OT: Official Sports Media Thread VIII - Milbury out as NBC hockey analyst after 14 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I'd love this:

Here’s a suggestion when sports return: Wire everything for sound - The Boston Globe

I have one request for all of the sports television executives who are sorting through the complex logistics and trying to figure out how to make their broadcasts as compelling as possible when our favorite sports return.

Give us that authentic audio, all of it. Give us the real in-game candor. Give us the real sounds of the game, and especially give us the trashiest of trash-talk, even if it requires a 10-second delay to filter out all of the four-letter words.

Mike up everything and everyone — the players, the referees, the coaches, and anyone else who happens to be inside the almost certainly fan- and broadcaster-free venues.

Mike up the inanimate things too, especially on those NBA broadcasts, like the court (more ambient noise of squeaking sneakers, please), the rim, and even the Lopez twins.

The television networks that hold the broadcast rights to the major professional sports leagues — as well as golf, tennis, and many other sports — have an opportunity worth seizing here.

The COVID-19 pandemic and the lingering uncertainty of what’s to come guarantees that sports broadcasts will be different. How different depends on how creative the various networks want to get to make them appealing at a time when there will be no cheering crowds to spark emotions and set the mood.

From this vantage point, miking up as many people as possible is the most obvious way to add some intrigue and flavor to the broadcasts. I think sometimes we forget how much talking is actually going on during the game, especially in the NFL, where we almost never get to hear what one player says to another after a big hit or important play.

But that’s not the only way to enhance the broadcasts. During a recent conversation, Jack Edwards, the Bruins play-by-play voice on NESN, suggested having mobile cameras connected to cables tracking players up and down the ice, almost as if the viewer is part of the play with them. That’s something that wouldn’t be possible with fans in, say, the Garden, because the cameras would constantly interfere with the sight lines in the lower bowl.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'd love this:

Here’s a suggestion when sports return: Wire everything for sound - The Boston Globe

I have one request for all of the sports television executives who are sorting through the complex logistics and trying to figure out how to make their broadcasts as compelling as possible when our favorite sports return.

Give us that authentic audio, all of it. Give us the real in-game candor. Give us the real sounds of the game, and especially give us the trashiest of trash-talk, even if it requires a 10-second delay to filter out all of the four-letter words.

Mike up everything and everyone — the players, the referees, the coaches, and anyone else who happens to be inside the almost certainly fan- and broadcaster-free venues.

Mike up the inanimate things too, especially on those NBA broadcasts, like the court (more ambient noise of squeaking sneakers, please), the rim, and even the Lopez twins.

The television networks that hold the broadcast rights to the major professional sports leagues — as well as golf, tennis, and many other sports — have an opportunity worth seizing here.

The COVID-19 pandemic and the lingering uncertainty of what’s to come guarantees that sports broadcasts will be different. How different depends on how creative the various networks want to get to make them appealing at a time when there will be no cheering crowds to spark emotions and set the mood.

From this vantage point, miking up as many people as possible is the most obvious way to add some intrigue and flavor to the broadcasts. I think sometimes we forget how much talking is actually going on during the game, especially in the NFL, where we almost never get to hear what one player says to another after a big hit or important play.

But that’s not the only way to enhance the broadcasts. During a recent conversation, Jack Edwards, the Bruins play-by-play voice on NESN, suggested having mobile cameras connected to cables tracking players up and down the ice, almost as if the viewer is part of the play with them. That’s something that wouldn’t be possible with fans in, say, the Garden, because the cameras would constantly interfere with the sight lines in the lower bowl.

they absolutely have to innovate here with the broadcast. Camera angles and audio changes are a must. This is a weird comparison, but even the WWE has altered their broadcasts. The most stubborn man of all time, Vincent Kennedy McMahon, finally did something to mix it up without fans. They rotated their main camera 90 degrees, put a bunch of their own staff at ringside for ambient noise, and have experimented with other camera angles during the action.

it has helped!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Claude on WEEI at 10:30 to talk about getting back & being over 60 with the covid issues

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Claude on WEEI at 10:30 to talk about getting back & being over 60 with the covid issues

f*** him right in his stupid face. The only reason he has to worry about coming back during a pandemic is because the league wanted it. His team was not deserving of ever sniffing the playoffs this year and they don't belong. This is also why whatever team wins the cup this year will be an abomination and should have an asterisk.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
f*** him right in his stupid face. The only reason he has to worry about coming back during a pandemic is because the league wanted it. His team was not deserving of ever sniffing the playoffs this year and they don't belong. This is also why whatever team wins the cup this year will be an abomination and should have an asterisk.
He said he got out of Montreal 4 days after league stopped and returned to summer home - doesn’t he still live here ?

if the Bruins especially win I will have 0.0 problem with the Cup

they were best team last year were the best team this year

My only issue with the Bruins winning Cup is it didn’t see it live

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He said he got out of Montreal 4 days after league stopped and returned to summer home - doesn’t he still live here ?

if the Bruins especially win I will have 0.0 problem with the Cup

they were best team last year were the best team this year

My only issue with the Bruins winning Cup is it didn’t see it live

And that's why it wouldn't feel authentic to me. No crowds. Not at the Garden. In a randomly selected city that likely doesn't give a shit about the team/teams playing in the finals. In reality, they should have stayed closed and just started back up next season.

That being said, I'd still be happy they won it. And I'd definitely throw it in the faces of my friends that are Leafs and Habs fans. Not even a question. :laugh:

Reactions: BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
And that's why it wouldn't feel authentic to me. No crowds. Not at the Garden. In a randomly selected city that likely doesn't give a shit about the team/teams playing in the finals. In reality, they should have stayed closed and just started back up next season.

That being said, I'd still be happy they won it. And I'd definitely throw it in the faces of my friends that are Leafs and Habs fans. Not even a question. :laugh:
I agree

they should wait till December but because of what happened game 7 last June, where the Bruins are now, and the ages of key players they need to win this year and/or next

the team was built for a 3 year powerful run 2019-21

Reactions: LSCII

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
They should just call the season and award the cup to the to the top team or no one gets it. Then they could continue on with the offseason and then training camp. It’s really simple, except for greed

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Yesterday Minihane said that according to someone pretty reputable in the radio world Entercom is going to blow everything up in the next few weeks and that everyone at WEEI will be out.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yesterday Minihane said that according to someone pretty reputable in the radio world Entercom is going to blow everything up in the next few weeks and that everyone at WEEI will be out.

I am so sad to hear this

said nobody ever

edit. I lied. That was harsh. I’m sure there are plenty of good people under the employ of WEEI, their on air content is just that bad

Reactions: BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not buying everyone

I tried listening to Kirk’s podcast but it’s built around two things - Kirk’s vendettas (which don’t interest me) and crapping on his minions.

He is not sustainable on WEEI if he returned with that format - just too bleeping boring

I would move Ordway off and put Hart in his place - he would have good chemistry

DJ Bean is talented and I like Pete Blackburn - not sure they would be able to pull it off without a regular like Rich Keefe who is also off the wall

Felger & Mazz when Felger is in a positive mindset like he’s been will own 2-6. They have a plus on everything from brains, sense of humor, self -depreciation, and sports interest

they keep it just light enough and ate great at thinking out loud

I’m 100% sure since I been there but their kids ages and their impact on F&M has made them way more unplugged and enjoyable

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I’m not buying everyone

I tried listening to Kirk’s podcast but it’s built around two things - Kirk’s vendettas (which don’t interest me) and crapping on his minions.

He is not sustainable on WEEI if he returned with that format - just too bleeping boring

I would move Ordway off and put Hart in his place - he would have good chemistry

DJ Bean is talented and I like Pete Blackburn - not sure they would be able to pull it off without a regular like Rich Keefe who is also off the wall

Felger & Mazz when Felger is in a positive mindset like he’s been will own 2-6. They have a plus on everything from brains, sense of humor, self -depreciation, and sports interest

I’m 100% sure since I been there but their kids ages and their impact on F&M has made them way more unplugged and enjoyable
Maybe if CBS Sports Radio Shuts down WEEI can give DA an offer he can’t refuse to do afternoon drive in Boston.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I’m not buying everyone

It’s why they make chocolate and pepperoni, but I’d rather chew tin foil for an hour than listen to Felger and/or Mazz for 5 minutes.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I knew there was a reason I like you :nod: :naughty: :laugh:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Entercom is reeling nationwide and they are now rumored to be close to merging WINS and WCBS in New York as one station. They have had massive layoffs in Chicago and Philadelphia.

Why do you think CBS wanted out of the radio business so badly 3 years ago.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
More layoffs at the Herald.

This honestly shocks me. Bulpett is as good a beat writer as there is in this town.

Nobody wins unless everybody wins. Basketball is lowest on my totem pole of sports but I know Bulpett was a longtime mainstay, and now he's gone, along with John Connolly, etc.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I've seen Joe McDonald with a couple bylines again on The Athletic in recent days, I guess that means he's back? Or they are just putting out articles he wrote before being laid off? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad