OT: Official Video Game Thread (Part 4)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Anyone have a Nintendo switch? Is it worth it?

I do. It's tough to say at this point. Zelda is definitely a great game but if you have a Wii U maybe just buy that version instead. There are decent games coming down the road if you're into Nintendo games.

It's basically like any other console at launch. There's very limited games but it'll get better as it goes along.

The biggest question is if you already have a Wii U. If you do there probably isn't much of a reason to buy one at this point but if you don't there's Zelda, Mario Kart, and I suspect other great Wii U games might be ported as well.

There are also issues with the hardware, not that I have experienced but I would do some research and decide for yourself.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I liked Vesperia and Abyss and have thought about trying another one. Though I lack a PS4 at the moment...

Which ones have you played?

Same as you, as well as about 8-10 hours of Zestiria (which ties into Berseria, but I dropped it in order to play Berseria because it has a much more engaging story IMO). Played a bit of Xillia as well, but lost interest fairly quickly in that one.

I don't know, Berseria just feels more fun to play for me, and it's definitely one of the more unique stories in the Tales series IMO.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
Anyone have a Nintendo switch? Is it worth it?

Not yet. I would suggest waiting until summer or fall. Firmware is not in a fully complete state (VC, online services, etc.), and right now there isn't much available to only it unless you are really interested in snipperclips, fast rmx, or 1-2 switch.

It's a good hybrid system, but is missing things. Wait unless you really feel like spending the money now.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The Switch sure looks like a Nintendo console. One great game, shockingly bad online infrastructure (improvements supposedly forthcoming, although they have a long way to go before they can justify charging a subscription fee), and enough of a supply shortage to fuel another season of scalping.

Controversial opinion: Zelda isn't discernibly better than like 5 games that have come out on PS4 over the last 6 weeks. Anybody who spends $500+ to play it on a Switch is clinically insane. Or rich, in which case good for you.

Although one thing I will say is that the Switch's scheduled lineup for the year is actually better than Microsoft's, barring some significant stuff at E3. They need Mario and Xenoblade to make it out for holidays.

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Thanks for the input guys. I'll take your advice and wait on the nintendo switch. Plus i don't see many games for it at this point in time. Actually if Xbox/Playstation came up with a hybrid gaming system that would do a lot of damage. Playing call of duty or battlefield 1 multiplayer on a handheld console would be pretty awesome.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Thanks for the input guys. I'll take your advice and wait on the nintendo switch. Plus i don't see many games for it at this point in time. Actually if Xbox/Playstation came up with a hybrid gaming system that would do a lot of damage. Playing call of duty or battlefield 1 multiplayer on a handheld console would be pretty awesome.

I don't think Microsoft will tackle the handheld market and Sony already dabbled in it. The Vita is a fantastic piece of hardware but suffers heavily from having no must buy games that you can't get on another system.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Mobile hardware that could run current generation stuff will always end up being too expensive to manufacture, especially given that most people would have no interest in it, since they'd rather continue to play flash games on their phones that they already have.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
My weekend will be spent indoors while I'm taking care of someone's cat (along with my own *****y cat), so I think I'm going to get into HZD this weekend finally. Assuming I don't have any issues with the cats that is, lol.

I wish I had a WiiU, as Zelda has always been the one franchise that I wish I had gotten into at any stage (I went from NES to Sega and then never looked back to Nintendo again, moving on to Sega CD and then have been a Playstation guy from then on). But I'm not going to buy a new console just to play it. Might see if I can convince a friend to go 50/50 on BotW as she has a WiiU that she doesn't really use much just so I can play it, haha. Everything I've seen from it so far has been amazing.

No Man's Sky has gotten a nice new update with a lot of new features and fixes. In all honesty, aside from it's ****** release and what is had at release, it's actually starting to look like a full game for once. I might give it another try. Permadeath mode could be interesting, and the vehicles that you can drive around planets look really cool.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
My weekend will be spent indoors while I'm taking care of someone's cat (along with my own *****y cat), so I think I'm going to get into HZD this weekend finally. Assuming I don't have any issues with the cats that is, lol.

I wish I had a WiiU, as Zelda has always been the one franchise that I wish I had gotten into at any stage (I went from NES to Sega and then never looked back to Nintendo again, moving on to Sega CD and then have been a Playstation guy from then on). But I'm not going to buy a new console just to play it. Might see if I can convince a friend to go 50/50 on BotW as she has a WiiU that she doesn't really use much just so I can play it, haha. Everything I've seen from it so far has been amazing.

No Man's Sky has gotten a nice new update with a lot of new features and fixes. In all honesty, aside from it's ****** release and what is had at release, it's actually starting to look like a full game for once. I might give it another try. Permadeath mode could be interesting, and the vehicles that you can drive around planets look really cool.

You super missed out, the SNES is probably the best system ever, and the N64 and Game Cub were great as well.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You super missed out, the SNES is probably the best system ever, and the N64 and Game Cub were great as well.

The SNES is the greatest system of all time but since I missed out on it when I was a kid (my brother and I chose Genesis) I didn't own one for awhile. The N64 on the other hand has a slew of great multiplayer games.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

The SNES is the greatest system of all time but since I missed out on it when I was a kid (my brother and I chose Genesis) I didn't own one for awhile. The N64 on the other hand has a slew of great multiplayer games.

I did get to play a bit on SNES with friends and whatnot, but I never felt as if I missed out. There were plenty of really good games for the Genesis and SegaCD (in fact my favorite game of all time was for Sega CD - Dark Wizard... there is a site that you can play this game online though I don't remember what site. But I would recommend it to fans of turn based strategy games... graphics are ****, but the gameplay is very good, and storylines are fantastic and varied).

I was never a really big fan of the N64, and I hated the Gamecube, lol.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Honestly sometimes its too bad that Nintendo doesnt just make games for playstation and xbox. They have some of the most creative people in terms of creating games. They make a lot of unique games that are fresh and fun and have tons of beloved characters. Problem with their systems since the super nes is that they just dont have enough third party support. I dont know if Switch will be better than WiiU in terms of third party support but even if it is better its probably going to be miles behind ps and xbox.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
So in order to prep myself for Nier: Automata, someone directed me to this all-encompassing video that was supposed to be "essential viewing" for understanding the storylines and lore that lead up to Automata.

After watching all 27 minutes, I'm undecided if Yoko Taro is a genius or just completely off his rocker. I have to admit I had a good laugh though. Oh, Japan. :laugh:

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think Microsoft will tackle the handheld market and Sony already dabbled in it. The Vita is a fantastic piece of hardware but suffers heavily from having no must buy games that you can't get on another system.

Even then Sony is getting out of the hand held market. Stopped production of the device last year. I went to try and find one this Christmas and it was hard to find.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Even then Sony is getting out of the hand held market. Stopped production of the device last year. I went to try and find one this Christmas and it was hard to find.

Ya the support just wasn't there, and it's too bad. They even stopped putting out FIFA games. I love my vita though. It's hands down the best handheld to have come out

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Ya the support just wasn't there, and it's too bad. They even stopped putting out FIFA games. I love my vita though. It's hands down the best handheld to have come out

The official final nail in the coffin.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

They didn't stop making Fifa for PS2 until the PS4 launched.... final year was Fifa 14.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

Agreed. The Vita was so much better than the 3ds but the 3ds had the games. I'm just waiting until I can hack my Vita to play emulators and homebrew on it.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
The official final nail in the coffin.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

They didn't stop making Fifa for PS2 until the PS4 launched.... final year was Fifa 14.

Alot of that had to do with some areas of the world still using larger numbers of PS2 to PS4 because of how expensive they were. This was the case for areas like Brazil. But they also continued it for that year because Brazil was hosting the World Cup so they wanted to target the host nation's gamers.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
So in order to prep myself for Nier: Automata, someone directed me to this all-encompassing video that was supposed to be "essential viewing" for understanding the storylines and lore that lead up to Automata.

After watching all 27 minutes, I'm undecided if Yoko Taro is a genius or just completely off his rocker. I have to admit I had a good laugh though. Oh, Japan. :laugh:

Taro seems to know a bit about philosophy and has some interesting things to say. The wrappings to his stories are MGS-style nonsense, but the stuff that happens in those wrappings is usually really good. He's good with characters and relationships, mainly.

Having almost platinum'd Automata I would say that something like this is probably better for prep. (Yes, that's him manning the sock puppet).

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Taro seems to know a bit about philosophy and has some interesting things to say. The wrappings to his stories are MGS-style nonsense, but the stuff that happens in those wrappings is usually really good. He's good with characters and relationships, mainly.

Having almost platinum'd Automata I would say that something like this is probably better for prep. (Yes, that's him manning the sock puppet).

Excellent, thanks very much for this. :popcorn:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Also this game kinda has the best soundtrack I've ever heard?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad