Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Erik Gryba, the gift that keeps on giving... we're going to be dealing with repercussions of having this player on the team for 5 full seasons after we first traded for him.

Never should have traded for the player. Never should have signed him to a PTO and a subsequent 1 year deal the following season. DEFINITELY never should have signed him to a 2 year deal last summer after he'd lost his spot 2 consecutive seasons.

And now one season later we inexplicably buy him out instead of just burying him in the minors this upcoming season for no cap penalty? So not only do we have a 300k penalty against us that we can't really afford to have this season, the penalty carries over to next season?

It is astounding how this organization can seemingly misstep at every single possible opportunity.

In response to the inane defense of "we need that spot for the 50 roster limit" maybe this organization shouldn't have signed no future scrubs like Colin Larkin?

Maybe they worked out a deal where Chia got a 10% cut of his earnings...

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
If I remember i read that "their families knew each other" ....but here is a brief synoposis to get you up to speed.

-Shea Weber is born to his mother Tracy (a hair dresser) and father James (a sawmill worker) in Siccamous British Columbia.
-meanwhile....some 760KM away...Darryll Katz was graduating from law school and began to work at a local firm.

-Darryll Katz was so successful in corporate law he decided to switch it up and buy an American pharmacy chain with his father. They open the first "Medicine Shoppe" store in Canada. and Katz sets up an elaborate holding company scheme. He also marries the daughter of a national mining/heavy construction magnate.
-Meanwhile Shea Weber is trying to work his way into Bantam in the BC Amateur Hockey Association in Siccamous. Can't decide if he wants to play defense or not.

-Shea Weber goes undrafted in the WHL but makes the Kelowna protected list. He also makes junior B and goes on a tear to win the Kooteney International Junior Hockey League championship and the Western Canada Keystone Cup with the Siccamous Eagles. They went 43-5-1.
-during this time Darryll Katz was taking a brief siesta between the purchase of Minnesota-based Snyders Drug Store and the aggressive takeover of U.S.-based Drug Emporium big-box discount chain.

-Now in basically his sophomore season with the Kelowna rockets Shea Weber established his trademark physical presence and helped the team win the Ed Chynoweth cup and nearly won the Memorial Cup itself. Weber would go on to get drafted by the Nashville Predators 49th overall.
-Katz's cool new regional chain fails in Minnesota so he sells it to Walgreens.. boring.

-now bored with his foray into international corporate business Darryll decides to drop a cool 145 on the Edmonton Oilers.
-Shea Weber is named to the Western Conference roster for the 2007 NHL "young stars" game.

etc.

lol I read that all and enjoyed it quite a bit, thank you good sir :)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hall I agree he should of got another piece but if hadn't made the trade I do not see us making the playoffs last year. Larsson is a beast and is undervalue on here base on point production .

For me this doesn't have anything to do with Larsson's ability as a shutdown defender. I like Larsson just fine. The point for me is that Chia still overpaid to get Larsson partially because he sold Hall at a low. He also didnt bother to try and drive up interest for Hall by shopping him League wide...I mean what competent GM does that?

Do you disagree with that?

Eberle was as useless as a tit on a bull the last year he was here . Dollar value base on points he about equal as Strome who everyone bashes . How do you sell low on a free asset ? Lucie was signed as a UFA if he trades him and gets any value back he turned a profit

So you are agreeing with me that Chia once again traded a player at his lowest value. My position on this was to let Eberle recover (which he did) and then trade him.
No...Chia insisted on selling low and got Strome. You seem to be saying that because Eberle had a bad year the fact that they didnt maximize his value in a trade is fine. Thats the entirely wrong way to look at it IMO.
Again...I like Strome just fine (he grew on me over time) but he is not equal value to Eberle.

As for Lucic...approaching this from the perspective that he didnt cost anything so therefore getting little in return is okay is once again exactly the wrong way to look at this.
If you have an asset (regardless of how you got it) you need to maximize what you get in return. Not throw your hands up and say..."oh well, easy come easy go."

So I strongly disagree with your approach here.

So despite all of these negatives and more I am still willing to cut Chia some slack because I have no idea if Katz and his Red Wine Summit are meddling in the background.

I am trying to remain positive here and its pissing me off thinking about it to be honest. :laugh:

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
:laugh:

Of course

Care to offer anything of value to a discussion. All the assistants hired previously were TMac decisions and so are these by all indications. Or else Chia decided to be nice and hire TMac’s friends.

You still can’t explain how throwing away cap space is a good thing.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
For me this doesn't have anything to do with Larsson's ability as a shutdown defender. I like Larsson just fine. The point for me is that Chia still overpaid to get Larsson partially because he sold Hall at a low. He also didnt bother to try and drive up interest for Hall by shopping him League wide...I mean what competent GM does that?

Do you disagree with that?

So you are agreeing with me that Chia once again traded a player at his lowest value. My position on this was to let Eberle recover (which he did) and then trade him.
No...Chia insisted on selling low and got Strome. You seem to be saying that because Eberle had a bad year the fact that they didnt maximize his value in a trade is fine. Thats the entirely wrong way to look at it IMO.
Again...I like Strome just fine but he is not equal value to Eberle.

As for Lucic...approaching this from the perspective that he didnt cost anything so therefore getting little in return is okay is once again exactly the wrong way to look at this.
If you have an asset (regardless of how you got it) you need to maximize what you get in return. Not throw your hands up and say..."oh well, easy come easy go."

So I strongly disagree with your approach here.

So despite all of these negatives and more I am still willing to cut Chia some slack because I have no idea if Katz and his Red Wine Summit are meddling in the background.

I am trying to remain positive here and its pissing me off thinking about it to be honest. :laugh:

Eberle would not have recovered here. He had his numbers propped up by a hot rookie who was over a PPG almost all season and Eberle benefitted greatly from it while still putting up numbers below his pay grade and expectations.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Eberle would not have recovered here. He had his numbers propped up by a hot rookie who was over a PPG almost all season and Eberle benefitted greatly from it while still putting up numbers below his pay grade and expectations.

You dont know that.
Eberle was embarrassed by his season....he said as much in post season interviews.
As a pro I was willing to bet that he would bounce back. I stand by that.
IMO it was an emotional decision to dump Eberle.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

At this point I'm convinced that Chia is just one of those guys that may be intelligent, but just doesn't have a head for money or budgeting. It happens.

Maybe he's like Trudeau and thinks that budgets will balance themselves, and it'll all magically work out because he wants what he wants and the rest is just details?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You dont know that.
Eberle was embarrassed by his season....he said as much in post season interviews.

He had two poor seasons in a row. The second on concluded with him being a complete no show in the playoffs. As a pro he would have shown some heart in the playoffs.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
At this point I'm convinced that Chia is just one of those guys that may be intelligent, but just doesn't have a head for money or budgeting. It happens.

Maybe he's like Trudeau and thinks that budgets will balance themselves, and it'll all magically work out because he wants what he wants and the rest is just details?

Was Chia raised as a spoiled trust fund child? You could be on to something.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Care to offer anything of value to a discussion. All the assistants hired previously were TMac decisions and so are these by all indications. Or else Chia decided to be nice and hire TMac’s friends.

I did explain it, you just didn't like the answer.

You and your crew that strictly spew negativity are just going to be filling up ignore lists. You can't even go on HF Oil anymore without seeing this crap.

I swear Chia could trade the 10th overall for Subban and you would still b**** about it. Go for a walk or something

Reactions: McBooya42

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You dont know that.
Do you think Lucic will bounce back if given a chance?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

You just described my motto to life. ;)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I did explain it, you just didn't like the answer.

You and your crew that strictly spew negativity are just going to be filling up ignore lists. You can't even go on HF Oil anymore without seeing this crap.

I swear Chia could trade the 10th overall for Subban and you would still b**** about it. Go for a walk or something

“My crew” hahaha I’ve been labeled as one of the biggest chia lovers all year. Explain how an empty roster spot is more valuable than cap space when we have so very little cap room this year. We have tons of roster spots.

You’re the one getting upset, going off topic, attacking posters instead of addressing posts while insisting that throwing away 300k in cap space is a good move.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm hoping Chia doesn't get desperate and do something like 10th overall for Tanev.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

I think people are thinking Chia is solely responsible for a lot more than he actually is. These teams these days have multiple people employed who's specific job is studying and suggesting balances around the cap.

Now, Chia has the final say in most things, and pulls the trigger, but if you think they sit him in a room and he's gotta figure all this shit out himself and isn't fed any information from anyone whatsoever, you're wrong.

Now, I know stating anything even half reasonable about Chia on here essentially labels you as "one of those guys", so just let it be known, I still think he's done a piss poor job.

Last edited:
Reactions: EagerPug

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
“My crew” hahaha I’ve been labeled as one of the biggest chia lovers all year. Explain how an empty roster spot is more valuable than cap space when we have so very little cap room this year. We have tons of roster spots.

You’re the one getting upset, going off topic, attacking posters instead of addressing posts while insisting that throwing away 300k in cap space is a good move.
That's your definition of "attacking posters"?

You and a few others have literally been ranting about 300K all day.

Goes to trade proposals board to see if there is any legit rumors out there... nope, just see the same crew b****** about Gryba. Does it not get exhausting?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That's your definition of "attacking posters"?

You and a few others have literally been ranting about 300K all day.

Goes to trade proposals board to see if there is any legit rumors out there... nope, just see the same crew b****** about Gryba. Does it not get exhausting?

Still can’t address the post, only insist on talking about posters.

Maybe go for a walk if you’re so upset that you can’t explain how lowering our cap by 300k is a good thing.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Arguing Chicago had no dead cap is a losing argument. You're talking about a team that gave away Teuvo Teravainen to clear Bryan Bickell's salary and left TVR exposed to Vegas to clear Marcus Kruger's salary. They've got Marian Hossa's salary still on payroll for the next few years as well. They're the dead cap capital of the NHL, they just pay quality assets to get some other team to foot the bill.

Agreed the Gryba buyout is a curious one right now, but bring up the Pouliot one seems a bit against the point you seem to be trying to make considering his salary next season would've negated whatever cap space we would've had available.
So what is your point they gave away prospects and won 3 cups. What they did not do was give away cap space on buyouts. And TVR and Hossa are after Cup wins and Hossa is ltir which has no effect . Chia spends like a drunken sailor and overpays way to much . Oilers have 2 deals on the team signed by chia that are performance better then cap hit . Rattie and Kharia

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
So what is your point they gave away prospects and won 3 cups. What they did not do was give away cap space on buyouts. And TVR and Hossa are after Cup wins and Hossa is ltir which has no effect . Chia spends like a drunken sailor and overpays way to much . Oilers have 2 deals on the team signed buy chis that are performance better then cap hit . Rattie and Kharia

I take 16-17 Sekera,Talbot and Lucic's salaries any day of the week.

This past season looks bad, and they all look like brutal overpays because of that. But if those 3 rebound, we are right back in the hunt.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Still can’t address the post, only insist on talking about posters.

Maybe go for a walk if you’re so upset that you can’t explain how lowering our cap by 300k is a good thing.
Are you unable to read?

I said that it creates a roster spot, as well allows our prospects to have more ice-time in Bakersfield.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think people are thinking Chia is solely responsible for a lot more than he actually is. These teams these days have multiple people employed who's specific job is studying and suggesting balances around the cap.

Now, Chia has the final say in most things, and pulls the trigger, but if you think they sit him in a room and he's gotta figure all this **** out himself and isn't fed any information from anyone whatsoever, you're wrong.

Now, I know stating anything even half reasonable about Chia on here essentially labels you as "one of those guys", so just let it be known, I still think he's done a piss poor job.

He is the General Manager and the President of Hockey Operations. I’ll give him the benefit at the draft and say those choices especially the 2-7th round picks aren’t really on him. But decisions like buying out players, trades and signing free agents are 100% him except the Griffin Reinhart deal, I give him a smidge of an exemption there as he was brand new on the job and the deal had probably been basically worked out before he was hired.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Are you unable to read?

I said that it creates a roster spot, as well allows our prospects to have more ice-time in Bakersfield.

How do we need the roster space? Pretty sure we have lots of roster space. Not to mention that he can be loaned out to another team or even sent to the ECHL. Him taking roster space from someone in the AHL isn’t an issue at all in reality. There simply is no good reason to throw away cap space for the next two seasons.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He had two poor seasons in a row. The second on concluded with him being a complete no show in the playoffs. As a pro he would have shown some heart in the playoffs.

Thats false.

Historically Eberle was a 0.7 ppg player. The year prior to season he was traded he was a 0.68 ppg player.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
How do we need the roster space? Pretty sure we have lots of roster space. Not to mention that he can be loaned out to another team or even sent to the ECHL. Him taking roster space from someone in the AHL isn’t an issue at all in reality. There simply is no good reason to throw away cap space for the next two seasons.
Again, you wanted an answer. I gave you an answer.

You have no idea how many players Chia will be adding this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->