Speculation: Offseason thread #2: We don't use Roman Numerals in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Do you know how much money the Rangers would need to clear to pay Stamkos $10M? Who would be left to play with Stamkos? The media is close to Newport Sports especially McKenzie. The more teams involved for Stamkos is better for Newport. Pay one player $10M or maybe even more. Stamkos has a no movement clause. He is not waiving the clause. Brad Richards was in the same boat. Same agency. NMC. He would not waive for Dallas to get a draft pick. Pay $10M for one player and put a good roster around him.

vstk

Jun 17, 2011
Valhalla, NY
I personally wouldn't like to sign a superstar elite free agent coming from another team. Mainly because I can't remember it ever working out. Players always seems to deflate after that.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Then the Rangers should stop telling the media they are retooling or rebuilding or reconstructing. To me its the same ****. You are not trying to win now.

so you want them to tell the truth instead of just telling fans what they want to hear? lol thats a good one

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
We aren't going to rebuild with Lundqvist. It's not even worth thinking about considering it's not going to happen.

Yeah, it's going to be a retooling. Gorton trying to get younger while also remaining a playoff team.

It seems like people on here are going to be angry if the team doesn't resemble the Leafs or Sabres.

Frankly, I'm fine with the Detroit way of doing things. Strive for excellence every year, constant retooling on the fly, figure out how to always have a playoff team because in today's NHL, anybody could beat anybody. As good as the Penguins were this year, all it would've taken was a Letang or a Crosby injury and they could've been right out of there. Teams are so close, you never know. People laugh at that, but I'd rather avoid becoming the Leafs, instill a winning culture.

Don't continue to bleed assets, but I also don't think they need to bottom out either. For each team that we point to and say "Look at Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA they all sucked and got better with high picks." Well look at the Oilers. The Islanders and Panthers always picking high and remaining mediocre teams. Teams bottom out and don't win just as often, if not more often, than those that win.

Keep our picks, make savvy trades to acquire youth and picks, but always put the best product on the ice. If we didn't miss the playoffs in 2010 we'd have the 2nd longest active playoff streak. The core has turned over many times in that span and we've stayed a playoff team.

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
so you want them to tell the truth instead of just telling fans what they want to hear? lol thats a good one

What do the fans want to hear? The majority of the Rangers fan base wants no part of the Rangers taking a step back. They want the Rangers to keep going for it. They want Stamkos. They want big names and big stars.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Yeah, it's going to be a retooling. Gorton trying to get younger while also remaining a playoff team.

It seems like people on here are going to be angry if the team doesn't resemble the Leafs or Sabres.

Frankly, I'm fine with the Detroit way of doing things. Strive for excellence every year, constant retooling on the fly, figure out how to always have a playoff team because in today's NHL, anybody could beat anybody. As good as the Penguins were this year, all it would've taken was a Letang or a Crosby injury and they could've been right out of there. Teams are so close, you never know. People laugh at that, but I'd rather avoid becoming the Leafs, instill a winning culture.

Detroit way of things is losing in the first round and picking in mid first round. Winning culture. The Wings were good when Illitch could toss his money around. Their last Cup in 2008 was with the players from the previous CBA. They hit the lottery twice with Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Late round picks.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
What do the fans want to hear? The majority of the Rangers fan base wants no part of the Rangers taking a step back. They want the Rangers to keep going for it. They want Stamkos. They want big names and big stars.

and they have the media reporting both scenarios

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
if were getting stamkos and keeping lundqvist thats not a rebuild... thats changing gears

That's stupidity and I will have to wait for the Gorton era to be over so I can be hopeful again for a short amount of time until the new guy does the same ****. :help:

NO STAMKOS

NO

NO NO NON NONONNOONO

puke.gif

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
That's stupidity and I will have to wait for the Gorton era to be over so I can be hopeful again for a short amount of time until the new guy does the same ****. :help:

NO STAMKOS

NO

NO NO NON NONONNOONO

puke.gif

You'll get him and you'll ****ing LOVE it. :handclap::yo:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Because a) prevailing wisdom is you can never rebuild properly in NYC :shakehead and b) his agent will want everyone to think the Rangers are involved right up until the moment he signs somewhere.

And because, it would be a classic Ranger move.

I really don't think it's that far fetched. It IS certainly a bit far fetched due to the salary that would have to be moved.

But I see them doing this before I see them trading all the prime assets for futures, like you & I want them to do.

Add in the Stamkos seems to love the spotlight. There was an article a while back 2013ish where he cited MSG as his favorite building and Henrik as the best goalie in the league.

I'm not saying I would bet on it, but I would bet on them going for it (or going for Loui, Backes, etc) before I see them entering camp $5+ under the cap.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
And because, it would be a classic Ranger move.

I really don't think it's that far fetched. It IS certainly a bit far fetched due to the salary that would have to be moved.

But I see them doing this before I see them trading all the prime assets for futures, like you & I want them to do.

Add in the Stamkos seems to love the spotlight. There was an article a while back 2013ish where he cited MSG as his favorite building and Henrik as the best goalie in the league.

I'm not saying I would bet on it, but I would bet on them going for it (or going for Loui, Backes, etc) before I see them entering camp $5+ under the cap.

Well, management did say that this would be the last run with this group if they don't win. Everyone assumed that meant rebuild/retool. Knowing the Rangers, it just as easily could have meant build the team around a guy Stamkos. I mean, if they traded Stepan and bought out Girardi/traded Staal, there is the cap + some needed for Stamkos. Not to mention, think about the haul they would get for Stepan and none of it needs to be spent on a Stepan replacement. Stamkos is your replacement and you now have a 1st round pick + grade A prospect + whatever else.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
It's not such a bad idea if they go about it the right way. Move out Nash, Brass, Staal Girardi. Get some prospects and picks or young guys who can step in. But very tough to do.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
It's not such a bad idea if they go about it the right way. Move out Nash, Brass, Staal Girardi. Get some prospects and picks or young guys who can step in. But very tough to do.

I just don't seem them being able to move Girardi, outside of a buyout. And thats not happening.

But if Nash, Staal, Klein and Stepan/Brassard are moved, even with money retained on Nash and Staal, it could be possible.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I don't think Stamkos is far fetched at all. We can all agree that the Rangers have signed way too many fading stars in the past. What makes this different? Stamkos is 26 and the maximum they can offer him is 7 years. From a career perspective, the timing is perfect. From a cash perspective, The Garden has the resources to offer him a ridiculously large payment upfront and bonus dollars vs. contract dollars for as long as they are comfortable. From a retooling perspective, there would be teams lined up to take Brassard's contract off of their hands and help strengthen other positions. 40 goal scorers don't grow on trees.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I wonder if the expansion draft has anything to do with why they signed this kid to an AHL contract.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I wonder if the expansion draft has anything to do with why they signed this kid to an AHL contract.

It really doesn't make a difference, if what we're hearing about "pro seasons" is correct.

Next season would be his first pro season regardless, so he is 99.95% exempt from the expansion draft anyway.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I don't get it everyone wants to dump the entire team so we can get a elite 1C and build around him..
If we sign stamkos and trade brass or step we can get assets to help the defense and we can get that 1C who is around the same age as the majority of our core. Stamkos is 26. He's not 29or30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad