Speculation: Offseason thread #2: We don't use Roman Numerals in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
With all the open contact slots I would have preferred an NHL deal. He would have gotten a 2 year ELC right?

May be they want to see him at the prospects camp at the end of this month for one more viewing before offering the ELC or see how he does the first half of the year in Hartford then offer him the 1 year ELC that starts for the 2017-18 season in January.

glees68

Penn State
Dec 20, 2008
Pittsburgh
With all the open contact slots I would have preferred an NHL deal. He would have gotten a 2 year ELC right?

May be they want to see him at the prospects camp at the end of this month for one more viewing before offering the ELC or see how he does the first half of the year in Hartford then offer him the 1 year ELC that starts for the 2017-18 season.

Yeah, I think he will still get an ELC eventually. I assume they're just trying to keep as many of the 50 contract slots open as possible to see how the summer goes.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Rangers will likely give him an ELC. They're probably just waiting to see how the summer shakedown goes.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Now we just gotta wait for Smith to get signed.

Right now, I believe he's recovering from his shoulder injury. Wonder if the Rangers will do the same thing with him (He signs with Hartford and then gets ELC later). Or if he'll recover late enough that they'll be moving people to ELCs by then.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This is why Hank is a beast.

I'm totally down for Yakupov. He may be disappointing so far, but he has a ton of talent. He's young enough that he could turn it around. A 3rd line with Yak and Buchnevich as a the wings would be something.

I like the Yakupov idea especially if he's a throw in.

Klein for Yak + a 2nd.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I disagree. How would you value Hank as far as a trade scenario goes?

Propose it on the main boards. Go ahead.

I FRIGGIN DARE YOU :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The fans in TO would literally riot and burn the CN Tower to the ground if they made that trade.

I literally use the word literally here because it's literally true.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I may be reading too much into this, but given the number of contract slots available, I wonder if this signals a shift in philosophy for the Rangers.

In the past with guys like Kantor and Donnay who went undrafted, had some intriguing attributes, but were clearly high risks to ever amount to anything, they signed them to ELCs to lock them up, and then saw how they developed (or did not), despite the fact that they had far fewer contract slots available in those offseasons. Here, you've got a guy who's got some intriguing upside, but also things he really needs to work on, who is arguably a BETTER risk than either of the two I named, and they give him what appears to be an AHL show-me deal, despite having MORE room to give him an NHL contract than they did the years they signed Donnay, Kantor, etc. Perhaps I'm wrong, but this sure seems a different M.O. than we saw from the front office under Slats...

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Hank is already back on the ice training in Sweden with a few guys from Frolunda. Video below for those interested.

https://video-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v...=2a09d2a0497a007d56bf7ff47a20531e&oe=576430C6

Curious how many other players are already preparing hard in the offseason for next year.

with the exception of guys nursing injuries or had surgery, the answer better be all of them. our last game was 2 months ago, thats plenty of time off before getting back into things

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I may be reading too much into this, but given the number of contract slots available, I wonder if this signals a shift in philosophy for the Rangers.

In the past with guys like Kantor and Donnay who went undrafted, had some intriguing attributes, but were clearly high risks to ever amount to anything, they signed them to ELCs to lock them up, and then saw how they developed (or did not), despite the fact that they had far fewer contract slots available in those offseasons. Here, you've got a guy who's got some intriguing upside, but also things he really needs to work on, who is arguably a BETTER risk than either of the two I named, and they give him what appears to be an AHL show-me deal, despite having MORE room to give him an NHL contract than they did the years they signed Donnay, Kantor, etc. Perhaps I'm wrong, but this sure seems a different M.O. than we saw from the front office under Slats...

Good perspective. This makes sense -- they probably don't want to run into situations that they have to throw other players away to fit guys, especially if you have the ability to give the guy an AHL contract

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

I think it does indicate a shift in philosophy. Prob with the goal of putting as many hooks in the water as possible.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
its possibly a shift but we've signed other guys to AHL deals before...he didn't get a NHL deal from anyone else so who knows how highly teams think of him. sure seems like a good pickup from what we know...

not wasting contract spots is good but there is also risk. if he comes to traverse city and plays well another team could swoop in and steal him

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

I think competition dictates whether these players get an AHL or NHL deal, more than anything else. If some other team had been willing to give him an ELC, then the Rangers would have had to either match that or let him go. The demand wasn't that high, so he got an AHL deal.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think competition dictates whether these players get an AHL or NHL deal, more than anything else. If some other team had been willing to give him an ELC, then the Rangers would have had to either match that or let him go. The demand wasn't that high, so he got an AHL deal.

You may well be right – as I said, I may be reading too much into it.

But by the same token, do we really think there was much demand for Troy Donnay...?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Here's an original thought...

Nash to San Jose for Patrick Marleau (Age 36, 25 goals last year, 1 year left at $6.666MM) + young player (perhaps Jeremy Roy or Julius Bergman) or high draft choice(s). Marleau doesn't like DeBoer and wants out of San Jose but can still score goals. Nash could play with buddy Thornton. Rangers get sweetners plus shed 2 years on Nash's contract for one year of Marleau. Anyone game?

Last edited:

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY

Nash to San Jose for Patrick Marleau (Age 36, 25 goals last year, 1 year left at $6.666MM) + young player or high draft choice. Marleau doesn't like DeBoer and wants out of San Jose but can still score goals. Nash could play with buddy Thornton. Rangers get sweetners plus shed 2 years on Nash's contract for one year of Marleau. Anyone game?

We get top prospect and high pick that would be worth it..

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

Nash to San Jose for Patrick Marleau (Age 36, 25 goals last year, 1 year left at $6.666MM) + young player or high draft choice. Marleau doesn't like DeBoer and wants out of San Jose but can still score goals. Nash could play with buddy Thornton. Rangers get sweetners plus shed 2 years on Nash's contract for one year of Marleau. Anyone game?

where was it said that Marleau doesn't like DeBoer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $865.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark