*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
That was my original point. With room for 2 more OA's you can bring in a guy like Brassard and find one other OA up front to score some goals who plays with some speed and bite like a Cameron Brace.

I would love to get Brace. Anyone wanna make a Spitfires target list? I'll start it off...

Harper
Altshuller
Brassard
Sandlak
Brace
Butcher

Anyone else?

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I would love to get Brace. Anyone wanna make a Spitfires target list? I'll start it off...

Harper
Altshuller
Brassard
Sandlak
Brace

Anyone else?

I would add D-man -USA born Will Butcher to the list,which means you
trade a Dman or 2 to get Brace and Harper
Also while I like Sandlak,my 3 O/A guys would be Brassard,Brace and Giftopoulous

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
If what I read in today's Toronto Star is correct I'd hate to think what your idea of heavy would be...[/B]

It is correct, but sanctions can be much worse. Banners taken down, canceled seasons, or kicked out of the playoffs like this:

2010 USC: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5272615 "two-year bowl ban, four years' probation, loss of scholarships and forfeits of an entire year's games for improper benefits to Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush "

There are numerous other NCAA examples...UNLV, Miami, Kentucky, Southern Methodist etc.

Also, it's not what I think it's what I've heard in the media. Apparently the infractions were so offside hockey folks out here were neither surprised nor concerned at the severity of the punishment. The punishment could have been illegible to compete in this year's Memorial Cup.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

Harper
Altshuller
Brassard
Sandlak
Brace
Butcher

Anyone else?

Can't complain if you can get a few of them...Butcher 1st, Brassard 2nd, Brace 3rd..

I'd be targeting Evan Allen, Nick Schmaltz and Riley Barber & if they wouldn't come I'd try to trade their rights to Plymouth or anyone who had interest.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Portland had no enforcer either but also had guys who could be tough and contribute.

Portland had a couple guys who would go and not do much else. Halifax is one of those rare teams that just beats the snot out of someone by scoring eight goals a game :laugh:

You need the multi-use guy who can play tough and drop the gloves when needed but can also contribute to other areas of the game.

Totally agree, BUT, define "other areas of the game." If a guy can provide energy, leadership, and put up a few points, shouldn't that count for something? It's not all about points.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think Andrew Burns is going to surprise a few Spitfire fans. He was an excellent selection. Burns reminds me of Stuart Percy. He does everything really well and is very smart and reliable. One of the most under-rated defenseman in the OHL draft. I think he is going to flourish at the OHL level. I wouldnt be surprised to see him in the Top 4 before the end of the year.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Nice to see he's coming to camp I am not very hopeful he chooses Windsor though. Tough part for him is currently there are a fair amount of returning forwards, you toss in a couple imports and it gets very crowded. He's in a position where some very good academic schools are showing interest, that's probably the best outlet for him right now.

StuCarterStats

May 25, 2013
There will be 31 players attending the two day camp. 3 goaltenders and 28 skaters. Waiting on more information but I have an idea who the players are that will be attending. More to follow.

jughead42*

I don't care who we get, as long as they have strong character and can fill what was an obvious leadership void on the team. I think there are a lot of players on this team who have a lot more to give, and would be able to give it if they had a strong leader to show the way. Posa wasn't the answer, and I don't remember if they finished the season with a captain because I was so disgusted by the team in general I tried to forget, but whatever they did it obviously didn't work because we missed the effing playoffs. The guys we needed to lead the way couldn't do it because they were an immature team both on ice and off. Some of that is age, some of that is character. We need to be better in this area more than any other, the power play, the scoring and the defence will sort it self out much easier if we do improve that.

Windsor Chief

Jan 3, 2011
Windsor
Frankly, I wouldn't mind trying Bilcke in front of the net. Nobody is going to move him easily.

The best Spitfire IMHO to sit in front of the net did it in a Guelph uniform, and was generally considered as merely an enforcer in Windsor. Not sure if Ty has the skills that Cam had, but the opposition goalie is not going to have a good night with Ty's ass in his face, and if a defenseman tries to move him that makes two guys providing a screen. Too often dating back to the illustrious Mem Cup days, our powerplays had no Spitfire in front of the net, then again when Ellis was shooting not many would want to be there.

Better to design a PP to use the skills on the team rather than to try to force the team to adapt to a particular skillset they may lack.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
There will be 31 players attending the two day camp. 3 goaltenders and 28 skaters. Waiting on more information but I have an idea who the players are that will be attending. More to follow.

Perhaps it just me but IMHO you'd think that the Spitfires would make every effort to get the team into the local rag. Instead we are not privy to the names of the players expected to show for the Mini-Camp two days before it opens.
I may be totally wrong but leaking the story about Robbie DeMontis gives me the impression that there will be no surprise players showing at the camp.:shakehead

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Perhaps it just me but IMHO you'd think that the Spitfires would make every effort to get the team into the local rag. Instead we are not privy to the names of the players expected to show for the Mini-Camp two days before it opens.
I may be totally wrong but leaking the story about Robbie DeMontis gives me the impression that there will be no surprise players showing at the camp.:shakehead

It's not hard to figure out who will be at this camp, most of the picks this year minus Fischer, Warren, Hudie(injury), maybe Miller. Most of the picks last year minus Belpedio, Schmaltz, maybe a guy like Baughman and Dodero. At the end of the day there isn't a whole lot of intrigue. It gives Rychel, Boughner and the scouts a chance to see some talent but at the end of the day it's still 16 and 17 year olds scrimmaging against other 16 and 17 year olds. That doesn't give you much insight into who will be a good OHL player down the road.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The best Spitfire IMHO to sit in front of the net did it in a Guelph uniform, and was generally considered as merely an enforcer in Windsor. Not sure if Ty has the skills that Cam had, but the opposition goalie is not going to have a good night with Ty's ass in his face, and if a defenseman tries to move him that makes two guys providing a screen. Too often dating back to the illustrious Mem Cup days, our powerplays had no Spitfire in front of the net, then again when Ellis was shooting not many would want to be there.

Better to design a PP to use the skills on the team rather than to try to force the team to adapt to a particular skillset they may lack.

I remember sitting behind the net, two years ago, and watching Zack MacQueen skate out for a draw on a PP. He stood 10 feet in front of the goaltender. When you have a 5'6 170lb guy standing two feet in front of anyone, they're not going to have issues. I wanted to see Czinder go in front after that and, go figure, it worked. Nobody moved him. Now, put Bilcke in there. Get him to work on deflecting pucks and getting a low center of gravity. You won't move him.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
OHL Trade Window Opens June 1st

The OHL trade window opens this coming Saturday according to this article from Bayshore Broadcasting....
http://www.bayshorebroadcasting.ca/podcast.php?PodcastID=14662

We've seen many posts from different sources regarding trades that have been supposedly made but not announced [nudge,wink]. I've seen names bandied about including amongst others Pavelka, Bateman & Ebert. Does anyone have any insider trading tips for the rest of us?

goalpostmahoney

Apr 28, 2009
I remember sitting behind the net, two years ago, and watching Zack MacQueen skate out for a draw on a PP. He stood 10 feet in front of the goaltender. When you have a 5'6 170lb guy standing two feet in front of anyone, they're not going to have issues. I wanted to see Czinder go in front after that and, go figure, it worked. Nobody moved him. Now, put Bilcke in there. Get him to work on deflecting pucks and getting a low center of gravity. You won't move him.

Hey pal Bilke couldn't hit a dead fly with an over sized flyswatter. The spitfires have no interest training Ty to be a goal scorer. Hes around to fight and lead the cheers on the bench, where he belongs. So Mr. Bilcke if you think they should, you should look for a trade. As far as that goes his fighting skills are ho hum since he falls in every fight.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Hey pal Bilke couldn't hit a dead fly with an over sized flyswatter. The spitfires have no interest training Ty to be a goal scorer. Hes around to fight and lead the cheers on the bench, where he belongs. So Mr. Bilcke if you think they should, you should look for a trade. As far as that goes his fighting skills are ho hum since he falls in every fight.

Haha, I love how, when people get upset, they say "Hey pal." I get the feeling you don't like Ty a whole lot.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Players of interest to me and worth watching,keeping in mind they are competing with
only other 16 and 17 year olds would be in no particular order,Moore,Burns,Murray,Johnston,Luchuk and Markovic from this years draft
From last yrs draft Baughman,Demontis,Leslie,Kotsovos,Hughes
Also from this yrs draft Daniel Miller-LW who is listed as a free agent was picked in the 12th
just correcting a mistake is worth wondering about because of his 6"3 200 frame
Free agents mainly because of their size including goalie Battisti,Alberga,Zitmanis,Schmitt
Brady and Snognamligio
Ryker Killins drafted last yr as a Dman is listed as a RW,he did play JrB last yr with Strathroy and had a nice yr
The free agent Battisti is the only 18 year old at camp and aside from Sanvido is the 2nd
largest player at 6"4"208 lbs
Out of 31 players 10 are free agents- 1 goalie,2 Dmen, and 7 forwards

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Thanks for posting the link,noticed only guys missing excl injures are USDTP committs
Warren and Fischer
From last yrs draft Dodero,Schmaltz and Billings

Other players from last yr not at rookie camp are Belpedio-D -USDTP and D-man
Byckowsky 15th rder

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't know if this is the same Ryan Foss, but this might be the best team name I've ever seen:

Ryan Foss (Killer Rabbits - B League)

:laugh::yo:

Another interesting find:

http://lucaszitmanishockey.com/

Vincent Scognamiglio - comes from the same program that Janssen did. Seems to have the same type of PIM, too, but with some offensive flair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad