Speculation: Offseason Thread XVIII - Soon September & a new NYR member?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Just an idea so don't kill me:

Would you trade Girardi at years end for J Staal? Carolina gets the cheaper total $$ buyout. The Rangers get a competent 2C with size for a few years and then buy him out when necessary.

I wonder if Carolina would be interested so that they don't need to protect him in the Expansion Draft? They have lots of good young players I am sure they would rather protect although I am not sure of their exact situation. Girardi buyout saves them a ton of actual $$ and they aren't a cap team anyways.

Just an outside of the box thought

i like this a lot actually.

Depends on whether or not Carolina would want to move on from Jordan. If they plan on buying him out because he is too expensive then it would make sense to simply move Girardi (assuming carolina takes the buyout), take on Jordan's contract, then move Nash and Klein for a better RHD.

Setting the terrible value (for the Canes) aside for a moment, there are really no financial or expansion draft reasons for the Canes to do this. They basically needed to take on Bickell just to get to the cap floor this year so Jordan's contract isn't a problem, nor should it be for the term of it. From an expansion draft side, they are also in good shape because Pesce, Slavin, Hanifin, and Aho are all exempt so they can protect Staal, Skinner, Rask, Lindholm, Teravainen, and 2 more of Stempniak, Nestrasil, DiGuisseppe, and McGinn at Forward. Potentially losing 1 of those guys isn't a huge deal. On D, they only "have" to protect Faulk, Murphy and Carrick, although they'll likely need to expose Murphy or extend Hainsey or Tennyson to meet the NHL's requirement of exposing an experienced D signed for next year.

Canes have no desire to move on from Jordan right now and both Francis and Jordan allude to that in the article. He, understandably, misses playing with his brother but he's still an important piece to the Canes and realizes it's a business.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I think Fast, Grabner and Jooris all have places on the team. I think it'll be a battle between Gerbe and Pirri for the final spot. Do we want to go with more speed and two way play or a pure sniper? Outside chance for Hrivik or Jensen. I guess you could say Glass also has an outside chance if AV has his say.

It depends on camp but I'd bet gerbe , Jensen , glass , hrvik all get waived and clear

It's good depth . Grabner , Jooris, Fast 4th line . Lindberg at C more when healthy . Good in faceoffs

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Latest Mike Russo podcast. He spoke with Chuck Fletcher. Russo doesn't see the Wild making a trade until the deadline. He feels the Wild will not trade a D. Suter has a NMC. Brodin. Dumba.Scandella. Spurgeon. They will protect 3 D. Chances are the Wild will lose a D. Even if they move a D,they could lose another D in expansion. They will have 4 if they lose one to Vegas with no trade. Russo said the Wild could offer a 3rd to not take a D and they would claim another player off the Wild.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Just an idea so don't kill me:

Would you trade Girardi at years end for J Staal? Carolina gets the cheaper total $$ buyout. The Rangers get a competent 2C with size for a few years and then buy him out when necessary.

Buying out Girardi next year would leave $2.611m in dead space, and then (2) years of $3.611m. If the Rangers trade for Staal in lieu of buying out Girardi and having the dead cap space, they would essentially be paying J Staal the difference in $$ for those years as compared to his cap hit.

For example:
In year 1 they would be paying J Staal $6.0m - $2.611m = $3.389m
In year 2 they would be paying J Staal $6.0m - $3.611m = $2.389m
In year 3 they would be paying J Staal $6.0m - $3.611m = $2.389m

At which point Girardi's buyout drops to a smaller $1.11m however you could buy out Staal or retain and trade him at that time. Only a $2m cap hit for 6 years at that point.

I wonder if Carolina would be interested so that they don't need to protect him in the Expansion Draft? They have lots of good young players I am sure they would rather protect although I am not sure of their exact situation. Girardi buyout saves them a ton of actual $$ and they aren't a cap team anyways.

Just an outside of the box thought
Interesting, and creativity I always welcome, which should be encouraged.
However,,,,

i like this a lot actually.

Depends on whether or not Carolina would want to move on from Jordan. If they plan on buying him out because he is too expensive then it would make sense to simply move Girardi (assuming carolina takes the buyout), take on Jordan's contract, then move Nash and Klein for a better RHD.

remember Girardi is NMC.
He waives, but still MUST protect in exp draft, thus...

Setting the terrible value (for the Canes) aside for a moment, there are really no financial or expansion draft reasons for the Canes to do this. They basically needed to take on Bickell just to get to the cap floor this year so Jordan's contract isn't a problem, nor should it be for the term of it. From an expansion draft side, they are also in good shape because Pesce, Slavin, Hanifin, and Aho are all exempt so they can protect Staal, Skinner, Rask, Lindholm, Teravainen, and 2 more of Stempniak, Nestrasil, DiGuisseppe, and McGinn at Forward. Potentially losing 1 of those guys isn't a huge deal. On D, they only "have" to protect Faulk, Murphy and Carrick, although they'll likely need to expose Murphy or extend Hainsey or Tennyson to meet the NHL's requirement of exposing an experienced D signed for next year.

Canes have no desire to move on from Jordan right now and both Francis and Jordan allude to that in the article. He, understandably, misses playing with his brother but he's still an important piece to the Canes and realizes it's a business.

... also not seeing Canes psyched for it.

I could see Canes making a bigger deal with Stepan that might better facilitate J Staal but I am not sure they want G's NMC, which would obviously have to be included from our perspective.

we are better off maxing our assets, and moving Stepan for RD help.
That might be to Boston for McAvoy +, to Minny for Dumba +, or Car for Pesce + Murphy +.

He's a franchise D IMO. They need to give him a Stralman type of LD. "Mini" Hedman type of player.

I think he can get 50-60 points. But unless his team wins, he'll never garner norris praise.

No way Buffalo trades him.

They'd move Bogosian before him.

yes on the bold

this is re Ristolainen
I agree, except that if the comparable Trouba could be had for an acceptable piece, that would empower Sabes to max return on Risto's rights on the market.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Did anyone see Spector's Hockey a few days ago??

I could swear there was a blurb in there about Toronto being interested in Girardi. No names mentioned just interest. Anybody see that? Possibly quoting the Hockey Writers?

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I could swear there was a blurb in there about Toronto being interested in Girardi. No names mentioned just interest. Anybody see that? Possibly quoting the Hockey Writers?

I saw that. I believe it was the Hockey Press being quoted by Spectors rumors, on what he described as a slow day. The description, I think, was something like 'and Toronto did have interest in Girardi in the past', or words to that effect.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Idk if anyone watched the NA vs Europe game but Zuccarrello looked absolutely incredible, my dude is ready for this season. I dont understand why we would trade him right now, just because nobody wants Nash's contract?

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Idk if anyone watched the NA vs Europe game but Zuccarrello looked absolutely incredible, my dude is ready for this season. I dont understand why we would trade him right now, just because nobody wants Nash's contract?

I think "incredible" is a pretty strong word. Sure, Zuuc came to play...but he did nothing extraordinary in the game. Offensively I can only think of one decent scoring chance...and he put it off the goalie's chest. Defensively, he did prevent a McDavid scoring chance with a nice backcheck. Kind of stretching it to say that anyone on Europe looked incredible, though.

I agree that Zuuc should not be traded, though.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I saw that. I believe it was the Hockey Press being quoted by Spectors rumors, on what he described as a slow day. The description, I think, was something like 'and Toronto did have interest in Girardi in the past', or words to that effect.

Yeah the hockey press says the Rangers are trying to move Nash, Girardi, and Staal and that the Leafs have been interested in Girardi before

but yeah nothing really exciting

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Parayko a nice young asset, but I think people here seriously undervalue the role that players like Zucc and Miller have for that matter on style, tempo, and just plain heart in our game

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Parayko is a stud and the Blues defense will look like **** without him and Shattenkirk. They already have a guy who provides much of what Zuccarello does in Fabbri. God could you imagine Colton Parayko and Dylan McIlrath down the right side? :laugh:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Parayko was a stud by pretty much every metric and the eye test last season. He didn't always have the toughest competition, but he wasn't overmatched when he had to play against top line players. He's only 23 and is built like a truck. I think he'll easily develop into a top-pairing defenseman/1B option to Pietrangelo.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
According to you and ONLY you.
Maxing "our" assets to me means keeping the teams 1C through his prime, not decimating our center depth.

disagree
ESPECIALLY given the expansion draft, as well as for other reasons to catch up on the stupidity of squandered drafts, the best move is
move McD + for Trouba +, netting us an upgrade n 2 pick swaps also
then flip Trouba for Reinhart, who is like 20 and ELC

you then have options on Stepan who will fetch high return, be it LD or RD, depending on the package, I'm leaning RD.

This is a problem some of the board has with me and I with them.
we have a fundamental difference of what needs to be done
the win now crowd has not learned, and wants instant gratification
I'm glad we did the zib trade, but that is the exception, not the rule
you don't usually get one neat comprehensive solution available, ie
move a C for one as good as or better with more upside, plus get a pick for the privilege

I don't want to be rude, but it is like the adage of those who like the chicken or the steak but are unwilling to butcher the animal to get the meal.

It is not typical to be able to turn McD into Reinhart, so you have to take advantage when that opportunity does present itself.

consider, pls
everybody wants Schiefle
the time to deal for Scheifle is not now, but earlier when MAYBE there was a possibility of his availability

want Reinhart? same thing

there is a predisposition by many that we don't trade a guy like McD now, cause he's our best defenseman, no we should wait at least 2 years before even thinking about it

assuming no complication due to injury, it is still not the same opportunity for return

we need to improve across the board.
at 1C - assuming zib does not emerge
Stepan is what he is, he has plateaued at about 20th OA, no more, no less
instead of trying to force to win now with him,
we should build with a Reinhart type to win soon
with a better pivot soon enough

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
its not

disagree
ESPECIALLY given the expansion draft, as well as for other reasons to catch up on the stupidity of squandered drafts, the best move is
move McD + for Trouba +, netting us an upgrade n 2 pick swaps also
then flip Trouba for Reinhart, who is like 20 and ELC

you then have options on Stepan who will fetch high return, be it LD or RD, depending on the package, I'm leaning RD.

This is a problem some of the board has with me and I with them.
we have a fundamental difference of what needs to be done
the win now crowd has not learned, and wants instant gratification
I'm glad we did the zib trade, but that is the exception, not the rule
you don't usually get one neat comprehensive solution available, ie
move a C for one as good as or better with more upside, plus get a pick for the privilege

I don't want to be rude, but it is like the adage of those who like the chicken or the steak but are unwilling to butcher the animal to get the meal.

It is not typical to be able to turn McD into Reinhart, so you have to take advantage when that opportunity does present itself.

consider, pls
everybody wants Schiefle
the time to deal for Scheifle is not now, but earlier when MAYBE there was a possibility of his availability

want Reinhart? same thing

there is a predisposition by many that we don't trade a guy like McD now, cause he's our best defenseman, no we should wait at least 2 years before even thinking about it

assuming no complication due to injury, it is still not the same opportunity for return

we need to improve across the board.
at 1C - assuming zib does not emerge
Stepan is what he is, he has plateaued at about 20th OA, no more, no less
instead of trying to force to win now with him,
we should build with a Reinhart type to win soon
with a better pivot soon enough

this scenario is not only not realistic, it's plain dumb and ridiculous. NYR gets trouba to flip him for reinhart ?? and schiefle?? these players are not getting traded and the rangers would never EVER make a move for a stud d-man to flip him for another center and have steps zibby hayes jooris lindberg and reinhart at one time. the EA controller has corrupted your brain. not to mention you are squandering what 3-4 years before reinhart develops into a stud?? let's just squander all those good years lundqvist has left cause goalies like him come around every draft.. NYR is in a retool with a you injection. the turnaround on this team is 1-2 years max. Their top 9 is either protected or exempt from the EXP draft. this is the team going forward..Expect some changes on the defensive side this season most likely and i fully expect a trade for shatty or he will be signed as a UFA. this team is one or 2 players away from a serious threat and you want to decimate it. Stephan is a lot better then you are giving him credit for. Im just happy i didn't see brett pesce's name i guess that's an improvement

Last edited:

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Berns scenarios always leave the Rangers in a much worse situation where if every prospect the Rangers trade for pans out despite being thrust into situations they are in no way ready for then the Rangers would get back to about the same level as the original pre-bern lineup.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Berns scenarios always leave the Rangers in a much worse situation where if every prospect the Rangers trade for pans out despite being thrust into situations they are in no way ready for then the Rangers would get back to about the same level as the original pre-bern lineup.

:handclap: Exactly. No thought is ever given to if the slew of prospects acquired will develop, he just assumes they will.

The most hilarious is the AHL-level state of our defense when he's done with his barrage of unrealistic trades. Which he attempts to justify by stating they will be okay after some "growing pains." :laugh:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The day bern stops his proposals is the day I quit this place for good.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

The ironic part is that he always will respond with "disagree" and then chastise you for not being willing to "think outside the box". In the end, he has been proven wrong more often than not.

Remember when he wanted to give up half the team for Hertl? The kid who was a guaranteed 50 goal scorer and offering up Stepan and whoever else for this kid was in the best interest of the Rangers in the long run? The kid that has yet to score 50 goals over 2.5 NHL seasons or even hit 50 points in a single season.

This is one of multiple times where in the long term, Berns proposals would have left us fielding teams with AHL level talent because he wanted to trade all of our young talent for some random player that never pans out the way he expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad