Speculation: Offseason Roster Building Thread 4 - All Your Blackhawks Are Belong To Us

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
continue from last time.

All of the trade chatter has been around Duchene, but I wonder what is going to shake out of this Tavares situation. If Tavares isn't signed soon then the trade rumors will begin to flow. Francis has been pretty clear that he isn't interested in trading a top-4 guy (Hanifin) for 2 years of Duchene. However, the smoke around Hanifin and what Francis has said might actually fit Tavares a lot better.

1) Canes are interested in a top-line piece, hence the Duchene smoke.
2) Originally LeBrun (or Friedman?) said that if Hanifin would be traded the cost would really hurt and Duchene's 2 years don't fit the bill.
3) Tavares is the same age as Duchene and on a extended contract (which he can sign now) would absolutely fit that bill.
4) Francis said he talked to Karmanos about some expensive options. A Tavares extension would be very expensive.
5) This type of deal would likely create roster space for itself (1-2 forwards going back)

All of this would be assuming that Tavares doesn't sign an extension soon and would actually would want to play in Raleigh.

That's been a suspicion that I've had for a while, but that also said I think the Islanders will be able to get a deal done with JT to make it work. But he's FAR closer to the Jones-Johansen swap type trade (even if we send another top 6 type forward their way) then Duchene would be.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Just curious, how do you guys see your C depth chart?

I see Rask, Staal and Lindholm as guys who are varying degrees of good 2nd line C types or awesome 3rd line C's.
Kruger is one of the best defensive 4C's in the league and can be a shot down 3C also.
Derek Ryan was pretty awesome for you last year.

Also, Aho has talent to play top6 C - probably have to test that.

Seems like quite a few names there when most are clearly natural C's.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Just curious, how do you guys see your C depth chart?

I see Rask, Staal and Lindholm as guys who are varying degrees of good 2nd line C types or awesome 3rd line C's.
Kruger is one of the best defensive 4C's in the league and can be a shot down 3C also.
Derek Ryan was pretty awesome for you last year.

Also, Aho has talent to play top6 C - probably have to test that.

Seems like quite a few names there when most are clearly natural C's.

Staal-Rask-Ryan-Kruger

Though they've talked about possibly starting to ease Aho in at C this season or next. But the flip side of that is we also have Wallmark, Nic Roy, and Poturalski in the AHL this season, and we just drafted Necas.

Lindholm and TT both can play C but they've both looked better at RW.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Man, I would absolutely hate to lose Hanifin, but Tavares is a pretty sure thing to get in a return. I dunno though, I just have this gut feeling that Hanifin is about to turn into a very, very special player, and I would hate to sell low on him. My gut says a deal where we trade Hanifin+ for Tavares (assuming an extension is signed) has a high risk of becoming a Lindros deal where we might have been better off long-term just staying the course given the pieces being moved.

I'd royally hate to see Hanifin + turn into our version of Forsberg-Hextall-Ricci-Duschene and a pick that gets flipped for Roy. Especially for a division rival.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I still believe that Hanifin have the highest ceiling from our group (Slavin, Hanifin, Fleury, Bean, Pesce and Faulk). Bruins give away Dougie way too quick and they will regret it.

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
I still believe that Hanifin have the highest ceiling from our group (Slavin, Hanifin, Fleury, Bean, Pesce and Faulk). Bruins give away Dougie way too quick and they will regret it.

Bruins doing Bruins things

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

I'd be surprised to see Hanifin ever surpass Slavin's game-to-game impact but I suppose that is what makes him potentially available for an elite player.

Bruins gave Hamilton away for a mid-1st. We are talking about a 27 year old (at start of next year) #1C signed to an extended contract. There are few players the Canes could trade away Hanifin for and likely still be better off 5+ years down the line. Tavares is one of them.

I don't think it happens but surely the Canes will be in on him if extension discussions spoil. He is an expensive option which makes the team a heck of a lot better.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I have a feeling that to trade for Tavares would cost way more than just Hanifin IMO

I would love to have him, but we would need to give up a lot for him, and his new cap hit will be over 10 million $ for sure.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Yeah, i doubt they will trade franchise player in the same division.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
They would never trade Tavares in the division and if they did it would cost Hanifin + Rask at the very least. Now, maybe if it's getting close to the deadline and they're out of it, and they're still at an impasse on the contract, then it becomes a little more realistic.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
They would never trade Tavares in the division and if they did it would cost Hanifin + Rask at the very least. Now, maybe if it's getting close to the deadline and they're out of it, and they're still at an impasse on the contract, then it becomes a little more realistic.

I'd do Hanifin + Rask + 1st for Tavares without blinking. But it's a pipe dream. Although if I recall correctly, I do remember Stamkos, after years of speculation, finally signing with the rumored Toronto Maple Leafs just as free agency begun, in glorious fashion. That happened last year, right?

Point is I wouldn't possibly get my hopes up for Tavares or I'd be preparing myself for massive disappointment.

JustJoe2k5

Jun 5, 2006
Honestly, I think this whole Tavares situation is getting blown out of proportion. Likely spearheaded by the Canadian media that is adamant that they're boy would prefer to play in Canada. Obviously, every Canadian-born player would rather be suiting up for Montreal and Toronto than a team in New York or North Carolina. :sarcasm:

I wouldn't be interested in the price it would take to get Tavares. Hard enough to stomach what it was rumored to take to get Duchene. I agree with those above that I think Hanifin is on the cusp of becoming a very special player. Maybe it's foolish optimism.

I'd prefer to just wait and see on Duchene, if Sakic finally blinks and decides to lower his asking price.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
I think the team we have now is probably it:

Teravainen Staal Williams
Aho Rask Lindholm
Skinner Ryan Stempniak
Nordstrom Kruger McGinn

Hanifin Faulk
Slavin Pesce
Fleury van riemsdyk

Darling
Ward

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Hope Ryan has another level to him, that lineup is improved but still a little thin down the middle for offense. Not a lot of scary players to defend there.

I would also put Jooris at 4th line RW. We went after this guy, I don't think we signed him to sit him. If he goes 20 games in and is useless, of course he'll sit but I think he has least the 4th line RW spot written in pencil. Also gives the RW side all righties, something I think Peters likes. We've been unbalanced to the lefties up front for a few years, Williams, Jooris and in a way TVR are no accidents that way.

Last edited:

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
19702453_10209783364757062_6411543006170466465_n.jpg

I made a meme.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
I think the team we have now is probably it:

Teravainen Staal Williams
Aho Rask Lindholm
Skinner Ryan Stempniak
Nordstrom Kruger McGinn

Hanifin Faulk
Slavin Pesce
Fleury van riemsdyk

Darling
Ward

Some people are speculating that youguys might be a trading partner for either Tatar or Athanasiou in Detroit. Either would be a big loss to Detroit, but especially speedy young AA would seem to be attractive in Carolina. Anything to this down there?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Some people are speculating that youguys might be a trading partner for either Tatar or Athanasiou in Detroit. Either would be a big loss to Detroit, but especially speedy young AA would seem to be attractive in Carolina. Anything to this down there?

I haven't heard that and Francis was quoted today as being happy where the team was currently and not having anything in the works, so I'd doubt that it is happening any time soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->