Offseason Thread XX: Hockey Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'm looking at potential RHD targets, Pokka has been mentioned, but he is not expansion exempt so that puts a damper on things with him

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
is J.T. Miller for Brandon Montour and a high pick (2nd round probs) a good trade?

I think it might be, Montour should be pretty good, but not sure on value.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Been thinking about the three way recently.

Framework would be:

Miller to ANA
Fowler to WPG
Trouba to NYR

Fill in cap related moves Rangers taking on a few one ways, give up some ELCs, decent prospects, another NHLer, and maybe getting another NHL player.

Three teams fill needs.

Been proposing this for 2 days now

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Okay I am putting on my Bern glasses here for a potential team lineup with trades

1. Anaheim receives: JT Miller
Rangers receives: Brandon Montour & ANA 2017 2nd round pick

2. Edmonton receives: Kevin Klein
Rangers receives: Anton Slepyshev & EDM 2018 3rd round pick

Lines:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Pirri-Stepan-Zuccarello (2A)
Vesey-Hayes-Nash (2B)
Grabner-Jooris-Fast

Gerbe/Slepyshev as 13th forward

Defense:

McDonagh-Montour
Staal-Clendening
Skjei-Girardi
Holden-McIlrath as 7 and 8 D

My reasoning:

Miller will bring back a prime RHD. Could be used to get Trouba maybe, but in this scenario we went with Montour. Ducks need another top 6 winger, and Miller fits the bill. Rangers get a RHD who is expansion exempt, and has the potential to be a top 4 guy, along with a 2nd.

Edmonton trade is simply, they need RHD, and Klein can play their second pairing. Slepyshev is a forward prospect with high upside, who is also expansion/waivers exempt, and can be a Russian buddy for Buchnevich. I would also do a Klein for Yakupov and pick trade, but Yak would need to be protected in expansion.

For the defense, you rotate McIlrath with Girardi every other game, and Holden can rotate with Clendening/Montour as needed. Now I know what you're thinking, that defense is pretty bad, and it's very reliant on young guys like Montour/Clendening/McIlrath to carry it. And you would be correct. This would be a 100% transition year, and after expansion would allow things to open up a bit. Also allows the team to #TankforLiljegren

With this approach, I am assuming that Nash has a great season, and they move him at the deadline for prospects/picks

*Takes Bern glasses off* Let me know your thoughts

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
don't tempt me
of course, if we were not smart enough to avoid NMC to begin with:laugh:

Yes.
OTOH, If we used our financial muscle and ate 2.5 on Stepan, making him 4.0, that would be so desirable that we could force 'peg to make it a package deal that includes Staal and his NMC.

Stepan down to 4, Staal ditto, and Raanta at 1m x2 = 9 in cap hit
vs
Trouba rfa = 0, but they would have to expect to go ballpark 6 just for him on long term deal
Burmistrov expiring at 1.55
and Pavelec, expiring if mem serves like 3.9 something

1. Trading players before their NMC/NTC kicks in, is bad for business. It tarnishes your credibility during future negotiations. Philly did this with Richards and Carter.
2. Retaining 2.5m for 5 years on Stepan's contract is ridiculous. Salary retention for more than 2 seasons is basically shooting yourself in the foot cap-wise
3. Stepan at 6.5m is more than worth every penny he makes.

lJuicel

Feb 1, 2010
St. John's
Another scenario could be we send him to Detroit for Howard at half price PLUS something for our trouble.

Umm, the Wings would actually be taking on cap for the season if they traded Howard at 1/2 for Pavs. Shorter term, yes but a quick glance at the Wings cap and I don't think they could fit this deal under the cap this year. Or it would be awfully close.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
1. Trading players before their NMC/NTC kicks in, is bad for business. It tarnishes your credibility during future negotiations. Philly did this with Richards and Carter.
2. Retaining 2.5m for 5 years on Stepan's contract is ridiculous. Salary retention for more than 2 seasons is basically shooting yourself in the foot cap-wise
3. Stepan at 6.5m is more than worth every penny he makes.

Hey now. No reason to be realistic around these parts. Trade Stepan before that NMC kicks in. Do it to other players too. Then sit and wonder why no one wants to sign/play here anymore.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Essentially, there are three forwards that are likely available to facilitate a deal for Trouba

1). Zuccarello - probably has the most trade value, as well as the best fit in terms of cap space; also would fit the same mold as Brassard in terms of maximizing his value.

2). Miller - not as much trade value as Zucc, but a cost-controlled young asset. Additional cap space would have to be created. And, while it's only been one game, the signing of Vesey might make Miller somewhat redundant.

3) Nash - probably the most ideal player to move due to age and contract, but he'd have to be moved in a separate deal for assets to bring back Trouba. Not as much trade value as Zucc and the Rangers would likely have to retain money in the deal.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
By the way big games didn't hear zuccs name once in this World Cup Final. Again we all love the guy but he plays as small as he looks in big time hockey games is what it is. I'd move him asap if possible.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Essentially, there are three forwards that are likely available to facilitate a deal for Trouba

1). Zuccarello - probably has the most trade value, as well as the best fit in terms of cap space; also would fit the same mold as Brassard in terms of maximizing his value.

2). Miller - not as much trade value as Zucc, but a cost-controlled young asset. Additional cap space would have to be created. And, while it's only been one game, the signing of Vesey might make Miller somewhat redundant.

3) Nash - probably the most ideal player to move due to age and contract, but he'd have to be moved in a separate deal for assets to bring back Trouba. Not as much trade value as Zucc and the Rangers would likely have to retain money in the deal.

in order to pry trouba away from gm chevy, a top line player will need to go the other way. thats a given.

i agree that zuccarello would be that guy. front line player with a good contract. his buddy was moved to the sens and he's the next in line.

if you can turn brassard, zuc and mcilrath into zibanejad and trouba. OMG. done deal. period.

i dont believe nash is going anywhere in that deal though. i wish but not happening. and i would not want to see jt miller moved. he's a kid who is ready to breakout imo and i exactly the type of player gorton is looking to add. keep him.

as unpopular as it may be, i still think the offer needs to be zuc and dylan mcilrath. makes too much sense.

zuc steps right in to that top 9 lineup and mcilrath replaces trouba in that 3RD spot and gives them a western canada homegrown kid who can develop behind big buf and tyler myers.

gm chevy gets his top line player and a high upside youngster to develop. we open up a top 9 forward spot for brandon pirri and settle on a defense that looks like this.

mcd/trouba
staal/klein
skjei/girardi
holden

zuc & mcilrath for jake trouba. makes too much sense.

thats your deal folks.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Took a gander at the Jets board, they seem to be under the impression that a vetted poster said something around Zucc to the Jets would happen soon now that the WCoH is over. Did I miss that somewhere?

Zucc and Skjei seems to be something a few of their fans would settle for, but honestly I think it's a bit of an overpayment.

Also, as odd as it may seem, I'd feel better moving Skjei ahead of McIlrath. Finally seems to be coming into his own and he's the one RHD in our pipeline that I could actually see being a 2nd pair defender. It's also much easier to find a 2nd pairing LHD than it is a righty, and we're stronger there organizationally.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
They can have Mcilrath or Skjei their choice

They can have zucc or Miller (Miller hurts bad but won't stop me from making the deal) there choice

They have to take fast and send a 3rd rounder back in the deal

Those would be my terms and that's a hell of a deal for Winnipeg

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Took a gander at the Jets board, they seem to be under the impression that a vetted poster said something around Zucc to the Jets would happen soon now that the WCoH is over. Did I miss that somewhere?

Zucc and Skjei seems to be something a few of their fans would settle for, but honestly I think it's a bit of an overpayment.

It's def an overpayment but it's the deal I've wanted to make since trouba came up as serious option.

This makes us better we are deep in both spots and I fully believe in Marc Staal as a solid number 3 dman for us.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

someone was joking about it, but this weekend might be when it happens.

Something NEEDS to be done about Dan Girardi, and the answer is not shipping McIlrath out.

Skjei for Trouba is a deal I make for sure.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I think they may have been referring to a poster from this board in the training camp thread saying something along the lines of they are just waiting for the WC to finish to make the announcement. That same poster has put out a bunch of different noise since that post. The World Cup is over though and no announcement of a trade has been made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad