Speculation: Offseason Roster Building Thread 2 - Expansion Boogaloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes don't need a roster shakeup and it doesn't appear that the Canes should have trouble finding a Veteran Forward for picks/prospects trade if they want one. Now it just depends how much Francis will be willing to spend for which forward.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
the musical chairs scenario has begun to take shape here it seems. i hope the urgency doesn't cause Francis to deal Hanifin in a panic move. I would be okay with Reinhart, but he's probably the only available that would suit me.
When have you ever gotten the feeling that Francis is the kind of GM who lets what is happening around him change his end game? He has a plan and he's sticking to it. Off the top of my head, I can't recall a trade he's made where we didn't come out looking really good.

If this was still JR, yeah, I'd be a little worried, but I just don't see GMRF being that kind of guy.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
We don't need a roster shakeup via a Hanifin trade type move, but we absolutely 100% need to try and make some noise in free agency at this point in order to even have much of a chance this season. Something like try to pluck someone with a 2nd at the draft and then do what we can to finish out the roster with a good size signing this offseason. I know, easier said then done when the big names on the market are:

Shattenkirk (95% lock to NYR IMHO)
Oshie
Radulov
Vrbata
Thornton
Marleau
Williams
Hanzal
Bonino

and that's it for guys that I'd trust for > 15 minutes a night.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Trade our 1st for JVR. With the team holding his brother's rights for the forseeable future there's a pretty solid chance he'd re-sign. Go hard after Justin Williams with the remainder of the free agent budget.

Skinner-Rask-JWilly
Aho-Staal-Lindy
JVR-TT-Stempniak

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'd want to know who's there with #12 tonight before committing to something like that, but JvR is looking like a better option then what we'd likely be able to sign, assuming we can get an extension done with him of course.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Dave, could we afford both JWilliams and Bonino? That would give us great top 9 - Aho/Staal/Williams, Turbo/Rask/Lindy, Skinner/Bonino/Stempniak as offensive line

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Trade our 1st for JVR. With the team holding his brother's rights for the forseeable future there's a pretty solid chance he'd re-sign. Go hard after Justin Williams with the remainder of the free agent budget.

Skinner-Rask-JWilly
Aho-Staal-Lindy
JVR-TT-Stempniak

JVR probably worth about #12 OA as-is. Not sure the Canes should be the one to pay that value without some indication that he would re-sign.

Ideally he'd be open.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
JVR probably worth about #12 OA as-is. Not sure the Canes should be the one to pay that value without some indication that he would re-sign.

Ideally he'd be open.

Having his brother certainly couldn't hurt his chances of re-signing if we made that trade. And its not like we don't have experience with dressing brothers together on the ice at the same time.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Having his brother certainly couldn't hurt his chances of re-signing if we made that trade. And its not like we don't have experience with dressing brothers together on the ice at the same time.

This could go either way. Maybe TVR gets flipped to TOR or some other place that wants to sign JVR next season when McKeowon is conceivably ready to step in.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This could go either way. Maybe TVR gets flipped to TOR or some other place that wants to sign JVR next season when McKeowon is conceivably ready to step in.

No, no, no. We have a history of taking former Flyers at the forward lines and bringing out the best of them. Just explain to them that we have this magic elixir that has been tried and tested on Rod Brind'Amour and Justin Williams that has been proven to work, and JVR will fall over himself trying to come down.

Its science, really.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Dave, could we afford both JWilliams and Bonino? That would give us great top 9 - Aho/Staal/Williams, Turbo/Rask/Lindy, Skinner/Bonino/Stempniak as offensive line

Easily. Figuring bridge deals of 2x1.25 per on both McGinn and PDG we're still a solid 4 million under the cap floor of 55.4

Aho (.925) - J Staal (6.0) - Lindholm (2.7)
xxxx - Rask (4.0) - Stempniak (2.5)
Skinner (5.725) - xxxx - TT (2.86)
Nordy (1.275) - Wallmark (.683) - McGinn (1.25)
PDG (1.25)

Slavin (.743) - Pesce (.809)
Hanifin (.925) - Faulk (4.833)
Fleury (.863) - TVR (.825)
Dahlbeck (.85)

Darling (4.15)
Ward (3.3)

buyouts & retentions:
Semin (2.333)
Wiz: (1.0)
Lack @ 50% (1.375)

Total hit:
~51.175

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think our definition of top 6 may be different than RF's definition. Stempniak and Versteeg were probably considered "top 6" forwards by RF when he acquired them.

I'm expecting more 2nd tier guys top 9 like a Hagelin, Bonino, etc.. vs. a true top 6.

We're going to need a solid 50 points out of whomever we pick up. That's neither Bonino nor Hagelin (although I like both as adds). Somewhere, some how we need to find a top 6 scoring forward who can put up 20g/30a.

A lot of you are open to trading 2017 1st (12th overall), Jake Bean 2016 (13th overall), and Gauthier 2016 (21st overall) for (2) years of Duchene.

So if the cost of Drai ends up being (4) 1st rounders the price isn't all that bad when compared to what some of y'all are willing to pay for Duchene. I'd much rather give up (4) 1st rounders for 7 years of Drai vs that package above for 2 years of Duchene.

Also if we add a guy like Drai and keep our D core intact I think those 1st round picks would be in the 20's every year. Low and behold this is only going to happen in my dreams, but I can dream for right now until Draisaitl gets a new contract lol.

So it's not the 4 1sts for Draisaitl that's the issue...it's the giving up of 2 or 3 of Skinner, Aho, Lindholm, Slavin, Hanifin, Pesce, or Faulk that's the problem. You sign a guy to $9.8 million and you'll not be able to sign the 3 young defenders and Lindholm next season if you're hoping to resign Skinner and give Aho his new deal the following season. Then it is young Justin Faulk's turn. It won't be long before we're going to have to have depth so that we can move a contract or two to sign those that we want and need.

I'm completely fine with getting a Tatar/Nyqvist type player for a middle 6 role. We wouldn't have a stud outside of Skinner/Aho if he progresses, but we'd have great scoring depth which is a great thing to have. And our Top 4 remains in tact for now.

I think this is the type of damn effective, non-sexy deal we can expect from GMRF over the next two days...even if I am holding out for Landeskog.

Unfortunate that Stepan went for the #7. Better than what the Canes could offer. I'd guess that Francis would have paid #12 + a couple 2nds if that was all it took.

I don't think the Rangers wanted to trade Stepan within the division.

Easily. Figuring bridge deals of 2x1.25 per on both McGinn and PDG we're still a solid 4 million under the cap floor of 55.4

What do you guys think our realistic budget is this season? I think $56 million at the low end and just shy of $60 million at the high end.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I would also be careful about assuming that Francis' not confirming, or even denying, rumors that any of our defensemen are available precludes that from happening. A poorly leaked rumor of someone's availability without a flat denial could sour the relationship with a player you may not end up moving and therefore result in you having shot yourself in the foot. Tis the season of misdirection.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm happy we didn't get Stepan. I not convinced he'll ever live up to that contract, I think he may have peaked already. He would be a steady Eddie, which would be nice but I'm glad we didn't pay that price. I think we need someone a bit more dynamic, since we have two steady guys already at the position.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It's possible the staff is just enamored with a guy who might be there at #12 (maybe later guy like Vesalainen) and they are waiting to see who falls before making moves.

Also possible they have a deal for Neal/Marchessault and Vegas wants to wait for the Draft to make their splash trades.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
For your budget question, NotOpie, I think we're going to try to bare minimum reach the floor considering the pending RFA situation and the unpredictability of which guys we're going to go with long term. That's part of the reason why I think we're going to abstain from UFA shopping unless it's one year deals, which will probably put us out of the hunt for any of the higher profile names. Even the mid tiers.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
It's possible the staff is just enamored with a guy who might be there at #12 (maybe later guy like Vesalainen) and they are waiting to see who falls before making moves.

Also possible they have a deal for Neal/Marchessault and Vegas wants to wait for the Draft to make their splash trades.

Or they have nothing in the works, which is the far most likely.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Or they have nothing in the works, which is the far most likely.

Gotta spend about $6-8 million somewhere to reach the floor. Literally can't do nothing.

Maybe Francis is banking on spending that cash in Free Agency but I doubt it. I think he looks for cost controlled players and them looks to sign Pesce/Slavin a year early. Sounded like his priority was eliminating uncertainty about contracts ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad