OT: Official Video Game Thread (Part 4)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That's true for adventure games for sure. Hell I was stuck on a game for over two years before I finally figured out the solution. It was quite the feeling of accomplishment. :laugh: It would have been 2 minutes if the internet was around back then.

But the term "NES Hard" exists for a reason. Some of those side scrolling action games were damn near impossible. Today's games with their multiple save points and check points just don't compare.

Just beating some of those games is impressive.

Speedrunning them is even more impressive. I couldn't beat Punch Out on my own, and some people do it blindfolded.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Just beating some of those games is impressive.

Speedrunning them is even more impressive. I couldn't beat Punch Out on my own, and some people do it blindfolded.

My greatest video game accomplishment was beating Punch-Out from start to finish without getting hit. I was 12.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That's true for adventure games for sure. Hell I was stuck on a game for over two years before I finally figured out the solution. It was quite the feeling of accomplishment. :laugh: It would have been 2 minutes if the internet was around back then.

But the term "NES Hard" exists for a reason. Some of those side scrolling action games were damn near impossible. Today's games with their multiple save points and check points just don't compare.

I remember playing Super Contra on NES as a kid.

Absolutely loved it and played it for years, but I think I only made it to the third level a couple of times haha.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I used to walk my dad's first two batters in Intellivision baseball just to turn triple plays on him. :sarcasm:

There was a glitch in MLB 99 where you could get 3 out on 2 batters. If you caught the ball in the air and threw it to first without it hitting the ground and stepped off the bag and threw it back to first to the pitcher now covering. If you keep repeating the first base part over and over again until the ball goes straight into the air and catch it again the umpire calls a second out. I kept doing this to my brother when we would play. Cheap sure, but no different then Bo Jackson in tecmo bowl or the corner 3 in Double Dribble.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Now imagine getting it for free with no expectations. Haven't played it for a while but I doubt I'll get uninstall it from my PS4.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I bought this randomly once with low expectations. Now have 100+ hours, easily my most played game over the last 5 years. So fun.

One... more... game...

Easily my most played game since I got a ps4 around Christmas. So easy to get into but so hard to get good at.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I bought this randomly once with low expectations. Now have 100+ hours, easily my most played game over the last 5 years. So fun.

One... more... game...

So simple but so addictive... I just discovered you can trade items with other players on xbox one so I've been even more hooked!

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It's just not worth the price tag, more so given the Switches potential of just being another paper weight. Disappointing to hear that the Wii U version seems to have issues, since I was just going to end up borrowing that from my cousin down the road.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

This game isn't going to sell nearly as many copies as it deserves to sell.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I speed ran Final Fantasy 8 in 24 hours....real time not in game time. Slept for 8 hours of that time.

Since you speed ran it, maybe you can tell me. And others that post in this thread of course. I'm assuming you've played the other FF's.

What was FF8 like compared to other ones. It's the only one I played of the entire series. I just wasn't into the Japanese RPG animation thing. I liked it quite a bit, seemed like a cool game.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Since you speed ran it, maybe you can tell me. And others that post in this thread of course. I'm assuming you've played the other FF's.

What was FF8 like compared to other ones. It's the only one I played of the entire series. I just wasn't into the Japanese RPG animation thing. I liked it quite a bit, seemed like a cool game.

6>7>9>4>8 says my childhood.

I didn't include 10 and higher because dodging 200 consecutive lightning strikes and Chocobo 0.00 race timers killed my childhood.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

I didn't include 10 and higher because dodging 200 consecutive lightning strikes and Chocobo 0.00 race timers killed my childhood.

So I basically played the worst of the bunch and didn't mind it? Interesting indeed.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
So I basically played the worst of the bunch and didn't mind it? Interesting indeed.

I guess depending what you liked about FF8. I just couldn't get behind 8's story and I thought the graphics took a hit from 7. I mean...

4c1.jpg

I mean, compared to video games these days the graphics on any of these games are lame. Pure storywise and gameplay, you should check out 6 & 7. 6 is easily available on AppStore/emulators/etc. and 7 is getting remastered and re-released at some point (this year?).

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I'd say the slight majority opinion is that 8 was the worst of the PS1 era. Honestly I'd consider 7, 8, and 9 a toss up.

The graphics didn't get worse, it's mainly just that anatomically correct characters didn't start to look "good" until the PS2 pretty much across the board. If anything, 8 probably came around too early. If it was a PS2 game with more polygons and voice work I think the game would be thought of much more highly.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton

Personally I enjoyed it alot, but it is often seen as one of the weaker of the single digit Final Fantasies. Often what i hear people complain about it is the magic and draw system. I had no problem with the graphic as mentioned by the above people, as syz said this was the first time they tried making anatomically correct characters, but were limited in what they could do on a CD so there was limitations on memory and what they could do. The card game was a plus for me, and I really enjoyed the music. Never learned how to play the piano, but I taught myself part of Eyes on Me....though I have since forgotten it.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014

Nothing kills childhood better than this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad