OT: Official Video Game Thread (Part 4)

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Agreed. The Vita was so much better than the 3ds but the 3ds had the games. I'm just waiting until I can hack my Vita to play emulators and homebrew on it.

That seems like a distant dream last i heard, which sucks because the PSP was awesome for it. The PSP ruled for emulation because of the native PSONE support, heck i hook it up to my TV from time to time still to play PSP and PSONE games.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Hey guys. I don't game a lot anymore, but any word on new systems like PS and Xbox. I'm still using the XBox 360 for a few games my kid plays and for Netflix, youtubes etc...I'm going to check for myself online, but I'd like a real world perspective from (hopefully) non or at least not so much fan boys.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Hey guys. I don't game a lot anymore, but any word on new systems like PS and Xbox. I'm still using the XBox 360 for a few games my kid plays and for Netflix, youtubes etc...I'm going to check for myself online, but I'd like a real world perspective from (hopefully) non or at least not so much fan boys.

There's no real difference at this stage but the games.

Both systems are functional media players. The Xbox One S and the PS4 Pro both have 4K support, with the PS4 Pro supporting 4K resolution in-game. The Xbox Scorpio is the 4K Xbox One, coming later this year.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
There's no real difference at this stage but the games.

Both systems are functional media players. The Xbox One S and the PS4 Pro both have 4K support, with the PS4 Pro supporting 4K resolution in-game. The Xbox Scorpio is the 4K Xbox One, coming later this year.

Thanks for savng me about 2 hours digging through a **** tonne of info just to get to what you just said.

Appreciate it!!

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It bears repeating that Horizon: Zero Dawn is one hell of a good game. It has sold over 2 million copies for a reason. Huge numbers for a new IP.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Thanks for savng me about 2 hours digging through a **** tonne of info just to get to what you just said.

Appreciate it!!

I'd add that one of the most important factors is determining what the majority of their friends use if they're going to be gaming online. You wanna have same system as your buddies.

As was already mentioned xbox has halo, gears of war, and Forza as exclusives. Ps4 has uncharted, last of us, ratchet and clank etc. But most of the aaa titles are on both consoles. Ps4 also has psvr if you're interested in virtual reality.

If you don't have a 4k tv and have no plans of getting one in the next few years, both the ps4 slim and xbox one s are cheaper than their 4k counterparts are/will be. I have a ps4 slim and I've been very happy with it so far. I also prefer the ps4 controllers, but since your kids already have an Xbox 360 they may be more comfortable with the xbone controllers.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'd add that one of the most important factors is determining what the majority of their friends use if they're going to be gaming online. You wanna have same system as your buddies.

As was already mentioned xbox has halo, gears of war, and Forza as exclusives. Ps4 has uncharted, last of us, ratchet and clank etc. But most of the aaa titles are on both consoles. Ps4 also has psvr if you're interested in virtual reality.

If you don't have a 4k tv and have no plans of getting one in the next few years, both the ps4 slim and xbox one s are cheaper than their 4k counterparts are/will be. I have a ps4 slim and I've been very happy with it so far. I also prefer the ps4 controllers, but since your kids already have an Xbox 360 they may be more comfortable with the xbone controllers.
Thanks for that. We're planning to upgrade the TV's soon to the 4K version, so I'll hang out with what I have till a later date more than likely. Re: controllers....for sure...we've exclusively used Xbox since its inception, so if there isn't a real vast difference in the games, it'll more than likely be Xbone for me. Don't wanna be hassled with figuring out new **** at this point.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Maybe wait until after this year's E3 before deciding. It's only a couple months away.

Oh yeah, it'll definitely be after that. I like to start checking things out early is all. Hell, it took me almost an entire year to get the current TV I'm using. I do a lot of research on these types of things. It's an affectation of mine.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yea, buying an Xbox at this point seems pointless. They're announcing new hardware and they currently have nearly no games scheduled.

Although people are thinking the Scorpio will be pretty expensive, even before the Canadian dollar bumps it up another $150.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Yea, buying an Xbox at this point seems pointless. They're announcing new hardware and they currently have nearly no games scheduled.

Although people are thinking the Scorpio will be pretty expensive, even before the Canadian dollar bumps it up another $150.

I just bought a ps4 a few months ago to replace my ps3 and I've loved it. It's a good time to upgrade if you're an Xbox guy too. A lot of the aaa titles are cheap now.

I'd agree that a Scorpio is not a good buy if it's over $500. You can get a one s with a game for $330 that supports 4k media. I think that's a good buy.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Started playing breath of the wild.

Man that game is awesome. Takes Zelda games to a whole new level, truly. The open world is just fascinating and there's always something interesting just off in the distance. I see many hours being put into it.

Dakine879

Apr 24, 2015
Edmonton
Hey i'm just using this opportunity to vent, i'm an old guy on PS3 and i started Dark Souls, im ready to quit i can't beat those 2 gargoyles

at one point i just about put my controller through my tv screen

end rant. just needed to get it off my chest. go oil.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Hey i'm just using this opportunity to vent, i'm an old guy on PS3 and i started Dark Souls, im ready to quit i can't beat those 2 gargoyles

Welcome to the Nightmare that is Dark Souls. Don't worry, you'll figure out them Gargoyles. Takes a bit of time though.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Dark Souls, the fans call it "a real challenge" the rest of call it unnecessarily hard and with stupid deaths.

Best advice, watch Youtube walkthrus (seriously) and bring summons with you, makes a big difference.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Has anyone played much of the new Mass Effect game yet? I pre-ordered it, but the release date also turned out to be the birthdate of my second child, so needless to say, I haven't had time to pick it up yet.

I know the pre-release reviews were pretty down on it, but I was wondering if anyone here has played much of it and to get their thoughts.

I still can't wait to get started once I'm able to carve out a little window of free time.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Has anyone played much of the new Mass Effect game yet? I pre-ordered it, but the release date also turned out to be the birthdate of my second child, so needless to say, I haven't had time to pick it up yet.

I know the pre-release reviews were pretty down on it, but I was wondering if anyone here has played much of it and to get their thoughts.

I still can't wait to get started once I'm able to carve out a little window of free time.

The best summary I've heard is that it's Mass Effect's direct to video sequel that was rushed out the door to meet a fiscal deadline. Writing seems bad, technical side seems worse than it was before.

Dunno, I was never a ME fan, but I've had hardcore fans tell me that it's perfectly reasonable to skip this one, especially since it's releasing in the middle of several other GOTY contenders.

Dakine879

Apr 24, 2015
Edmonton
Welcome to the Nightmare that is Dark Souls. Don't worry, you'll figure out them Gargoyles. Takes a bit of time though.

Dark Souls, the fans call it "a real challenge" the rest of call it unnecessarily hard and with stupid deaths.

Best advice, watch Youtube walkthrus (seriously) and bring summons with you, makes a big difference.

I DID IT AHHHHHHHHHHHH.. thanks guys. that was difficult for sure.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Last night my son and I got 100% completion in overcooked. Most fun we've had in a couch co-op since rayman origins. Definitely recommend it to parents who play with there kids, or couples who game together. Thinking about downloading bro force, or guacamelee to play with him next. Open to other suggestions too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00