Offseason Thread XX: Hockey Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Jets need a top 4 LHD not a third pairing RHD. A 29 year old winger can't be the main piece for a 22 year old top 2 RHD.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think they may have been referring to a poster from this board in the training camp thread saying something along the lines of they are just waiting for the WC to finish to make the announcement. That same poster has put out a bunch of different noise since that post. The World Cup is over though and no announcement of a trade has been made.

Ah. Gotcha.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Jets need a top 4 LHD not a third pairing RHD. A 29 year old winger can't be the main piece for a 22 year old top 2 RHD.

It depends on when they want to contend.

In my opinion, they are past the stage where they are transitioning to a championship team--their core is all around 27-33 years old, and will begin declining in 1-2 seasons, so they need to go for it now. Unfortunately that's how the NHL works today. If you want contending, ready to win talent, you have to pay for it with upcoming future talent (picks, prospects, young players).

This is why some sort of combination trade where the Rangers acquire Fowler + for Zuccarello/Nash @50%, and then send Fowler and Miller to the Jets for Trouba makes the most sense for all teams involved.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Where has he been a top-2 RHD? Isn't it a bit presumptuous to say that about a player who has played 3rd pairing for your team? I realize is upside is probably that, but if he was that, shouldn't he be playing that role?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i want no part of yak.

and he's russian....

that ship has sailed and right now, i like our forwards as is.

if the deal is zuc and brady skjei for trouba thats fine with me but then i dont see where mcilrath fits in at all. girardi is still here and if he's here, he's gonna be out there slothing around and creating scoring chances- for the other team.

that 3rd pair is troubling but i cant see girardi sitting in favor of mcilrath and even if, that holden/mcilrath pair still scares me.

a defense like this is good but why waste mcilrath ?

mcd/trouba
staal/klein
holden/girardi
mcilrath

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I will say that Jim's work as a freelancer has been fantastic. It's almost as though he reads these boards. He's up to date with all of the prospects and knows who is in line to compete for spots...all the way down to guys like Jensen. Definitely worth keeping on twitter.

Jim C. is a great sport journalist though - and I really enjoyed his articles and insight of Rangers morning training sessions and updates in the past years.
I wish him good luck.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Also, as odd as it may seem, I'd feel better moving Skjei ahead of McIlrath. Finally seems to be coming into his own and he's the one RHD in our pipeline that I could actually see being a 2nd pair defender. It's also much easier to find a 2nd pairing LHD than it is a righty, and we're stronger there organizationally.
Me too. I'd say a right side of:

Trouba
McIlrath
PM RHD

would be excellent. Lefties are in an abundance. I'm ok with a 3rd pair PM RHD like Clendening for now. Wonder twin G should have been bought out. I wasn't in favor over the summer but McI shouldn't be lost because of Girardi's bad contract.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Dallas may or may not need a depth forward, can we get back to wanting Honka now?

Perhaps Dallas will not require the impossibly specific, age, position, potential, controllable years left, return that the Jets want for Trouba.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Where has he been a top-2 RHD? Isn't it a bit presumptuous to say that about a player who has played 3rd pairing for your team? I realize is upside is probably that, but if he was that, shouldn't he be playing that role?

All of the discussion on this thread is about getting Trouba to be your top RHD. In Winnipeg he has playes the third most minutes and finished the season on the left side on the top pair with Byfuglien.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Fast and Klein for Honka and a 2nd/3rd
Zucc and Skjei for Trouba

Play G until Honka is ready in a few months and our d can be:

McDonagh-Trouba
Staal-McIlrath
Holden-Honka

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Hey now. No reason to be realistic around these parts. Trade Stepan before that NMC kicks in. Do it to other players too. Then sit and wonder why no one wants to sign/play here anymore.

You never know what is true with the media but reportedly Stepan was in trade talks earlier this offseason. Would trading a guy before a NTC kicks in be any worse than trading a guy that took sweetheart deals to stay with their team?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
in order to pry trouba away from gm chevy, a top line player will need to go the other way. thats a given.

i agree that zuccarello would be that guy. front line player with a good contract. his buddy was moved to the sens and he's the next in line.

if you can turn brassard, zuc and mcilrath into zibanejad and trouba. OMG. done deal. period.

i dont believe nash is going anywhere in that deal though. i wish but not happening. and i would not want to see jt miller moved. he's a kid who is ready to breakout imo and i exactly the type of player gorton is looking to add. keep him.

as unpopular as it may be, i still think the offer needs to be zuc and dylan mcilrath. makes too much sense.

zuc steps right in to that top 9 lineup and mcilrath replaces trouba in that 3RD spot and gives them a western canada homegrown kid who can develop behind big buf and tyler myers.

gm chevy gets his top line player and a high upside youngster to develop. we open up a top 9 forward spot for brandon pirri and settle on a defense that looks like this.

mcd/trouba
staal/klein
skjei/girardi
holden

zuc & mcilrath for jake trouba. makes too much sense.

thats your deal folks.

Given the organizational depth at LD and Winnipeg desire for a LD, I think Skjei is the more obvious choice.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Me too. I'd say a right side of:

Trouba
McIlrath
PM RHD

would be excellent. Lefties are in an abundance. I'm ok with a 3rd pair PM RHD like Clendening for now. Wonder twin G should have been bought out. I wasn't in favor over the summer but McI shouldn't be lost because of Girardi's bad contract.

While I agree, there is nothing stopping anyone from benching Girardi all year. His NMC will prove useless when he finds that nobody wants to play him.

I am OK with them not buying him out this year because:

a) I don't expect the rangers to be true cup contenders this season
b) one more year of Dan on the books shaves off 2 years off the compliance buyout

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Took a gander at the Jets board, they seem to be under the impression that a vetted poster said something around Zucc to the Jets would happen soon now that the WCoH is over. Did I miss that somewhere?

Zucc and Skjei seems to be something a few of their fans would settle for, but honestly I think it's a bit of an overpayment.

Also, as odd as it may seem, I'd feel better moving Skjei ahead of McIlrath. Finally seems to be coming into his own and he's the one RHD in our pipeline that I could actually see being a 2nd pair defender. It's also much easier to find a 2nd pairing LHD than it is a righty, and we're stronger there organizationally.

Not attacking you at all Trxjw - but want to clarify that I have not said anything about hearing that Zucc was being traded for Trouba. Nowhere. I did say the following:

Just heard from a good source (and another one too) that Trouba definitely will be dealt. He demands a much clearer role RIGHT NOW and Jets have two guys that are righties that are ahead of him on the depth chart due to certain circumstances. The $7 M number is bogus. He does want 7 years though. 3 teams in the mix. Rangers are one of them.
I am sorry for not being able to be too specific here. A promise is a promise. I can say that this is likely going to happen soon, at least according to my better source.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Not attacking you at all Trxjw - but want to clarify that I have not said anything about hearing that Zucc was being traded for Trouba. Nowhere. I did say the following:

It was not you. The post is in the training camp thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad