Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

Windsor Chief

Jan 3, 2011
Windsor
Owen Sound and Belleville might both be interested in a veteran tender if the price is right. There might be others with interest in Pav as well

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Owen Sound and Belleville might both be interested in a veteran tender if the price is right. There might be others with interest in Pav as well

The word I get is Pavelka is not coming back to the O
Owen Sd already has 2 Euros in Gavrus and Gabor,besides Pavelka would be
a 2 spotter O/A/Euro,Graham in Belleville is ready to take the reins,no need for Pavelka
and while Belleville has room with Zharkov moving on the 2 spotter thing applies here as well
I really dont see any other team interested in Pavelka

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Agreed HL. It'll be tough to find a gig for Pav.
I posted here a few weeks back Kuchemy (spits) had let his B team know he was in the plans. Hopefully he makes the best if it and gets some PT

StuCarterStats

May 25, 2013
How about Bob Jones for Sarnia job. His credentials are; an Assistant Coach with the Sudbury Wolves (2004 to 2007) and helped guide the team to the OHL Eastern Conference and the OHL Championship Final in 2007.

Jones also served as: Associate Coach and Assistant Director of Hockey Operations with the Toronto St. Michael’s Majors (2000 to 2004), Head Coach of Team Ontario's Gold Medal winning entry at the Under-17 World Junior Hockey Championships (2004), Assistant Coach with the Brampton Battalion (1999-2000) and Assistant Coach with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (1995 to 1998).

Jackman

Dec 8, 2009
How about Bob Jones for Sarnia job. His credentials are; an Assistant Coach with the Sudbury Wolves (2004 to 2007) and helped guide the team to the OHL Eastern Conference and the OHL Championship Final in 2007.

Jones also served as: Associate Coach and Assistant Director of Hockey Operations with the Toronto St. Michael’s Majors (2000 to 2004), Head Coach of Team Ontario's Gold Medal winning entry at the Under-17 World Junior Hockey Championships (2004), Assistant Coach with the Brampton Battalion (1999-2000) and Assistant Coach with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (1995 to 1998).

I agree 100%! I'd love to see Jones anywhere but behind the Spitfires bench this coming season.

spitz fan 4ever

May 13, 2012
on another note read that they are thinking of banning european goalies in the import draft, so canadian goalies get more of a chance since theres only 2 spots on each team and says it would happen at 2014 at earliest,,,lets see what happens

StuCarterStats

May 25, 2013
If you want to develop Canadians period and as far as the OHL is concerned the draft should get a complete over haul. My suggestion is having 3 drafts. OHL Priority Selection is 10 rounds (Canadians only). Import Draft stays 2 rounds. American Draft 3 rounds. 15 rounds total.

Crottenham

Jul 14, 2011
If you want to develop Canadians period and as far as the OHL is concerned the draft should get a complete over haul. My suggestion is having 3 drafts. OHL Priority Selection is 10 rounds (Canadians only). Import Draft stays 2 rounds. American Draft 3 rounds. 15 rounds total.

Move the draft back to after the Major Midget season also, better read on kids then. Know this would never happen given 18 year old NHL draft, but would benefit the players more.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With the signing today of Murray and Luchuk Spits now have 5-16 year olds under
contract
They are Moore,Burns,Murray,Luchuk and Johnston
Co incidently they are the 1st 5 players that they selectted rds 2 thru 5

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
D Josh Wesley defects from under 17 program to play for Plymouth next year. He's the son of former NHL D Glen Wesley. The arms race has already started, Warren needs to get going.

big papa

Apr 21, 2012
D Josh Wesley defects from under 17 program to play for Plymouth next year. He's the son of former NHL D Glen Wesley. The arms race has already started, Warren needs to get going.

Hopefully Warren gets going soon, he signed Sieloff around this time last year if im not mistaken maybe another big name Prospect will be signed to.

Does anyone know if Warren went up to the Draft Combine with Kerby? Maybe he can make a final push to sign some players we have rights to that are there as well

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

The OHL has teams in the USA. Would you limit their use of US kids as well? Or give them an unfair adv and allow them to have as many or few as they want while limiting Ontario teams.
And would you limit the amount of cards and not just limit drafting of US kids. Wed see a drop in talent IMO, but yes more ontario kids.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The OHL has teams in the USA. Would you limit their use of US kids as well? Or give them an unfair adv and allow them to have as many or few as they want while limiting Ontario teams.
And would you limit the amount of cards and not just limit drafting of US kids. Wed see a drop in talent IMO, but yes more ontario kids.

I would not limit the number of cards,in fact I would increase the limit by 2 or 3,no reason not to, with players away at NHL camps,world jrs,injuries,that or increase
the 10 game rule to 18 or 20 games

StuCarterStats

May 25, 2013

Yes teams in United States would only be allowed 3.

StuCarterStats

May 25, 2013
2013 Windsor Spitfires Mini Camp

Windsor Spitfires Mini Camp Information now available in PDF form. Will send out a copy via email. This will be the information provided to all attending the mini camp. Contact me at [email protected].

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I would not limit the number of cards,in fact I would increase the limit by 2 or 3,no reason not to, with players away at NHL camps,world jrs,injuries,that or increase
the 10 game rule to 18 or 20 games

More than one team, has got caught come trade deadline, with no cards left limiting any potential movement. (I was referring to US kids and cards only thou in my post- I just dont see limiting the draft of US kids as a good thing for the league or only allowing 3 US carded kids. What would Ply do lol- they always find impact US kids)

StuCarterStats--Yes teams in United States would only be allowed 3.

Not sure Id be a fan of this esp with 3 US teams in the O. You have to recruit a lot of these kids to come play and you dont always get a committment. Lowering the draft to only 3 would limit the pool of kids teams could recruit exclusively for themselves. There would even be a bigger pool of FAs as well. The "haves" may get an even bigger adv in attracting US kids if the draft were limited to 3.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
More than one team, has got caught come trade deadline, with no cards left limiting any potential movement. (I was referring to US kids and cards only thou in my post- I just dont see limiting the draft of US kids as a good thing for the league or only allowing 3 US carded kids. What would Ply do lol- they always find impact US kids)

Not sure Id be a fan of this esp with 3 US teams in the O. You have to recruit a lot of these kids to come play and you dont always get a committment. Lowering the draft to only 3 would limit the pool of kids teams could recruit exclusively for themselves. There would even be a bigger pool of FAs as well. The "haves" may get an even bigger adv in attracting US kids if the draft were limited to 3.

I would agree with everything u wrote,not in favour of any limitations and or restrictions

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
A few impressions from todays' 1st rookie camp session,a game won by Team Blue 4-2
over Team Red
Starting with Team Red, despite allowing 4 goals but 1 in the last half actually I was impressed with all 5 Dmen
Beginning with Sanvido,who impressed with his increased physicality,Burns though not big
at 5"11 showed poise and promise with the puck and his breakouts,along with a decent dose of physicality,Baughman the 17 year old American drafted last yr started tentatively
but came on in the 2nd half improving in all areas including puck movement,engaged play
and defensive awareness,but the 2 that caught me were 16 year olds Markovic and Kotsovos though he turns 17 in Dec,both played very well,displayed nastiness,a great bit of hitting,these 2 were trying to hit everything in sight,was a joy to see I must say,the Markovic kid for a 16 year old really jumped out at me,might be a steal from the 6th rd,upfront Hosang was his usual whirling dervish self sometimes u are in awe other times he coughs up the puck much like last yr,Ryan Moore impressed with his speed and grit plus hockey sense might be a treat going forward,free agent Ryan Foss a big kid showed
some nice hands and chemistry with Hosang upfront,apparently they have played together growing up and at times it showed,free agent forward Darren Brady played and showed some nice wheels,while 16 year Michael Andlauer worked hard and got involved
in a physical way,the other forwards for team red including Jared Leslie did not do much
As for the goalies,Eli Billing was okay not great,gave up 3 goals in 1st half,while 18 year old FA Paolo Battisti actually played well allowing just 1 goal and used his big 6"4 frame efffectively

For Team Blue,Goalie Brendan Johnson who played 40 of the 50 minutes played very well
giving up 2 goals,seemed to be focused and was very calm and methodical in the cage,Billing played the last 10 minutes and did very well making a couple outstanding saves
The defence played very well including Grahame Brown,Liam Murray,Michael Alberga and
Lucas Zitmanis,sound position play with the right amount of physical play,while the other Dman 16 year Matt Busby struggled at times with the speed and size of some of the older forwards,his turning reallly needs work
Upfront forwards Rob Demontis,Cameron Hughes,Matt Kenney,Mason Schmitt,Aaron Luchuk and Vince Scognamligio were all impressive,Demontis with his speed and sick hand skills.Hughes with his size and skill,liked him alot,Kenney despite being small showed skill and grit,Schmitt and Scognamligio displayed a ton of grit with their grit and drove the red D to distraction at times,Luchuck showed a nice blend of skill and smarts,along with a good work ethic
Ryan Verbeek was ok but not outstanding,while Daniel Miller a big forward from Pitt but living in Erie PA played ok though I understand he is not 100 per cent and is gutting things out
Finally Ryker Killins who played upfront but was drafted as a Dman actually did not look out of place on the wing showing good hustle and grit
Last yr as a 16 yr old Dman in JrB with Stratford,he scored 9 goals and had 13 assists,not bad numbers,just dont where this kid fits upfront or on defence
Well thats it for now,thanks for reading
Considering it was the 1st workout a fairly impressive day,will be interested to see
what tomorrow brings

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just a couple things to add:

- Eli Billing seems to be great down low, but has the issues upstairs. He's agile and made a couple of fantastic saves with the pads/stick, but when he crouches over, he's below the cross-bar. Players were going high on him routinely.

- Kenney is a dead ringer for Adam Henrique and plays a bit like him, too. Was impressed.

- Demontis comes as advertised; good speed, good awareness, and fits in well. I can see him being one to watch for a while.

- I was impressed with the physical play of almost everyone out there. Nobody shied away and lots of guys were looking to make their mark, literally.

- One thing the coaches said at the start was no fighting allowed in the camp. I remember a few years ago, there were several fights over multiple camps, so this was a chance of pace.

- Pictures will be available soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia