Offseason Thread XX: Hockey Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
cont from prior thread

I suspect Kevin Hayes is a name that would come up in negotiations. Jets don't need wingers, and like size from the forward position.

Enstrom hasn't been himself in 4 years. I'd stay far away from that one.

Winnipeg has a good team brewing, I think they'd want something more than picks/prospects as are being proposed on the trade board.

Hayes, McIlrath, Staal (retained $) for Trouba, Burmistrov.

concur on Hayes as an ask, but not for a year or 2 given the promise we just made Vesey

concur on Enstrom
concur on peg wanting something substantial, thus McD

we will need to move Stepan before his NMC kicks in so we can repurpose his 6.5

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Replacing Stepan won't be easy. NYR would have to find another 1b center on the trading block.

Zib slots into the 2 role nicely but recall what the book on him is from Sens fans. Very one-dimensional, very inconsistent. I wouldn't want to count on Zib-Hayes-Lindberg-Jooris down the middle.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
There's no reason to move Derek Stepan. He's our all-around top C and provides a cushion so Zibanejad and Hayes don't have to be tossed out to the wolves.

I really don't know what package we could put together for Trouba that couldn't easily be beaten by some other team. Also, how are we paying Trouba his next contract with only $1.4M in cap space? RangerBoy already brought up the expansion issues, but we still have Girardi and Staal's contracts on the cap, need a cushion for any performance bonuses from Buchnevich or Vesey, and need to save some space for re-signing Zibanejad next year.

I mean if Gorton can somehow make this all work out, then by all means, go get Trouba because he's a stud. The deck isn't really stacked in our favor though.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
This Trouba stuff has been moving on for a while. Trouba asked for a trade in May.

Larry Brooks wrote this on June 18

The Rangers are not getting Jacob Trouba out of Winnipeg unless Ryan McDonagh goes the other way. He’s not.

http://nypost.com/2016/06/18/penguins-gms-on-the-fly-roster-building-a-template-for-rangers/

McDonagh submitted a list 10 teams he is not willing to play for. His limited NTC began on July 1.

Sounds like Winnipeg asked the Rangers for McDonagh before the limited NTC kicked in.

I really like Trouba. I remember watching him his freshman year with Boo Nieves in 2012-13. Trouba was great. He hasn't been great in the NHL. Maybe it's the role and he wants to play major minutes in all situations. Trouba wants something like $7M per in an 8 year extension. Trouba would fit into what Gorton is looking to add and he made that point again when speaking to the media yesterday.

“I get it. We had a pretty good run. We didn’t win, obviously, what we wanted to do, but we had a good run. This group has done a lot together. They’ve won a lot of games and if you look at the amount of playoff games those guys have played, it’s pretty impressive, right? So I think we as an organization feel more comfortable with some of the guys in the organization than maybe some other people do. We have a lot of confidence in a lot of players here who’ve had success. If we can continue to add and bring young players along and keep pushing, and improve our team that way, that’s the most important thing right now.”

See more at: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2016/...n-turn-quickly/#sthash.tirOMo6d.fnG7yt0o.dpuf

The Rangers don't have a match if Winnipeg is looking for a comparable left handed D for Trouba.

:popcorn:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
At what point do we stop overpaying like drunken politicians?

Overpaid for MSL with two 1st round picks
Overpaid for 1.25 years of Yandle with 1st round pick and Duclair.
Overpaid for Etem and pick 41 with Hagelin and pick 59
Overpaid for 25 games of E Staal with two 2nd round picks and Saarela.

I completely agree about the overpaying...but in all fairness, you can't really say overpaying for a 22 year old (assuming a long term extension) is the same as overpaying for guys in the twilight of their careers.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Trouba would be a great get and I'd be okay with Zuccarello being the centerpiece of a deal that brings him back, but the Jets are looking for a different type of return and trading anyone else wouldn't make sense for the Rangers.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Of course, these guys are notoriously bad at this part of the job.

McDonagh for Trouba is nuts, unless the Jets are including some big adds.

Skjei + adds for Trouba makes a lot more sense. Would prefer to try to keep Sjkei obviously, but if he's the price of admission you have to do that deal, depending on the adds.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Larry Brooks is an Islander fan (most likely) troll masquerading as a journalist. He should go back to covering the Islanders as he did in the 1970's. He craves negative attention. When he is not seeking negative attention he often goes on these messageboards reads what people post and reposts it as his own 3-10 days later.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This Trouba stuff has been moving on for a while. Trouba asked for a trade in May.

Larry Brooks wrote this on June 18

http://nypost.com/2016/06/18/penguins-gms-on-the-fly-roster-building-a-template-for-rangers/

McDonagh submitted a list 10 teams he is not willing to play for. His limited NTC began on July 1.

Sounds like Winnipeg asked the Rangers for McDonagh before the limited NTC kicked in.

I really like Trouba. I remember watching him his freshman year with Boo Nieves in 2012-13. Trouba was great. He hasn't been great in the NHL. Maybe it's the role and he wants to play major minutes in all situations. Trouba wants something like $7M per in an 8 year extension. Trouba would fit into what Gorton is looking to add and he made that point again when speaking to the media yesterday.

See more at: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2016/...n-turn-quickly/#sthash.tirOMo6d.fnG7yt0o.dpuf

The Rangers don't have a match if Winnipeg is looking for a comparable left handed D for Trouba.

:popcorn:

I think what it would really require is Staal bouncing back to ***Top 2*** form, which is kind of a long shot--essentially you'd be asking Staal to take McDonagh's minutes, then putting Trouba next to Staal.

Unfortunately that leaves you with:

Staal-Trouba
Holden-Klein
Skjei-Girardi/McIlrath

however, this isn't so bad if (and this is tough because all of these things have to be met):

a) Staal proves he can take those top minutes
b) Skjei grows into a bonafide #2 LHD DURING this season
c) A top pairing RHPMD is acquired
d) McIlrath grows into a bonafide #2 RHD DURING this season
e) Girardi is bought out
f) Klein is traded

Long and short, you couldn't really do this for at least one full season--this would be offseason 2017 'pre-expansion draft' trades. Staal would have to prove he can take those minutes on a nightly basis for several more years (he is only 29, so it's possible).

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I've had my dislikes for Brooks here and there, but he's been pretty damn good recently, and I really like how he's been tuned in on the "new age" of hockey even though he's an older guy. He doesn't hold back what he wants to write either.

I'm also with RangerBoy in wanting Honka. Cheaper, more cost-controlled, and while he doesn't have the physicality of Honka, he's so damn smart positionally and with the puck and quick on his feet. There's a lot of offensive potential there.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I've had my dislikes for Brooks here and there, but he's been pretty damn good recently, and I really like how he's been tuned in on the "new age" of hockey even though he's an older guy. He doesn't hold back what he wants to write either.

He does the opposite. He seeks negative attention like a internet troll. He has for decades which is similar to Frank Isola (another tabloid writer). I remember when Brooks covered the Islanders and the Ranger players hated him in the 70's. Stepan and Boyle both went after him last season.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I'm also with RangerBoy in wanting Honka. Cheaper, more cost-controlled, and while he doesn't have the physicality of Honka, he's so damn smart positionally and with the puck and quick on his feet. There's a lot of offensive potential there.

Agree with this though in a perfect world, I'd like for them to find a way to get both.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Quickest offseason of all time.

Hopefully we won't get a repeat of the garbage that was last season. :silly::pullhair::tvhappy::baghead::skeptic:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He does the opposite. He seeks negative attention like a internet troll. He has for decades which is similar to Frank Isola (another tabloid writer). I remember when Brooks covered the Islanders and the Ranger players hated him in the 70's. Stepan and Boyle both went after him last season.

I've never experienced his earlier writings, so I cannot comment on that area. I'll take your word for it because you're always a good poster even if we disagree on certain topics. I'm specifically saying that Larry's grown on me because he wasn't writing with rose-colored glasses regarding last season when the other writers were. Brooks would call everyone out because, well, they all deserved it some point or another. Was it hyperbole? Yes. But I'll at least take that over Pat Leonard highlighting on one gaffe that Yandle made in a game, while ignoring how Girardi was a detriment to the team in the defensive zone, both at defending in the zone and getting the puck out of it. The whole Boyle issue (I believe) stems from Boyle having some personal issues that he didn't want mentioned, yet Brooks brought them up anyways, even if he never said specifically what the problems were. That's a line I understand should never be crossed. I don't like what Brooks did in that regard.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Quickest offseason of all time.

Hopefully we won't get a repeat of the garbage that was last season. :silly::pullhair::tvhappy::baghead::skeptic:

Oh man, I thought it dragged so much. Just another reason to despise the summer. I'm sitting here for the last couple of months watching highlights online and hearing about how I need to get a life. :laugh:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I've never experienced his earlier writings, so I cannot comment on that area. I'll take your word for it because you're always a good poster even if we disagree on certain topics. I'm specifically saying that Larry's grown on me because he wasn't writing with rose-colored glasses regarding last season when the other writers were. Brooks would call everyone out because, well, they all deserved it some point or another. Was it hyperbole? Yes. But I'll at least take that over Pat Leonard highlighting on one gaffe that Yandle made in a game, while ignoring how Girardi was a detriment to the team in the defensive zone, both at defending in the zone and getting the puck out of it. The whole Boyle issue (I believe) stems from Boyle having some personal issues that he didn't want mentioned, yet Brooks brought them up anyways, even if he never said specifically what the problems were. That's a line I understand should never be crossed. I don't like what Brooks did in that regard.

I understand your point of view.. Everyone knew that Boyle went after Brooks last season but most people did not know Stepan did as well. A journalist should not seek to become part of the story. Another Rangers beat writer even mentioned he almost got in a fight with Brooks in the past

Brooks does go after the team so I can understand why you like that if they are playing poorly. What I have a problem with is the many times he has hit way below the belt. I remember him calling Kevin Lowe a coward in his column. I thought to myself would he ever dare call Lowe a coward if it was just the two of them face to face alone in an elavator.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Said it last night, but I think another Western team makes a better offer than the Rangers will be able to for Trouba.

Edmonton, Colorado, Arizona, LA, Minnesota, and Vancouver should all be interested and can make better offers than Skjei +.

I don't see how the Rangers get Honka either. The Stars lost Demers and Goligoski. They replaced them with Hamhuis who is coming off two injury plagued seasons. Oduya isn't getting any younger. Klingberg and Johns are very good top 4 options. There's a lot of unknowns in their defensive corps. I think Dallas is going to be counting on Honka in a big way this coming season. What would they even want? McDonagh is off limits. I would do Skjei for Honka straight up, but that is a lateral move. Does Dallas want Staal? Doubt Marc would waive to Texas. The Rangers would have to take a cap dump back. Hemsky for a season. Staal and Fast for Honka and Hemsky?

I still think Anaheim is the dance partner here. So many young defensemen, so few spots for them. Stoner, Bieksa, Despres, Lindholm (who hasn't signed yet, btw), Fowler, and Vatanen are all ahead of Montour and Theodore. Don't forget Josh Manson either, who's another Anton Stralman in the making.

Make the deal for Montour.

Fast and Tambellini or Nieves for Montour

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Never gave much credence to Brooksie's speculation. He's our only beat writer with real sources, sure. Speculate all you want Brooksie.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
There's no way on earth McDonagh for trouba is an equal deal for the Rangers not even close. Skjei is the comparable player.

If Rangers could make a deal around trouba/Skjei that makes sense for both sides. Rangers heavy on lefty side with graves coming soon and holden trade. Winnipeg needs young inexpensive lefty D

I know they have wingers but a lot of them stink. We could add something there.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Oh man, I thought it dragged so much. Just another reason to despise the summer. I'm sitting here for the last couple of months watching highlights online and hearing about how I need to get a life. :laugh:

Haha.

I feel kinda bad for saying this, but I haven't really cared that much outside of that first week in July. Guess I needed a break away from all things NYR this time around and it really speeded things up.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You don't trade a player like trouba to a inter conference rival. You send him as far away as possible. Jets won't deal him in the West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad