OT: Official Sports Media Thread VIII - Milbury out as NBC hockey analyst after 14 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@GordonHowe

Bob Lobel has been looking for his famous panic button prop for years - It turns out Burton had it all along

92461134_10220522094575077_2793899929972506624_n.jpg

Those that know me on FB can look at who replied to my post in seconds

@Donnie Shulzhoffer Where are you when I need you?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Gasper will start at the station on Thursday, April 23. He will join a sports team that includes Duke Castiglione, Bob Halloran, and Mike Lynch.

“WCVB is a Boston institution that is welcomed into so many homes,’’ he said. “I’m thrilled to join Duke, Bob, and Lynchie as a member of the exceptional SportsCenter 5, and I’m excited about the opportunity to transition from sports columnist to television sports reporter.”

Gasper joined the Globe as a full-time employee for Boston.com in 2001 and began writing for the Globe’s North section in 2002. He moved to the Globe sports department full-time in 2006. In 2007 he covered the Patriots’ 16-0 regular season as the beat writer, a position he held from 2006-09.

“We’ll really miss having Chris’s unique voice and expert analysis in the pages of the Globe and on our website, but we wish him all the best in his new endeavor,’’ said Globe sports editor Matt Pepin.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Haggerty: Bruins paying the price for 2015 draft misfires

Depressing article. Before the draft, I wanted them to take Zboril, Konecny and the next best forward available, as I didn't think Connor would fall to us. Colin White was an intriguing prospect, given his all-around game. I said it at the time, but I knew we'd regret not taking Connor. He was the guy I wanted the most at the time. Based on the type of players the Bruins go after, I'm surprised that they didn't take Connor and/or Konecny, given that they compete hard and in the case of Konecny, is feisty and aggressive. Colin White also fit the type of player they liked, but there were some questions of his productivity due to having mono. A DeBrusk-Krejci-Connor, DeBrusk-Krejci-Konecny or even Connor-Krejci-Konecny would be the best 2nd line in hockey. Although I would've taken a shot at Barzal based on play-making potential and the fact that he fell to us, I can see an argument for the staff for passing on him at the time. There were some questions as to his goal-scoring potential and attitude. Taking Senyshyn instead of Connor or Konecny possibly cost us the Stanley Cup last year and would have possibly allowed us to hang on to Ryan Lindgren, as there wouldn't have been a need for a top 6 winger in 2017-2018 (a DeBrusk-Krejci-Connor/Konecny line would've sufficed).

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Haggerty: Bruins paying the price for 2015 draft misfires

Depressing article. Before the draft, I wanted them to take Zboril, Konecny and the next best forward available, as I didn't think Connor would fall to us. Colin White was an intriguing prospect, given his all-around game. I said it at the time, but I knew we'd regret not taking Connor. He was the guy I wanted the most at the time. Based on the type of players the Bruins go after, I'm surprised that they didn't take Connor and/or Konecny, given that they compete hard and in the case of Konecny, is feisty and aggressive. Colin White also fit the type of player they liked, but there were some questions of his productivity due to having mono. A DeBrusk-Krejci-Connor, DeBrusk-Krejci-Konecny or even Connor-Krejci-Konecny would be the best 2nd line in hockey. Although I would've taken a shot at Barzal based on play-making potential and the fact that he fell to us, I can see an argument for the staff for passing on him at the time. There were some questions as to his goal-scoring potential and attitude. Taking Senyshyn instead of Connor or Konecny possibly cost us the Stanley Cup last year and would have possibly allowed us to hang on to Ryan Lindgren, as there wouldn't have been a need for a top 6 winger in 2017-2018 (a DeBrusk-Krejci-Connor/Konecny line would've sufficed).
So in other words, Haggs is bored.

Congrats to Chris Gasper!

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Good move for Gasper as print media is literally a dying field. Plus he's excellent on the Sports Hub when he goes on. It's far better than the train wreck that does sports for Channel 7 in the morning. The poor girl is so clearly reading and doesn't know a thing about sports.

Reactions: rfournier103

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Most people only listen to the radio at work or in their cars and the ratings show a staggering drop off in listeners but WEEI has been hammered.

Capture1.PNG

Capture.PNG

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Hard to believe it has been 10 years since Fred passed - and yes he was everywhere

He spoke to the Globe a few days before he died

Recent interview with Cusick | Boston.com

There is even a picture of him in the 1948 World Series program at Braves Field under media.

Fred Cusick was born in the Brighton section of Boston. A graduate of (and former hockey player at) Northeastern University in Boston, Cusick began broadcasting sports at WCOP in Boston in 1941 while a senior at Northeastern, crediting his hockey background as the entree to the position. He subsequently went into the United States Navy in World War II, rising to lieutenant in command of a subchaser. After the war, he worked for several radio stations, hosting the popular Irish Hour on WVOM in Brookline, which focused on sports, especially hockey. After a brief time in Washington during the Korean War and upon the retirement of Bruins' radio broadcaster Frank Ryan, Cusick – paired with ex-Bruin Jack Crawford – became the radio play-by-play broadcaster of the Bruins from 1952 to 1963, during which time he was also Sports Director for WEEI radio in Boston.

Cusick was the announcer for the first US network NHL broadcast (CBS-TV in January 1957); he would spend four years in all working the NHL Game of the Week for CBS.

Fred Cusick was the color commentator on WEEI for the very first game of the fledgling American Football League, a Friday night contest between the Denver Broncos and the Boston Patriots on September 9, 1960, at Nickerson Field on the campus of Boston University. He served as the color man for Patriots radio between 1960 and 1964. He also had a notable interview with golfing legend Francis Ouimet in 1963, on the fiftieth anniversary of Ouimet's 1913 U.S. Open victory. It is the only video interview of Ouimet in existence.

In the early 1960s, Cusick was responsible for getting Boston Bruins' games on local television on a regular basis. In 1963, Bruins CEO Weston Adams asked Fred and producer/director Neal P. Cortel to arrange the first-ever live telecast of a Bruins game from the old Boston Garden. The experimental telecast was wildly popular, and later during the 1963/1964 season, Fred hosted the Sunday morning rebroadcasts of edited CBC Television tapes of Saturday night Bruins games in Montreal and Toronto; flown back overnight with the team, seen first at 9:00 AM on WMUR-TV in Manchester, New Hampshire and WTEV-TV (now WLNE-TV) in the Providence/New Bedford market the signal of which covered most of the Boston area), then at 1:00 PM on the old WHDH-TV (now WCVB-TV) in Boston, WWLP-TV in Springfield, and WRLP-TV in Northampton. Fred's telecasts were enormously popular, and within a few years, games would be shown live on WKBG and later began a long run at WSBK-TV.

From 1969 through 1971, Cusick was the radio voice of the Boston Bruins on WBZ-AM 1030 (Bob Wilson replaced him on WBZ-AM starting in 1972) when they reached the pinnacle of their popularity, winning their first Stanley Cup in 29 years in 1970, and setting a regular-season record for points and goals scored in 1970–71. His broadcasting partners were former NHL players Johnny Peirson in 1969–70 and Cal Gardner in 1970–71.

In 1971, Cusick returned to television, succeeding Don Earle, who had been hired by WSBK when they began covering the Boston Bruins, as play-by-play man for Bruins' games on WSBK with Peirson as his color man; when NESN was formed in 1984, he did double duty for 11 years, calling games for both channels. In his last years before he retired from broadcasting the Bruins, Cusick did games only for WSBK.

Just loved Fred. Thanks for this.

Reactions: BMC

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
its a great point, I just figured out Bluetooth on the car i got a couple months ago. Slow learner at these things, I was cruising around in a beat up 2002 accord using a tape deck before lol

Once you get it, you’ll never look back. I remember the days of the shit box. Once I hit 50 I decided I was going to live in ‘luxury’.
My teenagers make fun of me daily...

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
its a great point, I just figured out Bluetooth on the car i got a couple months ago. Slow learner at these things, I was cruising around in a beat up 2002 accord using a tape deck before lol

Three years ago, I got my second new car ever, after a tearful goodbye to my Honda after 14 years of service. I'm not a car person, but I am a gadget person, and the single CD player wasn't hacking it - honestly, the feature I was looking most forward to was the ability to play music from my phone.

I thought Sirius was a good upgrade, and it was...I still have it. But nothing beats a good Spotify playlist. My only regret in getting my Outback was that the very NEXT year, they put in Apple Carplay....but my iPhone integrates well enough.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Once you get it, you’ll never look back. I remember the days of the shit box. Once I hit 50 I decided I was going to live in ‘luxury’.
My teenagers make fun of me daily...

you gotta treat yourself eventually! That’s at least how I justified it to myself lol

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Three years ago, I got my second new car ever, after a tearful goodbye to my Honda after 14 years of service. I'm not a car person, but I am a gadget person, and the single CD player wasn't hacking it - honestly, the feature I was looking most forward to was the ability to play music from my phone.

I thought Sirius was a good upgrade, and it was...I still have it. But nothing beats a good Spotify playlist. My only regret in getting my Outback was that the very NEXT year, they put in Apple Carplay....but my iPhone integrates well enough.

love me some Spotify

honestly that was what I was looking forward to most too- that and the gas mileage. I was getting 22 mpg and spending $400 a month on gas from driving to customers houses. Now my car gets 40 but I of course am not running in person solar appointments now so I’ve spent $21 on gas in about 2.5 months lol

Business has ticked down a little bit as I can really only help out referrals right now (over zoom/FaceTime) since we don’t have a door knocking team going around but the lack of money spent on gas right now has pretty much made up for it

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yikes, those numbers are RIP WEEI low

Maybe I can finally get a rap station on cape cod!

Entercom last week pulled the plug on WODS (AMP 103) and the new format is jockless and automated

Radio station income has vanished in the past 12 weeks

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Do you think most of the media types, like restaurant workers, etc. will all get, or be able to get their jobs, or similar, once things actually start back up?

My industry is on the verge of ruin.

In theory, we should be having crews in 16 NHL cities, 16 NBA cities and all of MLB

Now at best we have 2 hubs for the NHL, 1 hub for the NBA and baseball who the heck knows

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Print media has been dying since businesses discovered they could advertise on the Internet for less money. Advertising revenues is what made money for print media, not subscriptions.

My generation is probably the last to value print media. The younger generations are all about the Internet. I'll bet in another 10 years you won't even be able to buy a newspaper or magazine everything will be online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad