Offseason Thread XX: Hockey Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I hope she brings some refreshing questions to the conversations and maybe even never ask players about how this 3-2 comeback win speaks to the resiliency of the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
giphy.gif

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I like what Cerny is doing as a Freelance guy much more than what he did on BSU. What he did on BSU...this girl is more than capable of doing. For instance, I remember when he had a live online chat/interview with Skjei and people were typing questions that Jim would relay to Skjei. I asked Jim to ask Skjei if he was comfortable playing the Right Side. My question never got through to Skjei. But, questions like "What is your favorite color" and "What is you favorite TV show" made it through. Wasn't the first time Jim ignored my questions in favor of more trivial stuff. I know Jim liked to keep it "light", but some of the stuff was just plain goofy. Real hockey stuff should have received more attention.

Good luck to the new girl, though she shouldn't need it. Jim set the bar low.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I like what Cerny is doing as a Freelance guy much more than what he did on BSU. What he did on BSU...this girl is more than capable of doing. For instance, I remember when he had a live online chat/interview with Skjei and people were typing questions that Jim would relay to Skjei. I asked Jim to ask Skjei if he was comfortable playing the Right Side. My question never got through to Skjei. But, questions like "What is your favorite color" and "What is you favorite TV show" made it through. Wasn't the first time Jim ignored my questions in favor of more trivial stuff. I know Jim liked to keep it "light", but some of the stuff was just plain goofy. Real hockey stuff should have received more attention.

I'd say the controlled narrative of a media conglomerate set the bar.

Jim's a pro's pro. I'd step up for that guy any day of the week.

He's ignored my questions too.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011

I don't think NYR hired this girl to ask the tough hockey questions. Just a feeling. I'd reckon they're going to gearing toward a revamped social media presence. Not only will she become a better face for NYR but her social media skills is presumably top notch if she got the job. If anything, there are going to be more color, music, food, which side of the bed do you sleep on questions.

This is just speculation from me, but if I had to guess, Brady Skjei sleeps on the left side.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I'd say the controlled narrative of a media conglomerate set the bar.

Jim's a pro's pro. I'd step up for that guy any day of the week.

He's ignored my questions too.

I will say that Jim's work as a freelancer has been fantastic. It's almost as though he reads these boards. He's up to date with all of the prospects and knows who is in line to compete for spots...all the way down to guys like Jensen. Definitely worth keeping on twitter.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Cerny's job wasn't that of a hockey journalist. His job description was quite specific and I'd argue strict if he started veering away from delivering the content the non-hockey management wanted. This job is more of a spokesperson job rather than a journalist's job though it certainly requires journalism skills.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I don't think NYR hired this girl to ask the tough hockey questions. Just a feeling. I'd reckon they're going to gearing toward a revamped social media presence. Not only will she become a better face for NYR but her social media skills is presumably top notch if she got the job. If anything, there are going to be more color, music, food, which side of the bed do you sleep on questions.

This is just speculation from me, but if I had to guess, Brady Skjei sleeps on the left side.

Yep, she shouldn't have a problem doing what Jim did. And as everyone has been saying, she's easy on the eyes. I have no problem with it. On top of that, Jim is now a real reporter covering the Rangers in a much better fashion...so it's a "win win" for Rangers fans.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If we trade for Trouba, sign him to an 8-year deal with a NMC in years 4 through 8, does that mean bern will come up with proposals 2 years from now to trade him before his NMC kicks in?

don't tempt me
of course, if we were not smart enough to avoid NMC to begin with:laugh:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Stafford-Little-Laine
Perreault-Burmistrov-Armia
Matthias-Lowry-Thorburn

If they acquire Zuccarello, he is a clear upgrade over Stafford for their top-6

Yes.
OTOH, If we used our financial muscle and ate 2.5 on Stepan, making him 4.0, that would be so desirable that we could force 'peg to make it a package deal that includes Staal and his NMC.

Stepan down to 4, Staal ditto, and Raanta at 1m x2 = 9 in cap hit
vs
Trouba rfa = 0, but they would have to expect to go ballpark 6 just for him on long term deal
Burmistrov expiring at 1.55
and Pavelec, expiring if mem serves like 3.9 something

The team which needs Zuccarello is Anaheim. They have no wingers outside of Perry. They have centers playing the wing.

... and if we did move Stepan like I said, we could do Zuc/+ Kovacs/Tambo
for
Theodore + small cap dump
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:yo:

ill have fun with this for once:

ANA: Zucc, Fast, Burmistrov, NYR 2nd '17, WPG 3rd '18

WPG: Lindholm, Graves, Lindberg, NYR 3rd '18

NYR: Trouba, Montour

very good effort.
Expect Graves to be special. would not want to include

1. Keep holding your breath, I pretty much scan your novels for player names these days. Allows me to maintain sanity. I'm not going to offer a correction for that. You make flipping undesirable assets sound like it's cake. Pavs won 13 games last year with a .904 save percentage. I don't see teams knocking down our door to acquire him after he turns 30, especially if he performs even worse (likely) behind our porous defense.

Listen, I'm not on some megalomaniac trip demanding you bend buckle and break here.
All I want is for you to admit that Pavs is irrelevant, because I said we would move him as soon as feasible.
Setting aside whether or not our goalie guru can work some magic and up his value, every so often, a team gets injury slammed and needs a stop gap.
Another scenario could be we send him to Detroit for Howard at half price PLUS something for our trouble. Wings are desperate to cut down for cap. Maybe for our trouble we get a prospect, and swap a 3rd into a 2nd. Something like dat.

2. I've never advocated for moving Staal (I think he is a much more likely bounce back candidate than Girardi), so you make zero sense here.
But we have mostly come to the conclusion that Staal must be moved if at all possible esp since Girardi will be much more difficult to move.

3. Or we just keep our home grown 1B/2A center who is on a fair contract. There is no reason to move Stepan, only your irrational dislike of him.
There is plenty of reason to move him.
It is not irrational dislike, attacking me for disagreeing with you will not make it so.
He and repurposing of his salary is worth more to us than if we kept him. Esp now that we have some nice Cs and as early as next year....

Boo Nieves was very good playing in the middle with Vesey at Traverse City. He suffered an upper body injury in the first period of the last game. He said it was not serious but he hasn't skated since and it's been 9 days. Big. Strong. Can skate like the wind. We still don't know if Hayes is better suited on the wing or at center. Boo can play left wing too. The Rangers have internal options to replace JT.

... w/Boo-meister here next yr!

But RB, gotta add our young ones, that's our core, not the vets.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I will say that Jim's work as a freelancer has been fantastic. It's almost as though he reads these boards. He's up to date with all of the prospects and knows who is in line to compete for spots...all the way down to guys like Jensen. Definitely worth keeping on twitter.

They do... they do read what their readers say. Different from beat writers from back in the day.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Guys again no one should be surprised that clendening looked dominant against ahlers. He's an AHL all star tweener type. Penciling him into your top 4 is insane lol.

Matt Bodie looked great too meanwhile has the the body of a 14 year old girl. He's not going to be an nhler EVER.

Clendening at his best is our number 8 dman at his absolute best.

I don't know, Bodie may have a shot IMO.

He wasn't trading chances.... the guy can really skate and he's a smart player. High hockey IQ on him.

He's a systemic fit imo.... and the way the game is trending....

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He's gonna have to stand out a lot, Rangers have a lot of options on the left side

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Been thinking about the three way recently.

Framework would be:

Miller to ANA
Fowler to WPG
Trouba to NYR

Fill in cap related moves Rangers taking on a few one ways, give up some ELCs, decent prospects, another NHLer, and maybe getting another NHL player.

Three teams fill needs.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
You should bold the "framework should be" part before you get roasted for Basically Miller for Trouba

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Been thinking about the three way recently.

Framework would be:

Miller to ANA
Fowler to WPG
Trouba to NYR

Fill in cap related moves Rangers taking on a few one ways, give up some ELCs, decent prospects, another NHLer, and maybe getting another NHL player.

Three teams fill needs.

If Fowler had more than 2 years left maybe.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn

But he's been working hard on the right side!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You would add a + to get Fowler? I wouldn't. I would an expect a + coming this way. Fowler could be the most overrated defenseman in the league. He is borderline bottom pairing material.

Fowler is a middle pairing defenseman at best. I think he is a 3rd pairing defenseman. Trouba actually has the potential to be a top pairing defenseman. To be frank, Cam Fowler sucks. I am rarely, if ever that blunt about a player. Trouba doesn't. Trouba > Fowler by a fair amount.

concur

Stafford definitely leaves something to be desired in the long term or even this year if/when some of our prospects get up to full speed. But I don't think you'll find too many Jets that are that keen on adding another experienced winger like Zucc as a main piece in the Trouba trade either.

We have so many good winger prospects right now, its hard to imagine needing any more help there. Defense -- that's a totally different story. Even a good C prospect would be far more preferable to another winger.

For me it would have to be Miller (because he's a C) & Skjei. Not sure that is enough to make the deal happen from our end (might need one more defensive prospect thrown in & then it becomes a quality for quantity deal which probably still favors you guys).

I doubt it. Ehlers has elite talent that we don't need to protect in expansion & we already have too many D-men to protect in the expansion draft

so, a C, a C, a C
that would be a reduced Stepan!

That's pretty much exactly what you do here. That and come up with ridiculous and embarrassing scenarios to trade Stepan.

your ad hominum attacks do not do you credit
haters gonna hate
you are simply adamant about not trading Stepan, and you have a right to that opinion.
before year's end, he's gone, book it

and my point was correct.
I simply wanted an acknowledgment that as I said, we would be dumping the G picked up from Jets

I don't mind criticism, it obviously comes with the territory for all of us
but let's be honest while we are at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad