OT: Official Sports Media Thread VIII - Milbury out as NBC hockey analyst after 14 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Because of the effects of the pandemic on listenership — so much of a sports radio station’s audience comes from listeners in the car — Nielsen has advised potential advertisers not to make buying decisions on data from the COVID-19 period. The radio listening audience in Boston dropped approximately 40 percent in the spring compared to the previous six months.

upload_2020-7-8_20-11-10.png

upload_2020-7-8_20-12-18.png

Sports Hub leaves WEEI in the spring ratings dust - The Boston Globe

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Golf seems to be doing ok, but the big winner is MMA. They’ve used the time to fill a need and I’m sure they’ve gained fans.

MMA has definitely made out well in this pandemic, but I also look at that sport as a cautionary tale for the rest of the leagues looking to return. Every card the UFC puts on ends up looking drastically different than what they announced because people end up getting tested and coming back positive for Covid. Even this one on Saturday. There were 2 or 3 fighters pulled and a handful of coaches too. I like the main event of Usman vs Masvidal better than Usman vs Burns which was the original, but still. Lots of positive tests.

Reactions: Joe Zanussi

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
To fill the void I've been watching classic sports: MSG has been airing Rangers & Knicks games, and ESPN Classic & MLB Network have been showing playoff series. Also catching Bruins & Sox classic games on NESN. It's been fun to watch, lots of good memories.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
To fill the void I've been watching classic sports: MSG has been airing Rangers & Knicks games, and ESPN Classic & MLB Network have been showing playoff series. Also catching Bruins & Sox classic games on NESN. It's been fun to watch, lots of good memories.

Any Knicks games from the Bernard King era? Before he tore up his knee, he was incredible to watch.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Is it really though? Couldn't pay me enough money to waste my time on a Premier League game, let alone MLS. :laugh:

I'm trying to convince myself to enjoy it, TSN radio has a lot of Impact soccer talk which I usually change the channel on bt hockey segments , but at the end of the day MLS isn't near the elite leagues in terms of quality of play. Shameful they were so quick to give a D league soccer team a stadium but ran the expos out of town

Reactions: LSCII

incidental otter

Registered Spraint
May 27, 2015
From the reporting on training camp, you'd never know Pasta and Kase's outings had been outed on social media.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
After getting fired, Roenick could've gone down one of two paths

A. Take the L, rehabilitate his image by putting in time working at local RSNs or smaller networks and behaving himself for a while and eventually getting his way back to the top
B. Lean into it and go full Schilling to make quick money off the reactionary radio show circuit at the cost of his reputation to ever be taken seriously again.

Looks like we know what he chose.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Laughable. He said grossly inappropriate things about his coworkers in a public setting. He got what he deserved because he was stupid.

If everyone was treated equally for their big mouths and **** they say there would be no tv,radio, or "sport" talk radio.

The network though his shtick was funny that's why they hired him in the first place. Nooooow they are offended? LOL frauds.

I hope he gets millions and I don't like him either

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I may be in the minority, but I think what Felger said about Roy Halladay was worse. Hell, it sounded like he was even clapping his hands. That said, 98.5 made the right call by not caving to the social media outrage/cancel crew.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Laughable. He said grossly inappropriate things about his coworkers in a public setting. He got what he deserved because he was stupid.
What makes this even laughable is that the podcast gave him the opportunity to remove that part of the interview and he declined to.

We don't know what is in JR's employee file but I would imagine the employment lawyers over at NBC Sports looked over everything before the plug was pulled.

They'll settle before it ever gets to discovery.

Reactions: LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad