Speculation: Offseason Thread: Officially Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Who is Rick bowness? I don't follow assistant coaches? Is he better than ulf?

He was one of Tampa's assistant coaches the last few years. He handled the defense and penalty kill.

He served the same role for AV with the Canucks.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I like bringing Bowness in. He's been a part of some really successful teams in the past few years.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If there is any way Gorton could get Jacob Trouba from Winnipeg I think it's a deal we should pursue.

Stepan? Kreider, Klein and Lindberg?

Trouba isn't quiet there when it comes to moving the puck etc, not yet at least, but he is world class in terms of physical ability and in the dynamic way he moves on the ice. It is not easy to get a player that has potential to be an edge on a contender. Trouba has that potential.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
comes with a lot of inside knowledge to a team that has our number

This is always a plus.

Besides that, I think maybe too much is read into how much an assistant coach decides how a team plays. The pros and cons of playing man-man defense with the personnel we have will remain no matter what assistant coach works with them.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Rebuild. Retool. Reconstruction. Regenerate.

Clayton Keller is another BU kid. He could end up playing in the OHL. It depends on his team.

The Boston Globe wrote about the BU pipeline

It’s likely that Charlie McAvoy (the No. 6-ranked North American skater, according to NHL Central Scouting), Clayton Keller (No. 9), Kieffer Bellows (No. 10), and Dante Fabbro (No. 18) could be four of the first 30 picks. Any of the four would interest the Bruins at No. 14.

McAvoy played his first season at BU in 2015-16, mostly alongside Bruins prospect Matt Grzelcyk. Bellows and Fabbro will be BU freshmen this fall. Keller, Bellows’s teammate at the National Team Development Program, is leaning toward BU, but will wait until after the draft to determine whether college or the OHL (the Windsor Spitfires own his major junior rights) will be in his future. Krys is ranked No. 53, which would make him a first-round reach, but he is an offensive defenseman, a commodity in high regard among NHL clubs.

That the Terriers landed such high-end talent reflects well on coach David Quinn, assistant coach Albie O’Connell, and former assistant Steve Greeley, who helped recruit the players before he left for the Rangers.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...ield-bounty/w0EEew6V8lmiJ1rYOyjoOJ/story.html

The Rangers would need to get higher than #15 to select Keller. He is a smaller player but he has top end skill. Whether you leave him at BU or assign him to the OHL,Keller should be an impact NHL forward which is what the Rangers desperately need in the worst way. Keller wants to play at BU but it all depends on the team which selects him.

I really like Stepan but I would trade him. #15. Maybe the Rangers can flip Brodin for more younger assets or they get Dumba and sign him to a 2 year bridge deal. Dumba is one of the players TB liked for Drouin. The Rangers need a 3rd piece. Maybe the Rangers include a player who wont be protected but it's impossible to determine the expansion list to get a better 3rd piece. Erikkson Ek or Tuch. Coyle would be a great fit but they won't trade him. Brodin is a player which should interest many teams in the NHL. The Rangers have lefties on D. Maybe they can move a lefty and replace him with Brodin. Too many moving parts.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Rick Bowness played with and coached Scott Arniel in Winnipeg back in the day. Joined the Bruins organization as ahl head coach, Gordie Clark was an assistant to Bowness the one season he coached the Bruins.

He was also a teammate of Joe Micheletti on the Blues in 1980.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Stop Coachin' Pat threw out Bowness's name a few weeks ago when Ulf took the Charlotte Checkers coaching job. I like the hire a lot. Tampa's been great at breaking the puck out of the zone at ES and they've been super aggressive on the PK. Bowness should fit in well here.

I wonder if this is will kickstart other organizational moves?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Also, Dave Nonis and Randy Carlyle out in Anaheim now? Time to take advantage while we can :naughty:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Rebuild. Retool. Reconstruction. Regenerate.

Clayton Keller is another BU kid. He could end up playing in the OHL. It depends on his team.

The Boston Globe wrote about the BU pipeline

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...ield-bounty/w0EEew6V8lmiJ1rYOyjoOJ/story.html

The Rangers would need to get higher than #15 to select Keller. He is a smaller player but he has top end skill. Whether you leave him at BU or assign him to the OHL,Keller should be an impact NHL forward which is what the Rangers desperately need in the worst way. Keller wants to play at BU but it all depends on the team which selects him.

I really like Stepan but I would trade him. #15. Maybe the Rangers can flip Brodin for more younger assets or they get Dumba and sign him to a 2 year bridge deal. Dumba is one of the players TB liked for Drouin. The Rangers need a 3rd piece. Maybe the Rangers include a player who wont be protected but it's impossible to determine the expansion list to get a better 3rd piece. Erikkson Ek or Tuch. Coyle would be a great fit but they won't trade him. Brodin is a player which should interest many teams in the NHL. The Rangers have lefties on D. Maybe they can move a lefty and replace him with Brodin. Too many moving parts.

I think that if they can turn Stepan into Dumba + Tuch + 15th overall that's a good deal. However, like you said, it needs to be in conjunction with other moves. Klein would need to go. Nash would need to go. I am hopeful they can find a taker for Staal as well. Choose McAvoy and he is the replacement for Girardi in a year or 2.

Stepan for Dumba + Tuch + MIN 1st

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
They did, but acting as if the trade is Mike Richards and two cups for Schenn/Simmonds is ridiculous. That Flyers team was bound to fall off with or without Richards. Briere/Gagne were never going to be that good again, and of course Chris Pronger having his career ended pretty much sank that team. The timing of the trades were obviously highly questionable, but the return WAS excellent. Especially the return for Carter.

That said, Stepan is not even remotely conparable to Richards. Stepan isnt nearly as reckless a player as Richards was. So I dont even know why Richards was brought up.

It really isn't. Richards was 26 when he was traded. Stepan is 25. Anyone who watched the 2011 LA team would tell you Richards was instrumental in their Cup run. Did LA have a better team around Richards than Philly? Yes. But, that really isn't the point here.

Pointing to a trade where you traded away one of your key centers (Richards) for two pieces (Schenn & Simmonds) and got worse while the guy you traded went on to win two Cups doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It's not like LA didn't get 3-4 good years out of Richards (60 points in 48 games during the lockout) and win a couple of Cups. And don't get me wrong, particularly on Simmonds, the Flyers got decent value out of the Richards trade. I just don't see how it has helped Philly all that much.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It really isn't. Richards was 26 when he was traded. Stepan is 25. Anyone who watched the 2011 LA team would tell you Richards was instrumental in their Cup run. Did LA have a better team around Richards than Philly? Yes. But, that really isn't the point here.

Pointing to a trade where you traded away one of your key centers (Richards) for two pieces (Schenn & Simmonds) and got worse while the guy you traded went on to win two Cups doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It's not like LA didn't get 3-4 good years out of Richards (60 points in 48 games during the lockout) and win a couple of Cups. And don't get me wrong, particularly on Simmonds, the Flyers got decent value out of the Richards trade. I just don't see how it has helped Philly all that much.

To be fair, Philly was run by incompetent management. Getting Voracek, Couturier, Simmonds, Schenn + for Richards and Carter should have launched them into the stratosphere. Unfortunately they didn't surround those guys with the correct players. I don't think you can look at those deals and say they weren't a success but rather that the Flyers management couldn't seem to do anything beyond that.

If the Rangers trade Stepan, they better take a hard look at trading Brassard as well. He is the older player and less versatile than Derek.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
To be fair, Philly was run by incompetent management. Getting Voracek, Couturier, Simmonds, Schenn + for Richards and Carter should have launched them into the stratosphere. Unfortunately they didn't surround those guys with the correct players. I don't think you can look at those deals and say they weren't a success but rather that the Flyers management couldn't seem to do anything beyond that.

If the Rangers trade Stepan, they better take a hard look at trading Brassard as well. He is the older player and less versatile than Derek.

I understand that. I don't understand how trading Stepan helps the Rangers more than trading Nash or Kreider who both also have a lot of value.

If I'm GM, I don't trade a 25 year old top 6 center who I have locked up for a decent cap number for quite a few years. Strength on the blue line. Strength down the middle. Strength between the pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad