OHL no longer for just the boys

CoyotesHFNHL

May 30, 2010
Lol, you tally them up and get back to me. It’s funny the people always saying others are mad, always seem to be very agitated. I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings, she will definitely, probably be playing in the ohl. Feel better?

My feelings aren't really in play here. I mean what you think ultimately doesn't really impact my feeling on the subject. You can't possibly post your series of messages here and simultaneously claim that it doesn't bother you at all she got drafted can you?

Also you came on here to declare she had "poor stats" then told me to tally them up and get back to you. So you're at the point of this where you're literally making false information about the girl just to insult her, which again brings me back to.. you were gone for a year and this seems to really, really bother you.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
My feelings aren't really in play here. I mean what you think ultimately doesn't really impact my feeling on the subject. You can't possibly post your series of messages here and simultaneously claim that it doesn't bother you at all she got drafted can you?

Also you came on here to declare she had "poor stats" then told me to tally them up and get back to you. So you're at the point of this where you're literally making false information about the girl just to insult her, which again brings me back to.. you were gone for a year and this seems to really, really bother you.
This

There are literally people on social media posting her U15 stats saying ShE dIdN't EvEn PlAy .. meanwhile only one player from that team has their stats posted.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
The small amount of stats I saw were poor, and you would be wrong, I’m not the least bit mad, I hope she does play and plays well. But because I’m not living in the clouds I can see this for what it is. Cheers fella, enjoy your day! How’s that for happiness???

Otto

Let me preface this by saying I am not comparing Taya Currie to anyone.. but I wonder what the chatter would be when talk turned to drafting a player with these stats? Stats pages do not tell the whole story. That's why scouts watch games

upload_2021-6-7_8-26-50.png

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Can you imagine being a 16 year old teenage girl and reading all the garbage on here and other social media platforms from GROWN MEN? What a f**cking world we live in. No one on this board has scrutinized any male player like this before during a draft. Why the hell are ya'll doing it now? Sarnia picked a goalie with their 14th round pick...end of story.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Can you imagine being a 16 year old teenage girl and reading all the garbage on here and other social media platforms from GROWN MEN? What a f**cking world we live in. No one on this board has scrutinized any male player like this before during a draft. Why the hell are ya'll doing it now? Sarnia picked a goalie with their 14th round pick...end of story.
I'd personally write it off as jealousy, but I'm not a teenage girl. I can't even imagine how reading all the comments on here would make me feel if I was.

Reactions: OHLTG and Otto

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
But that's all subjective
How is it subjective? Do you mean it's idealistic/a pipe dream to expect a meritocracy? My point was simply that we want to build a team, I would hope, with the best possible players--that players will deserve their spot in the lineup based on talent, skill, team needs, etc...I'm saddened, disappointed, frustrated, etc...that we don't live in a historical period that privileges talent/competency/skill/merit as the HIGHEST attributes. Can't elaborate here...

Otto

How is it subjective? Do you mean it's idealistic/a pipe dream to expect a meritocracy? My point was simply that we want to build a team, I would hope, with the best possible players--that players will deserve their spot in the lineup based on talent, skill, team needs, etc...I'm saddened, disappointed, frustrated, etc...that we don't live in a historical period that privileges talent/competency/skill/merit as the HIGHEST attributes. Can't elaborate here...
I mean "the best possible players" is subjective. Who one team determines to be the best possible player isn't necessarily who another team determines the best possible player. We hear it every year.. a team says 'wow, we can't believe the player was still there"

So... it's subjective

Reactions: OHLFan90

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

And the draft Page on the Ontariohockeyleague.com has her silhouette beside Musty, the 1ST OVERALL PICK. It’s a big story and with it comes all the assessments, good and bad.

16 year old boys will see the same on Twitter and facebook etc. Anyone high profile, no matter what their job is, will be criticized publicly. It comes with the territory. As soon as she decided to play with boys she opened herself up to the criticism, right or wrong.

If you think this is the first time she’s had to deal with this type of stuff, you are sadly mistaken. She’s had to deal with this to a certain degree since the fist day she stepped on the ice with the boys.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I mean "the best possible players" is subjective. Who one team determines to be the best possible player isn't necessarily who another team determines the best possible player. We hear it every year.. a team says 'wow, we can't believe the player was still there"

So... it's subjective

A meritocracy is NOT subjective. Merit itself is subjective.

A meritocracy based on talent/competency/skill is not subjective. What one person judges as talent/competency/skill is subjective.

Nelli wants to see teams draft based on merit as defined as talent/competency/skill. The question is whether teams (and society in general) value those attributes as much as they used to or at least should.

In this case, there seems to be two sides:
1> Who cares how the Sting use their picks or why they drafted Taya? IT isn’t relevant. Let’s jsut applaud the fact a girl was drafted for the first time ever.
2> Why would a team that “should” be emphasizing the drafting of true prospects draft a Female knowing that through all of the history of mankind, females have not been able to compete at the highest levels of sport as Men once they reach the age of 14 when Males start o leave Females behind physically?

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
He never said teams shouldn’t value players as they would like, he said they should earn whatever they’re given. If they impress a team and earn a spot….. that’s merit. If she impresses and earns a spot then great for her!

Reactions: cub and Ferda11

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I wonder if this issue has sparked another viable question and that is why are there 15 rounds in the OHL if not for simply acquiring players for full training camps?

We hear it all the time. Who cares about a 14th round pick? They never make the team at any point anyway and when they do it is so rare.

IF a team can throw away a pick like Sarnia did, maybe there are far too many rounds and maybe the league would be better served if the draft picks had more meaning by reducing the number of rounds to 10 and then place an emphasis on the under-18 draft the following year to maybe catch the 3 or 4 mistakes out there.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
I wonder if this issue has sparked another viable question and that is why are there 15 rounds in the OHL if not for simply acquiring players for full training camps?

We hear it all the time. Who cares about a 14th round pick? They never make the team at any point anyway and when they do it is so rare.

IF a team can throw away a pick like Sarnia did, maybe there are far too many rounds and maybe the league would be better served if the draft picks had more meaning by reducing the number of rounds to 10 and then place an emphasis on the under-18 draft the following year to maybe catch the 3 or 4 mistakes out there.
I had that same thought today. It does seem like it is very needless

Otto

It's only an "issue" because you think it is.

Interesting though, never any talk about shortening the draft until a female gets picked...

Reactions: L13

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
It's only an "issue" because you think it is.

Interesting though, never any talk about shortening the draft until a female gets picked...
I believe you’re doing what they refer to as “virtue signalling”
Aside from her, what about the other kids that are going to go to camp for 2 days, and then get sent home with basically no chance of making the team?

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I believe you’re doing what they refer to as “virtue signalling”
Aside from her, what about the other kids that are going to go to camp for 2 days, and then get sent home with basically no chance of making the team?

Perhaps you could give us a pick by pick analysis?

Reactions: Otto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad