OHL no longer for just the boys

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
If an 18 year old can play hockey, he'll find his way to the best league. It is even easier for that player if his rights aren't held by one team and he has 20 potential teams available. In fact, he would have almost 60 teams considering there is also the WHL and QMJHL available for free agents.

I was talking to a player's dad at camp a few years back that said exactly that. His kid was a FA and going to multiple rookie camps. He said it gave him a better chance than being a late pick.

Reactions: Truthking

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I was talking to a player's dad at camp a few years back that said exactly that. His kid was a FA and going to multiple rookie camps. He said it gave him a better chance than being a late pick.

We see that a lot at the NHL level. Sometimes it really depends on the needs of the franchise your rights are held by. Not all teams do what's best for the player. I have to admit that at the Major Junior level, a lot of teams do trade players to give them a shot though. It's pretty decent.

Reactions: rangersblues

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
There will be 20 goalies drafted this year that won't have the highlight reel of Moncada, what does that have to do with literally anything? It's not the same draft. Some of these goalies didn't even face a single shot in a game last year. Stop holding this girl being selected to a standard that you don't hold the guys to.
It’s the other way around my friend. 20 goalies drafted at all above 6 foot tall, that don’t have the highlight reel. Moncada was incredibly athletic and quick, and was actually really good being a 6th skater with the puck. The fact that those skills aren’t covetted, and size is, is a standard I don’t prefer to uphold, but is the standard of the OHL. When someone without the highlight reel of a high skill goalie, and is smaller gets drafted, it takes into question wtf just happened, until you see one thing. She’s female. Now there’s a new standard for the men.

Here is the other aspect. This girl is poised to go NCAA and get a full ride scholarship, education, playing time, the whole shabang. If she simply attends camp on Sarnias dollar she’s ineligible to play NCAA. She has to pay her own way through it. So unless she’s garaunteed to be Gaudreaus backup for 2 years, and whatever else for another 2, then it’s just not worth it otherwise for her to go OHL route. I’d hate to see Sarnia ruin this girls educational future for publicity.

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I’d hate to see Sarnia ruin this girls educational future for publicity.

Except she knows full well what her options are and the consequences involved. It's ultimately her choice what to do just like it is for any player that has options. She's already said in interviews that her Ultimate goal is the Olympics and NCAA. I'd be shocked if she actually attended Sarnia's camp.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Except she knows full well what her options are and the consequences involved. It's ultimately her choice what to do just like it is for any player that has options. She's already said in interviews that her Ultimate goal is the Olympics and NCAA. I'd be shocked if she actually attended Sarnia's camp.

Should be no issues then......

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I hope she goes to Sarnia's camp (even if it's on her own dime) and shows the critics that she's the real deal.

It is unrealistic for any 16 year old goalie, especially a very late round goalie, to go to an OHL camp and stand out in any positive way. More often than not, they get lit up.

It is extremely rare a 16 year old goalie actually makes a roster, even the high draft picks.

She may very well show up to training camp for the experience but I think her career path does not involve the Sarnia Sting or the OHL.

The one huge advantage she has over the other late round picks is she is a girl. Although she may not stack up well against the boys in the same age group (16-20) at the OHL level, she will stack up very favourably against the girls in her age group. She will have a tremendous advantage vs a Male 14th round pick. She will have her choice of NCAA scholarship options. She will have an opportunity to play for National Teams. These are advantages not normally afforded to late round OHL picks.

Suiting up for Sarnia and rolling those dice means she loses that NCAA scholarship. There is no chance she does that.

Reactions: EvenSteven

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It is unrealistic for any 16 year old goalie, especially a very late round goalie, to go to an OHL camp and stand out in any positive way. More often than not, they get lit up.

It is extremely rare a 16 year old goalie actually makes a roster, even the high draft picks.

She may very well show up to training camp for the experience but I think her career path does not involve the Sarnia Sting or the OHL.

The one huge advantage she has over the other late round picks is she is a girl. Although she may not stack up well against the boys in the same age group (16-20) at the OHL level, she will stack up very favourably against the girls in her age group. She will have a tremendous advantage vs a Male 14th round pick. She will have her choice of NCAA scholarship options. She will have an opportunity to play for National Teams. These are advantages not normally afforded to late round OHL picks.

Suiting up for Sarnia and rolling those dice means she loses that NCAA scholarship. There is no chance she does that.

Correct me if I am wrong she can't even appear in an exhibition game or she will forefit NCAA eligibility?? Just as I read your last sentence so what is the end game in selecting her?? To say she was the first female selected in an OHL draft?? Seems like a lot of bluster over nothing.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
As far as I know, you can be at a camp for 48-hours, on your own dime, and not lose NCAA eligibility. Unless that's changed in the last few years?

Guess there is still time to shine for a little while..

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
As far as I know, you can be at a camp for 48-hours, on your own dime, and not lose NCAA eligibility. Unless that's changed in the last few years?
Yes she can attend camp for 48 hours on her own dime but she (or any other player) cannot take part in any exhibition action/game or NCCA option is lost. I think she might show to camp but will likely do the NCCA thing as her best option.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Guess there is still time to shine for a little while..

She'll be shining for years, regardless of OHL v. NCAA. Sorry to disappoint her online critics...

Yes she can attend camp for 48 hours on her own dime but she (or any other player) cannot take part in any exhibition action/game or NCCA option is lost. I think she might show to camp but will likely do the NCCA thing as her best option.

100%.

Reactions: sbpointer and Otto

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Correct me if I am wrong she can't even appear in an exhibition game or she will forefit NCAA eligibility?? Just as I read your last sentence so what is the end game in selecting her?? To say she was the first female selected in an OHL draft?? Seems like a lot of bluster over nothing.

If we look at it from the perspective of "anything can happen," then the situation would be similar to all late round picks. They go to camp, get some exposure and then go play jr somewhere. Then they go to camp again next year and then go play junior somewhere.

If they start to impress when they are 17 or 18 wherever they are playing junior, they usually get signed if the team can use them.

I think if she were to play OHL hockey, her path would be no different than other late round picks.

The question I have is that girls stop physically developing at 15. Boys continue to physically develop until their early 20's. It is going to be tough for her to keep pace physically. So, the question is whether she will be able to keep pace. It's not like there are examples out there in sports like hockey where a female has been able to reach that level.

So, based on that, you can understand why there are so many people skeptical about her chances.

So many people on this thread think people like me are rooting against her but we are not. We are just being realistic about her chances.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016

Ok, here's a question regarding exhibition play: Suppose that she gets tapped to dress as a back-up goaltender, appears on the game sheet as such, but never actually gets any playing time minutes. Would that constitute " taking part" sufficient to disqualify her NCAA option ?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Ok, here's a question regarding exhibition play: Suppose that she gets tapped to dress as a back-up goaltender, appears on the game sheet as such, but never actually gets any playing time minutes. Would that constitute " taking part" sufficient to disqualify her NCAA option ?
Player can't dress for an exhibition game as this is considered taking part. Even if they could dress as a back up what would happen if there was an injury? Team would never dress a goalie that would not play if they needed them.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Only needs to be listed on the game sheet as far as I know.

Reactions: Purple Phart

TerryN

May 17, 2016
Most players trying out they will not play an exhibition game unless they have signed an acceptable OHL contract. Players are well educated in these rules and do not break them unless they think the NCAA is not an acceptable option for them. It is unlikely she ever dresses in the OHL since the NCAA is probably a much more viable option for her.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad