OHL no longer for just the boys

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Trailblazing local goalie has chance to make OHL Draft her-story | London Free Press

This story is quite impressive not just because the OHL has done something incredibly but that it has never happened before. One of the names that maybe a once in a lifetime chance for the OHL or the start of a generational change.

Next week will be very interesting to see where names fall including Currie at her '5 "7 height and playing capability.

Good luck to her.
Hope she gets drafted based on her abilities.....

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
This is a very cool story. I do, however, fear that she will be put in some unfair positions so that the league in desperate need for some positive attention can get some likes and retweets. If she's good enough to play in the OHL next season, all the power to whatever team picks her. If not, I pray that a team doesn't force it right away to get credit.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
This is a very cool story. I do, however, fear that she will be put in some unfair positions so that the league in desperate need for some positive attention can get some likes and retweets. If she's good enough to play in the OHL next season, all the power to whatever team picks her. If not, I pray that a team doesn't force it right away to get credit.

Well said

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Not the first woman to break the gender barrier in hockey, but hey if she can play and the league gives her the same opportunity to show what she can do then why not? As far as my knowledge she's draft eligible age and obviously wants to give the OHL a crack at showing that a girl can play with boys then I say let her.

The woman's national team has been very good over the years in Canada so as far as I see it no harm no foul, if she understands the level of compete and that there won't be an easy road and no guarentee but an opportunity to show what she can do in net then let her.

She may never crack an OHL lineup but no harm no foul of giving her an opportunity like anyone else her age, there's no ruling saying that a girl couldn't approach the league and meet the league requirements and be draft eligible as far as I understand it she meets the league age eligibility and was playing in a Minor Midget league that OHL players are drafted from so someone will take a chance or an invite for her and let her show her ability on the ice if she can handle it then she will play in the OHL and if she can't then the OHL can't be accused of being sexist for giving her an opportunity to play.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
She's from a team that's produced dozens of solid OHL talents over the last decade. If she's drafted on her talents and makes an OHL team in the same fashion, that's fantastic. I'm sure ears will perk up if/when her name is called and she hits camp, but that's not on her. From the video, she's like any other prospect; working hard to advance in the game.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
She's from a team that's produced dozens of solid OHL talents over the last decade. If she's drafted on her talents and makes an OHL team in the same fashion, that's fantastic. I'm sure ears will perk up if/when her name is called and she hits camp, but that's not on her. From the video, she's like any other prospect; working hard to advance in the game.

Media will have a say either way...

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

I couldn't have said it any better myself, OHLTG.

She is a prospect, a young woman but an OHL prospect non the less. If she makes it to the OHL and sticks then she obviously outworked her male counterparts and if an OHL team doesn't believe she can play at this level then at least she will be given a chance to show what she can do in the net.

As you said OHLTG "She's like any other prospect hardworking." As far as I believe why should the OHL refuse her an opportunity if she is just as capable as any of her male counterparts then an OHL team will give her a chance.

Just because she's a woman doesn't mean she should be refused an opportunity to show if she can play at this level let her, nothing ventured nothing gained if nothing less give her an equal opportunity to a tryout and see what happens.

Obviously the Elgin Middlesex Chefs gave her a chance at the minor Midget level so why not at the OHL level? Whether or not if effects other kids development shouldn't change there are hundreds of kids who are OHL draft eligible every year that never make the OHL or make it by other means and fans don't get there feathers ruffled so this shouldn't be a surprise to fans.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As long as this doesn’t turn into the same situation as the female NCAA kicker last fall. That was a train wreck of media coverage drooling all over her.

I’m all for women in sports. Zero issues with it at all. However, from a hockey perspective, the highest level women’s “skaters” play at the AAA Bantam level. Goalies may be slightly different of course.

My fear is this is used as some sort of social justice angle and is dramatically exploited by media and other social justice organizations.

In the end, if she can play at a high enough level to justify the draft selection then so be it. I just hope they don’t bring her into camp, throw her into an exhibition game for exploitive purposes and she gets shelled. Then she’s unable to sign an NCAA scholarship because she played that exhibition game. I wouldn’t put it past anyone in hockey to use her as a tool to advance their team profile without at all considering what is best for the player.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
5'7" will make it difficult, especially since female's tend to have already reached there adult height by 14/15.

Won't comment on her abilities, as I have no idea.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Lots of grown men in this thread feeling personally attacked or threatened by a 15-year-old girl.
I think you are reading this thread all wrong. Seems to me most on this thread are in support of a goalie being given an opportunity. The fact that this goalie is a girl is going to draw attention but I read this thread and see lots of grown men and women who post here as supporting the chance that should have been given to girls along time ago. This opportunity is long over due.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I think you are reading this thread all wrong. Seems to me most on this thread are in support of a goalie being given an opportunity. The fact that this goalie is a girl is going to draw attention but I read this thread and see lots of grown men and women who post here as supporting the chance that should have been given to girls along time ago. This opportunity is long over due.

That's a very true statement.

Do fans feel a little threatened that a young woman wants to play a sport in a league that is primarily male oriented, probably. But this is because this has never happened before in the OHL. This situation is no different from having a female trainer or doctor on an OHL team staff and before posters say it hasn't happened both Guelph and Sarnia have had women medical staff in their organization before.

I believe this just because she's a woman doesn't mean she should be refused an opportunity to show what she is capable of, if she's drafted onto an OHL team that will be up to the management of that team to properly accommodate to the situation in a fair manner nothing more. Agreed this is a unique situation and it will continue to shock posters on here for quite some time but let's look at the reality of the situation.

1. Is she appropriate age to be drafted into the OHL? Yes

2. Does she understand the situation she is choosing? Well obviously she does if she was playing the game with her male counterparts last year

3. As far as I understand it the OHL has no ruling saying that a woman couldn't play in a lower level and be drafted by an OHL team. I believe that this young woman would like to have a opportunity to play thr sport she obviously loves with her male counterparts at the Major Junior level then let her.

Owen Sound management has always said one thing that every player they drafted is given an opportunity to show what they can do to make the OHL and that it is up to the players themselves to make a impact on the management staff to sign them to a playing contract, there is no special treatment and equal opportunity for all the players.

I'm sure if all OHL teams use the same philosophy then whoever could select her will hopefully give her an equal opportunity to show what she can do and whatever happens, happens I'm sure this girl just wants to an have an opportunity to play and show her skills at this level and I'm okay with that.

There's only two outcomes that can happen here.

1. She's just as talented and competitive as her male counterparts and an OHL team takes that chance with her and she becomes the first woman to break the gender barrier in the OHL level and the fans who think this shouldn't happen drop their jaws.

2. She finds out that she is way over her capabilities and that the OHL is something totally different from what she expected, nevertheless.

As far as I see it as to reiterate my previous statement she is a woman and an OHL eligible prospect and that is simply something that should be respected for her bravery to want to compete with men and nothing else.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That's a very true statement.

Do fans feel a little threatened that a young woman wants to play a sport in a league that is primarily male oriented, probably. But this is because this has never happened before in the OHL. This situation is no different from having a female trainer or doctor on an OHL team staff and before posters say it hasn't happened both Guelph and Sarnia have had women medical staff in their organization before.

I believe this just because she's a woman doesn't mean she should be refused an opportunity to show what she is capable of, if she's drafted onto an OHL team that will be up to the management of that team to properly accommodate to the situation in a fair manner nothing more. Agreed this is a unique situation and it will continue to shock posters on here for quite some time but let's look at the reality of the situation.

1. Is she appropriate age to be drafted into the OHL? Yes

2. Does she understand the situation she is choosing? Well obviously she does if she was playing the game with her male counterparts last year

3. As far as I understand it the OHL has no ruling saying that a woman couldn't play in a lower level and be drafted by an OHL team. I believe that this young woman would like to have a opportunity to play thr sport she obviously loves with her male counterparts at the Major Junior level then let her.

Owen Sound management has always said one thing that every player they drafted is given an opportunity to show what they can do to make the OHL and that it is up to the players themselves to make a impact on the management staff to sign them to a playing contract, there is no special treatment and equal opportunity for all the players.

I'm sure if all OHL teams use the same philosophy then whoever could select her will hopefully give her an equal opportunity to show what she can do and whatever happens, happens I'm sure this girl just wants to an have an opportunity to play and show her skills at this level and I'm okay with that.

There's only two outcomes that can happen here.

1. She's just as talented and competitive as her male counterparts and an OHL team takes that chance with her and she becomes the first woman to break the gender barrier in the OHL level and the fans who think this shouldn't happen drop their jaws.

2. She finds out that she is way over her capabilities and that the OHL is something totally different from what she expected, nevertheless.

As far as I see it as to reiterate my previous statement she is a woman and an OHL eligible prospect and that is simply something that should be respected for her bravery to want to compete with men and nothing else.

This is very naive.

I agree that everyone should have the same opportunity.

The issue is that this WILL shape up as an exploitation. Every time a female has ventured into the sporting world with men, they've been exploited by the media and other organizations. They were used as a marketing tool. It is disgusting how that has happened every single time.

The female hockey community is trying to build its own brand and compete at a high enough level to be considered legitimate. If this young lady is exploited, it will not help the women's game at all. It will just serve to "put them back in their place" as second rate sports. And that is not fair to anyone.

I've never seen this young lady play BUT when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

I hope I am wrong and this young lady will not be exploited for social justice marketing but based on what we've seen to date, I don't think I am wrong. I hope no OHL team drafts her for positive public releations and trots her out as some sort of symbol of their own progressive stance.

Reactions: Garyboy

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
This is very naive.

I agree that everyone should have the same opportunity.

The issue is that this WILL shape up as an exploitation. Every time a female has ventured into the sporting world with men, they've been exploited by the media and other organizations. They were used as a marketing tool. It is disgusting how that has happened every single time.

The female hockey community is trying to build its own brand and compete at a high enough level to be considered legitimate. If this young lady is exploited, it will not help the women's game at all. It will just serve to "put them back in their place" as second rate sports. And that is not fair to anyone.

I've never seen this young lady play BUT when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

I hope I am wrong and this young lady will not be exploited for social justice marketing but based on what we've seen to date, I don't think I am wrong. I hope no OHL team drafts her for positive public releations and trots her out as some sort of symbol of their own progressive stance.

Unfortunately we could make the argument the OHL exploits young men too for profit but no one bats an eye on it.

I've heard many times over the years of the CHL in previous years exploiting players for profit and until recent years has never been even a thought. This is really no different now if an OHL teams drafts her then it's up to that team to break the gender barrier and accept those responsibilities that follow.

If the OHL refused her eligibility into the OHL draft then the PR nightmare on the OHL hands would be even worse because then they would be labeled sexist and anything that would be associated with charities linked to women would be destroyed like Pink in the Rink games etc.

If the league let's her be eligible and she doesn't get picked by an OHL team then the league can't be labeled sexist, and then there's no harm to the league's reputation moving forward isn't dragged through the dirt.

She may never play or even picked in the OHL draft but if they refuse her eligibility then I would hate to be the PR director for the OHL having to sort out that mess.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
I look at the career of Shannon Szabados and do not wish to see Taya Currie follow a similar path at this young age.

Don’t get me wrong — even at 36, Szabados remains a fantastic goalie, she’s got multiple Olympic and World Championships Gold medals and a legitimate shot at the Hall of Fame sometime down the road. The lady was and remains a damn good goalie.

But she also lost her NCAA eligibility at the tender age of 16 after playing in a single pre-season game for the WHL’s Tri-Cities Americans in 2002.

Everything still worked out — she had a fine 5-year run in the Tier II Alberta Junior Hockey League, another 5-year run with various Alberta college men’s teams, and a few seasons in the Southern Professional Hockey League. Of course, add her Team Canada service to all that and her career looks even better.

But the fact remains that she gave up a legitimate option, NCAA, to play 1 measly WHL game at age 16. The point isn’t that “everything still worked out.” No, if I’m counselling Taya Currie today, I’m looking to protect her options, not limit them, because not everyone ends up like Shannon Szabados.

If she is chosen in the priority selection, let’s hope she then receives the sound guidance needed to help her become all that her potential suggests awaits her. If that’s in the OHL, great. But if not, let’s hope she is steered in the best direction.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Trailblazing local goalie has chance to make OHL Draft her-story | London Free Press

This story is quite impressive not just because the OHL has done something incredibly but that it has never happened before. One of the names that maybe a once in a lifetime chance for the OHL or the start of a generational change.

Next week will be very interesting to see where names fall including Currie at her '5 "7 height and playing capability.

FWIW, seen Terry Doyle (SAR play by play) say on twitter she was considering switching over to women's hockey next year in order to pursuit a women's NCAA scholarship for post-secondary.

Reactions: BoxerMax and OHLTG

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
FWIW, seen Terry Doyle (SAR play by play) say on twitter she was considering switching over to women's hockey next year in order to pursuit a women's NCAA scholarship for post-secondary.

I've always heard similar stuff about players playing in the OHL that say they will go the NCAA route unfortunately there's no basis to back whether or not prospects actually fulfill those commitments. The draft and what happens after the fact will determine what this girl does.

No one has a crystal ball saying what she will.or won't do as far as I'm concerned she is another OHL prospect that the OHL Director of Scouting has pointed out ahead of the draft. What happens between now and draft days is really up to the individual.

Maybe she goes NCAA maybe she goes against what people think and doesn't want to do what people say she has to we all can spin our theories on what will happen and until they do I still stand by my earlier posting she is a woman and an OHL prospect and beyond that whatever path this girl takes that on her back no one else's.

Let's just see what happens on draft day.

Reactions: OHLTG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad