcell type in return.

No, it is silly and the rest of your post here is a whole lot worse again. Done here.

People have always had an issue with RNH being soft and more of the same.

He is a high skilled player who is easily knocked off the puck.

RNH's rep has been mostly a player who is hard on the puck, but I guess there's a new narrative in town.

We aren't pushing him out of town cause he sucks or cause of a small stretch, we acknowledge that he is a valuable asset and if Drai and McDavid continue, RNH is our best trade piece to move away to get a great defender. You gotta give to get.

That's just it, though. Not worried about McDavid, but it's pretty damn early to be making major decisions based on Drai's play when he's shooting out the lights and playing with one of the top LWs in the game.

Anyway, I'm quite confident we won't see Nuge shipped out. Chia and T-Mac are both guys who have had success with strong centre depth and I very much doubt there's a trade to be had for a D that makes sense.

McDeathbyCheerios*

What do we complain about not having year in and year out? Defense, gritty power forwards and a #1 goalie. Do we go out and search for the RNH's and Eberle's of the world? No. For those wanting to keep RNH is still hoping he will break out into a Datsyuk. The truth is he's looking more like Gagner these days. Ask yourself, do you think he's worth 8M down the road when we have guys like Hall, McDavid, Drai taking up a lot of the salary? Trade him while his value can bring back someone like Jones. Wait any longer, Jones value will eclipse RNH easily. Good luck then

Draft a power forward please. As mentioned, I have all kind of patience for a skilled power forward like Patrik Laine.
If we get the top pick I'd be willing to trade Matthews for Laine+ honestly.

McDeathbyCheerios*

No, it is silly and the rest of your post here is a whole lot worse again. Done here.

RNH's rep has been mostly a player who is hard on the puck, but I guess there's a new narrative in town.

That's just it, though. Not worried about McDavid, but it's pretty damn early to be making major decisions based on Drai's play when he's shooting out the lights and playing with one of the top LWs in the game.

Anyway, I'm quite confident we won't see Nuge shipped out. Chia and T-Mac are both guys who have had success with strong centre depth and I very much doubt there's a trade to be had for a D that makes sense.
A lot of people arent saying move him now and its all hypotheticals. Which is with McDavid as our 1c a center like Drai due to his skill level and play style better suits team makeup then RNH. And if we can get a good defender for RNH and Drai continues this till the end of the season then moving RNH at the draft or something is not a bad idea. Right now would be ****ing awful cause McDavid is still broken

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
A lot of people arent saying move him now and its all hypotheticals. Which is with McDavid as our 1c a center like Drai due to his skill level and play style better suits team makeup then RNH. And if we can get a good defender for RNH and Drai continues this till the end of the season then moving RNH at the draft or something is not a bad idea. Right now would be ****ing awful cause McDavid is still broken

See there's a problem with your logic and you even touch on it yourself. Here's a hint:

Right now would be ****ing awful cause McDavid is still broken

Injuries happen, which is why positional depth is important. A lack of quality depth at C (actually in every position, but especially C) is one of the reasons the Oilers have stunk so long, so to have that depth at last and then turn around and entertain the idea of burning it because of what amount to aesthetic concerns is nuts to me. Get good players, keep good players.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Sportsnet did an interview with Matthews.. Doug McLean said to him "promise me if the Oilers win the lottery you refuse to go there." He said he wouldn't, but what a clown McLean is. Just a dumb thing to say.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Sportsnet did an interview with Matthews.. Doug McLean said to him "promise me if the Oilers win the lottery you refuse to go there." He said he wouldn't, but what a clown McLean is. Just a dumb thing to say.
What an idiot

McDeathbyCheerios*

See there's a problem with your logic and you even touch on it yourself. Here's a hint:

Injuries happen, which is why positional depth is important. A lack of quality depth at C (actually in every position, but especially C) is one of the reasons the Oilers have stunk so long, so to have that depth at last and then turn around and entertain the idea of burning it because of what amount to aesthetic concerns is nuts to me. Get good players, keep good players.
Then how do you fix other holes in the team. Move bad players for bad players? Hope you can land a free agent?

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Then how do you fix other holes in the team. Move bad players for bad players? Hope you can land a free agent?

Is RNH the only asset of value? I'd start with Eberle and this year's first rounder before I think of moving RNH. And if I'm moving RNH, I'm looking at an OEL-type or nothing.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015

Hall has done that for the majority of his career in Edmonton. Draisaitl has done it for less than a 20 game stretch. I'm shocked that people are discounting the years of work that Eberle, but more so RNH has done in favour of the guy who has done a great job, but for a very small period of time.

Don't get me wrong, I love Draisaitl, but he's going to have periods of time when he isn't contributing at all just like RNH and Eberle are right now.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Your argument has to nothing to with what I'm suggesting for 2 reasons.

1) I'm talking about the size of a team we need in the west. Everyone wants Nuge and Ebs traded for the same reason. We are too soft.

2) Thank you for taking the liberty of trying to make your 'point' by making up complete ******** about my expected returns on these players.

1) We do need more size, but we also need more grit. All I'm saying is we keep getting high picks and then one by one they fall out of favour. Hall has been traded on here about a thousand times during his career, and there were a lot that wanted to move Drai after last season.
2) Loosen your underwear a bit. It was a joke, based on Chia's now ill fated trade of Tyler Seguin.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
Hall and Drai go to the dirty areas. The other two don't/won't. They have perfected the turnaround buttonhook. Works 6% of the time all the time.

How many goals has Eberle scored from further than ~15ft from the net? Him and Nuge haven't played well recently, I get it. Shiny toy syndrome is strong in this one though.

McDeathbyCheerios*

How many goals has Eberle scored from further than ~15ft from the net? Him and Nuge haven't played well recently, I get it. Shiny toy syndrome is strong in this one though.
Eberle no longer goes there cause he has been hit big a few times and is afraid of getting hit.

How is acknowledging Hall and Drais strengths shiny toy syndrome? Hall isn't new

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad