Speculation: Offseason Roster Building Thread 2 - Expansion Boogaloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Caps have $19 million of cap space and only 12 players under contract. Yowzers. And that's with Kuznetsov, Alzner and Grubauer unsigned.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
He's keeping Duchene because he wants a good NHL roster player (left defenseman) as a piece of the deal.

No one is offering that, and allowing Duchene to get one year closer to FA won't make that more likely.

The price will come down, and we'll see if whatever package of picks and prospects RF bids with will win.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Supposedly there was some sort of convo between Sakic and Duchene's agent, and then Duchene's agent promptly walked over and started talking to David Poile.

If they're talking trade with Nashville now, we can probably offer better. Now is RF's chance to get in with a nice take-it-or-leave-it type offer of a 2nd rounder and a couple prospects. At this point Avs would be stupid not to take something like Bean + Kuokkanen and a 2nd.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Probably a good thing that Neal/Marchessault weren't dealt today for a mid/late 1st. Might be available for 2nds tomorrow.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
also gotta wonder what the crap Hextall is doing trading Schenn for a terrible contract in Lehtera and two lotto tickets. I wonder if St. Louis might not be happy to turn around and deal Schenn to somebody like....oh, the Carolina Hurricanes, considering they don't have a ton of cap room. Or maybe we could take Stastny off their hands for cheap.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
For your budget question, NotOpie, I think we're going to try to bare minimum reach the floor considering the pending RFA situation and the unpredictability of which guys we're going to go with long term. That's part of the reason why I think we're going to abstain from UFA shopping unless it's one year deals, which will probably put us out of the hunt for any of the higher profile names. Even the mid tiers.

At the draft party last night I spoke to one of the ticket reps. He said that Ron's budget was about $8 million to $10 million more than he's currently spent. That puts us at about $57 million to $59 million....right where I figured we'd start. We make any sort of noise and I could see us adding a piece at TDL....

Probably a good thing that Neal/Marchessault weren't dealt today for a mid/late 1st. Might be available for 2nds tomorrow.

....and he also asked me what I thought of James Neal as an addition...

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I mean, don't sell low, right? He's a devalued asset right now. Keeping him for another year isn't the worst play.

The public saga was the bad idea, not looking for a premium and deciding not to do anything when it wasn't found.

Compare how Sakic handled the rumors about Duchene to how Francis handled rumors about Hanifin.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Top-3 protected 2018 1st for James Neal. Do you make that deal? With or without an extension? Francis seemed happy with their prospect haul.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Top-3 protected 2018 1st for James Neal. Do you make that deal? With or without an extension? Francis seemed happy with their prospect haul.

With extension it's interesting. Takes a potential deadline deal chip out of the equation to make a push for that playoff bid, but for a full season + extension I think I could get behind that.

Would prefer to deal a prospect though. And I feel like there are some prospects Vegas would like to give them some transition between the current roster and their current draft crop.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Neal would be really nice as a sort of consolation prize, and I don't mean that to demean him or how good he is. I'd just rather have a more dynamic player, even if it's somebody that's not's necessarily part of the long-term outlook. Put a JVR or yes a Duchene on this team and suddenly we've got three complete lines that can all skate, score and play D and that's damn near impossible to match up against.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Neal would be a great add, but I still think the team really needs a top 9 C. Someone like Bonino or Hanzal plus the addition of reliable 20-25g forward like Neal or J Williams would really round out the roster.

Chances of any of that actually happening...nil...but GMRF has to spend what, $7-10M to get to the floor, so something has to give.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm honestly surprised more people aren't upset or there hasn't been like a thread made about the lack of moves. Maybe everyone is just still waiting and hoping we'll find a way to make something happen in the next two weeks or so. I'm still hopeful we'll make a helpful addition or two, and I'm certainly not freaking out yet. However, I still have that nagging thought in the back of my head I've had for a while that I just wonder if Francis has what it takes to pull the trigger on a big deal.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
There's more than one move out there than Duchene. Hopefully, with Duchene and all other possibilities, he's just playing a patient game, and it will pay off. Much like last year, hopefully the time period right before free agency will shake a lot of things loose, and we'll get involved on something.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Francis, from what we've seen from him thus far, is a very calculating GM. He's got a plan, he sticks to it, and he will consider every possibility before he makes a decision that might hinder said plan, even if it's one the fans may not like at the time.

So when the current possibilities of acquiring a top forward involve losing one of the young defensemen he's been building around, it makes sense that he's going to see if there are any alternate routes to take before pulling the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig