Speculation: Offseason Roster Building Thread 4 - All Your Blackhawks Are Belong To Us

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Staal's value as an imposing physical force (both offensively and defensively) is tough to quantify. The impact is easier to see on defense, but it's tough to pin a positive stats on effectively clearing space in the o-zone.

If Staal had Aho's brain and hands then he would be the Lebron James of the NHL. Because he lacks finish and crafty playmaking ability his offensive presence with the puck can get frustrating to watch.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
If Staal had Aho's brain and hands then he would be the Lebron James of the NHL. Because he lacks finish and crafty playmaking ability his offensive presence with the puck can get frustrating to watch.

Or if Aho had Staal's size.

Staal certainly has hands of stone. I don't think that's even debatable. There are times that I think he'd be just as productive with a broom as he is with a hockey stick. He is very sound defensively and isn't a detriment on offense, he just has no touch. His size makes him strong on the puck. What I wish he would do is to use that big body of his to get in front of the goal more and play a bit more physical. He plays like he's the size of Aho.

Still earns his paycheck though (well, if anybody on the face of the earth earns $6M).

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Or if Aho had Staal's size.

Staal certainly has hands of stone. I don't think that's even debatable. There are times that I think he'd be just as productive with a broom as he is with a hockey stick. He is very sound defensively and isn't a detriment on offense, he just has no touch. His size makes him strong on the puck. What I wish he would do is to use that big body of his to get in front of the goal more and play a bit more physical. He plays like he's the size of Aho.

Still earns his paycheck though (well, if anybody on the face of the earth earns $6M).

A broom would be incredibly productive. Especially if it had black bristles. Goalies would never be able to figure out where the puck was coming from.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
broom broom aho knows what time it is

:laugh: What's funny is that we used to play broom ball in college, actually had an official dorm league for it. A lot of other guys couldn't skate and there were a number of outdoor rinks on campus so the game was pretty popular. It was also a lot less formal than the inter-mural hockey leagues I played in (and thus, a bit dirtier).

It wasn't like what you see on youtube these days with indoor rinks, little official mini brooms, helmets and pads. You bought your own broom, used gobs of duct tape to make it solid and heavy and it was played on outdoor rinks with snowbanks. I grew up in a very northern climate so knowing how to walk, run, etc.. on slick outdoor surfaces was 2nd nature to me. Lots of fun and surprisingly not as many serious injuries as I would have expected.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
A broom would be incredibly productive. Especially if it had black bristles. Goalies would never be able to figure out where the puck was coming from.

Please--you should use the brooms with white bristles, so it would blend into the ice and the goalie wouldn't be able to pick up on the spin or what direction it is coming off the broom.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
What do you all think about the possibility of trading for Zetterberg as a temporary #1C? With Detroit's cap issues and their low probability of being a playoff contender for the next couple of years, maybe they would be open to moving Zetterberg. His Cap hit is just north of $6M for the next four seasons, but the salary is only high this year at $7M and then $3.5M next year and only $1M for the last two years. Even at 36, he put in 68 points last year and would easily be our best center. Also, given his age and Detroit's cap situation, I would think the assets required to trade for him wouldn't be too bad a loss.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
What do you all think about the possibility of trading for Zetterberg as a temporary #1C? With Detroit's cap issues and their low probability of being a playoff contender for the next couple of years, maybe they would be open to moving Zetterberg. His Cap hit is just north of $6M for the next four seasons, but the salary is only high this year at $7M and then $3.5M next year and only $1M for the last two years. Even at 36, he put in 68 points last year and would easily be our best center. Also, given his age and Detroit's cap situation, I would think the assets required to trade for him wouldn't be too bad a loss.

I don't think Detroit will move Zetterberg unless he requests it. And if Zetterberg wants out, I think he's going to request a trade for a last couple of shots at the Cup. Doubtful he ends up traded, doubtful if traded he wants to go to Carolina.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I would LOVE to get Zetterberg, even at his age particularly with that salary. Unfortunately, I can't see the Wings, who are extremely weak at center trading him. I also think the cost would be more than we think because there would be at least a dozen or more teams that could fairly easily take him on. But if there were a deal to be made, sign me up.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I would LOVE to get Zetterberg, even at his age particularly with that salary. Unfortunately, I can't see the Wings, who are extremely weak at center trading him. I also think the cost would be more than we think because there would be at least a dozen or more teams that could fairly easily take him on. But if there were a deal to be made, sign me up.

Agreed, I'd take Zetterberg at his age and with his contract in a heartbeat. His actual salary drops to $3.5 million next year and $1 million for the two years after.

If the Wings were going full rebuild I'd give up a hefty sack of futures. I suppose it is possible that Zetterberg likes Peters and would agree to a trade. He is a prime candidate for retiring early or developing a mysterious, debilitating rash similar to Hossa's "I only make $1 million per year"-itis. The fit would have to be right.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Although the Wings usually treat players like Zetterburg with respect, they legally can trade him anywhere because I don't think he has any sort of NTC/NMC. Like I said, I don't see him being traded, but if they decided to completely rebuild and/or if he requested a trade, they could trade him to any team. I'm sure they'd try to honor any requests he had though.

Of course, that would likely never happen with PK still owning the Canes. I realize Illitch has passed away, but his wife and son still own/run the team and if PK's own kids hate him, I'd imagine Illitch's wife and son hate PK also. :laugh:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Words from Oulu:

Apparent according to discussions with RF it is likely that Kuokkanen will stay in North America. He's fighting over the last roster spots with several other players. He's considered a top class prospect by Canes management and they may want to have him in AHL where he can be called up. So speaketh Aho Sr. today to Finnish hockey outlet.

Meanwhile, Aho Jr. will later today play with Jesse Puljujärvi, Pekka Rinne, Markus Nutivaara, Ville Pokka, Reijo Ruotsalainen, Joni Pitkänen and Janne Niinimaa against Patrik Laine, Mikael Granlund, Julius Honka, Aleksi Saarela, Jari Kurri, Esa Tikkanen, Jere Lehtinen, Teppo Numminen, Jyrki Lumme and Veli-Pekka Ketola today.

Kärpät Alumni vs. Liiga Alumni starts in 18.30 local time or 4 hours from now. Arena seats 15 €, wooden seats 12 €, standing spots 7 €.

You may be able to see the stream in :

http://www.is.fi/jaakiekko/art-2000005321809.html

or

http://www.ruutu.fi/stream/3055709

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Interesting, Aho Sr giving the green light to Kooky playing in the AHL next season. Holy **** is Charlotte going to be loaded, but it also shows just how highly regarded he is as a prospect if the Canes think he could be in the mix for a roster spot to start the season. To be fair, we have yet to really see what he can do with players of similar skill level. Finland was a hot mess at the WJCs last year since their golden year was the year before and the vast majority of the skill level of that team had either moved on to the NHL (Aho, Laine, Poolparty) or was no longer eligible. And even then still had Saarela elect to play for his pro team rather then join the NT for the tournament. He had a solid but inconsistent regular season where he tailed off after the WJC but a dominant OHL playoff.

Center depth for Charlotte is going to be unreal if he has the green light to play for the Checkers next year.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I love the idea of having Kuokkanen, Roy, and Gauthier a couple hours away from Raleigh. You never know how a guy might play and proximity is a key component of opportunity.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006

Kooky is fun, but if we're looking for something that is close to how he pronounces his name, "Quokka" is it. Here is a quokka:

quokka1.jpg

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I love the idea of having Kuokkanen, Roy, and Gauthier a couple hours away from Raleigh. You never know how a guy might play and proximity is a key component of opportunity.

His ELC is Slide-eligible for the 2017-18 season so Canes gotta be sure if they want to play him ten or more games as it will burn a year that otherwise wouldn't burn.

He also has a performance bonus of $132.000 negotiated for this season which I believe to be a Games Played bonus for ten or more games. There may be expectations or vague ideas about how he will be utilized during the season. Had Karpat wanted him to go to Finland, Canes could still call him up to NHL and he would have to come. Things hint at that Kuokkanen may be planned to get some play time up in the N.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad