Offseason Thread XX: Hockey Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Boo Nieves was very good playing in the middle with Vesey at Traverse City. He suffered an upper body injury in the first period of the last game. He said it was not serious but he hasn't skated since and it's been 9 days. Big. Strong. Can skate like the wind. We still don't know if Hayes is better suited on the wing or at center. Boo can play left wing too. The Rangers have internal options to replace JT.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Hayes is definitely a center. Not a wing, he may have played it in college but he's best suited for center

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Replacing Zucc with Stafford would give the Jets two amazing scoring lines (and he provides some insulation so their younger guys can get sheltered). Stafford has one year left and only makes $150K less than Zucc on his AAV.

I'd have to think that Zucc goes from "insulation" to "blocking" rather quickly. Ehlers, Connor, and Laine are all fantastic young players and I'd be stunned if they weren't all top-six guys by next season. With Wheeler in the mix, where does that leave Zucc?

If they take a forward, I'd bet Miller would be the one to go. He can at least play pivot even if he hasn't in a while.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'd have to think that Zucc goes from "insulation" to "blocking" rather quickly. Ehlers, Connor, and Laine are all fantastic young players and I'd be stunned if they weren't all top-six guys by next season. With Wheeler in the mix, where does that leave Zucc?

If they take a forward, I'd bet Miller would be the one to go. He can at least play pivot even if he hasn't in a while.

This.

I forget who said it, but Zucc to Anaheim makes more sense.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Eh, Stafford is gone after this year. Little is a UFA the year after that along with Matthias who is more of a 3rd/4th liner.

This year's wingers
Wheeler
MZA
Laine
Ehlers/Connor

Stafford
Ehlers/Connor

Next year
Wheeler
MZA
Laine
Ehlers/Connor

Ehlers/Connor
Armia/Lemieux/whoever

I don't think he blocks anyone and at $5m he isn't an anchor. Multiple teams have proven that you need depth scoring to win. (3) sets of scoring wingers is a good thing

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This.

I forget who said it, but Zucc to Anaheim makes more sense.

Me ! :)

I can see it like this:

TO ANA: One of Zuccarello (no retention)/Nash (50% retained)
TO NYR: One of Theodore/Montour
- This is a straight up trade. No picks involved. Anaheim deals from a strength to fill a weakness while avoiding any impact on current roster players.

Then NYR makes another trade:

TO WPG: Miller and one of Skjei/Montour/Theodore (whoever is received from ANA)
TO NYR: Trouba + mid round pick/middling prospect
This satisfies both WPG's demands and the NYR's Needs

This actually strengthens all teams weaknesses:
- ANA gets a top line winger
- NYR gets a Top Teir (aka high cost, high reward) RHD
- WPG gets a budget friendly (aka low cost, middle-to-high reward) Top RHD

If Anaheim wants to put Fowler into one of these proposals for additional pieces, or if the Rangers can orchestrate another piece coming to them from WPG in return for Fowler going directly to WPG, that would open additional options.

There have been several reports that the Rangers have wanted to deal with a west coast team--one of LA, SJS, or ANA. I think Anaheim fits best, and Gorton has a rapport with ANA already because of the Hagelin/Etem exchange

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Eh, Stafford is gone after this year. Little is a UFA the year after that along with Matthias who is more of a 3rd/4th liner.

This year's wingers
Wheeler
MZA
Laine
Ehlers/Connor

Stafford
Ehlers/Connor

Next year
Wheeler
MZA
Laine
Ehlers/Connor

Ehlers/Connor
Armia/Lemieux/whoever

I don't think he blocks anyone and at $5m he isn't an anchor. Multiple teams have proven that you need depth scoring to win. (3) sets of scoring wingers is a good thing

3 sets of scoring wingers is fine, but not when you have little depth at just about every other position. I mean, trading one of your best young assets for a redundant piece? It makes no sense. They have to fill some sort of need when they trade Trouba.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Me ! :)

I can see it like this:

TO ANA: One of Zuccarello (no retention)/Nash (50% retained)
TO NYR: One of Theodore/Montour
- This is a straight up trade. No picks involved. Anaheim deals from a strength to fill a weakness while avoiding any impact on current roster players.

Then NYR makes another trade:

TO WPG: Miller and one of Skjei/Montour/Theodore (whoever is received from ANA)
TO NYR: Trouba + mid round pick/middling prospect
This satisfies both WPG's demands and the NYR's Needs

This actually strengthens all teams weaknesses:
- ANA gets a top line winger
- NYR gets a Top Teir (aka high cost, high reward) RHD
- WPG gets a budget friendly (aka low cost, middle-to-high reward) Top RHD

If Anaheim wants to put Fowler into one of these proposals for additional pieces, or if the Rangers can orchestrate another piece coming to them from WPG in return for Fowler going directly to WPG, that would open additional options.

Wasn't Winnipeg looking more for a LHD? They have Byfuglien and Myers on the right.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
3 sets of scoring wingers is fine, but not when you have little depth at just about every other position. I mean, trading one of your best young assets for a redundant piece? It makes no sense. They have to fill some sort of need when they trade Trouba.

Why not then trade from a position of strength to fill the position of weakness later when needed?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Didn't Connor play center on the CCM line, or did Compher? I could've sworn Connor played C at some point, but maybe that was in the USHL.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Why not then trade from a position of strength to fill the position of weakness later when needed?

Because they can trade to fill that weakness now, instead of further bolstering an organizational strength at the expense of their top trade asset. Not to single you out, I just feel like this Zucc to Winnipeg angle is all about helping Rangers fans rationalize a trade, instead of realizing what Winnipeg needs.

Didn't Connor play center on the CCM line, or did Compher? I could've sworn Connor played C at some point, but maybe that was in the USHL.

I think he has played C, but I'm pretty sure he's projected as a winger in the NHL.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Trouba posts were getting me amped up. Like Vesey sweepsteaks all over again.

Some thoughts....

Zibanejad is a RFA next season. What is that next contract going to look like?
Trouba is looking to get paid. RFA as of right now. If he comes here they still need to sign him.

Can the Rangers even make this work financially IF...IF #61 is still with the club next season?

If Zucc to WPG said a one for one deal correct? Gives the Rangers $4.5 to play with.

If JT and Skjei to WPG it clears out $3,675,000 in Cap space

$11.2 Million locked up in 2 Dmen. 2 Dmen that aren't 1, and 2's anymore. 2 Dmen that may not be 3, 4's anymore either! I give both credit where its due. They put in their time. Ate a lot of pucks. Fought hard for this club...But Damn!

The business side of Hockey has never been more important! Put your money into the kids!

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Is she hot?

Yes!

44d337_47983cf9f18749a08519984bf2b9d421~mv2.png

44d337_4ccd883ae7524a76909d27ef4dbc8c9c~mv2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events