OHL no longer for just the boys

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
So many people on this thread think people like me are rooting against her but we are not. We are just being realistic about her chances.
The world isn’t interested in reality. The goal now is to make everyone feel good. Truth be damned.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The world isn’t interested in reality. The goal now is to make everyone feel good. Truth be damned.

werent you the guy ranting that matt brassard was awful, only a draft pick because of favoritism and would never play in the ohl?

two years later he was a draft pick of the canucks and got a pro contact out of it.

Reactions: Otto

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
werent you the guy ranting that matt brassard was awful, only a draft pick because of favoritism and would never play in the ohl?

two years later he was a draft pick of the canucks and got a pro contact out of it.
Negative, that was not me. And I’m not sure what that has to do with anything.

Do you feel good?
I feel fine, thank you for asking. Yourself?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There are three valid reasons to comment on a 14th round draft pick:

1> The player has a personal connection to you in some way…brother, Son, Nephew, maybe you coached the player etc.
2> The player is an extremely gifted player committed to the NCAA and would have otherwise been picked top half of the first round
3> There is some form of intrigue surrounding the player. That particular player stands out for something OTHER than their weak prospect status.

Clearly this is #3.

We saw this with Indigenous players in the past. We’ve seen it with Black players in the past. We’ve seen it with Asian players. We’ve seen it with players from Yukon. Firsts in any sport are a big deal. Unfortunately, this first was a very late round pick as opposed to a high pick like some of the previous examples. This will inevitably bring the validity of the pick into question, as it should if there is true discussion about the pick.

I don’t find this discussion disparaging at all. This is not some ordinary and inconsequential 14th round pick we are talking about that would typically be training camp fodder for the big guns to toy with. This is a person getting a significant amount of attention by general media, let alone the Sports Media.

The next First will inevitably be the female that actually plays a Regular Season game. Imagine the conversations surrounding that first!

Everyone knows Manon Rheaum was a publicity stunt for a new expansion team. Szabados was a fine goalie that made every effort to play at the highest level possible regardless of the gender of the league and good for her. She accepted the consequences of her decisions and sacrificed any possible NCAA route in pursuit of playing at the highest possible level her ability would earn. That is how it should be 100% of the ice.

In this case, it looks like the NCAA route will be the choice but until then, there will be people like myself that hope this is NOT a publicity stunt. We hope the pick was meant to be rationalized as a true prospect pick and that prospect will be allowed to make their future hockey career decisions based on their own personal goals as opposed to some sort of social engineering experiment where she ends up sacrificed for the cause.

Reactions: EvenSteven

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Wow, I had no idea there was so much angst over this pick on HFBoards LMAO

Why is everyone so mad? I can't even tell what the main source of agitation here is. That Sarnia 'threw away a pick'? The fourteenth round of the OHL draft is where goalies at Currie's level get drafted. What happens next is up to her and Sarnia. That the OHL draft is too long? That's for the OHL to decide. That if she attends training camp it's going to be a 'distraction'? So you don't like good publicity for the league? Would you rather the OHL was in the news because two players were arrested on suspicion of sexual assault, which is where the QMJHL's relationship with women is currently at?

As women's hockey grows, the level of competition will rise. As the level of competition continues to rise, some of the top talent in net will catch the interest of boys' and men's teams. Currie may not be the sort of curve-breaking prodigy who would be recruited without hesitation, but she's shown good enough results against good enough competition to be drafted in the late rounds, just like a male prospect would be. This isn't even the first time something like this has happened, and it won't be the last. One day, there may be a female goaltender in the NHL. What's so bad about that? You guys afraid female goalies will give you cooties or what?

Just an astounding amount of cope here.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Wow, I had no idea there was so much angst over this pick on HFBoards LMAO

Why is everyone so mad? I can't even tell what the main source of agitation here is. That Sarnia 'threw away a pick'? The fourteenth round of the OHL draft is where goalies at Currie's level get drafted. What happens next is up to her and Sarnia. That the OHL draft is too long? That's for the OHL to decide. That if she attends training camp it's going to be a 'distraction'? So you don't like good publicity for the league? Would you rather the OHL was in the news because two players were arrested on suspicion of sexual assault, which is where the QMJHL's relationship with women is currently at?

As women's hockey grows, the level of competition will rise. As the level of competition continues to rise, some of the top talent in net will catch the interest of boys' and men's teams. Currie may not be the sort of curve-breaking prodigy who would be recruited without hesitation, but she's shown good enough results against good enough competition to be drafted in the late rounds, just like a male prospect would be. This isn't even the first time something like this has happened, and it won't be the last. One day, there may be a female goaltender in the NHL. What's so bad about that? You guys afraid female goalies will give you cooties or what?

Just an astounding amount of cope here.

You've completely missed the net on this.

Yes, a couple of people may be "eye rolling" but that is NOT the vast majority.

We can leave the "females in the NHL one day" for another discussion. There's enough static in this thread already.

She's the first female drafted by an OHL team and as such it is a pretty big deal. With it, there will be opinions. Hell, even the OHL Draft Page has her sillhouette beside the first overall pick! So, clearly this is a pretty big deal.

No one is afraid of a female playing hockey at any level. As if anyone is scared, I mean, really? That's just preposterous.

The questions mostly surround a female's ability to "physically" keep up with the boys after the age of 15 when girls physically stop developing and boys are at the beginning stages of physically developing. THAT would be the only reason to question the pick because it brings into account whether a female can be a prospect at this level.

In addition, we've seen countless situations where social justice has taken over situations and made it impossible for certain individuals to pursue their own personal interests because of the immense pressure put on these individuals to "represent" that social justice cause. I'm not saying this will happen. It is at a level a little too low in my mind for outside interference to truly come into effect BUT with so many businesses and organizations reaching further into the abyss for some sort of exploited advantage, I wouldn't put it past a major company signing her to some sort of endorsement deal and then pressure gets put on Taya to push back against the boys instead of going the more traditional route.

Again, I am not saying this WILL happen but with the social climate the way it is now, it is possible. I don't think anyone wants to see that. Everyone wants the player (whatever age, colour, religious denomination or gender) to earn their spot based on their talent/skill and heart. That is what Sport is about.

Reactions: EvenSteven

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
You've completely missed the net on this.

Yes, a couple of people may be "eye rolling" but that is NOT the vast majority.

We can leave the "females in the NHL one day" for another discussion. There's enough static in this thread already.

She's the first female drafted by an OHL team and as such it is a pretty big deal. With it, there will be opinions. Hell, even the OHL Draft Page has her sillhouette beside the first overall pick! So, clearly this is a pretty big deal.

No one is afraid of a female playing hockey at any level. As if anyone is scared, I mean, really? That's just preposterous.

The questions mostly surround a female's ability to "physically" keep up with the boys after the age of 15 when girls physically stop developing and boys are at the beginning stages of physically developing. THAT would be the only reason to question the pick because it brings into account whether a female can be a prospect at this level.

In addition, we've seen countless situations where social justice has taken over situations and made it impossible for certain individuals to pursue their own personal interests because of the immense pressure put on these individuals to "represent" that social justice cause. I'm not saying this will happen. It is at a level a little too low in my mind for outside interference to truly come into effect BUT with so many businesses and organizations reaching further into the abyss for some sort of exploited advantage, I wouldn't put it past a major company signing her to some sort of endorsement deal and then pressure gets put on Taya to push back against the boys instead of going the more traditional route.

Again, I am not saying this WILL happen but with the social climate the way it is now, it is possible. I don't think anyone wants to see that. Everyone wants the player (whatever age, colour, religious denomination or gender) to earn their spot based on their talent/skill and heart. That is what Sport is about.
Breaking:
Nazem Kadri has been suspended indefinitely after OMG67 delivered a crushing blow to the head of the Nail.

Well said! you’ve got everything right on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->