*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
One Area That I Think the Spits Need To Address

Now that the Memorial Cup has been awarded, as a Spit fan I'm looking at a couple of areas that the team [IMHO] needs to address where we were lacking last season. Certainly we are talking about a number of areas but one that I give a high priority to is physical play.

Hopefully the Import draft will add some creative scoring but in all likelihood nothing in the way of physicality.

What I'd love to see is a pair of physical forwards that can play on the top 2 lines. I'm talking about guys that who can answer the bell if needed but who are power forwards who will go into the dirty areas.

Trades would most likely be the way to go to acquire them and hopefully WR finds a fit somewhere to get them.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Now that the Memorial Cup has been awarded, as a Spit fan I'm looking at a couple of areas that the team [IMHO] needs to address where we were lacking last season. Certainly we are talking about a number of areas but one that I give a high priority to is physical play.

Hopefully the Import draft will add some creative scoring but in all likelihood nothing in the way of physicality.

What I'd love to see is a pair of physical forwards that can play on the top 2 lines. I'm talking about guys that who can answer the bell if needed but who are power forwards who will go into the dirty areas.

Trades would most likely be the way to go to acquire them and hopefully WR finds a fit somewhere to get them.

That would be nice and in the process it makes Bilcke expendable.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Now now Rayzor,dont u go taking away OHLTG"s fav player you nasty man lol

Hey, I'm just happy he spelled the guy's name right :laugh:

I'd love to know who Rayzor thinks will replace Bilcke's personality and value. You don't just remove a 6'2 210lb power forward who will defend teammates and put up a few points, without replacing him. I know the game has gone the way of the all-around player, but you still (generally) need that protection, like it or not.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Hey, I'm just happy he spelled the guy's name right :laugh:

I'd love to know who Rayzor thinks will replace Bilcke's personality and value. You don't just remove a 6'2 210lb power forward who will defend teammates and put up a few points, without replacing him. I know the game has gone the way of the all-around player, but you still (generally) need that protection, like it or not.

IMHO There still is a place for Bilcke in the lineup. That being said the 4th line is where he should find himself. Fighting has yet to go the way of the Dodo bird.(it got the Leafs into the playoffs) but as the season progresses the tough guys see less and less ice time for good reason.
If the Spits do go to a youth movement they will need some toughness to help the kids get some room. Only thing I see with Bilcke is that if Rychel goes somewhere I can see a few of his circle of friends heading out with him and Bilcke is one of them.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Exactly; we don't need him to be a top two lines guy, or even top three lines. He's going to put up 5-10 points, but his energy, size, and willingness will always be valuable in this league. Unless you're a London who can score at will, you need a guy like him, especially if we go youth.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
IMHO There still is a place for Bilcke in the lineup. That being said the 4th line is where he should find himself. Fighting has yet to go the way of the Dodo bird.(it got the Leafs into the playoffs) but as the season progresses the tough guys see less and less ice time for good reason.
If the Spits do go to a youth movement they will need some toughness to help the kids get some room. Only thing I see with Bilcke is that if Rychel goes somewhere I can see a few of his circle of friends heading out with him and Bilcke is one of them.

I understand what you're trying to say but the Spits aren't going youth they are going to try and make a go of it. Look at projected possibilities.

Forwards
Rychel
Vail
Ho-Sang
Giftopolous
Verbeek
Moore
2 more OA's
2 imports
US signing

That's 11 forwards right there without including Marchese, Johnson, Studnicka(likely traded), and Bilcke. Let's also not forget Bilcke only played 46 games last year. Durability is a question mark moving forward 2011 playoffs broken fibula, 2012-broken finger, bad shoulder. The other option is giving Bilcke's role to a 17 year old who can develop. Bilcke is already 19 his game hasn't evolved over the past 2 years, Bilcke was here when he was 17 so there's no reason why another player can't take that role from him.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
"His game hasn't evolved over the past 2 years"

- Really? He's gone from a kid who dropped 'em almost 40 times to a kid who is crashing the net, getting pucks on net, and playing a pretty solid power-forward game. Unless this is another case of "you gotta put up points to make your value increase"?

Bilcke was here when he was 17 so there's no reason why another player can't take that role from him.

Such as whom? We haven't drafted anyone who can do the same job, and I don't know of many out there that we could acquire that'd have the same value, both on and off the ice, as Ty. I know Rayzor doesn't like Bilcke, for whatever reason, but, despite trying to find a reason to let him go, I'm guessing Ty's here next year.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
For those interested in the mini-camp information:

From Spits' website:

The Windsor Spitfires are pleased to announce details of their upcoming 2013 Mini-Camp weekend.

The camp will be held this Friday, May 31st and Saturday, June 1st at the WFCU Centre.

There will be an on-ice session for recent Spitfire draftees and free agent invites each day. Friday's session goes from 2 to 4 pm, with Saturday's set for 8 to 10 am. Both sessions are open to the public and will take place on the AM800 CKLW rink, on the Community Rinks side of the facility.

There will be a hospitality room – open exclusively to season ticket holders, parents and media, complete with complimentary water, coffee and timbits - set up in the Great Lakes Room on the upper level, above the community rinks, on Friday from 1 to 5 pm and again on Saturday, from 7 am to noon.

Following Saturday morning's on-ice session, Spitfires President and Head Coach Bob Boughner will be in the hospitality suite to meet season ticket holders. Select Spitfire players will also be on-hand.

Boughner will be made available to media following the gathering.

There will also be a sale on Spitfires merchandise at The Crease on both days. Fans can pick up their favourite SpitsGear on Friday from 1 to 5 pm and on Saturday from 7 am to noon.

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
I don't understand your love for the guy OHLTG. A power forward? REALLY? How many goals does he have again? Right... 1.

Zack Kassian = Power forward
Lane MacDermid = Power Forward

Hell even Greg Nemisz and Kenny Ryan could be considered power forwards.

Bilcke's game has not evolved at all in his first 2 seasons, time to take your blinders off man.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I've watched almost every game he's played at home over the last two seasons. He's gone from guy who does nothing but fight, to guy who is trying every single game to put points up. He's not going to score 10-15 goals, but he sure as heck is putting in the effort. Hell, he had a goal taken away this year when everyone, including the player who got credit, said "um, that was Ty's!" Having known multiple guys like Ty over the years, I've come to respect the game he brings and appreciate how much crap they get. THAT'S why. I don't expect everyone to agree, and that's fine.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
One thing the Spits better work on for this season is their anemic PP.Worst Ive seen in the yrs of WR/BB ownership.

As for Bilke, I think he was more of a grinder out there last season.He tried to be more physical and open up things a bit.That 10 game fight rule put a damper on real enforcers, just what the league wanted.

As for the Spits being a more physical team, I too would like teams to cringe when they visit the WFCU but if you look at the officiating last season every time we did play more physical we ended up in the box.Don't know how you move forward when this league discouages good physical play like Seiloff plays.A few yrs ago maybe. Not now which is sad, we have to watch politically correct hockey now.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don't understand your love for the guy OHLTG. A power forward? REALLY? How many goals does he have again? Right... 1.

Zack Kassian = Power forward
Lane MacDermid = Power Forward

Hell even Greg Nemisz and Kenny Ryan could be considered power forwards.

Bilcke's game has not evolved at all in his first 2 seasons, time to take your blinders off man.

Bryan Bickell and Patrick Davis were more PF's as well. With how important special teams are in junior hockey you probably have 20 minutes a game played 5 on 4. A few minutes of 4 on 4, the remaining 30-35 minutes is 5 on 5. Bilcke can only play 5 on 5 but since he's 4th line he's relegated to 3-5 minutes a game.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
One thing the Spits better work on for this season is their anemic PP.Worst Ive seen in the yrs of WR/BB ownership.

The PP was from the Hall/Henrique days, so if the players couldn't execute, it looked bad on them. They need a new style as this crop isn't going to execute it as easily. Frankly, I wouldn't mind trying Bilcke in front of the net. Nobody is going to move him easily.

jughead42*

OHLTG, I'm on board with the team's need to have an enforcer and have no real problem if Bilke is used in that role next year, but let's not pretend he's anything but an enforcer. He skates like he's in mud and can't pass the puck, shoot the puck, skate with the puck, control the puck, or just about any other skill you could think of that involves the puck. He can hit a bit and he can fight, which is enough to earn him some intimidation points and keep opponents honest. That's about it. I love the guy, but don't be pretending that overcooked slab of liver is anything else. He's not a beef wellington, or filet mignon, hell he's not even a cheeseburger. He's a tough overcooked piece of liver. Get's the job done if you're hungry enough to stomach it but little else. Power winger my ass. :)

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
OHLTG, I'm on board with the team's need to have an enforcer and have no real problem if Bilke is used in that role next year, but let's not pretend he's anything but an enforcer. He skates like he's in mud and can't pass the puck, shoot the puck, skate with the puck, control the puck, or just about any other skill you could think of that involves the puck. He can hit a bit and he can fight, which is enough to earn him some intimidation points and keep opponents honest. That's about it. I love the guy, but don't be pretending that overcooked slab of liver is anything else. He's not a beef wellington, or filet mignon, hell he's not even a cheeseburger. He's a tough overcooked piece of liver. Get's the job done if you're hungry enough to stomach it but little else. Power winger my ass. :)

Could not have said it more eloquently myself Juggy

goalpostmahoney

Apr 28, 2009
"His game hasn't evolved over the past 2 years"

- Really? He's gone from a kid who dropped 'em almost 40 times to a kid who is crashing the net, getting pucks on net, and playing a pretty solid power-forward game. Unless this is another case of "you gotta put up points to make your value increase"?

Such as whom? We haven't drafted anyone who can do the same job, and I don't know of many out there that we could acquire that'd have the same value, both on and off the ice, as Ty. I know Rayzor doesn't like Bilcke, for whatever reason, but, despite trying to find a reason to let him go, I'm guessing Ty's here next year.

Are you kidding me!!!! The kid can't skate!!! I have to admit he's a great cheer leader maybe we can get him some pom poms.

Nyax

Oct 2, 2008
Parts Unknown
Bilcke makes Richard Greenop look like a sniper. And are other players in the league even intiminated by him? I mean yeah he fights alot, but he loses as many fights as he wins. He competes hard and I'm sure he is a favourite in the locker room, but the reality is he just isn't a very good hockey player. If they can add a couple of guys that are tough but also can play a regular shift, that would be ideal. Legend has mentioned Carter Sandlak as a potential target. A couple of guys like him would be good additions.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
You must have me mixed up with ohltg ,I like to have a tough guy as a deterent,he is no more then a fourth line energy guy, sprinkled with some toughness,he is more valuable to the team with his off ice involvement in the community
Hey legend I remember you to be the biggest Bilke supporter. Obviously you nevr saw past his fights. Other than fight he has no very little hockey skill right from his first mini camp.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Bilcke makes Richard Greenop look like a sniper. And are other players in the league even intiminated by him? I mean yeah he fights alot, but he loses as many fights as he wins. He competes hard and I'm sure he is a favourite in the locker room, but the reality is he just isn't a very good hockey player. If they can add a couple of guys that are tough but also can play a regular shift, that would be ideal. Legend has mentioned Carter Sandlak as a potential target. A couple of guys like him would be good additions.

You've been reading my mail. Either Sandlack or Brassard would do the trick. Both would be ideal and eliminate the need for a one dimensional player such as Bilcke. I agree that Bilcke fights any and all comers but if a fighter is all you are looking for, he needs to be somebody everybody fears.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

This is a fair post and I don't take issue with it. My thought mainly comes from watching the Memorial Cup and not seeing anything that remotely resembled a fight. With the exception of London-Saskatoon games all the other games was high level hockey that was pretty exciting. Teams are built differently but in a tournament like this Bilcke would have been pretty useless. I have no issue personally with Bilcke I have an issue with people that want to talk him up like a power forward, or a guy with great "personality." We are talking hockey here not the Newlywed game.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You've been reading my mail. Either Sandlack or Brassard would do the trick. Both would be ideal and eliminate the need for a one dimensional player such as Bilcke. I agree that Bilcke fights any and all comers but if a fighter is all you are looking for, he needs to be somebody everybody fears.

That was my original point. With room for 2 more OA's you can bring in a guy like Brassard and find one other OA up front to score some goals who plays with some speed and bite like a Cameron Brace.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Rayzor, you never see fights in the Memorial Cup, but that doesn't mean teams don't have guys who can go with anyone. They just don't see much ice time.

People can also take issue with the "personality" comment, but off-ice stuff and protecting teammates is not something teams just go "meh" towards.

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
Halifax had no enforcer... but sure as hell had some tough as nails guys that could contribute in other areas of the games (Lewis is considered one of the toughest guys in the league).

Portland had no enforcer either but also had guys who could be tough and contribute.

The day of the one dimensional enforcer is gone... and good riddance. You need the multi-use guy who can play tough and drop the gloves when needed but can also contribute to other areas of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad