OHL no longer for just the boys

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I will make this my last comment on the subject and will move on.

Many people do not understand the physiological differences between Men and women. Many more don’t understand at what age range those differences start to take shape.

Girls hit puberty 2 years, on average, before Boys. Girls reach their “adult height” around 2 years before boys. Their bodies reach their maturity on height about two years before boys and when you factor in muscle “development,” not growth, it is a solid 5-6 years before boys.

When we look at the “average person,” we may not see a significant difference at age 13 between boys and girls. But it starts to become much more apparent at age 14-15 and by 16, it is very apparent.

This is why girls have a high ability to hang with the boys at a younger age but by the time they get to 13-14, they start to become less able.

So, even though Miss Currie was able to accomplish quite a bit up to her 15th year, it will be a monumental task for her to continue to climb that ladder with significant physiological disadvantages.

Any OHL team that chooses to draft a Female at that age is really throwing a pick away. An OHL team would be far better off waiting to sign a free agent that has proven to be able to complete with the boys at age 17.

We see a lot of walk on players out of training camp or undrafted players make a difference. If/when we see a female player in the OHL, I think that is the most likely route.
Tell me how this selection is a negative for the team, the league, and the player?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
The fact that a Billy didn't get picked in the 14th round isn't a big story because every year there's a Billy that didn't get picked in the 14th round

I do think it's slightly different in this circumstance if you just limit it to her own team. By all reports and accounts pre draft, her goalie partner, Owen Davy was the better goalie and OHL prospect.

I won't comment personally on their respective play year to year as I've only seen 4 games total, 2 each.

I do find it odd that he was not selected, given where he was projected to go pre draft.

Reactions: cub

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Good for her, regardless of whether it was based on skill, she’s a capable midget goalie taken in the late rounds.

There are dozens of picks thrown away at the ends of the CHL drafts every year as favours, I know this first hand from both a player and scout’s side. Nothing wrong with using a 14th pick on a long shot.

This should help women’s hockey gain some exposure, that’s a plus. Taya has a future in hockey, whichever route she chooses to take.

Worst thing to come from it is the verbal diarrhea that will be directed at Taya.

I definitely think there were better goalies available, and that’s without watching a single AAA game in Ontario, but that happens every year, in every CHL draft. There are always better players left undrafted.

Otto

I do think it's slightly different in this circumstance if you just limit it to her own team. By all reports and accounts pre draft, her goalie partner, Owen Davy was the better goalie and OHL prospect.

I won't comment personally on their respective play year to year as I've only seen 4 games total, 2 each.

I do find it odd that he was not selected, given where he was projected to go pre draft.
But again, happens every year. Unfortunately we don't know the circumstances. Maybe Sarnia didn't see Davy play? There are 19 other teams that didn't take him either, but they also didn't take Currie and thus are not being scrutinized.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I definitely think there were better goalies available, and that’s without watching a single AAA game in Ontario, but that happens every year, in every CHL draft. There are always better players left undrafted.

More so than ever this year considering the lost season. You will have more undrafted players than ever playing in the OHL in 2 to 3 years.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Tell me how this selection is a negative for the team, the league, and the player?

It is solely up to the team that drafts the player to use their draft picks judiciously. Loads of teams have used a pick here and there as a trophy or a favour to a friend of the organization.

This pick was a trophy handed to the player as a congratulations on a solid couple years playing at the same level as the boys. Good for her and I don’t have any issues withthe Sting sacrificing a 14th round pick to make a statement.

The post you are referencing was directed at those that actually think she has a real opportunity. The mountains ahead of her for making an OHL team on merit are virtually insurmountable. We hear a lot about “girls work just as hard and deserve the same.” They deserve the same opportunity, I agree. But, they don’t deserve the same result. Sport is based on merit, ability/skill vs ability/skill.

The reality is, for whatever reason, biology did not hand out an equality card for both men and women when it comes to physical ability. When we start looking at the top 0.01% of athletes, the physicality gap between men and women is vast. Insurmountable. She is now about to start entering that realm.

So, if team management makes draft picks based on “project ability” of a players skill and attributes, it is virtually a zero percent chance Taya will advance anywhere near the same rate as most of the boys drafted with her.

My fear is there are a lot of unrealistic expectations about to be placed on the player and the team. How each of them deal with that will be the focus going forward.

Otto

It is solely up to the team that drafts the player to use their draft picks judiciously. Loads of teams have used a pick here and there as a trophy or a favour to a friend of the organization.

This pick was a trophy handed to the player as a congratulations on a solid couple years playing at the same level as the boys. Good for her and I don’t have any issues withthe Sting sacrificing a 14th round pick to make a statement.

The post you are referencing was directed at those that actually think she has a real opportunity. The mountains ahead of her for making an OHL team on merit are virtually insurmountable. We hear a lot about “girls work just as hard and deserve the same.” They deserve the same opportunity, I agree. But, they don’t deserve the same result. Sport is based on merit, ability/skill vs ability/skill.

The reality is, for whatever reason, biology did not hand out an equality card for both men and women when it comes to physical ability. When we start looking at the top 0.01% of athletes, the physicality gap between men and women is vast. Insurmountable. She is now about to start entering that realm.

So, if team management makes draft picks based on “project ability” of a players skill and attributes, it is virtually a zero percent chance Taya will advance anywhere near the same rate as most of the boys drafted with her.

So really, the only negative you can find, is something that you don't know is actually true

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
It's a great accomplishment and I wish Taya all the luck in the world. Just saying though if the Rangers picked a goalie that was 5'7" 145 lbs I would go batshit crazy.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Anyone that thinks this wasn’t anything but a publicity stunt is crazy. If she was a male , with her numbers and height, she would never have been picked. Good for her for getting her name called, but I’m not sure she has anything to really be proud of, and if they parade her out and get her embarrassed in pre season games I think they would be doing her a disservice. And, I would 100% be in support of a female making the league on her own merit, that would be such a cool story, but this isn’t it.

Last edited:

Otto

Anyone that thinks this wasn’t anything but a publicity stunt is crazy. If she was a male , with her numbers and height, she would never have been picked. Good for her for getting her name called, but I’m not sure she has anything to really be proud of, and if they parade her out and get her embarrassed in pre season games I think they would be doing her a disservice. And, I would 100% be in support of a female making the league on her own merit, that would be such a cool story, but this isn’t it.
Keep inspiring!

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Way to discredit her. Hopefully you aren’t just singling her out and will post your thoughts on everyone else you think weren't worthy of being drafted too.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Word on the street is she'll receive an invite to camp from her local Jr. C team, the North Middlesex Stars.

Probably an ideal situation for her. It's not much of a step up from her current competition, but still playing against older, bigger players. All while enjoying the comforts of home.

Reactions: Leviathan899

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Word on the street is she'll receive an invite to camp from her local Jr. C team, the North Middlesex Stars.

Probably an ideal situation for her. It's not much of a step up from her current competition, but still playing against older, bigger players. All while enjoying the comforts of home.
That’s good to hear! Jr C is a good spot for any young goalie to get a feel for junior hockey and stronger, bigger players.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Way to discredit her. Hopefully you aren’t just singling her out and will post your thoughts on everyone else you think weren't worthy of being drafted too.
I don’t think he’s discrediting her, but you and your Ilk love to paint people into boxes. There were a lot of boys who didn’t deserve to be drafted yesterday as well, could name 100 of them. I don’t agree with them being picked over more deserving, better players, lots of favours and deals on the side. But this is all about merit, right? We’re not talking about the kids who were obvious favours, because it goes without saying they didn’t deserve to be picked.

Reactions: Truthking

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Any of the kids drafted that late are supreme longshots to ever even get a sniff in training camp, and are likely interchangeable with 100’s off kids who didn’t get drafted at all…. The difference would be the national media isn’t talking about any of those kids. I’m sorry that me being honest hurts your feelings, but does it not seem the least bit odd to you that the goalie on her own team that by all accounts is much better then her didn’t get drafted and she did? You think that is because of her talent and future prospects?

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Keep inspiring!
If the habs called me to play tonight would that inspire you? No. I have no business being there, and them giving me a courtesy invite doesn’t inspire a soul, nor would it do anything for me other then make me look like an idiot.

Otto

If the habs called me to play tonight would that inspire you? No. I have no business being there, and them giving me a courtesy invite doesn’t inspire a soul, nor would it do anything for me other then make me look like an idiot.

No.... That wouldn't inspire me. A guy like Saku Koivu? Ya, that's inspiring. To see someone go through a similar battle as you and to achieve something many people didn't believe possible, that's inspiring and that's what's happened with Taya.

It's up to her if she wants to try out, and up to her and the Sting to see if she makes it. She is being given the opportunity to make those choices. Yes, she may have been picked over some better players than she is, but again, it happens every year and it doesn't turn into a massive thread.

Its been said many times, 14th round players don't generally make an impact, also 16 year old goalies don't generally see a lot of action. So again what's the harm in the pick? If 14th round picks don't generally see the ice in the OHL then it shouldn't matter who got picked on this spot. Instead apparently it does matter because some people don't want to see a female inspire other females

Reactions: SoupNazi

Otto

Any of the kids drafted that late are supreme longshots to ever even get a sniff in training camp, and are likely interchangeable with 100’s off kids who didn’t get drafted at all…. The difference would be the national media isn’t talking about any of those kids. I’m sorry that me being honest hurts your feelings, but does it not seem the least bit odd to you that the goalie on her own team that by all accounts is much better then her didn’t get drafted and she did? You think that is because of her talent and future prospects?

So what's your explanation for 19 other teams not taking that other goalie?

Last edited:

Otto

I'd say the explanation is I guess he wasn't good enough.
and yet...

By all reports and accounts pre draft, her goalie partner, Owen Davy was the better goalie and OHL prospect.

19 other teams passed on him. Maybe theres more tonit? Maybe he expressed an interest to play in the USA? Bottom line.. players get passed over every year for whatever reason.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Yes, deserving players get passed over every year, just like undeserving players get selected every year.

I'm leaving this for now. This discussion has gone completely in circles.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Earlier, I said I was going to give my take on Currie's pick. So...here it is.

First, good on her for being picked and for Sarnia to making that pick. Second, I'd bet that even Currie knows she's a longshot at BEST to crack the Sting roster; she may well end up on their Jr. B team or not even play in the OHL at all. She and her family are doing the wise thing and keeping all of their options open(and that includes NCAA if that's her main goal).

Reactions: Pink Mist and Otto

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Well if there is another goalie that small with poor stats then yes he shouldn’t have been drafted either. It’s not that complicated

CoyotesHFNHL

May 30, 2010
Well if there is another goalie that small with poor stats then yes he shouldn’t have been drafted either. It’s not that complicated

Poor stats? What were her stats from this season? All their games are on youtube so you could very easily assemble her W-L-T and GAA just from checking the end of the games she played. Were those numbers worse than the goaltender she played against who was drafted in North Bay? If they aren't then why are you not outraged at them for making that pick?

Also, as far as small goalies, Brett Brochu was smaller than her. He's doing just fine.

You haven't been on here in almost a year and all of a sudden you're back and really, really upset that this girl achieved history.. like it personally offends you deep down and I hope you're able to move forward and find a more constructive place for your anger and resentment. Teenage girls aren't the place to direct it.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Lol, you tally them up and get back to me. It’s funny the people always saying others are mad, always seem to be very agitated. I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings, she will definitely, probably be playing in the ohl. Feel better?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad