*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Good for London winning 2 OHL titles in a row but I can't understand how they are happy with the way the season ended. Their team didn't beat either of the league champions. London fans consistently said Saskatoon was the weakest team and London beat them twice. They shouldn't be happy with their Memorial Cup performance.

Are u going to Whine all summer about London? That speaks volumes to the state of the Spitfire franchise. Id live in the past too, if the future looked bleak. Sean Day should be a Spitfire if they did things the "right way". The jealousy and sour grapes on these last 2 pages is hilarious.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Are u going to Whine all summer about London? That speaks volumes to the state of the Spitfire franchise. Id live in the past too, if the future looked bleak. Sean Day should be a Spitfire if they did things the "right way". The jealousy and sour grapes on these last 2 pages is hilarious.

Not whining just stating facts. It's fine if London wants to downplay what the Memorial Cup is and not winning it. If they won it they would be crowing about it though, since they lost the Memorial Cup it doesn't matter. They can't lose under that scenario. It's not jealousy or sour grapes I would be very disappointed if my team went to the Memorial Cup and went 0-3 against the league champions.

Last edited:

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010

Jealousy and sour grapes? Spits fans are celebrating that their second favourite team is doing so well. That team.... who ever is playing the London Knights.:handclap:

It's good to have a past to look back on, one that supersedes anything London has done.

You're in the wrong thread if you think anyone here is going to be praising the knights. They have enough people licking their boots.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Not sure many from London would have gloated, until trolled, by fans on here. Yeah the odd one maybe. That's no different than any team. Every teams got a few a&$clowns for fans.
It does say something to me however when fans seemingly are more excited about a team that won their league (reg season and POs) back to back and lost to a favourite at a national final event, in a format that most would agree isn't always indicative of best team. Than are pissed off at their own teams failures. :)

Knights came up short, I believe lost in a tourney that they were not the best team in. They finished where they should, meet expectations. For that I'm glad, but sure I wish they coulda pulled out 2 more Ws. But to consider it a failure, not in my eyes. Failure is more about not leaving it all on the ice, not performing to expectations, not caring, quiting on teammates, not meeting goals. Think I know a team like that :)

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
If they won it they would be crowing about it though, since they lost the Memorial Cup does it matter.

I would be very disappointed if my team went to the Memorial Cup and went 0-3 against the league champions.

I doubt it. We have seen plenty of examples how NOT to act if you win the Memorial Cup (or even back to back).

Yes, the Memorial cup outcome was quite disappointing. Any Knights fan who says otherwise is either lying or dumb.
Back to back OHL titles is nice...just didnt have enough...maybe if we paid off some better players we too would have back to back Memorial Cups ;)
I know long ago you challenged me to show you the asterix in the media guide for the Spits two titles...it isnt there and wont be, but we all know what happened :)
Good luck next year, might wanna start working on the excuses now.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Not sure many from London would have gloated, until trolled, by fans on here. Yeah the odd one maybe. That's no different than any team. Every teams got a few a&$clowns for fans.
It does say something to me however when fans seemingly are more excited about a team that won their league (reg season and POs) back to back and lost to a favourite at a national final event, in a format that most would agree isn't always indicative of best team. Than are pissed off at their own teams failures. :)

Knights came up short, I believe lost in a tourney that they were not the best team in. They finished where they should, meet expectations. For that I'm glad, but sure I wish they coulda pulled out 2 more Ws. But to consider it a failure, not in my eyes. Failure is more about not leaving it all on the ice, not performing to expectations, not caring, quiting on teammates, not meeting goals. Think I know a team like that :)

Trust me my hatred and wanting London to lose in the Memorial Cup has nothing to do with London as much as it does it's the OHL team. I have never rooted for another OHL team in the Memorial Cup if it isn't Windsor. I wasn't rooting for Owen Sound/Mississauga/Kitchener/Belleville/Peterborough. The closest might have been Plymouth because I didn't like Lewiston, Vancouver or Medicine Hat. So London isn't necessarily special in that respect.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I doubt it. We have seen plenty of examples how NOT to act if you win the Memorial Cup (or even back to back).

Yes, the Memorial cup outcome was quite disappointing. Any Knights fan who says otherwise is either lying or dumb.
Back to back OHL titles is nice...just didnt have enough...maybe if we paid off some better players we too would have back to back Memorial Cups ;)
I know long ago you challenged me to show you the asterix in the media guide for the Spits two titles...it isnt there and wont be, but we all know what happened :)
Good luck next year, might wanna start working on the excuses now.

Will you put the asterisk next to Portland if they win tonight? I haven't made any excuses for Windsor I thought they were pretty bad and they need to own up to that. Don't worry you're not allowed to give inducements to players but making a guarantee of money to the Memorial Cup committee is a ok. :laugh::laugh:

Trust me my hatred and wanting London to lose in the Memorial Cup has nothing to do with London as much as it does it's the OHL team. I have never rooted for another OHL team in the Memorial Cup if it isn't Windsor. I wasn't rooting for Owen Sound/Mississauga/Kitchener/Belleville/Peterborough. The closest might have been Plymouth because I didn't like Lewiston, Vancouver or Medicine Hat. So London isn't necessarily special in that respect.
I respect this approach when cheering at the Memorial Cup. I follow the same regime. I won't cheer for the OHL rep just because they're from the OHL.

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
Will you put the asterisk next to Portland if they win tonight? I haven't made any excuses for Windsor I thought they were pretty bad and they need to own up to that. Don't worry you're not allowed to give inducements to players but making a guarantee of money to the Memorial Cup committee is a ok. :laugh::laugh:

Lol :)
Yes, Portland will get it too ;)

coachfluffy

Feb 26, 2013
I really think London had to go to the well one too many times against Barrie and were just whooped. That was a tough series physically and mentally. I think they were just out of gas in both tanks. Same could be said for the Attack in 2011. Those were rough trips to the Memorial Cup.

Pretty sure the other teams, outside of maybe Saskatoon, went through playoffs as well.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Good for London winning 2 OHL titles in a row but I can't understand how they are happy with the way the season ended. Their team didn't beat either of the league champions. London fans consistently said Saskatoon was the weakest team and London beat them twice. They shouldn't be happy with their Memorial Cup performance.

I don't like the way the Memorial Cup ended for London. In fact the last 2 rounds of the playoffs and the Memorial Cup left a sour taste for me. This team considering alot of them returned should have been more prepared for this final week of the season. I'm not laying all the blame on the players but the coaching staff and there preparation for the kids.

The last 6 weeks of this season left me scratching my head wondering about the coaching staff and there abilities. I think the kids won despite there coaching that's just my opinion. Blowing leads like they did and that many times is down right embarassing as a coach and things need to change next year or the same thing can very well happen.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
True,though I dont think any of them went thru a 7 game series,in their finals
just sayin

All the excuses from playing a team that has sat around for weeks to a team running out of gas or losing a one game elimination. That's what makes it the hardest Championship in hockey to win.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
All the excuses from playing a team that has sat around for weeks to a team running out of gas or losing a one game elimination. That's what makes it the hardest Championship in hockey to win.

What's interesting is that the past few Memorial Cups other than Shawinigan the favorite has always won. I am not sure who the fav was this year between Portland-Halifax but it was probably pretty well split. I was hoping for a Portland-Halifax final back when the season started and in a couple hours we will see some great hockey.

jughead42*

London has a crummy coach and he owns the team. There is nothing about that scenario that is good, so all the Knights fans can run along and be proud of their Robertson cups as they should be. It's a pretty good result considering the handicaps that club operates under. Have you ever seen Hunter during a time out? He chews gum, uses his fingernail to try to scrape the dried gravy off his tweet sport coat from the goodwill bin, or anything else he can do to distract himself from the fact he's supposed to be leading a hockey team. Good luck with that.

member 71782

If there is anything to the rumours about Kerby wanting out I think it is pretty obvious that this team is headed for a full rebuild.

When one of your top players wants out and just happens to be the son of one of the owners I think it is pretty telling of what the fans can expect this season.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
If there is anything to the rumours about Kerby wanting out I think it is pretty obvious that this team is headed for a full rebuild.

When one of your top players wants out and just happens to be the son of one of the owners I think it is pretty telling of what the fans can expect this season.

Rumors,rumors,rumors ( Rychel/Rychel/Studnicka/Bateman) will they never end........IMHO IF the rumors are true my guess is WR will be outta here before Kerby, at least for the Spits sake it has to be that way. I can't imagine the other owners allowing Dad to set up his son's exit.

With the Memorial Cup over tonight and the trading window open June 1st we should get an idea of the direction that the Spits will take in short order. IF Kerby does get traded one would expect a high return in both players and 2nd rounders....

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
David Branch was just on and said the CHL is all about small market franchises like Owen Sound and Moose Jaw. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Actions speak louder than words Mr. Branch. I hope somebody recorded that interview and play it back to him when Ottawa gets the Memorial Cup in 2017. I am shocked these owners in the OHL and CHL buy his rhetoric.

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
London has a crummy coach and he owns the team. THave you ever seen Hunter during a time out? He chews gum, uses his fingernail to try to scrape the dried gravy off his tweet sport coat from the goodwill bin, or anything else he can do to distract himself from the fact he's supposed to be leading a hockey team. Good luck with that.

Worst coach I have ever seen, and I am a massive Washington Capitals fan!
I have been over the pond to cheer on my beloved Caps eight times, have a Caps room in my house, full of awesome memorabillia, and although I admired him, very much as a player, when he was named coach of the Caps last year, my joy soon turned to dismay.
Horrible demenour, no contact/communication with his players, no passion, no excitement....and stood smugly while the team lost all sense of direction, benching his star player, while his ex chums (Wideman) was never off the ice.
He threw his captain under the bus, safe in the knowledge, he could b***ger off back to London, when he realised he was out of his depth.
Ghastly...

Yet, all i hear from Caps fans, and NHL fans is "how great a coach Hunter is/was"!|
How he "knows how to win", and how all the players "adored" him, and how "Ovie was a jerk" for being pleased when he left.
The legend of Dale the coach was a total myth....Hunter showed NONE of the charachteristics of his playing days, when he was a coach...

lol....sorry, didnt want to rant or offend any London fans, I actually like the London team, I enjoy them being the "villains", and they play it well....
But as for "Coach" Hunter...blimey, I am so pleased he is away from the Caps.

Last edited:

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
David Branch was just on and said the CHL is all about small market franchises like Owen Sound and Moose Jaw. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Actions speak louder than words Mr. Branch. I hope somebody recorded that interview and play it back to him when Ottawa gets the Memorial Cup in 2017. I am shocked these owners in the OHL and CHL buy his rhetoric.

I dont think all of them are buying it.Dobrich has just exited and WR looks to be next.I think the original 3 are just passing the torch to the next 3.I dont think you can make money with 5 owners of various percentages.This is a smart business way of doing it and keeping your mouth shut to get back or maybe make some cash on their investment.The timeline is probably linked to the end of the sanctions.

Branch has done more damage to the league not giving the host for 14 to Barrie then he knows or maybe doesnt care as long as the 6 figiures are in the acct.
I think we will see a decrease in attendance across the league, maybe London the only bright spot.Fans can't afford to throw away money on a league that is not run above board and with a proper business plan.Fans are seeing now how dishonest it all is with their own eyes.And this giving London as hosts in '14 only magnifies it.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
If kerby were to get traded i dont think it will be until the trade deadline, the amount of slack WR took from the wife after the whole draft thing, if kerby were to get traded the final decision may have to go through mom..lol

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
If kerby were to get traded i dont think it will be until the trade deadline, the amount of slack WR took from the wife after the whole draft thing, if kerby were to get traded the final decision may have to go through mom..lol

Well Kerby did move out of his parents house mid season and into a billet... it wouldn't be much of a stretch for him to get traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad