*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
but the 2 that caught me were 16 year olds Markovic and Kotsovos though he turns 17 in Dec,both played very well,displayed nastiness,a great bit of hitting,these 2 were trying to hit everything in sight,was a joy to see I must say,the Markovic kid for a 16 year old really jumped out at me,might be a steal from the 6th rd,

Im not surprised. Both of them play a similar punishing style. Both were great value in the draft. Especially Anthony Kostovos. Kostovos was one of the most physical defenseman at the 2012 OHL cup. He appeared to be the hardest hitter there. He had a strong ice presence. I saw him other games, where he did not bring that physical element. Both of them need to work on there speed, in my opinion. Thats the one thing holding Markovic back a little bit. I havent seen Kostovos play in a while, not sure where his speed is at.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Im not surprised. Both of them play a similar punishing style. Both were great value in the draft. Especially Anthony Kostovos. Kostovos was one of the most physical defenseman at the 2012 OHL cup. He appeared to be the hardest hitter there. He had a strong ice presence. I saw him other games, where he did not bring that physical element. Both of them need to work on there speed, in my opinion. Thats the one thing holding Markovic back a little bit. I havent seen Kostovos play in a while, not sure where his speed is at.

Agree both could stand to use better footwork though it did not appear to hamper
either
Re Kotsovos I understand last yr he can only lift 155 lbs and barely,now a year later
he can lift 265 ilbs which is more then 90 lbs his weight
Seems like he really is putting in the work
I will take a better look tomorrow re both of them

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With the exception of Kerby Rychel vets expected in town tomorrow by 11 am for for
fitness testing and a 6 K run
I noticed Murphy has put on 15 lbs of weight,Marchese feels he is about at 60 per cent healed, slow progress although 2 months after testing in Mississauga he was at 40 per cent
Wonder if Ben Johnson will be in town,he was not around today

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Interesting story re Spit draft choice-16 year old Daniel Miller-LW,apparently he was drafted
by Sioux Falls of the USHL,and their rookie /tryout camp is this weekend as well
Apparently players have to pay 300 bucks to try out,plus the camp is in Minniapolis
expenses,the kid really wants to play here,so he chose Windsor
I write this story as I found it amazing re kids having to pay to tryout for the best jr league
in the USA
He is big bodied forward with decent hands,needs to work on his foot speed
His brother a goalie who is 6"6 was drafted by Erie in 2011,this kid still has room to grow
me thinks

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Interesting story re Spit draft choice-16 year old Daniel Miller-LW,apparently he was drafted
by Sioux Falls of the USHL,and their rookie /tryout camp is this weekend as well
Apparently players have to pay 300 bucks to try out,plus the camp is in Minniapolis
expenses,the kid really wants to play here,so he chose Windsor
I write this story as I found it amazing re kids having to pay to tryout for the best jr league
in the USA
He is big bodied forward with decent hands,needs to work on his foot speed
His brother a goalie who is 6"6 was drafted by Erie in 2011,this kid still has room to grow
me thinks

Thanks to Hockey Legend and OHLTG for your comments and descriptions...sounds like the Mini Camp is nicely underway...

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Yes, thx to them from my end also.Nice to hear some good news on the kids coming up in the system.Nice descriptions of the boys to go by.Looking forward to a better yr than last season.Sounds like a good future for us esp. like hearing the physical play theyre not shy of.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Thanks guys for the kind comments,yes I thought the pace was brisk and the hitting certainly was evident, great to see
As well some of the bigger guys showed nice skill sets too,smaller guys like Moore and Demontis,especially Moore besides their skill showed a willingness to engage
Going forward after tomorrow it will be interesting to see how some of these youngsters
will fare against older guys in the 18-20
On 1st glance definitely some promise in all areas,alot a work still ahead to make finished
products

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
OHL trade Window is now Open

OHL trade Window is now open...Teams are now able to trade....

The mini camp 2nd game should be over about 10:am.

Today is ( I believe) the fitness testing day for the Spitfire team. Kerby Rychel will have been prodded and tested in Toronto.

If you happen to be at the WFCU and notice some players that aren't in the house for their conditioning testing take note.....there could be a reason....

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012
OHL trade Window is now open...Teams are now able to trade....

The mini camp 2nd game should be over about 10:am.

Today is ( I believe) the fitness testing day for the Spitfire team. Kerby Rychel will have been prodded and tested in Toronto.

If you happen to be at the WFCU and notice some players that aren't in the house for their conditioning testing take note.....there could be a reason....

Who isnt there?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Well the final day of Windsor"s 2 day rookie mini camp is in the books,with Team Red winning
this one 5-4 in a shootout,with Josh Hosang notching the only goal by either squad to get the game winner
Now some thoughts on today"s action and some thinking ahead as well

After both teams went after each other yesterday there far less violent collisions,I think alot of players felt tired and banged up,sure there some nice hits but nearly as frequent
we saw more creative plays on both sides
Starting with goaltending all 3 goalies from the 2 squads played very well,16 year old Brendan Johnston had a great camp very solid today as well as yesterday seems to have
a bright future,the other not yet 16 year old the youngest player at the camp Eli Billing
was outstanding today,after a rough 1st half yesterday,he parlayed a strong 2nd half yesterday into a real solid showing this morning,showing quick reflexes/reaction despite being a small tender,the 3rd goalie 18 year old Battisti continued his fine play into today too,goaltending certainly was not a problem at this camp imo
From the defence side of things I was impressed with the play of Liam Muuray for team Blue as he played strong at both ends,Busby the 15th rd pick had a much better day this am as did many players,did not look out place,Graehame Brown was very steady on the back end for Team Blue,the other 2 men free agents Alberga and Zitmanis played steady
Re Team Red I was impressed with American born Adam Baughman,the big dman as I mentioned last nite started slowly but came on,well he played very well from the onset today,showing confidence with the puck and his 1st passes,no doubt most improved D guy for Team Red from yesterday,Burns continued to play well,as did Sanvido far more engaging,while Markovic and Kotsovos the pair of hitting machines from day 1 did not do
as much as that but played well otherwise
Markovic got involved in fisticuffs with American born forward from St Louis Vince Scognamilgio,brief but entertaining bout with the American youngster getting the decision,
I like Markovic"s spunk
Upfront numerous forwards from both teams upped their game,Team Red,saw Josh Ho Sang as the star of the day as he was dangerous all morning,big winger Ryan Foss had another strong performance today as he was a contuinous threat,Cole Nagy and Jared Leslie improved from yesterday and picked up multiple pts each,while the youngest skater
Michael Andlauer not 16 till late August put in a real strong day,scored a goal and did not look out of place,Ryan Moore displayed some of his skills and jam today and will be a treat to see,spit draft pick Belrussian born, living in Ontario,Antron Trublin was far more
noticeable today,showed good speed,fine skill and willingness to engage despite his small
stature,looked like a possible sleeper player if he continues to improve
For Team Blue forward Cameron Hughes was their best forward this morning,scored 2,setup 1,banged bodies,has a bomb of a shot,was real good yeaterday,even greater today,forwards Matt Kenney and Vince Scognamilgio both caught my eye especially Kenney,both picked up pts,worked hard, and played physical
Big American forward Daniel Miller played much better today,the 16 year scored once and was used at center a position he has not played in 3 yrs,but he looked more comfortable and put in a strong perf,especially on the PK
Its unfortunate that he is slated for shoulder surgery June 11 to repair a fracture in the shoulder just recently detected,he will miss between 6 weeks or 4 months depending on what the doctor finds,so we may not see him come fall
Robbie Demontis and Aaron Luchuk both played well but were not as noticeable as yesterday

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Some thoughts going forward after Windsor"s 2 day mini camp

I think the play of many players from all positions will give coaches and management
alike pause to think of what to do,as well as a look to the future
Keeping in mind,u had 16 and 17 year olds playing against other not to go overboard
until at least they play against 18-20 year olds as well can we get a fair view of what to
expect going forward,but its fun to project anyhow
Goaltender Brendan Johnston a 16 year old looks poised to be around for a awhile as he was outstanding this weekend,he will battle for a job this fall imo
On defense rookies Burns,Murray,Markovic,as well as last yr years picks Kotsovos and Baughman all played well with their variety of skill sets,some were better with the puck
think Baughman,Murray and Burns,some were better hitting wise think Markovic,Murray and Kotsovos,while all of them did engage throughout the camp that impressed me the most
Upfront forwards Moore,Luchulk Demontis,Trublin,Leslie despite their lack of size displayed ample portions of speed ,skill and neccessary grit to get things done
Bigger drafted forwards such as Hughes,Miller and Andlauer used their bodies effectively
and Hughes particularly the best big body forward of the camp showed nice skills too
From the free agent pool smaller forward Matt Kenney really impressed with his skill and determination,bigger forward Ryan Foss showed good hockey sense and ability,while Vince
Scognamligio impressed with his size and grit,Cole Nagy despite a bad shoulder played very well today,would not surprise me if all 4 forwards are invited to main camp
I am not overall going to rate the 4 players who were here last yr,Sanvido,Verbeek.Brown and HoSang though they all played well overall and will be counted on to take the next step

All in all I thought this year"s camp was far more better then last yr,better pace,more
physicality.more skilled,excellent goaltending and it gives the team mge something to think about
I feel there will be strong competition for all positions and some vets should be looking
over their shoulders if this camp is any indication
I am of the mindset if a younger player is as good as an older take the kid and we may see of that this fall
You add 2 forwards form the import draft as Boughner indicated from the podium that the spits wish for and the future does look brighter then last yrs finsh
It appears from 1st glance that the scouts did a far better job identifying talent both
draft wise and free agent wise,only time will tell if thats true

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
On a Windsor related note,Belleville forward and Windsor native Austen Brassard has been
signed by the Jets
Still think he could wind up in the O,ans Belleville deals him to his hometown team
Windsor,with Sam Studnicka part of the package ging the other way

Spitfires26

Apr 7, 2013
Best forwards were Moore, Demontis, Ho Sang , Hughes

Moore and Demontis are very similar - fast, skilled, smart, fiesty

They could be the future of the team in terms of top line guys along with Ho Sang. I heard they are begging Demontis to play next year. Though, my gut tells me he ends up going NCAA. Lots of interest from over there. Seems like a prototypical college kid. Would love to see him stay though and play with the big guns.

Hughes showed well too. Big and strong. Needs to work on hockey IQ

Best defensmen were Sanvido, Brown, Baughman, Murray

Sanvido has improved.

Best goalie by far was Johnston. Stood on his head the first game. Bright future.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Depending on which way the Spits move, I wonder if training camp goes good for Johnston if maybe WR/BB go with youth between the pipes and make a tandem of Kuchmey/Johnston and deal DeKort for some much needed future assets.

Any thoughts???

Im hoping for a team that kind of grows together this year instead of the individuals our team was last season.I didnt sense much comraderie amongst them.

And I know kerby's name will be brought up,but IMO thyre was no team chemistry it wasn't just a kerby thing.Im not going to put blame on him because to me he was a workhorse out there for us.If players don't learn at a young age to put personalities behind them they won't have a chance in the big leagues, where it must be even worse.

big papa

Apr 21, 2012
Depending on which way the Spits move, I wonder if training camp goes good for Johnston if maybe WR/BB go with youth between the pipes and make a tandem of Kuchmey/Johnston and deal DeKort for some much needed future assets.

Any thoughts???

Im hoping for a team that kind of grows together this year instead of the individuals our team was last season.I didnt sense much comraderie amongst them.

And I know kerby's name will be brought up,but IMO thyre was no team chemistry it wasn't just a kerby thing.Im not going to put blame on him because to me he was a workhorse out there for us.If players don't learn at a young age to put personalities behind them they won't have a chance in the big leagues, where it must be even worse.

i dont really see them trading yet another failed developed goalie prospect in Dekort, i think they give him a chance this season while seeing what Kuchmey can do at the OHL level. i think they let Johnston play Jr.B then bring him up next year with either Dekort, Kuchmey or they bring in another goalie to work with Johnston

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
i dont really see them trading yet another failed developed goalie prospect in Dekort, i think they give him a chance this season while seeing what Kuchmey can do at the OHL level. i think they let Johnston play Jr.B then bring him up next year with either Dekort, Kuchmey or they bring in another goalie to work with Johnston

I would agree goaltending will probably start DeKort/Kuchmey with Johnston playing
JrB in Chatham or Lasalle
Next yr providing Dekort does the job would be backed by Johnston,with Kuchmey
moving on because he will be an O/A after this season

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spitfire News

Spits have signed LW Cameron Hughes to an OHL contract
The 17 year old was a 8th rd pick from last yrs draft
He was probably the best forward at the recently finsihed rookie camp in my opinion
His size that he brings will be a welcome addition to the forward group

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With the signing of Cameron Hughes Spits have now inked 6 players since the draft and for the 1st time in recent memory alot of players signed 3 months prior to the main camp
1 Goalie,2 D-men and 3 Forwards have been signed,5 of them are 16 years old and 1-Hughes is 17 years old
Will interesting to see what happens if anything with the short trade window now open
as of today

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
On a Windsor related note,Belleville forward and Windsor native Austen Brassard has been
signed by the Jets
Still think he could wind up in the O,ans Belleville deals him to his hometown team
Windsor,with Sam Studnicka part of the package ging the other way

On that note - According to OHL insider Austen Brassard could be headed to Windsor before too long. Unlike you Legend, I take everything I hear from OHL Insider with a grain of salt.

The OHL trade window opened today but as far as I can see no trades were consummated (completed officially) those will probably need to wait until Monday IMHO

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Spitfire News

Spits have signed LW Cameron Hughes to an OHL contract
The 17 year old was a 8th rd pick from last yrs draft
He was probably the best forward at the recently finsihed rookie camp in my opinion
His size that he brings will be a welcome addition to the forward group

Thanks once again Legend for your Day #2 reporting.....great info. You either have a photographic memory or use a tape recorder.....I'm thinking that the Vipers will be loaded for bear this coming season and with luck the Spits will have guys that can fill in and get to the WFCU in a 20 min drive. Last season we were caught with our pants down too often...

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I would agree goaltending will probably start DeKort/Kuchmey with Johnston playing
JrB in Chatham or Lasalle
Next yr providing Dekort does the job would be backed by Johnston,with Kuchmey
moving on because he will be an O/A after this season

You could be right. It seems that a number of teams will be on the lookout for Goaltenders this summer so it could be a sellers market. I'm also reading that a number of potential import returnees are opting to play in Europe instead of the OHL.

big papa

Apr 21, 2012
Thanks once again Legend for your Day #2 reporting.....great info. You either have a photographic memory or use a tape recorder.....I'm thinking that the Vipers will be loaded for bear this coming season and with luck the Spits will have guys that can fill in and get to the WFCU in a 20 min drive. Last season we were caught with our pants down too often...

That would be good as our prospect would be playing together through our system and we could be a contender every year with prospect in the system to trade if we need an extra piece

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
On that note - According to OHL insider Austen Brassard could be headed to Windsor before too long. Unlike you Legend, I take everything I hear from OHL Insider with a grain of salt.

The OHL trade window opened today but as far as I can see no trades were consummated (completed officially) those will probably need to wait until Monday IMHO

Actually I dont even look up the ohl insider so I dont know who or where the link
is

big papa

Apr 21, 2012
With the signing of Cameron Hughes Spits have now inked 6 players since the draft and for the 1st time in recent memory alot of players signed 3 months prior to the main camp
1 Goalie,2 D-men and 3 Forwards have been signed,5 of them are 16 years old and 1-Hughes is 17 years old
Will interesting to see what happens if anything with the short trade window now open
as of today

could we be seeing the start of a re build be put into motion this far away from the main camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad