Speculation: Offseason Thread: Officially Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing30

Nov 20, 2011
NJ
I really hate the thought of moving Stepan. Its going to be such an interesting offseason to see the direction that gorton and co take. I feel if stepan and Staal are moved than they are all in on Stamkos. Horrified that they are gonna shell out a big deal for backes though

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I think that if they can turn Stepan into Dumba + Tuch + 15th overall that's a good deal. However, like you said, it needs to be in conjunction with other moves. Klein would need to go. Nash would need to go. I am hopeful they can find a taker for Staal as well. Choose McAvoy and he is the replacement for Girardi in a year or 2.

Stepan for Dumba + Tuch + MIN 1st

If that were Nash for Dumba, Tuch, 1st I'd be all over it.

Who are you replacing Stepan with? Hayes? Who is your 3rd line center? Lindberg? He's out for months. Miller? UFA?

You've got a nice young D, a RW prospect, and a crapshoot for your best center who is 25 and who you now have to replace. I don't get it. Stepan might get you value but it's not a guy the Rangers can afford to lose.

(edit) And, while I'm at it, I think Stepan is a nice 2 way player. He's not an elite center or anything close to it but this is the guy that's our best (overall) center. Unless you've got a center coming back, your (or anyone's) deal doesn't make enough sense for the NYR.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I understand that. I don't understand how trading Stepan helps the Rangers more than trading Nash or Kreider who both also have a lot of value.

If I'm GM, I don't trade a 25 year old top 6 center who I have locked up for a decent cap number for quite a few years. Strength on the blue line. Strength down the middle. Strength between the pipes.

They may be targeting another center whether that be via UFA or trade. If that's the case, they may not 'need' Stepan as he is the higher paid of the (2) centers.

I don't believe a Stepan trade precludes them not trading Nash. I think it would be in conjunction with one.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If that were Nash for Dumba, Tuch, 1st I'd be all over it.

Who are you replacing Stepan with? Hayes? Who is your 3rd line center? Lindberg? He's out for months. Miller? UFA?

You've got a nice young D, a RW prospect, and a crapshoot for your best center who is 25 and who you now have to replace. I don't get it. Stepan might get you value but it's not a guy the Rangers can afford to lose.

(edit) And, while I'm at it, I think Stepan is a nice 2 way player. He's not an elite center or anything close to it but this is the guy that's our best (overall) center. Unless you've got a center coming back, your (or anyone's) deal doesn't make enough sense for the NYR.

I don't think Nash gets that, although I could be wrong. I think Nash may end up in Anaheim/SJ/Nashville if I had to guess.

Hayes moves up and there are a lot of moving parts possibly this summer. The Rangers may have an eye on another young center who they think can back-fill the 3C role. Maybe another team has to move someone in order to open up cap space for a year and trading Stepan for other assets allows them to create the space to take advantage of a Hagelin-like situation.

I don't think we could judge the organization for seeing what Stepan's value is IF they have other pokers in the fire.

I still find it hard to believe that the Rangers will NOT be in on Stamkos.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
They may be targeting another center whether that be via UFA or trade. If that's the case, they may not 'need' Stepan as he is the higher paid of the (2) centers.

I don't believe a Stepan trade precludes them not trading Nash. I think it would be in conjunction with one.

He's also younger and a (much) better two way player. Again, a huge bone of contention with the NYR here at HF has always been how weak we are down the middle. Here we are, finally, above average (not "great") down the middle and people want to trade away a young asset that's locked up for years.

Nash I get. Kreider I get. Brassard I could almost understand - particularly if a C is coming back.

Stepan I don't get. And I'm not even a huge Stepan guy. I just can't get behind that move.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Okay, since we’re not likely to see any real movement until sometime next week (and since my puppy had me up WAY too friggin’ early this morning), just for fun, I pulled together my Bernmeister-style “BLOW IT UP” NYR offseason (trades arranged in order from what I think is most likely to most off the wall):

Trades:
To ANA: Nash (50% retained)
To NYR: Vatanen, Nattinen, 2017 2nd rd pick
Rationale: Anaheim has a really good core, but with Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler all on the wrong side of 30 now, they have a window of 2-3 more years. Time for them to go for it. They’re only giving up one roster player, who is a luxury for them (as they’re loaded with young offensive defensemen) and about to become more expensive. They have all their picks next year but for their 6th rounder, so the pick isn’t that painful (and should be fairly low). They get a player of Nash’s quality for half price. Rangers get a RH offensive defenseman, a good (not great) center prospect and a 2nd rounder in next year’s draft.

To NSH: Brassard
To NYR: Kamenev, 2016 1st rd pick (#17 OA), and for cap dump purposes, Ribeiro
Rationale: Nashville gets desperately needed offensive help, at their position of greatest need, on a phenomenal contract (both in terms of cap hit and real $). They also dump Ribeiro who is declining, has a history of clashing with coaches, and would be an unnecessary cost as a 3rd line center at his salary. Rangers get a good young center, a mid round 1st rounder in a decent, but not great draft, and a guy who they can perhaps flip for a 2nd or 3rd rounder at the deadline in Ribeiro.

To WPG: M. Staal
To NYR: 2016 2nd rd pick (#36 OA), 2017 2nd rd pick
Rationale: Winnipeg brings in the still-very-good-for-all-the crap-he-takes-around-here Marc Staal, who is a hometown boy (although technically Minneapolis is about an hour closer by car), giving them a solid, steady LD on a team that could use some steady D-first guys to balance out the high-risk offensive defensemen who play the right side on their D pairs. Also allows them to trade Marc Stuart to a team that needs a decent defenseman on a decent ($, term) contract, should they choose to do so. Winnipeg has two 1sts this year and all their picks next year, so giving up a pair of 2nds isn’t that painful. Also, while the Rangers might’ve been able to get more in return, they don’t want to retain cash on a deal with that much term left, and so are content to settle for two 2nd rounders. Obviously requires Staal to waive his NMC, but he does it to be closer to home (and because Eric also signs there). :) Rangers get two 2nds to replenish their depleted pool.

To MIN: Stepan, 2016 3rd rd pick (#81 OA)
To NYR: Brodin, Tuch, 2016 1st rd pick (#15 OA)
Rationale: as with Anaheim, Minnesota’s key players are now all in their early 30s. They bring the hometown kid home (and as an added bonus, he can play for them for another 8-10 years, so it’s not as short term a move as the Nash deal is for Anaheim). Again, only giving up one roster player, in this case a guy who’s already earning $4MM+ and has been a bit of disappointment to them given his contract. The prospect and pick hurt, especially given Minnesota’s lack of picks this year, but you’ve got to pay up for a player in his prime like Stepan, and the Rangers also include a 3rd rounder to soften the blow of the first Minnesota gives up. Rangers get a young, potential breakout/change of scenery candidate in Brodin, a very promising prospect in Tuch, and a mid round 1st rounder in a decent, but not great draft.

To EDM: McDonagh, Klein
To NYR: Draisaitl, 2016 1st rd pick (#4 OA), 2016 3rd rd pick (#63 OA), 2017 3rd rd pick
Rationale: Here ya go, Edmonton, all your defensive problems solved in one fell swoop, with two guys under contract (and without NMCs, so they cannot refuse to go to hockey’s Siberia). :) If Talbot can return to his pre-trade form, you’ve now got a team that can make some noise in the west, and could very quickly become a perennial cup contender with McDavid, Hall, RNH, Eberle, and Yakupov up front, McD, Nurse, and Klefbom on the back end. Klein adds steadying veteran presence. Gotta give to get, though, and it’ll cost you (though with Edmonton’s bevy of picks and young players they can easily afford it). Rangers get a potential #1C, a great pick, a 3rd rounder to replace the one given up in the Stepan deal, plus an extra 3rd the year after.

To DAL: Lundqvist, Glass
To NYR: Nichushkin, Honka, 2017 1st rd pick, and for cap dump purposes, NYR also agree to take Lehtonen.
Rationale: This is the one that hurts by far the most given how much we all love Hank, but this IS my blow it all up scenario, so... Dallas is strengthening its biggest weakness by bringing in the best player at his position in the league; by acquiring Lundqvist they become early favorites to challenge Pittsburgh next year. Also, they get out from under the burden of Lehtonen’s contract. Obviously this also requires waiving of an NMC, but Hank agrees because it gives him a real shot at the cup before he retires (plus Joel gives him the inside dope on all the really good BBQ joints). :) Rangers get a promising young RW, a promising young RD, and likely a (very) late 1st round pick. Also, thankfully, get rid of Glass. Lehtonen has been a major disappointment for 3 straight years now, but perhaps Allaire can get him back to his pre-2014 form. If not, Raanta is serviceable, and they’re both only here to keep the seat warm for Shestyorkin/Halverson/Skapski anyway.

UFAs:
Let Yandle, E. Staal, Moore, and Boyle all walk.
Retain Stalberg on a 2 year, $1.5MM deal.
Sign Vesey, plus a bunch of other NCAA UDFAs
Sign 3-4 solid, veteran, high character, bottom six F, bottom pair D guys on relatively short term, relatively low $ contracts.

Players Retained:
Girardi: probably not tradeable right now given his terrible season last year, and besides, given the movement above, you need some veteran leadership. Is likely the Captain of the team for 2016-2017.
MZA: another great player on a great contract who would help any team, but again with all the movement above there’s a real need for some continuity and good good locker room guys, so you keep him around to start the season. Then, you make him available at the deadline.
Fast, Lindberg, Kreider, Miller, Hayes: the young core up front.
Skjei, McIlrath: the young core on the back end.
Raanta: solid back-up/serviceable starter if Lehtonen is terrible again.

Roster:
Kreider–Draisaitl–MZA
Miller–Ribeiro–Buchnevich
Lindberg–Hayes–Nichushkin
Stalberg–UFA–Fast
UFA

Brodin–Vatanen
Skjei–McIlrath
UFA–Girardi
UFA

Lehtonen
Raanta

Prospects Added:
Nattinen
Kamenev
Tuch
Honka
Vesey

(Net) Picks Added:
2016: three 1st rounders (including the #4 OA), one 2nd rounder, and the team’s 3rd rounder improves 18 spots.
2017: one 1st rounder, two 2nd rounders, and one 3rd rounder

Subsequent moves at the 2017 trade deadline:
Trade MZA for picks/prospects (should fetch multiple 1st rounders and/or grade A prospects).
Trade Ribeiro for pick/prospect (should fetch a 2nd rounder or a grade B prospect).

Projected result:
Next year the team is in the bottom half of the league, but manages to stay relevant for the 8th playoff spot in the east for the first 40 games or so, before finally becoming a clear seller by the deadline. They're fun as hell to watch, especially seeing kids like Draisaitl, Buchnevich, Nichushkin, Skjei, etc. develop before our eyes (along with the guys listed as "prospects" who inevitably get called up during the season). The year thereafter, they are a solid bet for the playoffs, especially if they supplement with one or two savvy UFA signings. The year after that, if everything breaks right, prospects develop, etc. they're cup contenders.

Flame away!

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Okay, since we’re not likely to see any real movement until sometime next week (and since my puppy had me up WAY too friggin’ early this morning), just for fun, I pulled together my Bernmeister-style “BLOW IT UP†NYR offseason (trades arranged in order from what I think is most likely to most off the wall):

Trades:
Rationale: Anaheim has a really good core, but with Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler all on the wrong side of 30 now, they have a window of 2-3 more years. Time for them to go for it. They’re only giving up one roster player, who is a luxury for them (as they’re loaded with young offensive defensemen) and about to become more expensive. They have all their picks next year but for their 2nd, so the pick isn’t that painful (and should be fairly low). They get a player of Nash’s quality for half price. Rangers get a RH offensive defenseman, a good (not great) center prospect and a 2nd rounder in next year’s draft.

Rationale: Nashville gets desperately needed offensive help, at their position of greatest need, on a phenomenal contract (both in terms of cap hit and real $). They also dump Ribeiro who is declining, has a history of clashing with coaches, and would be an unnecessary cost as a 3rd line center at his salary. Rangers get a good young center, a mid round 1st rounder in a decent, but not great draft, and a guy who they can perhaps flip for a 2nd or 3rd rounder at the deadline in Ribeiro.

Rationale: Winnipeg brings in the still-very-good-for-all-the crap-he-takes-around-here, Marc Staal, who is a hometown boy (although technically Minneapolis is about an hour closer by car), giving them a solid, steady LD on a team that could use some steady D-first guys to balance out the high-risk offensive defensemen who play the right side on their D pairs. Also allows them to trade Marc Stuart to a team that needs a decent defenseman on a decent ($, term) contract, should they choose to do so. Winnipeg has 2 1sts this year and all their picks next year, so giving up a pair of 2nds isn’t that painful. Also, while the Rangers might’ve been able to get more in return, they don’t want to retain cash on a deal with that much term left, so only get the two 2nd rounders. Obviously requires Staal to waive his NMC, but he does it to be closer to home (and because Eric also signs there). :) Rangers get two 2nds to replenish their depleted pool.

Rationale: as with Anaheim, Minnesota’s key players are now all in their early 30s. They bring the hometown kid home (and as an added bonus, he can play for them for another 8-10 years, so it’s not as short term a move as the Nash deal is for Anaheim). Again, only giving up one roster player, in this case a guy who’s already earning $4MM+ and has been a bit of disappointment to them given his contract. The prospect and pick hurt, especially given Minnesota’s lack of picks this year, but you’ve got to pay up for a player in his prime like Stepan, and the Rangers also include a 3rd rounder to soften the blow of the first Minnesota gives up. Rangers get a young, potential breakout/change of scenery candidate in Brodin, a very promising prospect in Tuch, and a mid round 1st rounder in a decent, but not great draft.

Like these moves, although I'm not sure we get all of that for Nash

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Elliotte Friedman wrote last Friday in his 30 Thoughts column about knowing where the cap will be set sometime late this week. It's not going down but they may not use the full 5%. The PA bosses and the player agents want the full 5%. The players have a decision to make.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Like these moves, although I'm not sure we get all of that for Nash

I dunno, Nash at only $3.9MM...?

If they're desperate enough (and they should be, given the window they have left), I can see it happening. Especially since the pick is a 2nd, rather than a 1st, and in next year's draft, not this one coming.

Anyway, just something to have fun with for the next week when they start making moves for real (I hope). :)

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Too much movement, BRF...my belief is that they are not moving both Brassard and Stepan. I also think LA, Dallas and Colorado are better targets for Staal. But, you did a good job of channeling your inner Bern.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I dunno, Nash at only $3.9MM...?

If they're desperate enough (and they should be, given the window they have left), I can see it happening. Especially since the pick is a 2nd, rather than a 1st, and in next year's draft, not this one coming.

Anyway, just something to have fun with for the next week when they start making moves for real (I hope). :)

Oops, missed the half retained. Maybe that would be something they would be interested in

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Too much movement, BRF...my belief is that they are not moving both Brassard and Stepan. I also think LA, Dallas and Colorado are better targets for Staal. But, you did a good job of channeling your inner Bern.

Probably true. You almost never see teams blow it up that much, not all at once at any rate. Would be fun as hell, however.

Oh, and as an added bonus, not that I'm advocating for it, but the squad that's left when the dust all settles could easily afford Stamkos as well... :naughty:

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Stamkos. TB. Toronto. Detroit. Montreal. Buffalo.

No doubt, RB.

And I'm not saying I want him here with his injury history and how badly the Rangers have fared with high-priced UFAs in the past.

I'm just saying that if they did go all-out the way I've suggested, they could easily afford him – and boy, would that make the offseason that much crazier...

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
It really isn't. Richards was 26 when he was traded. Stepan is 25. Anyone who watched the 2011 LA team would tell you Richards was instrumental in their Cup run. Did LA have a better team around Richards than Philly? Yes. But, that really isn't the point here.

Pointing to a trade where you traded away one of your key centers (Richards) for two pieces (Schenn & Simmonds) and got worse while the guy you traded went on to win two Cups doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It's not like LA didn't get 3-4 good years out of Richards (60 points in 48 games during the lockout) and win a couple of Cups. And don't get me wrong, particularly on Simmonds, the Flyers got decent value out of the Richards trade. I just don't see how it has helped Philly all that much.

It helped Philly because they went through their lean years, drafted a boatload of good defensemen, and still have 4 good roster pieces to show for it.

They still have 4 good players producing at a decent level bolstering their forward group. A decent group that will get better as players like Sanheim and Provorov are feeding them pucks. Oh and that Ghost kid. Without making the deals, they would have an albatross in Richards and a declining Carter as their dmen are coming on line. Thus needing to desperately acquire forwards to go with their good defensemen in a never ending cycle (sound familiar?).

Obviously short term LA won. But the real comparison is Philly with Richards and Carter at 31 v the players they acquired. And it's no question.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Bowness is staying in Tampa. Of course when we think the Rangers are making a good personnel decision, it turns out to not be true.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It's cool guys, with Carlyle coming back to coach the Ducks, I'm sure Gorton can trade Staal for Vatanen.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
It helped Philly because they went through their lean years, drafted a boatload of good defensemen, and still have 4 good roster pieces to show for it.

They still have 4 good players producing at a decent level bolstering their forward group. A decent group that will get better as players like Sanheim and Provorov are feeding them pucks. Oh and that Ghost kid. Without making the deals, they would have an albatross in Richards and a declining Carter as their dmen are coming on line. Thus needing to desperately acquire forwards to go with their good defensemen in a never ending cycle (sound familiar?).

Obviously short term LA won. But the real comparison is Philly with Richards and Carter at 31 v the players they acquired. And it's no question.

No, the real comparison is that LA won two Cups because they were stacked down the middle. You can't just jump ahead 5 years and forget what happened in between. I realize that Philly had their shot and jettisoned two players for futures, but that's not where the Rangers are at right now. Moore gone. Boyle gone. Trade Nash. And then this is young(ish) team that's been to war multiple times. They aren't in the position that Philadelphia was.

I'm not against trading assets (Nash, Kreider). I'm against trading a core 25 year old center for a D, a prospect RW and a pick.

But, I've beat this to death. You can espouse that trading Stepan is something that'll help our future and I'll keep saying that, at 25, he is part of our future. I'm done.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Carolina makes sense as a landing spot for some of our guys. They are loaded with picks and prospects and are waaaaay under the cap floor.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Nice bern post BRF. Tkachuk/Jost, Bean/McAvoy/Fabbro, Rubtsov/Kunin.

Pick in the top 10 in 2017. Spend wisely on mid tier UFAs that summer. Chance to be dominant 2018-2023.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
No, the real comparison is that LA won two Cups because they were stacked down the middle. You can't just jump ahead 5 years and forget what happened in between. I realize that Philly had their shot and jettisoned two players for futures, but that's not where the Rangers are at right now. Moore gone. Boyle gone. Trade Nash. And then this is young(ish) team that's been to war multiple times. They aren't in the position that Philadelphia was.

I'm not against trading assets (Nash, Kreider). I'm against trading a core 25 year old center for a D, a prospect RW and a pick.

But, I've beat this to death. You can espouse that trading Stepan is something that'll help our future and I'll keep saying that, at 25, he is part of our future. I'm done.

I am actually with you on Stepan. I would trade Brassard over him 10/10 times unless the difference in return is massive. Stepan is a great #2+ C and should play at that level for 4-5 years.

But I still disagree with you in that Philly wasn't winning a Cup with Richards and Carter in the last five years. The fact that LA had Kopitar/Doughty/Quick and could leverage 3 elite years of Richards/Carter to win a Cup is completely irrelevent to Philly.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Okay, since we’re not likely to see any real movement until sometime next week (and since my puppy had me up WAY too friggin’ early this morning), just for fun, I pulled together my Bernmeister-style “BLOW IT UP†NYR offseason (trades arranged in order from what I think is most likely to most off the wall):

Trades:
Rationale: Anaheim has a really good core, but with Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler all on the wrong side of 30 now, they have a window of 2-3 more years. Time for them to go for it. They’re only giving up one roster player, who is a luxury for them (as they’re loaded with young offensive defensemen) and about to become more expensive. They have all their picks next year but for their 6th rounder, so the pick isn’t that painful (and should be fairly low). They get a player of Nash’s quality for half price. Rangers get a RH offensive defenseman, a good (not great) center prospect and a 2nd rounder in next year’s draft.

Rationale: Winnipeg brings in the still-very-good-for-all-the crap-he-takes-around-here Marc Staal, who is a hometown boy (although technically Minneapolis is about an hour closer by car), giving them a solid, steady LD on a team that could use some steady D-first guys to balance out the high-risk offensive defensemen who play the right side on their D pairs. Also allows them to trade Marc Stuart to a team that needs a decent defenseman on a decent ($, term) contract, should they choose to do so. Winnipeg has two 1sts this year and all their picks next year, so giving up a pair of 2nds isn’t that painful. Also, while the Rangers might’ve been able to get more in return, they don’t want to retain cash on a deal with that much term left, and so are content to settle for two 2nd rounders. Obviously requires Staal to waive his NMC, but he does it to be closer to home (and because Eric also signs there). :) Rangers get two 2nds to replenish their depleted pool.

To EDM: McDonagh, Klein
To NYR: Draisaitl, 2016 1st rd pick (#4 OA), 2016 3rd rd pick (#63 OA), 2017 3rd rd pick
Rationale: Here ya go, Edmonton, all your defensive problems solved in one fell swoop, with two guys under contract (and without NMCs, so they cannot refuse to go to hockey’s Siberia). :) If Talbot can return to his pre-trade form, you’ve now got a team that can make some noise in the west, and could very quickly become a perennial cup contender with McDavid, Hall, RNH, Eberle, and Yakupov up front, McD, Nurse, and Klefbom on the back end. Klein adds steadying veteran presence. Gotta give to get, though, and it’ll cost you (though with Edmonton’s bevy of picks and young players they can easily afford it). Rangers get a potential #1C, a great pick, a 3rd rounder to replace the one given up in the Stepan deal, plus an extra 3rd the year after.

To DAL: Lundqvist, Glass
To NYR: Nichushkin, Honka, 2017 1st rd pick, and for cap dump purposes, NYR also agree to take Lehtonen.
Rationale: This is the one that hurts by far the most given how much we all love Hank, but this IS my blow it all up scenario, so... Dallas is strengthening its biggest weakness by bringing in the best player at his position in the league; by acquiring Lundqvist they become early favorites to challenge Pittsburgh next year. Also, they get out from under the burden of Lehtonen’s contract. Obviously this also requires waiving of an NMC, but Hank agrees because it gives him a real shot at the cup before he retires (plus Joel gives him the inside dope on all the really good BBQ joints). :) Rangers get a promising young RW, a promising young RD, and likely a (very) late 1st round pick. Also, thankfully, get rid of Glass. Lehtonen has been a major disappointment for 3 straight years now, but perhaps Allaire can get him back to his pre-2014 form. If not, Raanta is serviceable, and they’re both only here to keep the seat warm for Shestyorkin/Halverson/Skapski anyway.

UFAs:
Let Yandle, E. Staal, Moore, and Boyle all walk.
Retain Stalberg on a 2 year, $1.5MM deal.
Sign Vesey, plus a bunch of other NCAA UDFAs
Sign 3-4 solid, veteran, high character, bottom six F, bottom pair D guys on relatively short term, relatively low $ contracts.

Players Retained:
Girardi: probably not tradeable right now given his terrible season last year, and besides, given the movement above, you need some veteran leadership. Is likely the Captain of the team for 2016-2017.
MZA: another great player on a great contract who would help any team, but again with all the movement above there’s a real need for some continuity and good good locker room guys, so you keep him around to start the season. Then, you make him available at the deadline.
Fast, Lindberg, Kreider, Miller, Hayes: the young core up front.
Skjei, McIlrath: the young core on the back end.
Raanta: solid back-up/serviceable starter if Lehtonen is terrible again.

Roster:
Kreider–Draisaitl–MZA
Miller–Ribeiro–Buchnevich
Lindberg–Hayes–Nichushkin
Stalberg–UFA–Fast
UFA

Brodin–Vatanen
Skjei–McIlrath
UFA–Girardi
UFA

Lehtonen
Raanta

Prospects Added:
Nattinen
Kamenev
Tuch
Honka
Vesey

(Net) Picks Added:
2016: three 1st rounders (including the #4 OA), one 2nd rounder, and the team’s 3rd rounder improves 18 spots.
2017: one 1st rounder, two 2nd rounders, and one 3rd rounder

Subsequent moves at the 2017 trade deadline:
Trade MZA for picks/prospects (should fetch multiple 1st rounders and/or grade A prospects).
Trade Ribeiro for pick/prospect (should fetch a 2nd rounder or a grade B prospect).

Projected result:
Next year the team is in the bottom half of the league, but manages to stay relevant for the 8th playoff spot in the east for the first 40 games or so, before finally becoming a clear seller by the deadline. They're fun as hell to watch, especially seeing kids like Draisaitl, Buchnevich, Nichushkin, Skjei, etc. develop before our eyes (along with the guys listed as "prospects" who inevitably get called up during the season). The year thereafter, they are a solid bet for the playoffs, especially if they supplement with one or two savvy UFA signings. The year after that, if everything breaks right, prospects develop, etc. they're cup contenders.

Flame away!

yep sign me up for all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad