OT: Official Sports Media Thread VIII - Milbury out as NBC hockey analyst after 14 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
In a time of media layoffs, here’s some love for the hiring of Scott Van Pelt - The Boston Globe

▪ NESN is producing two new original Bruins and Red Sox All-Time Fantasy Draft shows that will debut on successive Sundays (June 14 and 21) at 7 p.m. Adam Pellerin will host both shows, while six members of the respective NESN broadcast teams draft their all-time fantasy teams of former and current players in an S-Curve format. Gotta go Bobby Orr and Ted Williams with the first picks, right? Though Pedro Martinez is tempting.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

upload_2020-6-10_17-20-48.png

upload_2020-6-10_17-22-29.png

fr0mzer0

Jan 12, 2008
RI
Did it come down to a matter of the entire EEI network/affiliate stations in discussions as to why they kept 93.7 over 98.5? Not sure if that was a factor. You would think Entercom would have killed to get rid of the albatross known as Red Sox Radio.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Did it come down to a matter of the entire EEI network/affiliate stations in discussions as to why they kept 93.7 over 98.5? Not sure if that was a factor. You would think Entercom would have killed to get rid of the albatross known as Red Sox Radio.
98.5 has never had the Red Sox because no station up here can get WBZ, EVEN Portland uses a different media outlet that Atlantic Coast Communications, who has those rights has.... Sea Dogs radio network is owned/run through Gleason Media..... even the ECHL Mariners have ditched traditional radio for internet streaming through MixLr

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The higher ups at entercom must be regretting not keeping 98.5 and their relationship with the pats when they had the chance.

When Entercom bought CBS they had to then sell off some stations in Boston to get approved by the DOJ and they made some curious choices.

On February 2, 2017, CBS Radio announced it would merge with Entercom (which locally owned WEEI, WEEI-FM, WRKO, WKAF, and WAAF). WEEI, WEEI-FM, WBMX, WODS, and WAAF were retained by Entercom, while sister stations WBZ and WZLX, as well as WKAF and WRKO, were spun off to iHeartMedia (WBZ-FM would be traded to Beasley Broadcast Group in exchange for WMJX, making WBMX and WMJX sister stations.) The merger was approved on November 9, 2017, and was consummated on the 17th.

Earlier this year they sold off WAAF for peanuts and 2 weeks ago blew up WODS 103.3 by firing all the announcers and changing the format and callsign to WBGB.

The moves they made in Boston defied logic as they unloaded stations that made money. (WBZ-AM, WZLX) and still kept WEEI-AM which at best breaks even with their lease deal with ESPN.

CBS knew radio was dying and found a sucker in Entercom.

upload_2020-6-10_17-20-48-png.349505

fr0mzer0

Jan 12, 2008
RI
98.5 has never had the Red Sox because no station up here can get WBZ, EVEN Portland uses a different media outlet that Atlantic Coast Communications, who has those rights has.... Sea Dogs radio network is owned/run through Gleason Media..... even the ECHL Mariners have ditched traditional radio for internet streaming through MixLr

Sorry, my question was more wondering if Entercom owned all the affiliate stations across their network, and as a result, would have had to switch them all over to 98.5/changed all the formats had they chosen to keep Sports Hub over EEI.

The point I guess I was also making was that I would imagine under any situation, that Bruins/Pats/Celts rights have to be more valuable then Red Sox Radio, hence a larger confusion as to why they kept one over the other.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Sorry, my question was more wondering if Entercom owned all the affiliate stations across their network, and as a result, would have had to switch them all over to 98.5/changed all the formats had they chosen to keep Sports Hub over EEI.

The point I guess I was also making was that I would imagine under any situation, that Bruins/Pats/Celts rights have to be more valuable then Red Sox Radio, hence a larger confusion as to why they kept one over the other.
TSH is owned by Beasley.....

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Entercom owns the Red Sox stations in Worcester, Springfield and Providence, the others are locally owned.

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
WEEI has been even more hard to listen to than normal. I put it on periodically throughout the day and for some reason they keep talking politics. Listening to the morning show debate about race issues and acting like Jermaine Wiggins is the voice of the black community is so obnoxious. I like listening to shows about local politics on the radio, specifically Margery and Jim on WGBH, but these sports talk radio guys seem to have really strong opinions about matters they seem significantly misinformed in. At least when I switch over to Sports Hub they are least trying to discuss sports, even if there isn't a lot to talk about.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Virus permitting, there are jam-packed months of TV sports ahead - The Boston Globe

We could — could — even have them back in abundance and packed into a smaller time frame, filling some weekends with enough events that the batteries in our remote controls will be in serious danger of burnout.

Baseball could have seized our attention over the next couple of weeks had the owners and players been able to come to an agreement and hit the oft-stated and symbolic restart date of July 4. That hasn’t happened, of course, and so what remains of the summer, even if baseball returns, will belong to the NBA and NHL playoffs.

The NBA has a tentative start date in mind of July 30, per ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, with the NBA Finals ending no later than Oct. 12 on ESPN/ABC. (Game 7 of the Finals — might it have been between the Celtics and Lakers? — originally was scheduled for June 21 before the pandemic halted the season March 11. )

The NHL’s return plans are not as thorough yet — the two host “hub” cities have not even been determined — but it did announce Thursday that the 24 teams competing in the restart will report to training camp July 10.

The length of camp isn’t determined, but there has been speculation that the games would begin by the end of July (including the Bruins in a four-team round-robin to determine seeding). The Stanley Cup playoffs are arguably the best postseason in sports, and it’s going to be interesting to see how rights-holder NBC approaches the tweaked format.

The sports calendar will feel full once the NBA and NHL playoffs are under way, especially with the Celtics and Bruins prominently involved at the start. It’s rare that a team in either sport has more than two days in a row off during the postseason (though the Bruins did have a 10-day hiatus last year between the Eastern Conference finals and Stanley Cup Final), so there will be something compelling to watch just about every night.

Again, with or without baseball. And the NFL, to mix our sports metaphors, is waiting right there in the on-deck circle.

The Patriots are scheduled to report to training camp July 28. The first preseason game, versus the Lions on Channel 4, is slated for Aug. 23. The regular-season opener is Sunday, Sept. 13, on CBS, three days after the Chiefs and Texans kick off the season on NBC.

The most action-packed stretch of the sports schedule might come in mid October. The Patriots host the Broncos (1 p.m., CBS) on Sunday, Oct. 11. If the current NBA plan holds, Game 7 of the Finals would be on ABC on Monday, Oct. 12, while over on ESPN, the Chiefs and Chargers would be colliding on “Monday Night Football.”

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
WEEI has been even more hard to listen to than normal. I put it on periodically throughout the day and for some reason they keep talking politics. Listening to the morning show debate about race issues and acting like Jermaine Wiggins is the voice of the black community is so obnoxious. I like listening to shows about local politics on the radio, specifically Margery and Jim on WGBH, but these sports talk radio guys seem to have really strong opinions about matters they seem significantly misinformed in. At least when I switch over to Sports Hub they are least trying to discuss sports, even if there isn't a lot to talk about.

Right now there is no sports going on to speak of so they default to whatever is the biggest story out there. I haven't listened to sports radio since lockdown began. Not that I listen to it every day but from time to time I do if there is a major story. I doubt if I go back to doing even that much, I haven't missed it at all.

Reactions: Alicat

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I know there is no incentive for NESN do anything but I really wish they'd update their graphics and get rid of that damn ticker. However they know they have a large & captive audience so they just keep on going the way they have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad