Oil Lose for Matthews

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Matthews - McDavid - Yakupov

This will be a sweet first line with the second being

Hall - Drai - Pouliot.

Surely a good GM could then parlay RNH - Eberle into a decent 3rd line or maybe add a solid D-man.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Eberle traded for a really good d-man.

RNH + Slepyshev for high draft pick.

Try to get Downie, Santorelli (Ducks) and Mcginn (Sabres).

Hall - McDavid - Yakupov
Laine - Draisaitl - Puljujärvi
Downie - Santorelli - McGinn
Hendricks - Letestu - Korpikoski

Sekera - Eberle trade
Klefbom - Schultz
Nurse - Reinhart

Nilsson
Talbot

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
(•_•)
<) )╯Trade
/ \

(•_•)
the \( (>
/ \

(•_•)
<) )╯pick.
/ \

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'm thinking we will trade the pick and it will be our first major deal

1. Eberle + 1st (top 5 pick) for top pairing defenseman + 3rd liner
2. RNH for top pair defenseman
3. Schultz for 3rd liner + pick
4. Sign Vrbata
5. Sign 3rd liner (Helm, etc)
6. Sign a couple of hardworking 4th liners

Pouliot/Mcdavid/Yakupov
Hall/Draisaitl/Vrbata
1./3./5.
6./6./Hendricks

1./2
Klefbom/Sekera
Reinhart/Nurse

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The faith in yakupov is astounding to me, utterly astounding. It is as clear as a sunny day that his brief resurgence was totally do to our best player, an 18 year old super star in the making. And now every lineup projection has him as a core guy with McDavid.

I like Nail, good kid, good attitude, works hard but he does nothing at all without that elite talent. We need to find a big physical winger to play with mcdavid long term.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
If u got to draft Matthews, could you arrange a trade to get OEL? It would be expensive but what do we have to lose. OEL would be our #1 Dman and Matthews is an Arizona boy.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The faith in yakupov is astounding to me, utterly astounding. It is as clear as a sunny day that his brief resurgence was totally do to our best player, an 18 year old super star in the making. And now every lineup projection has him as a core guy with McDavid.

I like Nail, good kid, good attitude, works hard but he does nothing at all without that elite talent. We need to find a big physical winger to play with mcdavid long term.

Agree.

What if playing with McDavid makes him somewhere close to a 70 to 80 pt. guy, what do you think he'll ask for in his next contract? Will he say, ya, just make it a small raise because I owe all my success to that McDavid guy. Not likely. He'll ask for the same or fairly close to what all the other 10A picks are getting minus McDavid of course. So, 5+6 mill for Yak? I wouldn't.

The Oilers have to move on from Yak, so the pick + Yak + (insert name) and maybe one or 2 others need to be moved on.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

He's only making 2.5 million and is a point per game winger when playing with McDavid. It wouldn't make any sense to trade him for pennies on the dollar. Let him gain some value and then trade him after next season when his contract is up

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He's only making 2.5 million and is a point per game winger when playing with McDavid. It wouldn't make any sense to trade him for pennies on the dollar. Let him gain some value and then trade him after next season when his contract is up

Eh? Salary should not be a driving force in such decisions, then you want to boost his value and then trade him when he is a FA? The neighborhood cat would be a point per game player with mcdavid. If mcdavid comes back and yak goes back to scoring you should deal yak asap in the off season.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Agree.

What if playing with McDavid makes him somewhere close to a 70 to 80 pt. guy, what do you think he'll ask for in his next contract? Will he say, ya, just make it a small raise because I owe all my success to that McDavid guy. Not likely. He'll ask for the same or fairly close to what all the other 10A picks are getting minus McDavid of course. So, 5+6 mill for Yak? I wouldn't.

The Oilers have to move on from Yak, so the pick + Yak + (insert name) and maybe one or 2 others need to be moved on.

Name me one player who registers 70-80 points and not making 5M. With or without McDavid, anyone who is a 70-80 points player is going to cost 5M+

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Agree.

So you want to buy high, sell low?

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton

Agreed, he should be the first to go. If McDavid can make him score he can make anyone productive.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Name me one player who registers 70-80 points and not making 5M. With or without McDavid, anyone who is a 70-80 points player is going to cost 5M+

I'd be more inclined to think that way if the player in question didn't go off a cliff when he loses his preferred center. A drop in production is understandable, but 2 assists in 9 games without his preferred center is not just a drop in production, it's a disaster.

+ you can't have your 5 highest paid forwards taking up that much cap space once you figure in what McDavid's extension is going to be. no bridge deal here. And while I'm sure McDavid will be a team guy and not ask for the moon, which he should do, as is entitled to, he'll be reasonable, but it still won't be a bridge deal or a John Tavares type of team deal.

Anyway, that's my take, best thing for the Oilers and Yak is to cut ties and move on.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Yak's peak value was in his rookie season...

At this point, I think we can afford to wait until he plays a few games along side McDavid yet. Similarly, trading Eberle is a must in my mind, but not until he goes on a 'run' again.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
At this point, I think we can afford to wait until he plays a few games along side McDavid yet. Similarly, trading Eberle is a must in my mind, but not until he goes on a 'run' again.
if the bolded happens no one would want to trade Eberle away..

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I've no idea what to do.

Trade the pick like we did with the 16th last year for a player that's not likely to ever make much of an impact on the team?

Keep the pick and roll the dice?

Hell if you look at our 4 first overalls. Exclude McDavid as it's too soon.
2 out of 3 of them aren't much if any better of a player since their rookie years.
RNH and Yakupov are virtually the same players. Little better defence but their overall impact on the game hasn't changed much at all.

Edmonton for whatever reason is just a place to come and watch your skill as a hockey player stagnate. We can't improve our players most of the time.

I can't say Eberle is much better of a hockey player then his first two seasons.
Justin Schultz hasn't changed at all over the last 4 years..
Jeff Petry couldn't get past the #3 d-man hump he came in as.
Sam Gagner......
Andrew Cogliano.....

God I could go on for ever it seems.

This team just has a terrible track record for growing its players.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Edmonton for whatever reason is just a place to come and watch your skill as a hockey player stagnate. We can't improve our players most of the time.

I can't say Eberle is much better of a hockey player then his first two seasons.
Sam Gagner......
Andrew Cogliano.....

Or maybe, just maybe, the fans here aren't as good at assessing talent and development as they think?

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
Eberle traded for a really good d-man.

RNH + Slepyshev for high draft pick.

Try to get Downie, Santorelli (Ducks) and Mcginn (Sabres).

Hall - McDavid - Yakupov
Laine - Draisaitl - Puljujärvi
Downie - Santorelli - McGinn
Hendricks - Letestu - Korpikoski

Sekera - Eberle trade
Klefbom - Schultz
Nurse - Reinhart

Nilsson
Talbot

Bolded: RNH for a draft pick? Lay off the unmentionables man, that is seriously deranged territory.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I've no idea what to do.

Trade the pick like we did with the 16th last year for a player that's not likely to ever make much of an impact on the team?

Keep the pick and roll the dice?

Hell if you look at our 4 first overalls. Exclude McDavid as it's too soon.
2 out of 3 of them aren't much if any better of a player since their rookie years.
RNH and Yakupov are virtually the same players. Little better defence but their overall impact on the game hasn't changed much at all.

Sam Gagner......
Andrew Cogliano.....

You absolutely keep the pick. This team is years away from making the playoffs and Hall will be gone on his own before it is even competitive.

We are clearly at the point of rebuilding the rebuild, and the only way to do that is with a solid foundation laid by good drafting / scouting. This is Year 1 of the rebuild of the rebuild and perhaps the ONLY untouchable should be McDavid. Getting him a physical, gifted winger like AM is a must, but alas we can't win every draft lottery.

This summer Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Yak should all be traded for better pieces ... and the fanbase be told the truth, we are 3 or 4 years out from making the playoffs. Sorry suckers.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'd do Ebs for futures if there is a reasonable target for a defender in FA. So it's more moving salary then trading for futures.

Schultz for 3rd liner....ebs for futures/depth....and then spend on FA D.
"Trade the pick" is nonsense until the draft--we can trade picks in the offseason. At the draft we should be talking about trading down, maybe, or look at jones/larsson type additions which aren't available now.

Who could you trade the pick for now? Patrick Marleau? Murray/RYJO (which should be a red flag if they're available). Duchene? Tyson Barrie (IMO you could do that at the draft if you lose out on chycrun)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad