Speculation: Offseason thread #2: We don't use Roman Numerals in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Here's an original thought...

Nash to San Jose for Patrick Marleau (Age 36, 25 goals last year, 1 year left at $6.666MM) + young player (perhaps Jeremy Roy or Julius Bergman) or high draft choice(s). Marleau doesn't like DeBoer and wants out of San Jose but can still score goals. Nash could play with buddy Thornton. Rangers get sweetners plus shed 2 years on Nash's contract for one year of Marleau. Anyone game?

I'd be ok with that if that's what they'd offer.

Marleau was displeased about being moved down to the 3rd line center right? Roy and Bergman are both good prospects. Pat McNally is also another good prospect. LD from Harvard with good offensive skills. Only issue is he's a huge isles fan (he's one of my good friends from high school)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Think it makes a lot more sense for SJ to find a way to get Marleau to buy in, and push hard next season for the cup.

Thornton, Marleau, Burns all have contracts that expire at the end of next season.

I think Nash to SJ makes a ton of sense, but I think if it's explored, it should be without Marleau coming back to NYR.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Also in that Maple Leafs proposal, why would you take Tkachuk over Matthews? Tkachuk looks like he could be a good one, but Matthews is the class of this draft. I watch him play and I see Toews with maybe even more offensive upside.

I'd take Laine. This franchise has never drafted an elite goal scoree. Best we did was Gilbert.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Think it makes a lot more sense for SJ to find a way to get Marleau to buy in, and push hard next season for the cup.

Thornton, Marleau, Burns all have contracts that expire at the end of next season.

I think Nash to SJ makes a ton of sense, but I think if it's explored, it should be without Marleau coming back to NYR.

They'll ship out youngins for another chance at a cup then. Let's send them Nash for Donskoi/Hertl and a 1st!

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I'd take Laine. This franchise has never drafted an elite goal scoree. Best we did was Gilbert.

Best we ever did was Gilbert? Are you saying that in a bemoaning way? He's a hall of famer. Implying that Laine would immediately jump Gilbert in that comparison is insane. Gilbert scored over 1,000 points.

I think Laine will be good, but I don't see him as the next Ovechkin that he clearly sees himself as.

An Elite #1C is the most important building block, that's what Matthews will be. He won't be McDavid, but I see him as a better Toews. All around solid, strong skater, good shot. He's going to be better than Eichel IMO.

Last edited:

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Best we ever did was Gilbert? Are you saying that in a bemoaning way? He's a hall of famer.

An Elite #1C is the most important building block, that's what Matthews will be. He won't be McDavid, but I see him as a better Toews. All around solid, strong skater, good shot. He's going to be better than Eichel IMO.

Nah Gilbert is amazing of course. Just the fact that it was, what, 40-50 years ago?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Marleau was the 14th oldest forward to play more than 20 games last year. Even better he'd want to play center in the top 6, and he would, at 37 years old, September when he is likely in the top 10 of oldest forwards still playing.

At least Nash at wing in the top 6 still makes some sense.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Marleau was the 14th oldest forward to play more than 20 games last year. Even better he'd want to play center in the top 6, and he would, at 37 years old, September when he is likely in the top 10 of oldest forwards still playing.

At least Nash at wing in the top 6 still makes some sense.

That's good, he will enjoy that top 6 spot on his new team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad