OT: Official Video Game Thread (Part 4)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Just finished Horizon Zero Dawn - that game is incredible. Highly recommended.

Now getting into Nier: Automata. Only an hour in but fun so far.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I'm also 100% in on Wolfenstein 2. That and Dragon Ball Fighters are the only things that are guaranteed buys at this point.

Also, Nintendo is listing their upcoming games on Canadian retailers for $99, so... doesn't really matter how good Mario ends up being, won't be buying it. Going to be a nightmare if Sony follows suit.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
I'm also 100% in on Wolfenstein 2. That and Dragon Ball Fighters are the only things that are guaranteed buys at this point.

Also, Nintendo is listing their upcoming games on Canadian retailers for $99, so... doesn't really matter how good Mario ends up being, won't be buying it. Going to be a nightmare if Sony follows suit.

Depends if Nintendo is offering a lot of DLC or not.. new games now (on digital download at least) start at 80 and typically have 100 and 120-130 dollar versions. If you're getting full game for 100 bucks that's a bit better than the norm now sadly.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
For anyone interested, they dropped Call of Cthulhu: The Official Video Game at E3. Looks pretty good for those interested.

Ugh, and the pain begins again.

For literally years, I've been dying for a quality FPS experience in the Cthulhu mythos. I want to like what this trailer promises, I really do.

But then I remember the heinous crime that was Dark Corners of the Earth, and my PTSD starts kicking in all over again.

That horribly designed "Escape the hotel room but if you make even the slightest mistake in the upcoming chase sequence you die!" level nearly broke my will to live. :rant:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I love how they just casually announce it on their twitter on a Monday with zero fanfare instead of two weeks ago when the whole gaming world was watching E3.

Nice to see Star Fox 2 for the first time. Certainly a decent collection of some of the best games.

Would've liked to see FFII but I already own that so FFIII is nice. And of course, Earthbound.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Star Fox 2 has definitely been floating around the internet for a while now.

Also congratulations in advance to the 5 scalpers who manage to get one.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Star Fox 2 has definitely been floating around the internet for a while now.

Also congratulations in advance to the 5 scalpers who manage to get one.

So has Mother 3, doesn't stop people from asking about it every single year. After SFZ, Star Fox could use a boost. Especially since Nintendo remembered Metroid existed.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Ehh... no Uniracers or Chrono Trigger.

CHrono Trigger can be bought and played on the Vita, PSP and PS3 for $10 on the playstation network. Kind of surprised it wasn't ported to the PS4 yet.

I love how they just casually announce it on their twitter on a Monday with zero fanfare instead of two weeks ago when the whole gaming world was watching E3.

Nice to see Star Fox 2 for the first time. Certainly a decent collection of some of the best games.

Would've liked to see FFII but I already own that so FFIII is nice. And of course, Earthbound.

Are we talking North America or Japan FF2 and FF3?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Right, I suppose it would be, I also know that most of the FF games and Chrono are available on apple and android devices now too.

Yes they are, though the updated visuals of 3/6 are a bit... off in my mind. I got past them eventually but I still prefer the classic SNES graphics.

Last edited:

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Based on the beta, surprise surprise, EA lobs another turd in its NHL franchise. One must wonder how many times a company can release the exact same game every year and still have people buy it. Makes this year number 6. Or 7. I've lost count. Please, oh please, 2K, make an NHL game already!

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The more expensive video game development gets, the less reason anybody has to make a good NHL game. Not popular enough for publishers to care.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The more expensive video game development gets, the less reason anybody has to make a good NHL game. Not popular enough for publishers to care.

It seems to me to be a chicken or egg scenario. Does EA not put much money into its NHL franchise because it's unpopular, or is the franchise unpopular because EA puts nothing into it. I would say the latter is true. The franchise has been bad and derivative for years and years now. Who wants to play this crap anymore?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad