Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Crazy trade idea..

Carolina moves Lindholm or Hanifin to the Flames in a deal involving Hamilton

Carolina then flips Hamilton to us in a deal involving Puljujarvi/10th overall.
That's either not crazy at all or just crazy enough to make sense.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
wait, seriously ?
Yeah. It was brought up when Weber was still with Nashville and there was a lot of media and fan speculation the Oilers wanted to trade for him. I said 2013 in my other post but I think it was 2014 and then again in 2015, because Draisaitl was talked about as part of a possible return.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
We need secondary scoring and depth more than a right handed dman. McDavid will still need to do it all on his own :(

Considering last season we couldn't even make a single breakout pass... does it matter? We'd gain control in our zone and rim it around the boards or made a terrible half-assed passed into the NZ that led to a turnover. Only Nurse could skate it out of the zone...

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Considering last season we couldn't even make a single breakout pass... does it matter? We'd gain control in our zone and rim it around the boards or made a terrible half-assed passed into the NZ that led to a turnover. Only Nurse could skate it out of the zone...
Let's be honest guys we need a lot.

Reactions: Aerrol

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Crazy trade idea..

Carolina moves Lindholm or Hanifin to the Flames in a deal involving Hamilton

Carolina then flips Hamilton to us in a deal involving Puljujarvi/10th overall.

Dougie is one of the premiere RHD in the league, on a very palatable contract. There's no way Treliving would give him up for a 40 point second line center or a defenceman who just miiiight be as good as Hamilton in untold years.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Don't you mean fortunately? There's nothing remotely interesting on that roster (Pacioretty is not worth the overpay)

Fortunately, yes.

Montreal has precious few pieces I’d be at all interested in. After Gallagher and Lekohnen there’s almost nothing left that I want.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Chicago and Washington had none and Pittsburgh had some real bargain contracts from players outperoming them as well . The point being there was no reasoning to add cap space for 2 years on a veteran 7th dman that has no hit on any teams cap if sent down . take that into account and the 700 k that Cagg and Benning were overpaid we could bring back Maroon at 3.5 per year , just no foresight in chia no bargains just in the now type gm .
Arguing Chicago had no dead cap is a losing argument. You're talking about a team that gave away Teuvo Teravainen to clear Bryan Bickell's salary and left TVR exposed to Vegas to clear Marcus Kruger's salary. They've got Marian Hossa's salary still on payroll for the next few years as well. They're the dead cap capital of the NHL, they just pay quality assets to get some other team to foot the bill.

Agreed the Gryba buyout is a curious one right now, but bring up the Pouliot one seems a bit against the point you seem to be trying to make considering his salary next season would've negated whatever cap space we would've had available.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I understand that secondary scoring is important but ummm who would get the puck to our forwards?
A sound transition game would do wonders, adding an offensive dman and helps way more than secondary scoring
Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse, Sekera

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Arguing Chicago had no dead cap is a losing argument. You're talking about a team that gave away Teuvo Teravainen to clear Bryan Bickell's salary and left TVR exposed to Vegas to clear Marcus Kruger's salary. They've got Marian Hossa's salary still on payroll for the next few years as well. They're the dead cap capital of the NHL, they just pay quality assets to get some other team to foot the bill.

Agreed the Gryba buyout is a curious one right now, but bring up the Pouliot one seems a bit against the point you seem to be trying to make considering his salary next season would've negated whatever cap space we would've had available.

I haven't followed the full argument, but re: Pouliot the main argument used is: why didn't we buy him out this season? We had the space last season. Same idea as Eberle - our cap restriction hits this summer, not last. Delaying a buyout a year later makes the penalty shorter. Plus I still think they could have just retained and traded him for next to nothing, as Pouliot was still an NHL level player, if an infuriating one.

Not going to get into the merits of it yet again but just thought I'd pipe up with that bit.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Chiarelli needs to stop selling low.
He did it with Hall (arguable)...then Eberle...and will likely do the same with Lucic.

Hall I agree he should of got another piece but if hadn't made the trade I do not see us making the playoffs last year. Larsson is a beast and is undervalue on here base on point production .

Eberle was as useless as a tit on a bull the last year he was here . Dollar value base on points he about equal as Strome who everyone bashes . How do you sell low on a free asset ? Lucie was signed as a UFA if he trades him and gets any value back he turned a profit

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Lebowski

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Chia will overpay for his guy. Money, trade assets, term, NMC, whatever. If we don't have them, it means that he valued them less.

*Who* he overpaid is as important *how much* he overpays. If he chose the right guy to overpay (Hamilton, Subban, Jones, maybe even Dumba or Barrie) he wouldn't have to trade for a dman over and over again. Overpay once and be done with it. Instead, we're still searching.

Did you not see the Oilers defence 3 years ago ? We need 4 top 4 D men . Nurse and Klefbom has grown some since then . Larsson was a trade , Sekera a UFA signing . Now with Nurse development he is able to move another D and the 10th OA if it the right D

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The way this goalie market is unfolding, I have a feeling that rumor about Talbot may have some weight to it. Buffalo, NYI and Carolina are teams with pieces we would have some interest in--Isles, picks mainly--and they're all in the market for a starting goaltender. It may be an unpopular option, but when guys in their mid 20s like Mrazek and Lehner are reportedly on the UFA market July 1, they may seem like a more realistic long-term option than a goaltender poised to his UFA at age 32.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I haven't followed the full argument, but re: Pouliot the main argument used is: why didn't we buy him out this season? We had the space last season. Same idea as Eberle - our cap restriction hits this summer, not last. Delaying a buyout a year later makes the penalty shorter. Plus I still think they could have just retained and traded him for next to nothing, as Pouliot was still an NHL level player, if an infuriating one.

Not going to get into the merits of it yet again but just thought I'd pipe up with that bit.
Yeah, I don't disagree with that. I think the infuriating player part may have had a little more of an influence into that decision than we were privy to. I think if there was any market for him at half his salary here, he would've been traded in an instant.

Reactions: Aerrol

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Erik Gryba, the gift that keeps on giving... we're going to be dealing with repercussions of having this player on the team for 5 full seasons after we first traded for him.

Never should have traded for the player. Never should have signed him to a PTO and a subsequent 1 year deal the following season. DEFINITELY never should have signed him to a 2 year deal last summer after he'd lost his spot 2 consecutive seasons.

And now one season later we inexplicably buy him out instead of just burying him in the minors this upcoming season for no cap penalty? So not only do we have a 300k penalty against us that we can't really afford to have this season, the penalty carries over to next season?

It is astounding how this organization can seemingly misstep at every single possible opportunity.

In response to the inane defense of "we need that spot for the 50 roster limit" maybe this organization shouldn't have signed no future scrubs like Colin Larkin?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Eberle was traded because he wanted out and it showed in his play. The guy quit on the team, we waited years to see the Eberle magic from the WJCH and that magic wasn’t there, a real effort wasn’t even there.

Buying out Pouliot was just stupid.

Last season we had “cap space” this year we’ll have “contract space”.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Erik Gryba, the gift that keeps on giving...

Never should have traded for the player. Never should have signed him to a PTO and a subsequent 1 year deal the following season. DEFINITELY never should have signed him to a 2 year deal last summer after he'd lost his spot.

And now one season later we inexplicably buy him out instead of just burying him in the minors this upcoming season for no cap penalty? So not only do we have a 300k penalty against us that we can't really afford to have this season, the penalty carries over to next season?

It is astounding how this organization can seemingly misstep at every single possible opportunity.

In response to the inane defense of "we need that spot for the 50 roster limit" maybe this organization shouldn't have signed no future scrubs like Colin Larkin?
But we now have an extra contract space to sign Dylan Larkin’s 3rd cousin. Doesn’t matter that he’s a water boy, he has great genes.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
wait, seriously ?

If I remember i read that "their families knew each other" ....but here is a brief synoposis to get you up to speed.

-Shea Weber is born to his mother Tracy (a hair dresser) and father James (a sawmill worker) in Siccamous British Columbia.
-meanwhile....some 760KM away...Darryll Katz was graduating from law school and began to work at a local firm.

-Darryll Katz was so successful in corporate law he decided to switch it up and buy an American pharmacy chain with his father. They open the first "Medicine Shoppe" store in Canada. and Katz sets up an elaborate holding company scheme. He also marries the daughter of a national mining/heavy construction magnate.
-Meanwhile Shea Weber is trying to work his way into Bantam in the BC Amateur Hockey Association in Siccamous. Can't decide if he wants to play defense or not.

-Shea Weber goes undrafted in the WHL but makes the Kelowna protected list. He also makes junior B and goes on a tear to win the Kooteney International Junior Hockey League championship and the Western Canada Keystone Cup with the Siccamous Eagles. They went 43-5-1.
-during this time Darryll Katz was taking a brief siesta between the purchase of Minnesota-based Snyders Drug Store and the aggressive takeover of U.S.-based Drug Emporium big-box discount chain.

-Now in basically his sophomore season with the Kelowna rockets Shea Weber established his trademark physical presence and helped the team win the Ed Chynoweth cup and nearly won the Memorial Cup itself. Weber would go on to get drafted by the Nashville Predators 49th overall.
-Katz's cool new regional chain fails in Minnesota so he sells it to Walgreens.. boring.

-now bored with his foray into international corporate business Darryll decides to drop a cool 145 on the Edmonton Oilers.
-Shea Weber is named to the Western Conference roster for the 2007 NHL "young stars" game.

etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad