Speculation: Offseason Thread: Officially Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I am actually with you on Stepan. I would trade Brassard over him 10/10 times unless the difference in return is massive. Stepan is a great #2+ C and should play at that level for 4-5 years.

But I still disagree with you in that Philly wasn't winning a Cup with Richards and Carter in the last five years. The fact that LA had Kopitar/Doughty/Quick and could leverage 3 elite years of Richards/Carter to win a Cup is completely irrelevent to Philly.

Where did I make an argument that Philly would've won with Richards/Carter? The franchise was a train wreck and I think I specifically said that I understood it. Are the 2016-17 NYR in the same spot as the 2011 Flyers? I don't think they are. The LA/PHI was a win/win for both.

Yeah, I agree. Brass before Stepan. Nash and Kreider before either.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Honestly I am sure as part of negotiations he was all but guarenteed to not have to ride a bus around New England.

Pencil him on the RW "filling in" for Nash. By filling in I mean taking his minutes, not being as productive. That's why I would bet on Nash going for a D & futures. Need Dmen to replace Yandle and Boyle. If Skjei and McIlrath are ready, and a D comes back in a Nash trade, then I definitely expect Klein to be in play.

Probability of moving:

Highest: Nash
High: Klein, Brass/Stepan
Maybe: Kreider/Hayes, M Staal

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Elliotte Friedman wrote last Friday in his 30 Thoughts column about knowing where the cap will be set sometime late this week. It's not going down but they may not use the full 5%. The PA bosses and the player agents want the full 5%. The players have a decision to make.

Yes, nothing till cap is in concrete. Plus anyone who makes a trade now would have to be convinced that there wouldn't be any surprise last minute offers to consider.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Honestly I am sure as part of negotiations he was all but guarenteed to not have to ride a bus around New England.

Pencil him on the RW "filling in" for Nash. By filling in I mean taking his minutes, not being as productive. That's why I would bet on Nash going for a D & futures. Need Dmen to replace Yandle and Boyle. If Skjei and McIlrath are ready, and a D comes back in a Nash trade, then I definitely expect Klein to be in play.

im sure he was guaranteed nothing about making the Rangers..but im also sure they gave him an out clause if he doesnt make it to go play in russia. no nhl team is going to guarantee playing time to a rookie sight unseen. just my 2 cents anyway.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
When he makes it, I really hope they let him play. Find the perfect balance between system and individual freedom.

I don't know much about hockey tactics, never got that close. But from an empathic pov, I think the good coaches knew when to force their tactics on their players and when to just let'em play. I fear AV is just incompetent and had great teams in front of him. Hope he doesn't ruin Buch.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Okay, since we’re not likely to see any real movement until sometime next week (and since my puppy had me up WAY too friggin’ early this morning), just for fun, I pulled together my Bernmeister-style “BLOW IT UP” NYR offseason (trades arranged in order from what I think is most likely to most off the wall):

Projected result:
Next year the team is in the bottom half of the league, but manages to stay relevant for the 8th playoff spot in the east for the first 40 games or so, before finally becoming a clear seller by the deadline. They're fun as hell to watch, especially seeing kids like Draisaitl, Buchnevich, Nichushkin, Skjei, etc. develop before our eyes (along with the guys listed as "prospects" who inevitably get called up during the season). The year thereafter, they are a solid bet for the playoffs, especially if they supplement with one or two savvy UFA signings. The year after that, if everything breaks right, prospects develop, etc. they're cup contenders.

Flame away!

I'd love all these moves, quality post

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
im sure he was guaranteed nothing about making the Rangers..but im also sure they gave him an out clause if he doesnt make it to go play in russia. no nhl team is going to guarantee playing time to a rookie sight unseen. just my 2 cents anyway.

I definitely think it happens. In a perfect world it wouldn't in my opinion. But Poile came out and said he promised Vesey ice time down the stretch with a playoff team. It happens when you have no $ leverage due to ELCs and the player has options.

It's no secret that the KHL risk is still there to varying degrees depending on the player. Buch has that option, even if it isn't his first choice.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
So now that Bowness is definitely re-signed in Tampa, what other associate coaches out there would be good ideas to be brought in as our defensive coach? Beuk and Brad Shaw are two possibilities. Who else?

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
So now that Bowness is definitely re-signed in Tampa, what other associate coaches out there would be good ideas to be brought in as our defensive coach? Beuk and Brad Shaw are two possibilities. Who else?

Don't know but if Anaheim gm loses his job this year, we should push Bern to apply for the opening!

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Nash TWF - Stepan TWF - Buch PLY
Miller TWF/PWF - Brass PLY - Zucc PLY
Kreider PWF - Hayes PLY - Stalberg PWF
Glass "TGH" - Lindberg TWF? - Fast GRN

McD-Klein
Yandle-McI
Skjei-Girardi
Staal

Hank
Rantaa

This roster is all over the place. No clear sniper. Too many LD's. Glass. I predict a disappointing off-season.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Sorry to be a stickler, but we aren't looking for an associate, we are looking for an assistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad